January 2008 Daily Weather; Talk about whacky!

Okeechobee, FL(Zone 10a)

Well 2008's weather bolted in by giving the SE United States with a good hard two nights of chill. We then rebounded to a leap year spring like balmy weather with highs in the 70s and nights above 50 here in NE Florida.
I just hope it stays above freezing here and below everywhere it's supposed to be.
I must say all this sunshine is very cheerful and my coleus are thriving.
Please come by often with your pictures and your weather.
I often don't comment near enough. I do however enjoy everyone that comes here for all your uniqueness and joys we share here.
Here's a sunset from last week.
Sidney

Thumbnail by sugarweed
Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

That's beautiful, Sidney!!

(Zone 3b)

10~ dark/ 8am
Snow in the morning...then a chance of snow in the afternoon. Snow accumulation up to 1 inch. Storm total snow accumulation 2 to 4 inches. Highs in the teens. Light winds.
The photo is beautiful, Sidney.
Will return later.
Kiska

Amelia Island, FL(Zone 9a)

Sidney Beautiful start picture!
Rann Thanks : ) New background pictures! Theyre beautiful.
Marsue LOL! Socks or Bottomless Pit! Big boy can put away the food!
Marylyn Drink lots of water! If you dont care for water, you can always drink the flavored waters. They have little to no calories. Have fun!
Kiska 10* Brrrr!! But a great temp for snow!

74.5 F / 23.6 C
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 40%
Dew Point: 49 F / 9 C
Wind: 1.0 mph / 1.6 km/h / 0.4 m/s from the SE
Wind Gust: 3.1 mph / 5.0 km/h
Pressure: 30.09 in / 1018.8 hPa (Falling)
Heat Index: 77 F / 25 C
Visibility: 10.0 miles / 16.1 kilometers
UV: 3 out of 16
Clouds: Few 5000 ft / 1524 m
Mostly Cloudy 25000 ft / 7620 m

Did y'all hear about this? http://www.flatoday.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080109/BREAKINGNEWS/80109006

This message was edited Jan 10, 2008 12:42 PM

Thumbnail by MySharona
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

Sharon - "Is the creek spring fed?" - I guess so, though not right were that picture was taken. There are a lot of little seeps running into it right now since the Santa Monica Mountains got 5 inches of rain over the weekend.

Joey, it is called Red Rock Canyon because a lot of the rocks are pink. However, my camera doesn't do red very well so they look more like orange. I couldn't adjust the color without making everything look strange. The colors here are more accurate http://www.lamountains.com/parks.asp?parkid=47

Marsue, you're right. There are not very many flat places in the Santa Monica Mountains. I'm sure their ruggedness is what kept them from being built all over long ago. There are tiny communities and houses all over the place, but there are also big chunks of open space that are now parks. The variety of houses is interesting, from mega-mansions to "normal" houses to almost Appalachian. (Not much Appalchian anymore. Not really any new "normal" houses, either. The land is too expensive. Anyone who can afford to buy there now can afford to put up a mansion.)

Nilwood, IL(Zone 5b)

Raining here at 46 degrees. We need every drop that falls. I think we are about 5inches behind still. We are to get back to winter this week with temps in the 30s days and 20s at night. BEV

Bev - Congratulations on the rain! We are in need as well. Way too low here as well.

64.0 F / 17 C
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 77%
Dew Point: 56 F / 13 C
Wind: 1.0 mph / 1 km/h from the SSE
Wind Gust: 7.4 mph / 11 km/h
Pressure: 30.00 in / 1015.8 hPa (Falling)
UV: 0 out of 16
Clouds: Scattered Clouds 5500 ft / 1676 m

Tonight
Partly cloudy. Patchy fog after midnight. Low 59. South winds 5 to 10 mph.

The changes begins tomorrow. I'm looking forward to the rain as much as I am the cooler temps! Sunset tonight

Thumbnail by MySharona
Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

Our beautiful warm unseasonable weather is coming back to normal. Temps now in the high 30"s, very gusty winds. Forecast for 1.5+ inches of rain tonight and tomorrow. Then freezing temps on Sunday night, mixed with snow. Have to keep the bird feeders full.

Thumbnail by se_eds
KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Had lots of rain this morning and then a bit of snow right before dusk.

I am feeling better today. Almost normal for a little while. Hopefully I can be back to terrorizing everyone at work tomorrow instead of looking at them and going Huh?. lol.

Currently: 33F Cloudy
Currently: 0C Cloudy
Wind: Northwest at 14 MPH
Humidity: 72%
Dewpoint: 25F
Barometer: 29.76 inches and rising
Wind Chill: 23F
Wind: Northwest at 22 KPH
Humidity: 72%
Dewpoint: -3C
Barometer: 1007 millibars and rising
Wind Chill: -5 C

(Zone 3b)

8 The temp dropped a bit from this morning and will continue.
Tonight:
Snow accumulation up to 1 inch. Lows around zero. Light winds.
MySharona~What an awful pile-up of vehicles; thanks for the link.
Love the photos ,too.
Kelli~very interesting and nice to learn more. Glad you have an interest in the history and that you so readily pass it along.
se_eds~the birds will be happy that you're keeping them fed. What a mix of weather to deal with.
Bev~hope it's still raining there and makes up some that is needed.
Time to get ready for high school hockey game~"Senior " gson plays tonight.
Kiska

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

We've gone from 70 Tues
to a Tornado Watch overnight
and then 39 yesterday...
To 45 today at 4 PM
then a T-Storm and now it's 55..

Man my sinuses are going crazy!

Ric

Same here weather wise. And skip the sinuses and go straight for the hard head cold. And the weird part is I feel better when outside in the cold weather than inside in all the heat.

Se_eds The rollercoaster is getting ready to start again! Hang on!
Pepper Youre cracking me up - Huh?! Thats exactly how we feel! Glad youre feeling better.
Ric So are minesigh another allergy pill!

63.1 F / 17.3 C
Overcast
Humidity: 82%
Dew Point: 58 F / 14 C
Wind: Calm
Wind Gust: 5.4 mph / 8.7 km/h
Pressure: 29.94 in / 1013.8 hPa (Steady)
Clouds: Few 6000 ft / 1828 m
Overcast 25000 ft / 7620 m

Today
Mostly cloudy. A slight chance of showers and thunderstorms in the morning...then a chance of showers and thunderstorms in the afternoon. High 72. Southwest winds 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 40 percent.

Have yall seen this post? Read it when you have some time, its hysterical
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/530015/

Thumbnail by MySharona
Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Good Morning! It's pouring the rain! Dyson, I do believe that it's coming your way! The rain gauge says 1"! :D At the moment we have 50 & it will get cooler as the day goes along. LOL - Jack just had a God bath & we had to play the "towel game".! :D
In Dublin at the airport...
Cloudy: 54F
Feels like: 54F
Barometer: 29.6 in
Dewpoint: 52
Humidity: 94%
Visibility: 10 miles
Wind: 17 mph SSW
Sunrise: 7:37 AM
Sunset: 5:25 PM

Sidney, Love your sunset! Wow! Great Colors!:D
Kelli, thanks for the link! Quite interesting! :D We have a sandstone rock on display in the yard that we dug up & it actually has a white stripe in it. We call those kind "river rock", because they are so smooth.
Se_eds, Thanks for reminding me! I have a bird feeder that I have completely forgotten about! Stay dry & enjoy these spring-like temps! They are calling for snow here, but you will get it 1st.
Kiksa, How did the game go? Did they win? :D
Sharon, Great shot of Sylvester on the "prowl"! :D And your Christmas cactus is Red! w/ your new camera! :D
Rann, Beautiful sky! :D
Ric, I think if we would get some "real" winter that maybe the sinus problems would leave! Hope you don't go too "crazy"! :D
Marylyn, Tell DH ~ Happy (belated) Birthday! :D

The answer to the trivia is....B (Sharon, It's a trick chemistry question! ) :D
The Sun emits most of its energy in the visible light spectrum. This is a result of the Sun's temperature.

The trivia for today is...
What city has been hit with the most tornadoes?
a) Dallas, TX
b) Wichita, KS
c) Oklahoma City, OK
d) Des Moines, IA

Have a Marvelous Day!
Joey

Thumbnail by music2keep
Balotesti, Romania(Zone 5a)

Wow, guys, your pics are gorgeous! Such views, sunsets, plants and sweet pets!
I've been away for so long, but I'm going to recuperate and post more pics from our trip to the mountains. It's freezing here, about 10 every morning and not more than 20 at noon. Lots of snow and it's still snowing everyday with tiny little snowflakes.
Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti

The river was almost frozen!

Thumbnail by adinamiti

Pinetrees too.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

It was so cloudy we could hardly see the sun at sunset!

Thumbnail by adinamiti
(Zone 5a)

It's been a pretty nice day here today, light breeze, a high of 32F and partly cloudy. The sun was mostly lost in the clouds but there were some rays that made it through today :-) Now (9:30 pm) it's 14F and fairly calm, only about 6 mph breeze.

Adina - great photos from your trip!

Sidney - gorgeous sunset photo!

Sharon - thanks :-) Your Christmas cactus is gorgeous! Mine has one bud! :-) Thanks for the link - that thread is pretty funny ...... I haven't read it all though so I don't know yet if they ever figured it out ;-) lol

Here's the sun almost out of the clouds yesterday around noon.

Rann

Thumbnail by rannveig
Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

It was southwest of the monkey!

Nilwood, IL(Zone 5b)

The sun is out. No wind and it is 40 degrees. Makes me want to rake leaves!! BEV

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

It's a chamber of commerce day

No wind here to speak of, at least not yet.

Updated: 1:51 PM PST on January 11, 2008
Observed at: Van Nuys, California
Elevation: 797 ft / 243 m
76 F / 24 C
Partly Cloudy
Humidity: 12%
Dew Point: 19 F / -7 C
Wind: 10 mph / 17 km/h / 4.6 m/s from the North
Wind Gust: 17 mph / 28 km/h / 7.7 m/s

(Zone 5a)

LOL - Marylyn! I lost count on how many dogs were in that photo - what a hoot! lol I still see one peeking over the fence though ...... ;-) lol

Joey Im going with C. Hens and chicks are lookin good!
Adina Were glad you are back! Beautiful pictures! Cant wait to see the rest!
Rann- Great picture! That link is so funny. It took me forever to find the dog at least I think I found it! LOL!

71.2 F / 21.8 C
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 54%
Dew Point: 54 F / 12 C
Wind: 1.0 mph / 1.6 km/h / 0.4 m/s from the WSW
Wind Gust: 6.3 mph / 10.1 km/h
Pressure: 29.88 in / 1011.7 hPa (Rising)
Heat Index: 77 F / 25 C
Clouds: Few 6000 ft / 1828 m

Tonight
Mostly cloudy with a 40 percent chance of showers. Low 57. Southwest winds 5 to 10 mph.

No rain. We've been really cloudy several times today, but then the sky would clear up. Had to water the plants.

I was driving along when this large shadow went over my car...

Thumbnail by MySharona
(Zone 3b)

2 F 2pm and I don't think we're going to reach the predicted high of 5. It was zero this morning, so has come up a bit.
Tonight
Occasional light snow. Snow accumulation up to 1 inch. Lows zero to 10 below. Light winds.
music2keep~the hockey game was good, well matched teams and Palmer won~~bet Jack was happy to be playing the towel game again. Love the gorgeous green. C
rann~the sun looks great; weak or not.
Adina~very pretty there; sure love the look of snow-covered landscape.
henryr10~sure seems like a very unpleasant time of year...get well soon; you, too, pepper; and you, too, Sharon. The christmas cactus is beautiuful. Cool "shadow"....
Bev~sounds pretty good; any leaves to rake?
Even at Zero f, Holly wants to go out to the only snow-free zone~she doesn't stay long, but makes it known that she really wants outdoors..
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska
Nilwood, IL(Zone 5b)

I have plenty of leaves and so do my nieghbors. I want them to mulch and put on my garden. BEV

(Zone 3b)

Sounds good, Bev.

Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

Welcome Home Adina!

We had an inch of rain overnight. This will enhance our water table. Temps did reach the fifties today and the sun is shining during the day. Makes you feel good!
We are scheduled for that snow Sunday evening into Monday. - Well into each like some (snow) must fall. We will take it.
Kiska, your temps sound like winter is fighting to keep its grip.

Henryr and Pepper - stay safe out there. What a bad time to have tornadoes - no elec and no heat.

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

You folks with sinus trouble--I have tried Nasalcrom--it is an OTC nasal spray and it sure works for me plus it ia a LOT cheaper than the expensive RX's that didn't work any better than the cheap stuff. Just my experience with it, though--not "prescribing" it for any of you. LOL
Sharon, I did see on the news about that "pile-up" down there. :o(( Also, that link about the hidden dog in the photo--that is hilarious! I haven't found that little critter yet but I haven't made it all the way through the thread, either and since I haven't found the monkey I can't go "southwest", Marylyn. LOL
Welcome back, Adina! Great photos--that's a LOT of snow.
Joey, I'm guessing "B" for the trivia. Pretty succulent.
Kiska, that sure looks like more than 1" of snow to me. Maybe you meant that you are going to get an additional 1" of snow on top of what you alrady had?

It's been nice here today. High in the mid-50's and lots of sunshine.

Feeling better today. I hope it should be completely gone by the end of the weekend.

Currently: 38F Partly Cloudy
Currently: 3C Partly Cloudy
Wind: South at 10 MPH
Humidity: 70%
Dewpoint: 29F
Barometer: 29.79 inches and rising
Wind Chill: 31F
Wind: South at 16 KPH
Humidity: 70%
Dewpoint: -1C
Barometer: 1008 millibars and rising
Wind Chill: 0 C

(Zone 3b)

se_eds~yes, the next couple of months are usually the coldest, but there's also much more daylight, so it evens out:)
pepper, glad you doing a bit better.
marsue~~you're right, too. It's an additional snowfall added to what's already here. South of Anchorage, at Turnagain, there's 91" of snow so far. Palmer's snow gets blown away..not a lot on the frozen ground at a time.
The road in front of home.

Thumbnail by kiska
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

39 and has been most of the day.
We've been getting pounded w/ wind every night.
Yesterday there was a 100 MPH gust just north of us.
We're getting 40-50 MPH but we've had so many this winter there's little damage or outages.
(Everything that was going to fall basically already has.... lol!)
Then either cold grey mostly calm days or tons of rain.

Tomorrow we should see some Sun and 50.
Then it will start dropping all week.
Back to real Winter I hope.
Though oddly while the day temps are supposed to be 10 degrees colder than the average 39 the night temps are supposed to be the normal 21 .

The sinus problems are just headaches and ears popping from the pressure changes as the fronts keep rolling thru...
Not a big deal just aggravating.

Beautiful snow shots Adina and Kiska!
Everyone's plants look fat and happy!

(BTW my Bananas came out of dormancy at work.
They are dripping water from the end of the old leaves.
New leaves should be popping by the end of the week)
Ric

Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Good Morning Everybody! It's a whapping 33. Yep, getting cooler (back to the norm). It's been windy here as well. Ric, I don't want to hear about things falling! LOL! I have definitely had enough of that! :D But we haven't had the powerful winds you have had....the mountains break it up, for the most part.

At Dublin...
Cloudy: 34F
Feels like: 34F
Barometer: 30 in
Dewpoint: 30
Humidity: 86%
Visibility: 10 miles
Wind: 0 mph
Sunrise: 7:37 AM
Sunset: 5:26 PM

Adina! Glad you're home! What Great Pics! :D Got any more?
Kiska, glad that they won! Yipee! Holly has her own special place...but she looks as if she's looking & waiting for something to pounce on! :D Yes, Jack loves that game...he was a clean pup yesterday. :D
Thanks Marsue, that pic is actually from this summer...I need to take somemore! :D
Sharon, were you a tad bit scared when the plane went over? You were certainly quick on the draw! :D
Rann, What a Gorgeous pic! Thanks! :D

The answer to the trivia is...C
Oklahoma City has been hit with over 100 tornadoes!

Todays trivia...
It takes about how many cloud droplets to form 1 raindrop?
a) 1,000
b) 10,000
c) 100,000
d) 1,000,000

Have a Great Day!
Joey

(energizer poochie - from last year)

Thumbnail by music2keep

Kiska Holly is so pretty! Shes just letting all the moose know that its still her territory. She is allowing them to visit! Congratulations on the win!
Bev Did you get to rake yesterday?
Marsue Keep looking! Its a great read even if you dont find the dog!
Kiska 91? Thats (I had to calculate) just a tad over 8. Now thats a lot of snow! Pretty tree lined street.
Ric Thats some scary wind youve had. Stay safe!
Joey Prissy loves to play the towel game too. We have to replace the towel when it gets shredded! It is always a little surprising when a plane flies about 30 over your car. I get that keep going thought in my head when all I want to do is stop and watch them land. Take offs are a different story! I really dont like to be driving in the area for those! Jack is one handsome boy! One cloud droplet must be really tiny so Im going with D.

64.4 F / 18.0 C
Overcast
Humidity: 95%
Dew Point: 63 F / 17 C
Wind: 0.0 mph / 0 km/h
Wind Gust: 2.7 mph / 4 km/h
Pressure: 29.97 in / 1014.8 hPa (Rising)
Visibility: 1.0 miles / 1.6 kilometers
Clouds: Overcast 400 ft / 121 m

Now
Through 10 am...patchy dense fog will slowly dissipate across northeast Florida. Visibilities around one half mile will continue along the I-95 corridor from Jacksonville to Daytona Beach and along the St Johns River basin. Please use extra caution when driving this morning. Motorists should remain alert for sudden changes in visibility...especially in low spots and near marshes...rivers... creeks or lakes.

Today
Mostly cloudy. Patchy dense fog with visibility one quarter mile or less at times in the morning. Chance of showers in the morning...then chance of showers and isolated thunderstorms. High 70. Southwest winds 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 50 percent.

Taken yesterday morning.

Thumbnail by MySharona

Iwas so tickled with this young squirrel last night. He was on one side of the fence and needed to get to the other side. I was filling up the bird baths. I set the hose down grabbed the camera and let the squirrel run.

Thumbnail by MySharona

pic 2

Thumbnail by MySharona

I was laughing so hard he really took off. I didn't get any more pics! He was a cutie though!

This message was edited Jan 12, 2008 8:47 AM

Thumbnail by MySharona
(Zone 3b)

Minus 2 F; dark but a star-filled sky right now. 7am.
Mostly cloudy with flurries. Highs 5 below to 5 above. Light winds.
Tonight
Mostly cloudy with flurries. Lows 5 to 15 below. Light winds.
MySharona~I do agree with you ~ a squirrel is cute and that's a cutie~looks like another foggy morning there; hope everyone drives carefully..
music2keep~Jack sure has a happy look and can almost "see" him ready to make a move. Three gkids have hockey games today, one in Anchorage and the other 2 here in the Valley. Palmer won again last night; there's a tournament going on.
Thanks, ric~ wow~ the winds and rain sound fierce~but then I had to reread the last~ a banana plant? Not an ordinary indoor plant is it:)
Get well soon.

Thumbnail by kiska

Currently: 32F Cloudy
Currently: 0C Cloudy
Wind: Northwest at 14 MPH
Humidity: 78%
Dewpoint: 26F
Barometer: 30.01 inches and falling
Wind Chill: 22F
Wind: Northwest at 22 KPH
Humidity: 78%
Dewpoint: -3C
Barometer: 1016 millibars and falling
Wind Chill: -5 C

Almanac
Normal High: 35
Normal Low: 17
Record High: 69 in 1960
Record Low: -20 in 1912
Sunrise: 7:37 am
Sunset: 5:16 pm
Moonrise: 10:04 am
Moonset: 9:55 pm
Today's Moon: crescent, waxing

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Sharon: Squirrels are cute but they can also be destructive. We have several squirrels that run along the wooden fence on our back property line. It is fun to watch them but I don't like it when the little critters try to eat the bird seed form my bird feeder. You can see their teeth marks on the feeder where they have even bitten off part of the feeder itself. Sometimes the squirrels will even chase each other across the roofs of the houses behind me. Now that's a trick!

Pretty evergreen tree, Kiska. Those winter shots of yours, Adina's and some of the others are pretty to look at but I am glad I am not there. BRRRRR!

Joey, I haven't a clue about the trivia answer so I'll go with Sharon's answer: C
"Energizer Poochie" looks as if he does have plenty of energy!

Ric, those are some really fierce winds you have been having. Glad there hasn't been any damage to your place.

Glad you are feeling better Pepper. Hope your cold is all gone very soon.

Today: Partly cloudy this morning. A few showers developing during the afternoon. High 59F. Winds light and variable. Chance of rain 30%.
Tonight: Showers this evening becoming less numerous overnight. Low near 35F. Winds light and variable. Chance of rain 50%.

Currently 56F on my back porch. Partly cloudy and periods of sunshine then the clouds come back in. No wind.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images