Photo by Melody

Article: Amaryllis 101: Caring for Amaryllis Plants and Making Your Amaryllis Bloom Again Next Year: Interesting artical

Communities > Forums > Article: Amaryllis 101: Caring for Amaryllis Plants and Making Your Amaryllis Bloom Again Next Year
bookmark
Forum: Article: Amaryllis 101: Caring for Amaryllis Plants and Making Your Amaryllis Bloom Again Next YearReplies: 13, Views: 112
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

January 7, 2008
11:31 PM

Post #4372804

Lovely pictures and a very interesting artical. Thanks for the information, I recieved one of these plants for Christmas, now I know what to do with it!
doccat5
Fredericksburg, VA
(Zone 7b)

January 8, 2008
9:57 AM

Post #4374613

Loved the 2nd part too. I think I can make this work thanks to all your great information. I happened to hit the after Xmas sales and got a bunch of amaryllis on sale. I gave some away as Xmas gifts, so I'm forwarding your instructions on care to those ladies. Hopefully they can get more than one season's enjoyment from the bulbs. I've got 4 growing right now. The Veda has bloomed, it's lovely, not real tall stem, but I'm delighted to see the flower.

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

January 8, 2008
10:11 AM

Post #4374623

Jill, what a wonderful article, congratulations ! So interesting about the eight weeks before blooming! I have 2 amaryllis and I'm going to do more of them when I'll move in the new house and they'll have more room .
Adina
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

January 8, 2008
2:42 PM

Post #4375162

Thanks! I will warn you that these beauties can be addictive... but those huge blooms are such fun, especially in the middle of winter! I'm glad you're encouraged to try more of them.

Doccat, I've had ones that bloomed on really short stems, too. I'm not sure what causes that, exactly, but I've had people tell me that it's not necessarily anything I did... the bloom you get the first year is determined by things that happen before the bulb reaches you. At least there's no danger of those "shorties" toppling over! I had one before Christmas that bloomed on a 3 inch stem, with the blooms hanging over the edge of the pot! Strange looking.
doccat5
Fredericksburg, VA
(Zone 7b)

January 8, 2008
2:59 PM

Post #4375207

Well, it's really pretty colors and I'm enjoying a "real" flower in the middle of kitchen table right now! :)
AYankeeCat
Fairfield County, CT
(Zone 6b)

January 8, 2008
3:08 PM

Post #4375244

What perfect timing! I gave amaryllis for Christmas presents and now I can tuck growing instructions in with my thank you cards!
Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

January 8, 2008
4:20 PM

Post #4375477

Wonderful article Jill. Very helpful. Cindy
Indy
Alexandria, IN
(Zone 6a)

January 8, 2008
6:55 PM

Post #4376026

Very nice article.
I've got some that are several years old and do they multiply!! They are just now starting to bloom.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Euless, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 8, 2008
9:31 PM

Post #4376651

There are some - African or South American or maybe Polar ones - that are specially supposed to be shorter so they're not as top-heavy. But not 5" tall! The kind I bought LAST year that I'm trying to get to bloom again THIS year were this new, special, shorter, maybe even a little smaller, I don't know type. Great idea, Cat! And I like them blooming in February and March when it's really bleak around here. There's enough going on at the holidays! xx, Carrie
McGlory
Southeast, NE
(Zone 5a)

January 9, 2008
12:47 AM

Post #4377438

Great article, as usual, Jill. I'm positive that your instructions will work. I'm not positive that I'll remember to follow them. Sigh. Got a stalk coming up on one right now. Thanks for the article and your good timing on it.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 9, 2008
12:58 AM

Post #4377494

Jill, I was wondering where you were. I realy enjoyed the article and felt it told me everything I need to know.
i have grown them for quite a few years but have only heard to plant them in shade. However, I saw a whole patch of them in full sun at the community garden. Glad you confirmed it is OK.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

January 9, 2008
1:25 AM

Post #4377636

Actually, I think mine got a little too much shade from my bananas this year... They survived but didn't gain much size. Next year, I'll make sure they go front and center for more sunshine so the bulbs get bigger!
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 22, 2008
4:49 PM

Post #4438448

Hey, Jill -- someone linked to your article from her blog. :)
http://plotblog-lilymarlene.blogspot.com/2008/01/friend-in-us-has-given-me-this.html
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

January 22, 2008
4:54 PM

Post #4438473

Cool! I feel like I've "arrived" as a card-carrying member of the information age. :-)

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Amaryllis 101: Caring for Amaryllis Plants and Making Your Amaryllis Bloom Again Next Year Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
in ground LouC 11 Jan 12, 2012 1:45 PM
fertilizer happy_macomb 4 Jan 18, 2008 10:35 PM
amaryllis fergie50 1 Feb 12, 2008 3:41 PM
won't bloom outdoors?! sheersheri 5 May 14, 2008 3:53 AM
amaryllis vandal!! lnorris 1 May 13, 2008 4:05 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America