Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Bromeliads: trying to find an ID

Communities > Forums > Bromeliads
bookmark
Forum: BromeliadsReplies: 3, Views: 42
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

January 11, 2008
12:24 PM

Post #4386593

I've noticed no one really jumps out to help with the difficult ones, but if anyone has any Ideas, even just species, that would be a start. It stands about 60cm currently and has sharp spines up the leaf margins. It is in medium light and is colouring up after 18 months in the ground. Any ideas will be greatly appreciated

Thumbnail by weed_woman
Click the image for an enlarged view.

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 11, 2008
10:31 PM

Post #4388926

The coloring reminds me of aechmea blanchetiana. Have you ever tried giving it more light? The color should deepen even more. In 18 months have you seen it bloom? One resource I like to use is http://www.fcbs.org Their photo index has pictures sorted by genus and includes many species and hybrids.

Melanie
weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

January 12, 2008
11:09 AM

Post #4390764

Thanks Melanie, I have an Aechmea blanchettiana and it's an entirely different green (lime)
This one has not flowered since I've had it so it must be one of the slower ones. It came witha load that was being tossed out (you can just see them behind) which i also would like an ID on (tried once before) I will try your link how ever and see if I can find something similar to it. Thanks for your suggestions. and so quick too.
Sue

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 13, 2008
4:59 PM

Post #4395881

You're welcome! Be careful looking through that site - I always find more that I want! I hope your plant blooms soon so we can see what it looks like.

Melanie

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Bromeliads Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
bromeliads ..how to propogate????? pixiedust 11 Jan 10, 2009 5:14 AM
Aechmea Blue Tango giancarlo 16 Feb 4, 2008 7:24 AM
My cryptanthus collection Chris_Lorry 30 Mar 2, 2009 12:43 PM
Growing a pineapple from the store. mikekilhoffer 20 Feb 18, 2009 7:49 PM
Looking to trade for colorful Bromeliads and similar plants. bwilliams 10 Jan 14, 2008 9:03 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America