Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Cut Flowers and Floral Design: Show us your Container's.

Communities > Forums > Cut Flowers and Floral Design
bookmark
Forum: Cut Flowers and Floral DesignReplies: 110, Views: 619
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

January 11, 2008
11:40 AM

Post #4386527

What containers's do you have for your flower arrangements?
Please add your collection to this thread.
Quite often I find that seeing other peoples container's will inspire me to find the same shape, to try an arrangement.

Ceramic container

Thumbnail by terriculture
Click the image for an enlarged view.

diggerette
Brooklyn, NY
(Zone 7a)

January 12, 2008
1:27 PM

Post #4390871

These are some of my containers I found around the house. Maybe one of our themes could be recycled containers.

Thumbnail by diggerette

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

January 12, 2008
7:52 PM

Post #4392112

Hi Adele, I like your vases, the test tubes are really useful to use in arrangements!
I often find containers at car boots sales and second hand shops, and recycle them!
This photo was taken at Hampton court flower show, some of the vases were beautiful.

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

January 12, 2008
7:56 PM

Post #4392125

Some interesting ceramic pots and vases from Hampton Court.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 12, 2008
7:58 PM

Post #4392128

Terri; those are very interesting potteries!
Kim
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

January 12, 2008
8:02 PM

Post #4392141

a few more!

Oh Hi Kim! got any container's?!!

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

January 12, 2008
8:26 PM

Post #4392214

a group of my steel buckets

curlers
Terlton, OK

January 12, 2008
9:52 PM

Post #4392577

Hi Terri...Thanks for the directions to the site...Here is a basket...I made out of gourds and pine needles...Some one else will have to fill it with beautiful flowers...Sandy

Thumbnail by curlers

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

January 12, 2008
10:02 PM

Post #4392622

Hi Sandy, Welcome to cut flowers.
So glad you found us here! >... this is Sandy and she makes fantasic baskets!
This one is a beautiful design Sandy, do you sketch your ideas first or does the design develop while you are making it?
Thanks for bringing it in, I'm looking forward to seeing any more you might have!

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 12, 2008
10:27 PM

Post #4392741

Wow! Sandy, I love that basket made of gourd and pine's needles. Fantastic!
Kim
diggerette
Brooklyn, NY
(Zone 7a)

January 12, 2008
10:33 PM

Post #4392773

Hi Sandy, Wow, your pine needle and gourd basket is wonderful. I admired another basket of yours on the arts and craft forum. How did you learn how to make these types of baskets?

Hi Terri, Great vases! I also have steel buckets. They're very good outdoor planters.

Hi Lily-love, Snap

curlers
Terlton, OK

January 13, 2008
4:24 AM

Post #4394356

I just started making these baskets about 4 months ago...Cant put the needles down..lol..I like the free flow style, I only scetch out the way I want to cut the gourds, the rest is mainly going with the flow...I have learned so much from one project to the next...Here is one I just finished last night...I am hoping to have them in the Gilcrease Museum in Tulsa, Okla. I have an appointment Monday with the co-ordinator...They were impressed with the pictures I sent them...No MONEY...just recognition...Maybe the money will come later...And Thanks to all...It makes my day for someone to compliment my work...Sandy

Thumbnail by curlers

diggerette
Brooklyn, NY
(Zone 7a)

January 13, 2008
11:49 AM

Post #4394952

Beautiful! I hope you're able to display them in the musuem.
karmaplace
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 8b)

January 13, 2008
12:48 PM

Post #4394989

Great thread terri! Curlers, awesome baskets. Even more awesome that you made them yourself. Adele, I love your test tube rack. . .I work in a lab and never thought to use it as a medium for arrangements. Will bring mine in a little later.
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

January 13, 2008
2:43 PM

Post #4395340

Hi Sandy,
I'm sure the museum will want your baskets! Good luck with your appointment, let us konw how it goes.
Do you grow the gourds or buy already dried? Your latest one is a lovely shape, ... would love to put some flowers in it!!

Hi Adele and Karma,
Thanks Karma, I think you may have some lovely pots and planters to show us?!! I wonder where I could buy a test tube rack? I want one!!
This is my stick container which has 4 test tubes inside.

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

January 13, 2008
3:09 PM

Post #4395433

Empty view!

karmaplace
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 8b)

January 13, 2008
8:33 PM

Post #4396745

Terri, I love those sticks container.

Here's one of mine that have never been used.

Thumbnail by karmaplace

karmaplace
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 8b)

January 13, 2008
8:34 PM

Post #4396749

Another

Thumbnail by karmaplace

diggerette
Brooklyn, NY
(Zone 7a)

January 13, 2008
9:18 PM

Post #4396935

They are gorgeous. Were they made by the same person?

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 13, 2008
9:37 PM

Post #4397025

Hi everyone, I don't have any container that qualify for show-case. I'll sit back and enjoy yours. :-)
Kim
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

January 14, 2008
10:18 PM

Post #4402066

Beautiful vases Karma, so elegant.
love the neck on the second one, unusual.

and why haven't you used them yet? !!!!!!!

Hi Kim, I bet you have some beautiful planters you have forgotten about somewhere!

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 14, 2008
10:30 PM

Post #4402119

I occassionally enjoy these containers. It seems these are an ever expanding collection. lol.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

diggerette
Brooklyn, NY
(Zone 7a)

January 14, 2008
11:07 PM

Post #4402293

Ohh!!! Bonsai!! I've been thinking about getting one. What is the one to the right called? Does it flower?

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 14, 2008
11:23 PM

Post #4402358

diggerette; the one on the right is Philippine-tea. It faithfully bloomed for me in late Dec. Jan. 2 years in a row. Thus I missed on the berries. Here is a link to my post. I've tried to hand pollinate these flowers, awaiting for result.
Kim
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/801481/

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

January 14, 2008
11:28 PM

Post #4402382

Thanks Kim, do you have a Bonsai collection? I'm getting one!, which do you recommend and are they easy to look after?

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 14, 2008
11:37 PM

Post #4402406

Thanks Terri; Those are examples of some of my earlier collection that I started a couple of years ago. Fortunately they were reasonably prized at local Wallyworld. Those used as trial, and have proven to be quite easy to keep indoor. I do however, give them the outdoor's benefit during the growing season. I bring them in when temp. drops 50 degrees F.
Those are tropical plants, other for instant Azalea are perennials in our zone, thus it's sitting outdoor with some protection (to prevent freezing/thawing of the ceremic pot).

I recently acquired a Ficus, and dracaena; both of which are also indoor bonsais, easy care type of plants while I train some other more hardy plant out in the garden for future training.
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

January 15, 2008
12:01 AM

Post #4402484

It would be lovely to have a collection of Bonsai in our cafe!
I don't really see Bonsai for sale around here, I'm going to look harder.
I can visualise a .. petites pot et fleurs!!!

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 15, 2008
12:09 AM

Post #4402523

Like this one? Currently this one is forming buds. :-)
Kim

Thumbnail by Lily_love

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

January 15, 2008
12:12 AM

Post #4402536

Beautiful! is that Azalia?

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 15, 2008
12:14 AM

Post #4402546

Yes, it's. :-)
Kim
diggerette
Brooklyn, NY
(Zone 7a)

January 15, 2008
12:38 AM

Post #4402661

Yes, That's the one I want! Is that an azalea?
diggerette
Brooklyn, NY
(Zone 7a)

January 15, 2008
12:39 AM

Post #4402672

SNAP

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 15, 2008
1:07 AM

Post #4402825

diggerette; it's an Azalea, I got that one from www.proflower.com last year.
diggerette
Brooklyn, NY
(Zone 7a)

January 15, 2008
2:05 AM

Post #4403216

Lily-love,Thanks for the link.
karmaplace
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 8b)

January 15, 2008
2:28 AM

Post #4403336

Terri, I'm waiting to stuff them with viburnum and hydrangeas from my new shrubs this spring. Your trumpet shape glass vase is very unusual too.

Adele, the vases are both made from the same person. . .China. LOL I have no idea who made it, one's from three hands corp. and don't know on the other. Found both of them at TJ Max.

Kim, your bonsai are beautiful. I'm good at killing two things. . .orchids and bonsai. Do you know where one can buy those bonsai containers? They would make beautiful ikebana arrangements.
curlers
Terlton, OK

January 15, 2008
2:43 AM

Post #4403468

Well my appointment at the Museum was "AWESOME" They accepted 6 of my pieces...they will be on the net in 2 or 3 weeks at www.museumshop@gilcrease.org.
I am so excited to have my baskets somewhere so special...
I love all the vases and the flowers...My husband is the green thumb at my house...grows everything, some things we dont even know what is ...
karmaplace
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 8b)

January 15, 2008
2:49 AM

Post #4403547

Congrats Curlers. . . that is a huge accomplishment! You must be so proud!

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 15, 2008
3:19 AM

Post #4403711

Indeed, huge accomplishement it's! Congratulation curlers. I can't stop admiring those baskets and the details that you've put into to the art work. Fantastic!

Lana, some nurseries will carry those vase. I've found a few from various nurseries. I was also fortunate. A lady whose love of bonsai her whole life. Decided to give me some great vases that I'm trying to fill her wishes. She wanted someone that really can make some beautiful bonsais out of them. Whew, I've big shoes to fill, but time will tell.
Kim
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

January 15, 2008
7:30 PM

Post #4406169

Sandy, that's GREAT news!!! well done, they obviously didn't want to let your talent slip by!
You must be so excited! lets see all of them!!
Has Paul got any beautiful blooms to bring to our cafe? Please!!
and if it looks weird and you don't know what it is, to me, that is interesting!

Hi K and K. !
diggerette
Brooklyn, NY
(Zone 7a)

January 15, 2008
11:39 PM

Post #4407040

Curlers, Hurray!! That's great!
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

January 19, 2008
2:01 AM

Post #4422874

Bud vases

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

January 19, 2008
2:03 AM

Post #4422883

Bud vases with tulips and carnations

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 19, 2008
2:07 AM

Post #4422899

Hi Terri, I collect small vases, 'til you came along to inspire me. I didn't know what to do with these little jewels. Thank you.
Kim

Thumbnail by Lily_love

karmaplace
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 8b)

January 19, 2008
2:14 AM

Post #4422921

Terri, love your set up. I think the flowers are playing peekaboo.

Lily, is that your Queen Elizabeth in that vase? Beautimus.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 19, 2008
2:22 AM

Post #4422940

Hi Lana, it's good to see you posting. Yes, that IS the queen. Those are the final blooms that she gave me while indoor. I'm so ready for Spring. It's said to snow here in the early morning. How is the temp. there in La.?
Kim
karmaplace
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 8b)

January 19, 2008
2:30 AM

Post #4422964

In the 40s tonite. 30s tomorrow night. Keep warm in AL Kim. . .and have a beautiful white Saturday morning.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 19, 2008
2:43 AM

Post #4423005

Ditto, are you planning to attend Jeri's RU in May? I hope to meet you there...
Kim
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

January 19, 2008
2:54 AM

Post #4423035

Hi Kim,
Thanks for showing us your lovely little vases, nice to see you. What beautiful roses! do they have any fragrance?
I have more little vases but they are in the greenhouse, I'm not venturing out there tonight.
Another type of container, moss bowl, plant pot stand and melon.
Thanks Karma.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 19, 2008
2:59 AM

Post #4423054

Thank you, Terri, I love that moss bowl with the daffodils. They're so cheerful and bright. Are those what you've in the garden at present?
Kim
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

January 19, 2008
3:17 AM

Post #4423121

I bought them at the supermarket, mine are not flowering yet. There isn't anything flowering I don't think, although I haven't been out there for a while. Thanks for saying!

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

January 19, 2008
3:20 AM

Post #4423130

coloured vases

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 19, 2008
3:30 AM

Post #4423163

Terri, our growing season must correlate. Outdoor garden is hibernating over this time of year. I'm longing for spring; 'cause that when these beauty will welcome the first hint of the season.
With that I'm going to say good night. Catch up later?
Kim

Thumbnail by Lily_love

pupilpropogtr
Birmingham, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 19, 2008
4:25 AM

Post #4423334

Terri, Hahahahaha on the bud vases!!
karmaplace
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 8b)

January 19, 2008
10:01 AM

Post #4423768

Jeri's having an RU in May? I think she's the one that lives in Baton Rouge? If so, I probably could make it! Just gotta figure out which weekend it is and if I'm working. What time do these roundups usually start? I won't make it until 3 if I'm working. Anyway, hope I could make it. . .would love to meet you and the rest of the midsoutherners. Terri, can you fly over? Pupil, are you going?
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

January 19, 2008
7:37 PM

Post #4425460

That is beautiful Kim! Have you seen the flower club thread? The theme for next week was chosen by Karma and it is Zen garden. I was thinking if you would like to join in, it would be lovely to see an arrangement with your bonsai!

Sorry Karma! I won't be able to make it.
Hi Traci, got any containers?!!!!!!!!
annemaree07
Ocean View, HI

January 25, 2008
5:33 PM

Post #4452663

Aloha to all -

It's a little on the chilly side this morning in Hawaii we have snow on the top of Maunakea and Maunaloa - yes we have snow in sunny Hawaii. Yesterday I went to my girfriends orchid farm with large container in hand and she created the most beautiful arrangement for me mixing green and purple potted orchids together. I took that home and put it on the stand I have and it does look rather grand.

She was telling me that she is trying to find a 4" container to put her 4" orchid in for sale in the stores. Without going into too much detail she is looking for something called Biopots? They are made in China. We have a problem with buying anything we need for our flowers as living in Hawaii has it's draw backs - everything has to be shipped in and the cost of shipping mostly outweighs the cost of the product sometimes 300 - 400%

Maybe someone out there in container land could send us to a website where we might find what we want and it may be more cost effective AND have some new choices. We would really appreciate any input -

mahalo nui loa for now -
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

January 25, 2008
9:50 PM

Post #4453643

Aloha Annemaree,
It sounds like you had a lovely day with your friend. I haven't grown, bought or arranged with orchids, your friends arrangement sounds lovely. Sorry, I'm not much help with the biopots, I don't know what they are!

Some black containers.

karmaplace
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 8b)

January 25, 2008
10:41 PM

Post #4453886

Annemaree, sorry I'm not much help either, but try this forum? http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/f/containers/all/
diggerette
Brooklyn, NY
(Zone 7a)

January 26, 2008
12:00 AM

Post #4454140

I love your black containers, Terri

Annemaree, good luck with the biopots
pupilpropogtr
Birmingham, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 26, 2008
4:12 AM

Post #4455218

Now I want to know what biopots are!!

I must have the colored vases and the black ones please. You can send them to me anytime lol.

I will try to get some of mine this weekend to post. Of course mine aren't all "vases". I guess I would call them vessels.
DrDoolotz
Oxford, NS
(Zone 5b)

January 26, 2008
4:22 AM

Post #4455256

Oh, this month's magazine, is it American Gardener or Horticulture mag...? I forget, but it has a bunch of different environmentally friendly pots that might be biopots. Some were made from rice hulls that had been processed, and eventually they will break down. Some are made from different starches. Some are for seedlings and they are made from dried, processed cow manure, and they don't smell bad. They can go right into the garden and fertilize the plants. There were some very nice pots. Maybe that is what the biopots are. I will try to remember to look at the article again and post which magazine it is.
pupilpropogtr
Birmingham, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 26, 2008
4:53 AM

Post #4455350

Thanks Cmoxon. I just googled them and you are right. They are relatively new to US. What a great idea!!
ruthsnebrgarden
Wauneta, NE

January 26, 2008
5:18 AM

Post #4455414

Just ran into DG today for the first time. How interesting! Here are a couple of my flower containers...largest one is 10" tall. I made them in a beginning ceramics class.

Thumbnail by ruthsnebrgarden

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

January 26, 2008
7:49 PM

Post #4457357

Hi Ruthsnebrgarden, Welcome!
Beautiful work! I love your flower vases, the blue glaze is gorgeous. lovely shapes and textures! Thanks for showing them to us. Great to make your own containers, they are works of art. Have you made any flower arrangements in them yet?
diggerette
Brooklyn, NY
(Zone 7a)

January 26, 2008
8:28 PM

Post #4457492

Hi ruthsnebrgarden), I like your vases very much, beautiful shapes and colors. Do you have more to show?
ruthsnebrgarden
Wauneta, NE

January 29, 2008
5:45 AM

Post #4468164

Terri and diggerette, thank you for the nice comments. I have never participated in a "thread" or anything like it before. It is a fun thing. I have enjoyed so much seeing everyone's containers and comments. I have probably gotten in on the tail end of it and I don't have very much time to participate - but it is great when I can.

Here is another one of my vases i made - with dried hydrangea and babys breath. I'm a little crazy about saving flowers that have dried.

Ruth :)

pupilpropogtr
Birmingham, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 29, 2008
7:32 AM

Post #4468292

Hi ruthsnebrgarden,
Love your vases. It is such a toss up. The colors on the first are fantastic, but the flower is beautiful in the color contrast and simplicity as well. You are very talented and I am jealous! lol. Let me tell ya, there is never a tail end to anything in cut flowers. We just post on old or new threads whenever we have some relavent (or not) to add. We are very laid back.

I am so glad you came out to play and hope you continue to do so. If you are a "little crazy" about saving flowers, I can honestly say you couldn't have come to a better thread. Jump in when you have time. I think I can pretty much speak for everyone by saying we love any new ideas, arrangements and especially people. I only get online every other week, for when I have my daughter all my time goes to her. So I am popping in and out all the time. Hope to see you again.

What is your favorite flower?

Traci
diggerette
Brooklyn, NY
(Zone 7a)

January 29, 2008
12:03 PM

Post #4468442

Nice vase. I like the shape very much. What technique do you use for drying your flowers?
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

January 29, 2008
6:56 PM

Post #4469934

Hi everyone! Aloha!

Thanks CMoxon, for telling us about the biopots

Hi Ruth,
it's fun to see what others make! Thankyou for adding your vase to our containers. It is beautiful, is that scraffito
on the vase?
Saving flowers? thats my fav occupation! recycle recycle that's what I say!!!!!! Have you made any other art with your flowers?

Hey Kim, How are you? hibernating?

Hi Sandy, please ask Paul to show us his flower paintings! I started a new thread for flower art.
How's it going with your baskets at the museum?

Traci, you have vessels?!!!!!!!!! where??
DrDoolotz
Oxford, NS
(Zone 5b)

January 30, 2008
12:22 AM

Post #4471292

Some links to some of the biopots available.

http://www.ecoforms.com/
http://www.olivebarn.com/rice-hull-pots.html
http://www.cowpots.com/
pupilpropogtr
Birmingham, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 30, 2008
4:45 AM

Post #4472314

Thanks, C!! I immediately looked them up that day, as they sounded like such a great idea. I was so surprised at how they looked like planters. Some were stunning!! I will have to wait till the prices begin to drop as, like you said, they aren't to prevelant in America. Now to check out those links above me.
ruthsnebrgarden
Wauneta, NE

January 30, 2008
6:47 AM

Post #4472461

Thanks Traci, Diggerette, Teri! My favorite flower...that is hard. Zinneas are so sturdy and beautiful colors. Iris and daylilies are fragile to handle, but such lovely and delicate colors. Roses have such wonderful shapes and fragrances and colors. Does the list just go on and on??? Poppies, the way they unfold from such a small packet to such a smashing display...I would attach a photo of one of them but I can't seem to make it come up - so I'm sending a pic of a little tin bucket I won at a banquet or something.

Mostly, my flowers dry in the arrangement because I leave them for so long, but when I really want to be sure to have a good specimen, I use silica gel (like sand) - pouring the "sand" around the flower very carefully and leaving for 4 or 5 days, depending on the size and density of the flower. I don't know much about the fine points of drying flowers. When I see prize-winning arrangements of dried flowers, I know for sure I don't know anything.

C, the bipots sound like a great idea. I live in cow-country (also wheat and corn), in SW Nebraska; my neighbor has cattle. I'm always thinking I should go harvest the dried stuff, but I find it hard to actually go do it...what will people think when they see me out there with gloves and a plastic bag picking up cow pies in the middle of a pasture!!!??? lol It's definitely a rural setting, but still...

Terri, the design isn't exactly sgraffito. I carved the design before firing and then after the bisque fire, very carefully applied the black and white glazes. The clay was a red clay.

Ruth

ruthsnebrgarden
Wauneta, NE

January 30, 2008
8:24 AM

Post #4472500

woops, I meant to post this for the cafe...my brain is getting really tired...

here I am, staying up all night reading all these interesting and funny things and looking at all the pretty flowers...well, I am old and REtired and I can do it cause I can sleep half the day, even though I would like to be a morning person too.

night, night

diggerette
Brooklyn, NY
(Zone 7a)

January 30, 2008
11:36 AM

Post #4472598

Hi Ruth, Both bouquets are beautiful. Thanks for sharing. Did you create the one in the blue kettle?
Someone told me I could also use Borax instead of silica gel . Did you ever hear of that? I'll have to try both and see. I wonder what the fine points of drying flowers are?
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

January 30, 2008
6:59 PM

Post #4474282

Hi Ruth,
Thanks for posting your arrangements, they are lovely and bold, Is that sedum in the second one?
The cafe is open 24hrs, there's usually someone around to have a cuppa with!
Oh and I like both containers. Imagine the fun you could have making your own biopots, don't forget to wear a mask though!
pupilpropogtr
Birmingham, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 30, 2008
7:54 PM

Post #4474490

Ruth, I LOVE the first one. I can't wait to get glads growing. The second one is equally as good, but I am a sucker for the really tall spikes, so the first really grabbed me.

Thanks for the list on flowers and some characteristics about them. That helps me a lot.

OK, the who tells me to Chillax but wants containers. I found an older pic, and many items have been added, but that will have to come later.

These are my NOT vases. Things I found around the house that I thought would look good with flowers.

Thumbnail by pupilpropogtr

diggerette
Brooklyn, NY
(Zone 7a)

January 30, 2008
9:46 PM

Post #4474978

Ruth, I just an ad for cow pots in Gardener's Supply Company. http://www.gardeners.com/Cowpots+transplant+pots/37-034RS,default,pd.html

Pupil, I'm looking forward to seeing you use them. They are all wonderful. My favorite is the beaded basket.
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

January 30, 2008
10:27 PM

Post #4475140

Traci, interesting, you have a little green teapot, why hasn't that been used for the cafe?!!! Lol.
Thankyou for adding your NOT vases, they look great to me. I want to use them!
pupilpropogtr
Birmingham, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 30, 2008
11:10 PM

Post #4475297

Thanks, dig. I love the beaded wall thingy myself. It has a place for a midsized candle in in. I can fit a rather large glass inside.

Umm...I have done a teapot. The my little ponies one. I haven't had any flowers that go with that color yet. It is very hard to figure out. I'll work on it. lol.
ruthsnebrgarden
Wauneta, NE

January 31, 2008
5:09 AM

Post #4476998

Here I am again , although I say I don't really have time to do this...it is so interesting! Thanks for all the nice comments!

Dig, Actually, I did both arrangements - the blue pitcher and the tin bucket (I don't remember what the bucket had in it when I won it). I have never heard of using Borax, but I must try it as it probably isn't as expensive as silica gel, and I only have enough of that to do about one flower at a time, like in a 16 oz cottage cheese carton. I have a book about making dried arrangements, but it isn't real specific. I get the Gardener's Supply catalogue, but their prices are a little high for me, especially when you have to figure in shipping. I'm on a really tight budget this year - should have been on one for a number of years now but wasn't, now it is crunchtime.

Terri, yes, that is sedum. Dear sedum. I have one variety that really gets buggy. I think it is Frosty Morn, or maybe Neon, both of which are really pretty, but hate those little insects! Sedum really fills in a bouquet - I probably use too much, but like it too much. Autumn Joy may be hohum, but I like it anyway. ///// I wonder how they "deoderize" the manure; of course, it does lose its potency after a year or two. I suppose maybe they make a mixture of manure and peat moss. Maybe, just for fun, I will try that this spring - an incentive to crawl through the fence into the pasture across the road - wave at the farmers passing by. Yeah, I might have to wear a mask if I actually go through with that project.

Pupil, I really think your beady container would look great with white flowers, green greenery (hard to find. lol) and a few little Strawberry Fields globe amaranth (little red balls). It is a good one! But I really like your copper vessel, too. That would be fun to use. It is elegant./////The mirror in your pic reminded me of my mirror at the "landing" going upstairs at my house. That is the pic I am posting. I bought several poinsettias for Christmas for the Sr. Center downtown and after Christmas, they wanted me to take them home, so I put them on my steps. The large crock is my container for the day. It holds peacock feathers that my dog harvested from a stray peacock who had taken up temporary residence at the neighbor's - all I found was the feathers - no bird in sight - neighbors denied ownership of peacock. :)

I apologize for the length of this note. :(

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

January 31, 2008
10:58 PM

Post #4479863

Hi Ruth,
Sorry I missed your post earlier!
I'm definately going to grow some sedum this year! I used to have some, it disapeared! It is really good to use as a filler. I agree about Pupils copper vase, it is elegant. I can imagine an Italian mass arrangement with fruit and flowers.
Your arrangement is very striking. Nice idea to group your plants going down the stairs! I love lucky peacock feathers.
It's lovely to hear from you, please don't think your posts are long. Sometimes Pupil writes a short story!!!!!! (lol)

Traci (pupil) I forgot about the my little pony teapot, sorry! and how could I forget? hanging my head in shame.
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

February 1, 2008
12:17 AM

Post #4480184

My double sided vase.

Black side

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

February 1, 2008
12:23 AM

Post #4480202

Brown side

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

February 1, 2008
12:35 AM

Post #4480244

and if you can't decide which, have it in the middle!

ruthsnebrgarden
Wauneta, NE

February 1, 2008
6:50 AM

Post #4481456

Terri, I really like your vase. The tulips look so pretty in it - gracefully bending over, and the vase really shows them off so nicely, well proportioned in relation to the flowers and both sides good color for them, but I think I like the brown side best. I think the black would be best if the background were dark (my own preference, of course). I was just looking back to the beginning of this thread to Jan. 12 where you showed pottery from Hampton Court - I could dream of going to a place like that!

Dig, I was also looking at your containers at the beginning - you must be a chemist with all those beakers, or whatever you call them, and the test tubes make a great flower arrangement - I like the colored water, too.
pupilpropogtr
Birmingham, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 1, 2008
2:32 PM

Post #4481915

Cool vase. How do you get your tulips to hang so perfectly? You have shown several different arrangements with great shape. I must figure this out!!
diggerette
Brooklyn, NY
(Zone 7a)

February 1, 2008
9:20 PM

Post #4483336

Yeah Terri, how do you drape the tulips like that? The tulips look beautiful.

Thanks Ruth, I'm an elemtary science school teacher and we are not allowed to use glass in the classroom anymore. So I took all the glass test tubes, flasks and beakers home. What else can I use them for?
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

February 1, 2008
11:20 PM

Post #4483774

Hi everyone!
Thankyou for the nice comments on my vase and arrangement.

Ruth, I went to Hampton Court last year for the first time, it was great and I'm planning on going again this year.
Those containers were wonderful, but the prices were sky high. I spent all my cash on plants for the garden instead!

Traci & Adele, go with the flow! if that's how they want to be let them! I didn't do anything mysterious, the tulips were naturally going that way. I have some upside down bamboo in the vase which is holding the tulips in place in
the water.
I found these little glass jars, and trapped some flowers in them!!
daffodil, tulip, polyanthus
chrysanth,yellow carnation, pink carnation.

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

February 5, 2008
5:47 PM

Post #4498605

Hello Aloha!

Hope you are all keeping well? There are lots of bugs going around the world at the moment.

Here's some pottery!

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

February 16, 2008
6:58 PM

Post #4546763

I heard Traci got some new vases!
pupilpropogtr
Birmingham, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 17, 2008
3:19 PM

Post #4549978

Yes she did!! They were all on sale, so I couldn't resist. The cheapest was 79 cents and the most expensive was $2.00. Can't beat that. All of them are very small. The tallest is 9", but I figured I could make different groupings, which I love to see.

One group.

pupilpropogtr
Birmingham, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 17, 2008
3:19 PM

Post #4549979

second group

pupilpropogtr
Birmingham, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 17, 2008
3:20 PM

Post #4549983

mismatched group

pupilpropogtr
Birmingham, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 17, 2008
3:22 PM

Post #4549993

For Terri, I forked out two dollars for this very country teapot. She had better appreciate it, as it was two dollars and I am NOT country. LOL

pupilpropogtr
Birmingham, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 17, 2008
3:23 PM

Post #4549998

All together now...

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

February 17, 2008
5:15 PM

Post #4550504

Hi Traci,
Wow! you got a great collection, lucky you, Love all of them!!
Thankyou for getting the country jug, it's perfect for the cafe, can't wait to see what you make with it.
diggerette
Brooklyn, NY
(Zone 7a)

February 18, 2008
12:17 AM

Post #4552045

Great teapot! Nice vases. Have fun.
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

March 13, 2008
8:43 PM

Post #4659620

4 glass balls joined together.

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

March 13, 2008
10:24 PM

Post #4659951

filled with waterballs...

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

January 2, 2009
6:46 PM

Post #5957000

LOL! Now I'm not sure which thread to be on, here or the vase one!

I'm still hunting for my McCoys terriculture!

But thought you would get a kick out of these. Just pop the corks and fill them with pretties!

Now I know what worries are and sure do get enough of stormy weather, but "horse egge"??!
LOL!

I found those at a craft fair back in the 70's. Love the haiku look.

Thumbnail by BLOSSOMBUDDY

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

January 2, 2009
6:51 PM

Post #5957018

Oh, jeez, silly software...lets try that again...

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

January 2, 2009
7:18 PM

Post #5957101

LoL bb, it can get confusing with all the different threads!
Some people have dial up and it takes too long to load up the threads when they get too long.
Usually we move on to a new thread after about 100-150 replies, especially if there are lots of pictures.

Having said that, it's nice to see your pots! and good to meet another container collector!
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

January 2, 2009
7:47 PM

Post #5957206

I love yours and everyones containers terriculture!

Everyone here has such great items. Those pine needle gourds are awesome! It is so neat to see what everyone does!

I'm still looking for the ladies to join me on the bouquet and nosegay thread! You know its not too early to be planning for those June weddings!

Come on over girls! Show your stuff! I hope to see garlands and table peices and the church or hall decor before all is said and done on that thread! Don't forget prom ideas too!

Now where did my McCoys go?...still looking Terri!

...hmmm, nope, this ones a Haegar...

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

January 4, 2009
12:50 AM

Post #5962627

I like the shape of that one, Thanks!
pastime
Waterman, IL
(Zone 5a)

January 5, 2009
2:42 PM

Post #5968605

I use this 12"H vase in the spring when the orange Poppies are in bloom. Otherwise it sits on the shelf out of sight. It's an unmarked piece, but old. I like the square shape and should use it more.

Thumbnail by pastime

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

January 5, 2009
6:09 PM

Post #5969441

Hello Pastime , Welcome! Thanks for sharing your cool vase, I love the square shape!
Looking forward to seeing your orange poppies in it when the time comes! You should use it more, shame to hide a lovely vase like that!
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

February 10, 2009
2:42 AM

Post #6117808

Aaahhh ! and whent he mulling spice tea is done...

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

February 12, 2009
9:15 PM

Post #6129768

LOL!! Cleaning house today, found this thing!! A pallette "vase" container!

Terri, I think this ones one you would love!

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

February 12, 2009
10:43 PM

Post #6130209

I love that kettle! That looks like a very interesting container, what will you make with it?
I want it btw LOL!! Thanks for finding more treasures!
karmaplace
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 8b)

February 15, 2009
1:51 PM

Post #6141389

Blossom, love the kettle too. Where did you get that pallette vase container? I've been wanting one of those sooooo bad! What is the little thingy at the bottom? I would imagine a frog, but it doesn't look like one.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

February 15, 2009
4:07 PM

Post #6141913

LOL!! Karma, that lil thingee in the bottom is to mount the oasis or perhaps the frog onThey thought of everything on that one! Although I would still be tempted to take some floral tape totally around the oasis and the inner corners and under the container to be safe. I have personally never used this container...Its been sitting in my stored stash for years! I would almost be glad to give it up so tempt me in a trade!! I think I may have made a mistake in calling it a pallette container.. it looks more like a graduation cap or mortar board!! LOL! It is plastic. Drop me a temptation in a d-mail if you are serious!

Terri, hmmm, sorry, you may have to wait on the kettle when my older cold fingers have lost their grip! Its the only kettle I have and one of my fav shelf sitters too! Wish I could find more. I love the delft on the copper! It is some what of a rare.. dont see many at all! I do not think I would tempt too easy to give it up.. but one never knows!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Cut Flowers and Floral Design Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Cut Flowers and Floral Design Forum dave 40 Apr 24, 2008 2:40 PM
Starting us off Wvdaisy 36 Apr 24, 2007 9:24 PM
My Tropical displays. celt33040 8 Apr 23, 2007 12:26 PM
Articles and tips about processing cut flowers.... gemini_sage 23 Aug 7, 2012 4:11 AM
Vases Lenjo 83 Jul 31, 2008 2:11 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America