(almost) Everything Old is New Again - Farmhouse part 3

Schroon Lake, NY(Zone 4a)

This is my continuation of the farmhouse saga that has been going on for over a year now.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/644758/

The house has been stripped to the beams for the most part and will be rebuilt. There is framing going up outside the timberframe, which will allow for R45 foam insulation, and support a new hot-cold R45 roof with rubberized ice/water shield. The windows are being framed in, with thought to the spectacular views in each direction. Oh I hate to have to have walls, except on the day when I shot the first pictures when it was well below zero with the wind....the views were still fabulous, but it was nippy in the "kitchen"!

Thumbnail by dmcdevitt

The project started up again when our builder became available....on the coldest days of the year, with the windchill well below zero.

The above picture shows the plate outside of the timber frame, upon which the new framing will sit. This will allow the timber frame to be completely exposed inside, and allow for R45 insulation.

Here they are putting up the sections of framing:

Thumbnail by dmcdevitt

From the inside:

Thumbnail by dmcdevitt

And looking back to what will be the fireplace (in the middle of the plastic) which will be open to both the kitchen and diningroom:

Thumbnail by dmcdevitt

Dogs supervising, from the upstairs north bedroom looking north. We had wanted to have a window from here which would overlook the kitchen so that we could still see the view, but the chimney will need to go through the middle.

The upstairs 4 little bedrooms and no closets will become 2 decent sized bedrooms. The roof slopes, but it will be cathedral ceilings (with the excellent insulation and roofing system) and the original exposed pegged trees.

This message was edited Jan 10, 2008 7:58 AM

Thumbnail by dmcdevitt

And this is looking east from the same spot, to the passageway to the bathroom area. The mess comes and goes here, but I like to have it recorded so I see the progress!

Thumbnail by dmcdevitt

THe south two rooms that will become one:

Thumbnail by dmcdevitt

Uncovering lots of rot!

Thumbnail by dmcdevitt

Same view three days later, walls and doorways gone. Look at the windows I'm going to have on the south!! All new framing was necessary. (Okay I see why everyone thought we were crazy to do this...but I wanted to save this house!!)

Thumbnail by dmcdevitt

The kitchen, all framed in. The gable end windows will match the bedroom windows above, custom made, to follow the pitch of the roof.

The kitchen will have french doors to the deck, flanked by windows. I hate to lose any of the view but this is the north side!!!

Thumbnail by dmcdevitt

Three days later, the north bedroom area, seen from the top of the stairs. The opening looking onto the kitchen is sheathed. The west roofing will be ripped off and beadboard ceilings put on (to the left of the picture). There will be new log collar ties in place of the pieced-together ties from the past.

Thumbnail by dmcdevitt

Here's the view from the outside. Obviously, it has warmed up from the subzeroes - yeah, into the 50's!!

Thumbnail by dmcdevitt

Carving back the grade in order to pour footings for the porch, which will wrap around:

(I'm already planting it in my mind!!)

Thumbnail by dmcdevitt

The winds that brought the temps from 0 to 50 blew down what was left of the last barn:

Thumbnail by dmcdevitt

Dog tired, from all the excitement!

Thumbnail by dmcdevitt
So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Isn't it great when framing starts? Looks like wonderful progress! (and the curtains are funny...)

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Looking good!
The most fun in construction is taking an old building and making it useful.
We are updating & adding to our house. We have been at it for 4 years. This summer will add to the living room & master bedroom. Also will have a 4 season porch/office/sewing room.
Everything we do, we are keeping the original look of the outside. This house was built in the 20's I think.
I like that big hill behind the house & the view of the meadow/woods.
Bernie

Thumbnail by CountryGardens

THanks!

We are having the siding milled out of cedar to match the original, all millwork will be identical to the original, so the front will be substantially the same.

The current house configuration dates to the 30's. THe original balloon frame, plain box house with fireplace, &two rooms downstairs, and open loft, is from 1832. It was lived in until 1995, but never updated from the 30s.

It's important to me to keep the look. I remember this "standard" farmhouse from childhood. Most of them fell into disrepair and were bulldozed and replaced with modern houses. This particular farm is kind of a landmark, sitting relatively unchanged at the foot of Hogback mountain since the 1830's.

I agree Bernie, it will be useful. We're keeping the best of the past and sandwiching in the best of now (ie insulation). The original had only a couple inches of airspace in the ceilings and some blown in cellulose. Brrrr in this climate!

Our builder is sort of like you in creativity and skill. Some guys are skilled but not much attention to detail. This guy has so many ideas for using nooks and crannies, and the skill to do it in the style that will look original.

Northeast, PA(Zone 6b)

I was thinking about you the other day DMC. Its nice to see the
progress again! And burrrr is right. YOu'll be very happy to have
all that insulation in there. Looking good!

none of ur business, OK(Zone 5b)

looking good dmc
:)
sue

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Good to see more progress. I showed them to DH and he was fascinated too. But what a job!

Ann

Corinth, NY(Zone 4b)

Wow, you are coming right along. It will be beautiful when your all done.
Are you ready for the snow tonight????

I think we're ready for the snow.....

Brewers, KY(Zone 6b)

lots of progress in those pictures. The place is going to be beautiful..and what a view!

The whole upstairs gutted, reframed on the N, E and S walls. The west wall and dormers will be dismantled, and roof taken off, after the new bedroom walls are framed, to stabilize the whole thing and add support. We are making what was four bedrooms (and no closets, just clothes hooks behind the door) into two good size bedrooms. There will be a bath with just shower (no tub) in the addition, so that we can have space for a sitting area/reading nook with that gorgeous mountain view.

Thumbnail by dmcdevitt

Zoe checks out the view from the future master bedroom dormer

Thumbnail by dmcdevitt

North bedroom area from top of stairs, looking to bath/nook : Meant to add, the collar ties (those cross pieces in the pic) will be replaced by log ties, and raised to 8'.

This message was edited Jan 14, 2008 11:26 AM

Thumbnail by dmcdevitt

New livingroom framed in. Two double windows on the south side, and two windows each on the east and west should make this a nice sunny room. It will be sheetrocked, and be 12x24.

Here's the picture:

Thumbnail by dmcdevitt

Standing in the dining room, looking toward the kitchen. THis will only have two west windows so it will be a darker room, but will be open to the kitchen. There will be a see-through fireplace between the two beams, between the kitchen and dining room.

Thumbnail by dmcdevitt

House from the back meadow

Thumbnail by dmcdevitt
Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Looking good. I'll have to try for a drive down there this summer.

Ann

south of Grand Rapid, MI(Zone 5a)

Awesome....what a load of work!!! Love the windows and what a magnificient view you will have!!

Paris, TN(Zone 6b)

Really coming along beautifully :) So nice to watch a WIP (Work In Progress) and see dreams come to fruition!

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

WoW, Dorothy, Things are looking wonderful!!

Thanks!!

Well the windows are imaginary for now of course. (They're framed in but we haven't got an estimate $$$ much less paid for them!!)

I love going up there and as risky as it may seem to be to put all the money into it, it sure seems like a place we want to stay.

I heard today that the septic's going in, the pond's getting dug, and the mountains of scrap are getting moved out. It's a good time for digging, the ground is firm but not frozen solid (the only time they can get in to do the pond). Crossed fingers that it comes out good.

Corinth, NY(Zone 4b)

Good Morning,
Have I missed the update on your house? How is it coming along? Ect ect :)

Candy

We've been bsy with veggie gardens in Schroon. The house made lots of progress in late winter. The crew started working on a nice brisk well below zero day. I'll have to hunt out the pictures, but in essence the whole thing was reframed. The windows came in, the brand new to the market Jeld-wen R50 equivalent (the most energy efficient windows yet made), and those have all been installed. The siding went on, except for the front, and the front door still is not installed.

Otherwise, it's a shell with a fair amount of wiring done. The porch is unreal - just fabulous. And we went ahead and authorized digging a pond in a soggy spot in the hayfield. I wanted the topsoil for my gardens. Well, I don't have the topsoil spread (still) but the digging had to be done while the ground was frozen. They hit 5 springs and had to pump it out to dig.

It got pricey, but it has finally filled to the top, 20 feet deep, and is just spectacular. It's still a little cloudy which I guess happens with clay ponds (oh, the clay was pure blue clay, from 3' below the surface down to 20')

Here's the side of the house and the pond. They painted the siding (cedar) before putting it up.

What a change, isn't it???

Thumbnail by dmcdevitt

Putting gardens in on the south side of the house in June

Thumbnail by dmcdevitt

Here's the front on July 10 - I was so happy with the flower border! it has been completely neglected (although I did weed it before taking its picture!)

Thumbnail by dmcdevitt

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images