Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: Amaryllis 101: Caring for Amaryllis Plants and Making Your Amaryllis Bloom Again Next Year: in ground

Communities > Forums > Article: Amaryllis 101: Caring for Amaryllis Plants and Making Your Amaryllis Bloom Again Next Year
bookmark
Forum: Article: Amaryllis 101: Caring for Amaryllis Plants and Making Your Amaryllis Bloom Again Next YearReplies: 11, Views: 135
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 8, 2008
6:54 PM

Post #4376020

Thank you for more information on one of my favorites. My 95 year old aunt passed away some 5 years ago. She had literally over a hundred bulbs growing in her yard. We dug as many as we could without falling over and brought them home to go into the ground again.
Have also planted out any that were forced around Christmas. Because we do have freezes but not ground freeze, I don't dig them. They are gorgeous in the spring. Have continued to multiply and I am looking forward to another wondrous show this year.
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

January 8, 2008
10:54 PM

Post #4376969

Like Lou, we can leave them in the ground all year here. I have some that came with the house that I am told have been here for 40 years. Actually, one bulb came with the house. It was a feeble little neglected thing about the size of a walnut that I found when pulling out overgrown junk. I didn't even know what it was - though I did know what amaryllis were - except that it was probably some kind of flower. I moved it to where it wouldn't get crowded out and didn't pay any particular attention to it except that it probably gets rose food since it is near a rose bush. In a few years it bloomed and now I have a nice little clump of bulbs.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

January 8, 2008
11:11 PM

Post #4377019

You two are giving me a major case of zone envy, although the unseasonal 70 degree weather we had today definitely helps!
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

January 8, 2008
11:16 PM

Post #4377043

That's warmer than here today. Does that help?
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

January 8, 2008
11:17 PM

Post #4377044

Why yes, it does! :-)
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

January 8, 2008
11:20 PM

Post #4377055

:-)
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 9, 2008
12:49 AM

Post #4377451

From what I have learned on DG, the problem of the ground freezing is what sets most of us apart. I do mulch but still don't have to worry about ground freeze. Just asking, does heavy mulching hold off on the ground freeze?
Seandor
Springfield, MA
(Zone 6a)

January 9, 2008
1:23 AM

Post #4377623

Great article, critter Now I don't feel so bad that I didn't let my amaryllis go dormant earlier. Gee, maybe I should bring it upstairs now. :-)
maternut
Gates, TN

January 10, 2011
9:21 AM

Post #8302482

I have been growing them for about ten years outside. Zone 7 NW Tn. Sometimes I mulch and sometimes I forget. They come back each year. Used to throw them away and buy new ones every year, until a dear friend said put them in the ground. Don't know as I have ever lost any and I have gave lots of them away.
Katlian
Carson City, NV
(Zone 6b)

January 12, 2012
8:56 AM

Post #8964715

I like to leave mine in the ground until the leaves get lightly frosted. The leaves naturally shrivel after a frost and I dig them up and store them under the house for a few weeks. Two years ago I forgot to dig them in time and it got quite cold and froze the top inch of soil in the garden. I dug them up to see if anything could be saved and they were just fine, not mushy like I expected. When I put them in pots a couple of weeks later they grew just fine. I think they're a bit hardier than most people give them credit for.

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

January 12, 2012
12:28 PM

Post #8964990

Well, good information here. I am zone 7a in Middle Tennessee and have not had Amaryllis in the ground ... but now must try that here.

Heavy mulching keeps the ground from freezing as deeply and protects roots more. But depending on the zone, it doesn't prevent the ground from freezing altogether. :)
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

January 12, 2012
1:45 PM

Post #8965096

I'm not leaving mine out there! :-) I suppose I might try it with one or two "extra" bulbs, but otherwise I'm not taking the chance. Good to know some have success overwintering them outside in cooler zones, though!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Amaryllis 101: Caring for Amaryllis Plants and Making Your Amaryllis Bloom Again Next Year Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Interesting artical terriculture 13 Jan 22, 2008 4:54 PM
fertilizer happy_macomb 4 Jan 18, 2008 10:35 PM
amaryllis fergie50 1 Feb 12, 2008 3:41 PM
won't bloom outdoors?! sheersheri 5 May 14, 2008 3:53 AM
amaryllis vandal!! lnorris 1 May 13, 2008 4:05 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America