Food thread for RU

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Ok everybody here is the thread for posting what you are planning on bringing. Since I am hosting I am bringing the grill. After that I will see what you all bring before deciding on what to make.

Also for those of you spending the night in Odessa we have several places to eat. There is Pizza Hut, McDonalds, Morgans, Subway, Cafe that is in downtown Odessa, El Caminos Mexican Restaurant, Sonic, Taco Johns, and there might be a couple others I'm missing.

This message was edited Jan 7, 2008 1:10 PM

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

I bring pumpkin muffins.

Mmmm...sounds good!!! :~) And you are bringing Rusty right???

(Cathy), MO

Give me an idea of what kinds of things to bring. Picnic type stuff? Hot stuff?

Whatever you want to bring. All foods welcome. Hot and cold. Even alligator! LOL!!

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

Yes, I am bring Rusty this time...

(Cathy), MO

If I bring something in a crock pot, will there be somewhere to plug it in?

Yes, you can bring it in the house and plug it in. That will be no problem. :~)

Whoo hoo!! I get to meet Rusty!! lol

(Cathy), MO

I'll see what receipes I can dig up!

Great!! I can't wait!! Now I am hungry again and I just ate. lol

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

I have the unopened katsup & mustard from the last RU so I'll bring them. As well as relish, pickles, etc. I can do the napkins/paper towels & plastic plates,glasses, & silverware too. I'll bring a waste paper basket and plastic bags for the deposit of the dirty plates, glasses, and silverware to bring home and wash for future RUs. I hate disposable dishes and such. The landfills are filling up way to rapidly nowadays. I'm sure someone will be glad to have the food scrapes. If not, I'll take them because my critters and compost pile will love them.

I have no idea what else I'll bring at this point. Probably fresh fruits and veggies.

This message was edited Jan 13, 2008 12:48 PM

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

I will bring HAMBURGER BUNS: 2 Dozen

BROWNIES OR BAR COOKIES

Thanks EvaMae and birder for bringing those.

My dad wanted to pass along to those of you coming off of I-70 that there is a nice hotel in the next town east of here called the Camelot Inn in Higginsville. It also has a restaurant and is only 10 min from Odessa. There is also a Super 8 across the road.

www.camelotinn.net/?OVRAW=Camelot%20Inn%2C%20Higginsville%20MO&OVKEY=higginsville%20lodging&OVMTC=advanced&OVADID=5718548521&OVKWID=44528646521

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

Odessa is a neat town from what I have seen of it. It has a nice farm supply store if that is an attraction to anyone.

Feldman's is the name of it. Right off of 131.

Here is Odessa's main site. www.cityofodessamo.com/

Here is a map of Odessa from Mapquest. Gives you a better idea of location. www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?searchtype=address&country=US&city=Odessa&state=MO

A winery. There are others in the area also. www.odessacountrywinery.com/

Powell Gardens is in Kingsville and is also where I work but is a great place to check out. Not that far from Odessa.

We also have some fishing holes. One is near my grandma and the other one is Lake Venita which is right off of 40 hwy. The park is on the other side of the lake.

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

Okay Pepper when I get there you have to make a sign for that I can see where at....Like Leaflady's sign....

I might stay for a overnight at motel and hopefully I can go to Powell Garden next day....

I will have signs up for everyone starting at HH hwy. I might put one up just outside of town but won't know for sure til I do it.

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

That will be good... Not out of the town...

(Cathy), MO

I started looking at recipes this evening. I'm not sure what to bring. Would it be better to bring a main dish, side dish or dessert? And please don't say anything! This is my first time remember? I have no idea what I'm doing! LOL

LOL. Just bring what ever sounds good. Heck you can bring hamburger patties if you want!! LOL.

(Cathy), MO

Is that what you guys normally do? Hamburgers or hotdogs?

We do that and we also grill chicken. EvaMae or whoever does the grilling always do mean chicken. But we also try *exotic* foods. lol. Like alligator. Tetelytuna brought some alligator to the last one. We fried them up and ate em. They were good too!! And there is a funny story behind that. I'll d-mail you the thread if I can find it.

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

LOL Don't bring alligator again!

LOL!!! That was just too funny!! I hope she can make it to this one. Will have to d-mail her and find out.

(Cathy), MO

LOL. My grandma has a mean recipe for BBQ possum!!!

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

I won't touch this again you have to warn me this time... I get sick again...

Sorry you got sick from it Anna.

Cat, that's funny!!

(Cathy), MO

My uncle cooks raccoon all the time. I could probably talk him out of some!

LOL. I'm sure some of us would be brave enough to try some.

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

Oh, I love frog legs! It's good...
Raccoon I never try this time....

Ok, possum I know is greasy and I don't want to even think of trying that. Racoons, considering what they eat kinda scare me now. lol

Frog legs definitely good!!!

(Cathy), MO

Ok Ok how about snake?

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

I use frog legs in buttermilk and let sit overnight and with flour or your favorite breadcrumbs or other thing then fry them...It make meat very tender...

UGH!!! I have been told it tastes like chicken but alligator is good enough non chicken for me!! lol

Anna, frog legs sound good!

(Cathy), MO

What did alligator taste like?

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

Chicken!

Spicy chicken. A coworker brought some in to work last summer and had me try some. I didn't know it wasn't chicken til he told me. Then tetlytuna, another member on here, brought alligator from a restaurant in her town and we fried them up. If I remember correctly those also tasted like chicken. Wasn't too bad.

(Cathy), MO

I'll probably bring something very normal and boring Anna. No alligaor! LOL But I agree, frog legs are delicious.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images