Photo by Melody

Brugmansias: First time harvesting brugmansia's seeds.

Communities > Forums > Brugmansias
bookmark
Forum: BrugmansiasReplies: 266, Views: 2,182
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 12, 2008
5:16 PM

Post #4391592

I'm so excited, nothing less than having a rabit-test result and confirmation that ...one is expecting. (Nah I may have just exaxorated it a bit), lol.
These are seeds that result from a hand pollination back in Sept. I need input as to what to expect? The seeds look good, but they all float on the surface of the water...is that a sign of problem? Please advise.
Kim

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 12, 2008
5:18 PM

Post #4391603

I've so many seeds just from one seedpod. Then I've other that are nearly ripe...Wooohoooo.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 12, 2008
5:22 PM

Post #4391617

These are others...seedpods, some of which are open pollinated. Ooooh I'm so graceful to the birds and the bees in the garden, and the moths too... Oh, can't forget a big thanks to Brugies. From her instruction/guide that was how I learnt to hand pollinate my brugs.
Kim

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 12, 2008
5:41 PM

Post #4391697

At a closer look, I've 3 more seedpods that are also ready to be harvested!
Kim

Thumbnail by Lily_love

kimarj
(Kim) Philadelphi, PA
(Zone 6a)

January 12, 2008
6:02 PM

Post #4391782

Congrats!! How exciting so many pods...what are your crosses?
I have one pod lol that I have been waiting to show signs of ripeness.
Thank you for posting your pics. Wow thats a lot of seeds...did you plant any?
:*) Kim
bettydee
La Grange, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 12, 2008
6:51 PM

Post #4391909

Kim, the seeds are coated with a cork material which is why they float. Remove the cork if you want "sinkers". I wait until the cork and seed coat are dry because I have killed a few seeds trying to remove the cork from a wet seed.

The cork doesn't have to be removed to be planted. If the humidity is high enough, it won't cause a problem. I remove it from my seeds because I don't cover the starting tray. That leads to a number of seedlings that emerge with the cork still intact. I'm going to start putting my trays in baggies, but I still plan to remove the cork. That way I know exactly how many seeds I planted. Sometimes the cork capsule is empty. I've had seed pods that contain mostly empty capsules.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 12, 2008
7:17 PM

Post #4392003

Thank kimarj, I'm so excited. Bettydee, have you got a picture of what the actual seed looks like? The encapsulated seed looks like a beige raisin (with all fissures, and crinkles). I may open one or two to see what the structure looks like internally. Thank you.
Kim

Kimarj; to answer your question; the seeds are Salveleon brug crossed with unknown peach, and unknown pink. Back in the late summer, I've those big blooms of Salveleon (sp?), and no other pollens, so I ran out to local nursery and obtained other unknown brugs for pollens. Thus the offsprings are going to be half unknown. lol.
bettydee
La Grange, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 12, 2008
8:35 PM

Post #4392245

Kim, the seeds without any cork are the smooth ones. The other seeds still have a bit of cork attached. The seed size can vary and so can the shape but, in general, this is what they look like:

Thumbnail by bettydee

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 12, 2008
9:14 PM

Post #4392380

bettydee; thank you, so much. I've peeled off one of the seed to see and yes, it looks just like that. I've sown the one that I've peeled the cord off. It's still early to sow the seeds. So I'll try to dried them out and store them.
Brugie
Chariton, IA
(Zone 5b)

January 12, 2008
9:18 PM

Post #4392403

I've found that if you want your seedlings to bloom this year, now is the time to plant the seeds, even earlier. I started mine back in early November but your fall lasts later than mine. Your pods look good. I see lots of brug babies in your future. LOL!

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 12, 2008
9:24 PM

Post #4392440

Brugie: thank you, thank you again. If if wasn't for you way back earlier summer. Who shared the info. I wouldn't have gotten this far with my seeds. I can't thank you enough.
Kim

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

January 12, 2008
10:28 PM

Post #4392748

Hey how about a glass of bubbly to celebrate Kim!
Have fun
chrissy

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 12, 2008
10:31 PM

Post #4392766

I love the idea. Cheers, and happy gardening to all my DG's friends near and far! Let's celebrate!

I potted up the very first seed. I'll keep everyone posted of the result. :-) (Chrissy; I've the seed in a well drainage medium, close to light source, and temp. 68F.+).
Kim

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

January 12, 2008
10:38 PM

Post #4392801

Whoo hooo! :)
wrenwood
Deridder, LA

January 12, 2008
10:38 PM

Post #4392803

Lily---My Prof. tells me ALL brugs are bloom down and all daturas blooms up. Is this ABSOLUTELY true?---Dean

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 12, 2008
10:53 PM

Post #4392864

Hi Dean, happy new year my friend. Bascially that's the idea. Although, some double datura's blooms will droop when the trumpet become large and heavy. Then there are some variety of brugs when the buds are newly formed; they stick straght up, then gradually droop back down when the bud gets larger. :-)
wrenwood
Deridder, LA

January 14, 2008
12:09 AM

Post #4397646

Hey Sweet---Uhhh, I think I'm clear. Happy New Year to you and yours.
AuntB
NE, KS
(Zone 5b)

January 17, 2008
10:36 PM

Post #4416781

Hi to everyone! I have a pod on my peach versi, how will I know it is ripe? It's kind of long and still green...I noticed it about a month ago, I've got all the brugs under some lights in the basement.. they're doing okay, I'm fighting my 2nd round of mealy worm and SO looking forward to springtime. Great info on this thread, too! Thanks everybody. - Haven't been able to play in DG much since Christmas, didn't want to start a new project today, so close to the end of my work day, so I'm checking in... I've missed everyone. Cheers, Lilylove on your pod success. -AuntB
kimarj
(Kim) Philadelphi, PA
(Zone 6a)

January 17, 2008
10:45 PM

Post #4416815

Hey AuntB!! Missed you too :) I just opened my pod this morning it looked wrinkly and a little dark
so I figured it was time...got 29 seeds, planted10...it was a short pod . It is a noid but I am happy. :*) Kim

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 17, 2008
10:51 PM

Post #4416846

Thank you, B for visiting my post. The seedpod when ripes, the stem will turn a dull straw color, and some part of the pod also turn straws color.

Right below my seeds pic. above. (the one that I had inside the calendar), those are imatured pods. Right beneath the pic. are 3 of the pods that were ripe which I already cut them off from the tree. You can see the difference there.
bettydee
La Grange, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 17, 2008
11:10 PM

Post #4416942

... and when you open the seed pod the cork that surrounds the seeds is a dark brown.
pensacolagarden
Pensacola, FL
(Zone 8b)

January 17, 2008
11:38 PM

Post #4417063

Hey Kim I planted the seeds that you sent me today...lol

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 17, 2008
11:52 PM

Post #4417120

Hey James, this would be a good place to post our result. Care to do that? So we can share our experience with others? I don't mind at all. The more we share our experience, the more we learn from one another?

Bettydee, thank you for guiding us along the way. If I'm not mistaken, you've guided me with my first experience on raising my very first Gulf Frits. :)

Kim

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

January 18, 2008
12:01 AM

Post #4417176

Hi Kim and everyone these seedlings are almost a month old ...I planted them on the 21st of Dec Summertime here in australia.Our temps are pretty cool for Summer and no sun to speak of ...lots of rain . I will feed them now they are bigger ...cluck ...cluck :)

Thumbnail by chrissy100

pensacolagarden
Pensacola, FL
(Zone 8b)

January 18, 2008
12:09 AM

Post #4417231

sure I love to post my adventures...lol

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 18, 2008
12:11 AM

Post #4417241

Chrissy! Thank you, you're my best gardening buddy on DG all the way from down under! Those look so healthy. I know, the climate difference and all. I can't wait until our weather warms up finally. Thanks for sharing your pics. and experience with us. I've seeds popping up every where more than I know what to do with them. lol.

Here are some more; the ones in the small plastic container are those that air -dried after the pod broke open. The other are freshly taken out of the pod.
Kim

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 18, 2008
12:13 AM

Post #4417251

Sorry folks, I got so excited, I forgot the picture. lol.

That's great James. Thank you, thank you.

Kim

Thumbnail by Lily_love

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

January 18, 2008
12:24 AM

Post #4417311

About the seeds does anyone have any idea how long they stay viable? and what is the best way to keep them? when my pods are ripe I want to both grow some which will be fresh of course and also share with my Australian friends. Any advice would be gratefully accepted thanks and to Kim whooo hooo!

Thumbnail by chrissy100

kimarj
(Kim) Philadelphi, PA
(Zone 6a)

January 18, 2008
12:24 AM

Post #4417312

Hey Kim, how long should they air-dry?

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 18, 2008
3:40 AM

Post #4418450

Kimarj;
I'm learning here as I go. I'll have to wait for the more experienced to come along here. So stay tuned.
Kim
kimarj
(Kim) Philadelphi, PA
(Zone 6a)

January 18, 2008
3:44 AM

Post #4418477

I sure will ! this is a great thread :)
Thanks
ZZsBabiez
Lodi, CA
(Zone 9b)

January 18, 2008
3:55 AM

Post #4418537

I have planted seeds that were over a year old. I do not keep my seeds in the fridge or anything, just an air tight envelope. Germination rates drop after a year, but out of 12 seeds I got 5 seedlings!
That's about the extent of my knowledge on seed storage. :)

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

January 18, 2008
6:42 AM

Post #4419127

Thanks zz :) chrissy
bettydee
La Grange, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 18, 2008
7:56 AM

Post #4419213

I remember getting an answer from Calalily regarding viability. Stored properly — cool dry place — they can remain viable for a number of years, but she said the same thing Joyce said, the number of viable seed goes down.

About how long to dry seed, I can't remember who told me but I believe it was about a week. I tested a seed or two with my fingernail. Not very scientific, but if my nail couldn't break through the seed coat, I figured it was dry enough. Just to be sure I checked back for a while for indication of moisture. Didn't find any.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 18, 2008
2:22 PM

Post #4419736

Good morning everyone, thank you for the many helpful input regarding seed-care on brugs. I'm trying to obsorb as much info. as I can and make notes.

Kim did you mention your seedpod has only 40 or less seeds inside? Each of my seedpod so far has more than 100 seeds.

Kim2
pensacolagarden
Pensacola, FL
(Zone 8b)

January 18, 2008
3:23 PM

Post #4419996

wow no wonder you said if i had problems with them you could send me more...lol

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 18, 2008
3:29 PM

Post #4420034

LOL, James, I meant it. If you should have any problem at all. I'm going to give away all the seeds eventually. But, right now I'll codle them a little while longer. lol

Kim

editted for typo correction.

This message was edited Jan 18, 2008 3:03 PM
pensacolagarden
Pensacola, FL
(Zone 8b)

January 18, 2008
3:38 PM

Post #4420093

Hey Kim I will take any that you want to send me I will try them out for you see what happens maybe you might get something new and interesting... That is what I am hopeing for...

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 18, 2008
3:43 PM

Post #4420133

Since you're taking care your plants so lovingly (like I do mine), I may just let you sample a few of each seedpod that I collect. Only if you promise to keep in touch and post pics. of the offsprings. I knew of a local avid gardener, he loves his garden so much, and his saying was. "I don't just share my plants with anybody, unless they do love them as much as I do".
pensacolagarden
Pensacola, FL
(Zone 8b)

January 18, 2008
3:46 PM

Post #4420143

Oh sure i will I love to post picutres of my plants especially when they are from someones pride and joy garden I truly believe you love them as much as I do..

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 18, 2008
9:07 PM

Post #4421651

This is an example of the ripened pod which is ready to be harvested.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

January 18, 2008
10:04 PM

Post #4421865

That is a great pic Kim ...so it has to look like something going a bit off ...I am concerned because of all the rain ...will they take longer because of that (like our grapes are still green a month after the usual time) or even worse will they start to rot? anyone who has gone through this (a Summer with low temps in the 60's) ...no Sun ,grey skies and rain almost every day, what happened to your seed pods? I think Texas went through that last summer anyone from Texas that can pass on your experience please?
chrissy
bettydee
La Grange, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 18, 2008
11:09 PM

Post #4422098

Chrissy, we had a lot of rain this summer, but unlike your cool weather, our rainy weather was a warm one. I would be more concerned about root rot. I have removed seed pods sooner than Kim's photo shows. When the stem leading to the pod yellows/dries, the seeds are ready and the pods may be cut off. If you are really that worried, perhaps covering the seed pods in plastic. Seal the top well to keep water from oozing down the pod, but I wouldn't seal the bottom. Air flow helps prevent many fungal infections.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

January 18, 2008
11:21 PM

Post #4422155

Thanks bettydee I am just fussing I guess ...we have lots of wind so I think it will be ok the pods are now lovely and fat and knubbly ...looking lovely everything is going well ...the stems are still green so I guess I will just hang in there and hope they stay healthy, my Angels grow in built up beds of almost pure river sand and cow manure so I am pretty sure that root rot is not a problem. Please excuse first time jitters :)
chrissy
pensacolagarden
Pensacola, FL
(Zone 8b)

January 19, 2008
12:33 AM

Post #4422432

wow that is so cool Kim...

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 19, 2008
12:40 AM

Post #4422460

These are various sizes of pods as you can see here. The biggest pod belongs to the Sauveolens White, the two smaller ones belong to a Peach x S. brug.

As Chrissy has noticed, the robust Sauveolens brugs also produce robust pod. The smaller peach, produces smaller, stubby looking pods.

Currently I've a Dr. D's seedpod that was recently crossed with Sauveolens, and another NOID white that was crossed with Dr. D. pods that are green still. All and all, I'll have 6 more pods to collect when become ripe.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

pensacolagarden
Pensacola, FL
(Zone 8b)

January 19, 2008
12:55 AM

Post #4422532

Well I am waiting on more seeds...lol

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 19, 2008
1:04 AM

Post #4422569

James, I'll wait until I've all the seeds out of the pods, let them dried before I stuff them into an evelope. Because if they're still damp. We may invite fungal problem.
Have you any butterfly-host plants seeds to exchange for these trade?
Kim

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

January 19, 2008
1:15 AM

Post #4422626

Great pics Kim ...thanks mate :)

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 19, 2008
1:22 AM

Post #4422673

Chrissy; not a problem, thank you so much for sharing your experience with us. Together we make great team. I've learnt so much from you. Along with your encouragement. I'm now a proud brug's Moma. lol.

This was one of the brugs in its prime this past summer. :-)

Thumbnail by Lily_love

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

January 19, 2008
1:33 AM

Post #4422747

Beautiful!
I only opened my thread because I wanted to show people like me (who knew nothing) some of the things I was dying to ask but felt a bit silly amongst obvious experts.What I found in these forums even without asking was such wonderful info and such an ardent love of these beautiful plants.I loved my dear white for over 25 years and just about moved mountains to get a bit of my apricot a few years ago.
The perfume was a bonus.To find that one could set seeds on them was a complete lightening bolt to me.Isn't it wonderful to share the love around :)
chrissy

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 19, 2008
1:41 AM

Post #4422785

It's a true joy to share the love of these beautiful plant with fellow gardeners that hold the same passion.
AuntB
NE, KS
(Zone 5b)

January 19, 2008
7:46 PM

Post #4425496

This is a most informative thread.. I've had brugs for 8 years, and I'm just now interested in the seed part... I learn new things from people who have loved them less time than me.. and who I consider experts, even if they have no title or degree. It is nice to share with brug lovers like ourselves. Now, I MUST go check out my pod and see what I find.. 100's of seeds!?! (GULP) What fun!

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 23, 2008
12:27 AM

Post #4440272

These are the pods that are about to be broken open. The curious pods, bound by a midrib that the seeds born along the middle core there you'll find seeds and more seeds. An average pod, doesn't matter large or small, has 135 - 165 seeds.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

kimarj
(Kim) Philadelphi, PA
(Zone 6a)

January 23, 2008
12:38 AM

Post #4440346

Hey Kim I wonder why I only got 29, weird...oh well at lest I got some.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 23, 2008
1:02 AM

Post #4440447

Kim, what type of brug was yours? Color? How was the pod look like? Any likes mine?

This is to reveal the inner structure of the seedpod. :-)

Kim2

Thumbnail by Lily_love

kimarj
(Kim) Philadelphi, PA
(Zone 6a)

January 23, 2008
1:09 AM

Post #4440472

It was a NOID..3 were blooming white, yellow and the pod was on the pink one. small pod like the middle one in your 1/18/08 post.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 23, 2008
1:14 AM

Post #4440496

I've no clue, these are my Sauveolens White crossed with Peach, Pink. The smaller one belongs to the Peach crossed with S. white. Yet there are other that were open pollinated. So I've many offspring that will all look different, I'm sure. So we will just have to wait and see.

The seed that I sowed on the 12th hasn't sprouted yet. :((
kimarj
(Kim) Philadelphi, PA
(Zone 6a)

January 23, 2008
1:24 AM

Post #4440553

Kim I planted some seeds 12/25/07...nada and they are on a heat mat. :(
Yes we will just have to wait.
ZZsBabiez
Lodi, CA
(Zone 9b)

January 23, 2008
1:51 AM

Post #4440695

Oh kim... I never had good results with a heating mat.. they always rot.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 23, 2008
2:33 AM

Post #4440945

ZZsBabiez; at what temp. do you have your seed tray? Please help out us newbies.

Currently I've this Dr. D. brug that was crossed with Sauveolens White seedpod. This is a cutting that was rooted last July.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 23, 2008
2:36 AM

Post #4440981

Then I've a Milk & Honey, I'll have the 2 crossed, with the M & H to be the parent of the cross as I've planned. Dr. D x M & H, that should be an interesting cross I hope.
Kim

Thumbnail by Lily_love

kimarj
(Kim) Philadelphi, PA
(Zone 6a)

January 23, 2008
2:40 AM

Post #4441013

Joyce I think you are right. I did some more just pot the pot in a bag.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 23, 2008
3:17 AM

Post #4441266

Ok guys! Ready for this one? The biggest pod that I harvested, bears 285 seeds!!!

Thumbnail by Lily_love

kimarj
(Kim) Philadelphi, PA
(Zone 6a)

January 23, 2008
3:22 AM

Post #4441297

Amazing!

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

January 23, 2008
4:41 AM

Post #4441579

Gosh I am feeling a little nervous.Just counted 62 pods =^()
crikey! ...I suppose some may be more generous in number than the others ...what an adventure!
Kim how long will it be before you will be able to take them outside?
once they germinate?
My seedlings are about 5" tall in just over a month since planting ...I was wondering how the little green leaves will go without sun? do you use the grow lights?
chrissy

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 23, 2008
12:47 PM

Post #4442041

Chrissy; here in my zone it's going to be relatively earlier than others who live north of us. I can begin to take my greenhouse's plant outdoor around March with some added protection in case if there may be some late freeze. I don't use grow light, infact I don't yet have an ideal place to germinate my seeds. :((

Kim
ZZsBabiez
Lodi, CA
(Zone 9b)

January 23, 2008
2:44 PM

Post #4442357

I just put 3 to 5 seeds at a time in a dixie cup directly in soil under a dome, very close to the lights in the house, no temp adjustments.. The warmth from the lights is all they get.
I take them out of the dome as they come up and tag them as they sprout..(#1, #2 etc.). As soon as they get true leaves, they go in a 2.5" pot till roots come out the bottom, then to a 4"pot. When they get big enough for a 1gal pot they go in the GH.
I was able to plant in the ground last year on March 16th.

Thumbnail by ZZsBabiez

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 23, 2008
3:08 PM

Post #4442450

Thank you, ZZ, I'll try a few in mentioned method. I will post the result as I see them. Your tips are greatly appreciated.
Kim
AuntB
NE, KS
(Zone 5b)

January 23, 2008
7:24 PM

Post #4443555

Whatever you guys have, (giggle) it's contagious! I'm really excited about my lone seed pod, I should snap a pic and post.. it's really long and skinny...The mother plant is void of all leaves except on one limb that is reaching out and under the fluorescent light, it looks pretty crazy.. WOW Lily_love, 285! I have started seeds someone sent me before, it's been a few years... back then I was told they don't really need light to sprout, just damp and warm... I still have a couple plants from those seeds... I'm trying the ones from Joyce in a south window/ bright indirect light, it does get warm up there... it's been a little over a week, I should check them tonight. ZZ, I like your dixie cup method, very organized.
kimarj
(Kim) Philadelphi, PA
(Zone 6a)

January 23, 2008
9:58 PM

Post #4444151

Thanks Joyce!! I need to get some lighting I use the window sill.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

January 23, 2008
10:18 PM

Post #4444228

Hi all you clucky folks :)
I agree most things germinate with warmth and wet, but what I meant was once the true leaves come out ...don't they need some sun? or grow lights.
Windows would be a good idea, but because of your climates be careful ...we cover the windows in Winter because they let the cold in ...and on a hot day things may cook. I am interested to hear all the different methods used in cooler climates, in case I have to do the Winter thing ...although we had a couple of high 80's F in the first week of Spring and our Angels flowered very early within a fortnight of our first spring day, when do yours flower everyone?
I think it is going to be a very ...a dome? is that like some mini glass protecter thing?.
Have a wnderful day/night everyone.
chrissy

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 24, 2008
4:57 PM

Post #4447497

Hi Chrissy, and everyone.

Chrissy, I'm not at all familiar with your climate. But from my own perspective here in our zone. Brugs enjoyed the cool outdoor late in the season. Thus they're the last to be moved indoor in late Oct. here.

Those that I grew outdoor (in the ground, and cut back every year), they typically only flower from July-Fall until 1st frost (then that when we cut them down).

For those that overwinter indoor (for the 1st time this year) -- they're blooming continually, sporadically, but not yielding heavy flushes like they were outdoor during the growing season. As you can see, those made seedpod and kept on blooming...

As far as seed germination and light I believe they're all essentials. The dome is being created to provide extra humidity to aid the young sprouts, but need to be air-vented every so often to prevent stagnated environment where it would promote fungal/molds growth.

For a small scale, hobby seed sprouting. I've this tree's seed that germinated last Jan. indoor, being by a kitchen sink where it benefited humidity from the faucet usage below, it did just fine. I hope that answer your question?

Thumbnail by Lily_love

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

January 24, 2008
7:44 PM

Post #4448194

Thanks Kim ...yes I have noticed that they seem to enjoy these milder conditions ...but even in drought here, they keep on keeping on ...and flush huge flushes after rain or a heavy watering.In Australia they flower as soon as we have some warmth and continue in flushes and spot flowering until late Autumn to early Winter depending on the cold.I also noticed that the pods I crossed on very hot days grew slower than the ones fertilized in these milder temps. I must have accidently deleted some of my last little note where I said that it was going to be an exciting year :) indeed a year of adventure ...thanks Kim, and hi everyone else ...
have a good one.
chrissy
picabo
Nashville, TN
(Zone 6b)

January 24, 2008
10:04 PM

Post #4448778

Have any of you tried using the Hydrogen Peroxide solution when sprouting seeds?
I have had great results using about a tablespoon of 3% (Drugstore over the counter solution) to about a quart of water. I soak the seed for about 24 hours then plant. I usually see signs of sprouts within 24 hours.

A lot has been posted here on DG about the benefits of Peroxide in the GH.
Betty
AuntB
NE, KS
(Zone 5b)

January 25, 2008
3:39 PM

Post #4452150

Betty! That is great germination time! I will try it next time. I use peroxide and cinnamon for fungus but, I'd never thought (or heard) about using a solution of it for soaking the seeds... GREAT! Thx for the tip.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 25, 2008
4:27 PM

Post #4452344

Hi everyone,
Thanks Betty for the tips, I'll def. try it. I'll need some preparation with some light racks which DH is going to help put together this weekend. I'm anxious to sow some seeds. Brugs seeds and others.

B; The cinnamon powder trick, tried it on my brug's cutting, it may kill fungus, but it dried up my cutting also. Ughrrr!
AuntB
NE, KS
(Zone 5b)

January 25, 2008
4:44 PM

Post #4452401

Are you sure it was the cinnamon that dried it up? I lost a couple cuttings, they dried up, I didn't use the cinnamon on them. I chalked it up to my poor watering habits... I think the cinnamon keeps fungus from growing, but I'm not sure it will kill existing fungii. I just put it on the planting medium, not the seed or cutting...

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 25, 2008
4:58 PM

Post #4452483

B, on one of Martha S. magazine, I read an article how to use Cinnamon on cuttings...last summer. So I tried, the difference is you used it on the planting medium. The instruction I read stated applied directly to the cuttings' end before planting them. I failed. I kept the cinnamon for my cooking purpose since.
AuntB
NE, KS
(Zone 5b)

January 28, 2008
6:40 PM

Post #4465469

Oh, okay. I'll try it that way, too. thx

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 4, 2008
5:14 PM

Post #4494513

Hi everyone, are we ready for more seeds? This is a seedpod that I collected from a Suaveolens White, which has been open-pollinated back in the end of our growing season. Source of possible pollens could be either a noid Peach or noid Pink that were blooming at the same time then.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 4, 2008

Post #4494522

I'm getting ready to open the pod and sow the fresh seeds.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

AuntB
NE, KS
(Zone 5b)

February 4, 2008
5:23 PM

Post #4494545

Kim, you little harvester! No offense, this pod isn't very pretty... lol I wish you so many new seedlings, you don't know what to do with them all! I will check my lone pod again, it should be ready soon, I hope. (no signs of green in my seed tray, yet)

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 4, 2008
5:30 PM

Post #4494573

B, some of the seeds that I harvested last, James sowed them on Jan. 17th and they're sprouting for him.
Tehehehehehe, sorry the pod didn't look 'purdy'. Wait until I clean them out and line them up to march down the alse to the seeding tray, lol.
Kim

Thumbnail by Lily_love

pensacolagarden
Pensacola, FL
(Zone 8b)

February 4, 2008
5:41 PM

Post #4494623

Hello,

Yes I did and here they are today I am so happy to see these little guys.

James

Thumbnail by pensacolagarden

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 4, 2008
5:42 PM

Post #4494626

I'll post some pictures to show what the seedpods look like when we open them up.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 4, 2008
5:45 PM

Post #4494643

James, how many of these seeds are you willing to adopt? I have a small seeding station, but then I've other types of spring flower- seedlings that need the space too...
pensacolagarden
Pensacola, FL
(Zone 8b)

February 4, 2008
5:50 PM

Post #4494665

Well as many as you care to send I have space to grow them...James

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 4, 2008
5:51 PM

Post #4494667

There is a mid-rib formation that hold all these seeds in place, if you can see them here.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 4, 2008
5:54 PM

Post #4494679

Ditto James. :-)
pensacolagarden
Pensacola, FL
(Zone 8b)

February 4, 2008
6:22 PM

Post #4494776

yeah guess you can say I am addicted...LOL

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 4, 2008
8:26 PM

Post #4495221

Fantastic Kim! ...those "homely" looking pods, yield buried treasure :)
posyblossom
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

February 4, 2008
9:12 PM

Post #4495407

Kim,

If you have extra seeds, I would love to try to grow some of your Brugs. I would 'specially love your babies and post lots of pics so you would see how well they are doing.☺I am trying to think what seeds I could trade... or I could send postage.

Lu

Robynznest

Robynznest
Pittsburg, MO
(Zone 6b)

February 4, 2008
11:23 PM

Post #4495930

Hi Kim, just planted up some of those seeds, let's keep our fingers crossed.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 4, 2008
11:51 PM

Post #4496070

Hi Robin, me too. This time I added some fresh seeds. I meant REALLY fresh. Right out of the pod, right off of the tree. lol.

Hi Lucille, you've dmail.
Kim
2pugdogs
(Linda) Winfield, KS
(Zone 6a)

February 5, 2008
3:51 AM

Post #4497043

If I planted some brug seeds now would they flower this summer?

Robynznest

Robynznest
Pittsburg, MO
(Zone 6b)

February 5, 2008
4:00 AM

Post #4497074

Good luck Kim and everyone.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 5, 2008
4:25 AM

Post #4497164

According to the Brug org ...anywhere from 4 months to 2 years depending on type and conditions.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 5, 2008
12:51 PM

Post #4497703

Oh Chrissy; please help find out. Does anyone know whether Dr. D is self-fertile? I had two blooms on Dr. D. I didn't hand pollinate the thing indoor, but now I see some tiny teensy seedpods on the tree? Could it be? could it be? Absent of pollinator to boot, how is it possible? My Lemon tree is also blooming and look to be self-pollinated INDOOR. Wind pollination (artificial wind = fan ????) I'm completely loss on this one.
Kim
kenboy
Big Sandy, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 6, 2008
1:22 AM

Post #4500256

I am betting the fresh seeds will have a high rate of germination. We have taken seed fresh from the pod and had 100%.

kenboy

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 6, 2008
4:13 AM

Post #4501070

Kim you may have had a little indoor visitor (moth or spider) as far as I know it has to cross with something but I am no expert ...
I got 2 pods today! These were on the Suaveolens ...pollinated by the no name Grande Marnier look alike ...I was surprised by the quantity compared to the seeds in the no name :) no I didn't count them ...yet lol.
Lemons are self pollinating most brugs are not ...from what alistair told me only arborea and pure Suaveolens are self pollinating as far as I know. My suaveolens is pure as far as I know but in all the many years I grew it it never had pods until I was told to play birds and bees ...bingo pods! what is in them will be another matter ...I see a difference in the seeds twixt the no name apricot and the white they are lighter in colour. What I do know is that although the no name apricot is a longer pod the seed count is less though generous while the sturdy little fat pod of the Suaveolens are off the wall in the number of seeds ...don't fret kim it is just the beginning of an adventure (or should I say obsession :) plenty of time now you know how.

Thumbnail by chrissy100

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 6, 2008
4:22 AM

Post #4501124

Bowed but not broken ...poor things after black bamboo collapsed over them in yet another storm ...critters chomping away as fast as I can pull them off (some you can't reach) ...drenched everyday etc ...tough plants and so beautiful (don't look at the holes) :)
kenboy really ? 100% strike rate? I think I am gonna need a bigger garden.:) (seriously going to share the joy with my oz mates) wish you all lived closer.
chrissy

Thumbnail by chrissy100

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 6, 2008
5:27 AM

Post #4501336

A dumb question because I think i know the answer, but just in case and for anyone new to this like some of us, does the seed take on the most "dna" so to speak from the mother plant or the pollen donor, I ask this question because the pods on theSuaveolens all look the same ...while the pods on the no name apricot look like long pods as they should, however some are very fat and sturdy looking ...all are velvety though while the white is smooth. Just wondering, my guess is that you never know until it flowers like our babies. Aunty Ethol's nose and Uncle Freds ears ...etc
chrissy

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 6, 2008
1:40 PM

Post #4501896

I just love your questions Chrissy. Ha ha ha, I don't know about plants, in this case brugs. But in humans isn't the maternal DNA is more dominant, and indeed is the one that are being carried forward down to next generation, and next...ect.

Ok, someone wanna take a stab at this subject? Please, let's 'hear' it. :-)
pensacolagarden
Pensacola, FL
(Zone 8b)

February 6, 2008
2:29 PM

Post #4502053

Oh not even...lol i am so new to brugs...lol
pensacolagarden
Pensacola, FL
(Zone 8b)

February 6, 2008
3:22 PM

Post #4502230

Well I do not know what it is about Kim's seeds but wow there are 5 up and 4 just starting to show and only planted 10 seeds who knows? Well it makes me a happy gardener...

Thumbnail by pensacolagarden

ZZsBabiez
Lodi, CA
(Zone 9b)

February 6, 2008
3:32 PM

Post #4502276

I'm not sure if I understand your question and I'm even less sure I can answer it correctly! LOL I think your asking about the pods..

You say the pods on the "no name apricot"... that's where I get the clue that the "no name" is a multi hybrid, and has unknown mixed genes... that may be why your getting a "mix" in the seedpods.

In the species Suaves... it sounds to me your plants are nearly pure Suaves and therefore the pods are more predictable..

If you know the complete history of each of the plants in the mix, it's probably a little easier to predict what the pods will look like.

Is that close?

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 6, 2008
3:35 PM

Post #4502283

Wooohooo, James, 20 days since the seeds were sown. And you've 90% germination rate!!! I'm so proud and happy for you.
pensacolagarden
Pensacola, FL
(Zone 8b)

February 6, 2008
3:46 PM

Post #4502317

Yes indeed I sure do I am trying to make it 100 % but who knows but just might happen...James

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 6, 2008
4:03 PM

Post #4502382

Ok, here is what's going on with my Dr. D brug. I'd two 1st time blooms on this cutting. I didn't hand pollinate the blooms, hoping I could allow the tree to grow, and developes further in size. (as appose to put its energy into producing seeds -- you know, like baby's having babies kind - a - thing). But after the stigma were cut off (I'm saving these pollens by the way), the remaining stems will not fall off, and a few days later I found these. Seedpod formation? Visiting spider? I hope so, but if they've successfully ovulated, I'm not going to cut these off. What do you think?

Thumbnail by Lily_love

posyblossom
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

February 6, 2008
4:44 PM

Post #4502512

Now I am no expert on DNA,but it is my understanding that in humans the Genetics are based on specifics. For example the dominant gene of the hair is from the mother. So off spring are quite apt to get the same color and texture as the Mom's hair but not always,just on the higher percentage side. Color of eyes is from the male gene, and so on and so on. I can't remember who is the dominant gene for height or any of the other traits.

My Dad had blue eyes and three out of four off spring have blue eyes. Mom has brown eyes and one son has brown eyes.My DH has brown eyes,we have one son and no other children and his eyes are brown,my eyes are blue. So it held true in our case.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 6, 2008
8:34 PM

Post #4503707

So interesting isn't it? ...so the dominant colour may come from the donor and the shape may come from mumma etc, Alistair told me that my no name apricot (Grande Marnier " look alike) is a very old and quite pure strain ...(in Australia there are almost no colours) we are trying to mix them up now thanks to the info we have received here in daves garden.) He told me that it throws almost always the same colour. So if that is true I am hoping for the Suaveolens to throw apricot blooms with the beautiful perfume of the Suaveolens, just a dream I know but we all need dreams don't we?.The white smells like lillies ...just stunning!.

Thumbnail by chrissy100

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 6, 2008
8:56 PM

Post #4503775

Chrissy; to see your Grande Marnier's beautiful blossoms among the seedpods, one has to agree with the notion that's a vigorous grower!!! Beauty packed with a power punch!
Congrats mate!
Kim

Robynznest

Robynznest
Pittsburg, MO
(Zone 6b)

February 6, 2008
9:30 PM

Post #4503889

Wow Crissy, I want one of those now. That is pure heaven isn't it.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 6, 2008
11:33 PM

Post #4504334

Heaven ...must be missing an Angel ...cause she's hereeeee with me right now! ...la la la

But seriously stay safe everyone, lots of awful things happening weatherwise over there, I feel guilty complaining about monsoon rains (1/2 hour of sun yesterday) ...when all hell has broken out in the US ...I hope you are all ok
chrissy

Robynznest

Robynznest
Pittsburg, MO
(Zone 6b)

February 6, 2008
11:37 PM

Post #4504365

Thanks Crissy, we're keeping an eye out all the time anymore.

Praying for all the victims of yesterdays and todays storms.
ZZsBabiez
Lodi, CA
(Zone 9b)

February 7, 2008
2:16 AM

Post #4505246

Lily, that is the ovary indeed, but it's my guess it's not pollinated.. if it were, it would be getting bigger and green..
The end of the stigma turns brown when it has been introduced to pollen.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 7, 2008
12:16 PM

Post #4506420

ZZ, you came along to save the day! LOL, I cut off the stigma when the corola felt off. Oh well. I didn't want to stress the tree out, so may as well.

Thank you, so very much.
Kim

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 8, 2008
12:40 AM

Post #4509392

Kim zz and anyone interested in the sand mix ...a quote from the folk at one of our top Nurserys

Just plain ‘course washed river sand’ (with NOTHING else added) is an excellent media to propagate most cuttings. Wash the sand again yourself, two or three times, to make certain that all the silt and fine particles are taken out of the sand. Root formation is, in fact, much quicker in course sand. The problem is that you then need to transfer the cutting into a good potting mix, once roots have taken, to grow on your plant. Fine textured sand will NOT give you the same results.

Hope this explains why I like washed river sand for everything
the roots of everything grows like mad in it and even after I pot on it is still my main ingredient ...it allows roots to breath and grow quickly ...after the roots are healthy then you add goodies :)
chrissy

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 12, 2008
1:11 AM

Post #4525954

Thanks Chrissy,
I'll certaintly try out the sand method. I sowed a flat of seeds and have yet any sprouting.

James, how are yours doing? Growing like weeds, I'm sure.

Robin, have you got any germination yet?

Lucille, how many of the seeds would you like to have? (If you've excess, you can share to friends and neighbors - spread the joy).

ZZ, have you got any recommendation on which double, tripple blooms should I acquire? I understood (or have heard from others), that those are fuzzy in our hot climate? What's your take on that?
Currently I've whiskers, and DD, so I'm coddling them pretty tight. lol.
Kim

Oh, I've these final pods to be collected soon - note the stems are changing their color to straw color -- they're nearly ripe. I'll send all these out for those that are interested.
Kim

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Robynznest

Robynznest
Pittsburg, MO
(Zone 6b)

February 12, 2008
1:19 AM

Post #4525993

Nothing yet kim, I look at least 10 times a day. I did get 1 germination of Vixen x Delta Dawn.

Which pods are getting ready to burst? You know I'm interested.
AuntB
NE, KS
(Zone 5b)

February 12, 2008
3:16 AM

Post #4526657

Oh, I'd love to try some, Kim.. Thank You! I can send postage.. What fun! It's being a l o n g winter.. I need more green.. er dirt under my fingernails..;)
posyblossom
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

February 12, 2008
7:25 PM

Post #4529041

Kim, I think 12 if they all germinate. It looks as though your seeds are having a high success rate,but if I get more than that I know I will grow and plant all of them, Oh what fun this is going to be, seeds of Kim's☺

PS. I will share with folks around here,if I can bring myself to part with any when the time comes☺

I need more green too AuntB☺

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 14, 2008
1:34 AM

Post #4535316

Just a quick note to all that are waiting on the seeds. Our temp. took another nose dive, so I don't want to stress the seeds out in transit. I'll wait until the temp. goes some. Especially those pods aren't fully ripe yet. Hang in there with me. And everyone stay warm.
Kim
MyRee
Brigham City, UT
(Zone 5b)

February 14, 2008
11:57 AM

Post #4536387

Kim, (Happy Valentines Day to all)

I would love some seeds. Some I got are just sprouting, I have 6 sprouts that came up 2 days ago. Watching and waiting. I have several friends that I have been showing pictures to and sharing my excitement, If I could get just a few, I could share more of the love.
I can send postage or whatever.
Thanks, Marie

BUUUUUURRRRRRR it is cold here. Snow yesterday c strong winds. Windy today.
Stay warm all.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 14, 2008
12:56 PM

Post #4536498

MyRee,
Dmail me your addy. I'll send you some for postage. For those live in Fla. and warmer climate I'll send them out in a few days. But for those up North, I'll wait until my last crop of seedpods ripen -- they're getting close, before I send them out.
Kim
MyRee
Brigham City, UT
(Zone 5b)

February 14, 2008
1:02 PM

Post #4536512

Thank You Kim, Will D-mail
I am having so much fun.
pensacolagarden
Pensacola, FL
(Zone 8b)

February 14, 2008
1:05 PM

Post #4536528

well i would love some more...lol

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 14, 2008
1:20 PM

Post #4536563

James, I've got you on my list. Looking out to my window there is frost on the ground. Since brugs are semi-tropical, I don't know if any cold exposure will effect them or not. So please wait a few days.
Happy gardening everyone.
Kim
pensacolagarden
Pensacola, FL
(Zone 8b)

February 14, 2008
1:30 PM

Post #4536587

Thanks Kim I am not ready to plant them right now anyway I am sick with the flu Darn it.

James

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 14, 2008
1:50 PM

Post #4536648

The Flu is a bad one this year!!! Hope you're getting to feel better soon. James. Happy Valentine to each and everyone. :-)
AuntB
NE, KS
(Zone 5b)

February 14, 2008
2:51 PM

Post #4536890

Sendin' out love greetings, everyone. James, rest and feel better soon! Supposed to get in the negative digits here, tonight.. 30 mph winds from the north around noon... I will turn the heater up a notch for the "kids" in the basement. I WANT GREEN! I should move!

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 14, 2008
2:57 PM

Post #4536904

Happy Valentines to you B. LOL about your remark on the "kids". No one ever suspect you're such a terrific brug's mamma (being where you're. Brrrrrrr), 'til summer arrives. lol. Keep up the TLC, looking forward to spring.
Kim

Robynznest

Robynznest
Pittsburg, MO
(Zone 6b)

February 14, 2008
5:58 PM

Post #4537743

Happy Valentines Day Kim, B, James and all the rest of you. I just checked and I have 3 little babies trying to poke their little heads through the soil. These are the ones from you Kim. I can't wait until they are bigg enough to take their picture. Right now I am just barely seeing the stem, This so cool and very exciting. Thanks Kim, I can't wait to grow more.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 14, 2008
6:47 PM

Post #4537956

Hey, that's NO fair! Didn't we pot these 'lil guys up at the same time, Robin? What am I doing wrong, yours sprouted and mine is not? lol,lol. Happy Valentine to you too.
Kim

Robynznest

Robynznest
Pittsburg, MO
(Zone 6b)

February 14, 2008
7:10 PM

Post #4538042

LOL I put mine in a very sunny window with saran wrap on it for 2 days now and when I looked there they were, yipee! This window get all the sun all day long and no heat under them, can you imagine. DH wouldn't let me take the heat mat out from under his tomatoes, so I improvised and mine came up even before his. HAHAHAHA!

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 14, 2008
7:17 PM

Post #4538064

Hummm, James also has his by a window. I think I'm going to move mine. lol,lol.

Robynznest

Robynznest
Pittsburg, MO
(Zone 6b)

February 14, 2008
7:22 PM

Post #4538082

Are we going to play follow the leader?

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 14, 2008
7:23 PM

Post #4538090

Let's, lol,lol. Thanks for the tips.

Robynznest

Robynznest
Pittsburg, MO
(Zone 6b)

February 14, 2008
7:24 PM

Post #4538118

It's so much fun, thanks for the chance with the seeds.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 14, 2008
7:27 PM

Post #4538131

It's all about gardening at DG, "For gardeners, By gardeners" I just love you guys/gals.
Kim

Robynznest

Robynznest
Pittsburg, MO
(Zone 6b)

February 14, 2008
7:28 PM

Post #4538135

Love all of you too, even James with him being sick.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 14, 2008
7:31 PM

Post #4538153

Yes, James especially. We needs to give him a lot of TLC too, so he'd get over the Flu quick, besides, it's time for him to post more pics. lol,lol.
Kim

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Robynznest

Robynznest
Pittsburg, MO
(Zone 6b)

February 14, 2008
7:35 PM

Post #4538170

That is so pretty. How many brugs do you have?

Get well James.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 14, 2008
7:36 PM

Post #4538171

The above pic. is that of Versi Apricot. Here is a tiny seedling of Natal plum. The seed casing killed one of the 3 seedlings that germinate. I've been misting these 'lil guys hoping the casing will fall off, and that added help did the trick. One of them dropped off the casing without having to peel it off, thus risking the risk of decapetating the fragile seedling.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

MyRee
Brigham City, UT
(Zone 5b)

February 14, 2008
7:36 PM

Post #4538173

James, get better. Florida, and you are sick. That is just sick and wrong.
Get better. My son that lives in Tallahassee said it dropped down to 29 degrees last night and is up to around 70 degrees now. 70 degrees, I can hardly wait.
Kim, beautiful flowers.
Robin, way to go on your seedlings.
I posted these on another thread, but had to show...

Thumbnail by MyRee

Robynznest

Robynznest
Pittsburg, MO
(Zone 6b)

February 14, 2008
7:39 PM

Post #4538181

Oh, they are all so cute, I feel like a nana to them.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 14, 2008
7:43 PM

Post #4538195

Robin, growing brugs outdoor in our climate isn't new to me. From DG last year I learnt so much more about its culture. Thus I went banana over them over the growing season. I've many, but like you, I've lost quite a bit -- growing pain!!! LOL. I've over 50 at one time, but have lost 1/3 of them. Besides a few noid brugs that are really attractive, and hardy. I love them all.

Marie, wozie!!! I can see you're keeping them on the dry side there. Ooooh, I also spotted another baby to our front row at the left hand side that is ready to come up. Congrats!!!

Kim

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 14, 2008
7:43 PM

Post #4538198

Awe they are all so cute! congrats to everyone ...spreading the Angel love around ...I love it!
get well soon p ...lots of hot chicken soup and Spring dreaming will do the trick :)

Robynznest

Robynznest
Pittsburg, MO
(Zone 6b)

February 14, 2008
7:46 PM

Post #4538210

Beginning to wonder what spring looks like here. I'm looking out my window at 2 inches of ice on the growund. and it's not thawing very quick. More of it is on it's way tonight and this weekend.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 14, 2008
7:52 PM

Post #4538228

Spring can't be too far off. I know you guys up North had a pretty bad winter. But hopefully it will be over soon. Only down South, it gets hot, then cold it's tough on gardeners and their plants with such drastic changes in the weather. This morning it was 24F. Now it's almost spring-like.

Robynznest

Robynznest
Pittsburg, MO
(Zone 6b)

February 14, 2008
7:59 PM

Post #4538252

Missouri does that once spring hits. We have had 70degree days in January only to have it fall to 7 degrees that same night and then stay that way for a week. Then the high temps again. It is just plain weird anymore and it is hard for everyone everywhere anymore.

Watch out for the stickers on that plum. That is the one that does have them isn't it?

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 14, 2008
8:10 PM

Post #4538290

Yup, lots of thorns, and they're wicked. But did you know, every single flower and fruit all come out of those sharp thorny junctures? Cool tropical plants.
Kim

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Robynznest

Robynznest
Pittsburg, MO
(Zone 6b)

February 14, 2008
8:14 PM

Post #4538306

I had no idea, are they edible. I guess I could google that.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 14, 2008
8:16 PM

Post #4538316

I was told they're edible, but I'm too chicken to try them out. lol

Robynznest

Robynznest
Pittsburg, MO
(Zone 6b)

February 14, 2008
8:19 PM

Post #4538329

I just found this.

The Carissa (Natal Plum) is a native of Southern Africa, where it is grown primarily for its edible berry-like fruits.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 14, 2008
8:48 PM

Post #4538425

That's my baby! Natal plum carissa boxwood beauty is its name. How cool, came all the way from S. Africa! Thanks Robin.
In Tx. zone 9 plus, these can be grown outdoor successfully -- that's from what I've learnt of other DGers.
Kim

Robynznest

Robynznest
Pittsburg, MO
(Zone 6b)

February 14, 2008
8:49 PM

Post #4538431

Well I think they are great looking and they look like they will taste excellant, try one and let me know.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 14, 2008
8:54 PM

Post #4538453

They have latex sap that ooz out of the fruits, leaves when injured. So I just collect seeds and experiment with them for fun.

Robynznest

Robynznest
Pittsburg, MO
(Zone 6b)

February 14, 2008
9:03 PM

Post #4538494

What great fun though. Trying to grow anything from seeds is what I like to do.
pensacolagarden
Pensacola, FL
(Zone 8b)

February 14, 2008
9:04 PM

Post #4538498

thanks so much feeling a little bit better today then yesterday that is for sure!!!

Robynznest

Robynznest
Pittsburg, MO
(Zone 6b)

February 14, 2008
9:06 PM

Post #4538506

Great James, now don't give it to us.
pensacolagarden
Pensacola, FL
(Zone 8b)

February 14, 2008
9:08 PM

Post #4538515

Heck no I wouldnt think of it!!!

Robynznest

Robynznest
Pittsburg, MO
(Zone 6b)

February 14, 2008
9:23 PM

Post #4538572

Hope you can see these.

Thumbnail by Robynznest

Robynznest

Robynznest
Pittsburg, MO
(Zone 6b)

February 14, 2008
9:24 PM

Post #4538576

Here's another.

Thumbnail by Robynznest

Robynznest

Robynznest
Pittsburg, MO
(Zone 6b)

February 14, 2008
9:26 PM

Post #4538581

The first one was peaches x white, the second was whitex pink and this one is Vixen x Delta Dawn.

Thumbnail by Robynznest

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 14, 2008
9:45 PM

Post #4538676

I can see them, I can see them! Robin, what day was it that you sowed the seeds do you remember?

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 14, 2008
9:47 PM

Post #4538680

Feb. 4th! That is according our post above. Just for the record. 10 days! Those babiez sprouted real fast! Wow!
Kim
AuntB
NE, KS
(Zone 5b)

February 14, 2008
9:50 PM

Post #4538690

Aw, Robin, they are so cute.. I loved your story about your DH and the tomato's on the heat mat. Grow little brug seeds, grow grow grow! lol Hope you get some warmer weather to melt that mess away. James, glad to hear you're feeling better and checking in at DG..

Robynznest

Robynznest
Pittsburg, MO
(Zone 6b)

February 14, 2008
9:51 PM

Post #4538696

I think yours should be popping out soon now. Maybe yours was alittle deeper than ours.

Yep Feb 4th is what I have listed and I soaked for 24 hrs in H202!

Robynznest

Robynznest
Pittsburg, MO
(Zone 6b)

February 14, 2008
9:52 PM

Post #4538708

I told my dh it was because I was special.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 14, 2008
9:52 PM

Post #4538710

B, I'm going to make an effort to mail these seeds out so they can start growing for you all. lol,lol. Time is a factor! I've gotta get busy. lol,lol. (remember, the seedpods still on the tree -- as soon as they're ripe, I'll rush them out).

Robynznest

Robynznest
Pittsburg, MO
(Zone 6b)

February 14, 2008
9:53 PM

Post #4538716

Great, thanks Kim
AuntB
NE, KS
(Zone 5b)

February 14, 2008
10:03 PM

Post #4538757

I haven't given up on the ones I got from Happ... but I guess you can sense my need to see the little heads breaking through... lol I'm pretty patient, . . . maybe you can point a fan in their direction to help in the maturing process? ha Robin, you're pretty busy, talking bananas with Brian and posting pics of your "newborn" brugs. Are you going to make the Central states Spring RU in April?

Robynznest

Robynznest
Pittsburg, MO
(Zone 6b)

February 14, 2008
10:30 PM

Post #4538840

No, I wish I could, we have one of our special events at work that weekend, so I have to be there or no one will get to eat at it.
AuntB
NE, KS
(Zone 5b)

February 15, 2008
5:00 PM

Post #4542166

Oh, darn. I had hoped we could meet in person. It's impossible to pick a date everyone can be there. I still haven't committed, but I'm sure going to try to make it, I have brugs for Happ & Anna (if I didn't give them this one already), and other brugs I've started just for the plant swap. By then, I'll have other stuff, too. I need to check on my lone Versi pod this weekend, but I think it's still green. (I'm waiting, waiting, waiting)

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 15, 2008
5:04 PM

Post #4542180

Sounds like you all making plans for up coming RU, what fun! Here at home, I've a couple (RU) to prep for. :-)

At the meantime, the pods that I've promised to everyone are getting ripe! Harvesting time again! Woohoooo.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

pensacolagarden
Pensacola, FL
(Zone 8b)

February 15, 2008

Post #4542224

WWWWWWOOOOOOOHOOOO!!! I have so many brugs started now but I would love some more...lol

James

Robynznest

Robynznest
Pittsburg, MO
(Zone 6b)

February 15, 2008
5:27 PM

Post #4542257

Those pods are looking great, it shouldn't be long now.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 15, 2008
5:37 PM

Post #4542299

Look like I've four pods, and I promised it to 1. Jame, 2. Robin, 3. Lu, 4 B, and 5. Marie. 6. Deb. So I guess I'll need to mix them all up and devide them equally for everyone. Since these are open pollinated with other two brugs blossoms (peach and pink) that I had at the time. Will that be ok for everyone?
AuntB
NE, KS
(Zone 5b)

February 15, 2008
5:42 PM

Post #4542317

Oh goody, goody! Yours are further along than my loner... James, nice to "hear" the excitement from you, you must feel much better today. I always feel like I'm on vacation when I go to a round-up... So much fun and excitement and you get to bring home the BEST souvenirs! Kim, did you put a fan on those pods?? lol

Robynznest

Robynznest
Pittsburg, MO
(Zone 6b)

February 15, 2008
5:46 PM

Post #4542330

It's ok with me Kim. I just want all kinds of brugs to smell up my place.
AuntB
NE, KS
(Zone 5b)

February 15, 2008
5:46 PM

Post #4542331

You just package em up any way you wish. I'll be thrilled just to "bury" some and watch em sprout! (You know, I don't really NEED anymore brugs, but I simply can't resist) Thanks so much Kim!!
pensacolagarden
Pensacola, FL
(Zone 8b)

February 15, 2008
5:48 PM

Post #4542340

sure will I love to try anything!!!

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 15, 2008
5:48 PM

Post #4542342

LOL, yes I'm glad to hear James is feeling better, too. B; no fan, but I tried to blow at them everytime I passed by them. lol.

Do you remember when your pod was conceived? lol, mine was roughly Oct. last year, just before I brought them indoor.
Kim
pensacolagarden
Pensacola, FL
(Zone 8b)

February 15, 2008
5:52 PM

Post #4542357

Thanks guys it feels good to be feeling better that is for sure. I am tired of broth I actually made myself a grilled cheese sandwhich not to long ago and wow it felt great to eat it.

James

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 15, 2008
6:08 PM

Post #4542422

Hurry up and get well James, just don't make any soup with the seeds I sent, I'll feel a whole lot better, myself. lol. Just a while to go, spring is almost here!!!

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Robynznest

Robynznest
Pittsburg, MO
(Zone 6b)

February 15, 2008
6:41 PM

Post #4542591

Purdy.

Glad you're better James, hate that nasty sick feeling too. So far so good this winter, only a sinus infection and a small cold, no flu. Knock on wood.
AuntB
NE, KS
(Zone 5b)

February 15, 2008
8:04 PM

Post #4542953

Oh pretty! Color! Lucky you! We're getting rain, ice, and snow this weekend! :( But, I did see numerous flocks of geese flying south on the way to work, so I'm taking it as a sign Spring will be here pretty soon. The blooming rose is a welcome sight... it's all brown and dead looking here, except for a few blooms and greenery I have in my house. My pod has been hanging around since last Fall. When I moved them inside, I didn't notice it until a lot of the leaves dropped. The pod covering part at the top is brown, so I'm waiting for the pod to start changing. Wow, they take a long time... I better start hand pollinating ASAP this spring!

Robynznest

Robynznest
Pittsburg, MO
(Zone 6b)

February 15, 2008
8:07 PM

Post #4542964

I will hand pollinate this year too. It will be fun, kind a like creating our own plants.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 15, 2008
8:25 PM

Post #4543018

You bet! Collecting pollens too would speed up the process. When my lone brug bloomed last year. I didn't have anything to cross pollinate with. So I rushed out to the nursery and bought two other blooming brugs in order to cross mine. Fellow DGers were generous too, they offered to send me pollens. Visit some classic thread on pollination with a brush, and collecting them to save in the fridge is a good project for spring. :-)
Brugie was creditted to my success. I learned from her last summer -- so I thought I pass it on. Enjoy.
"You guys make my heart sings".
Kim

Robynznest

Robynznest
Pittsburg, MO
(Zone 6b)

February 15, 2008
8:31 PM

Post #4543048

"You make everything 'groovey'" Wild Thing.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 15, 2008
8:37 PM

Post #4543079

(James, B, Lu, everybody sing along with us). Chuckles, chuckles.
Kim

Robynznest

Robynznest
Pittsburg, MO
(Zone 6b)

February 15, 2008
8:51 PM

Post #4543138

Wild thing, I think you move me
But I gotta know for sure
Come on and hold me tight
Oh you move me

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 15, 2008
8:54 PM

Post #4543164

Hey Robin, I guess we can only make a duet. No body else is joining in. lol.
Kim

Robynznest

Robynznest
Pittsburg, MO
(Zone 6b)

February 15, 2008
8:56 PM

Post #4543178

Showing my age huh? Oh well I'm proud of it.

Wild thing
You make my heart sing
You make everything
Come on, wild thing

Wild thing, I think I need you
But I gotta know for sure
Come on and squeeze me tight
Oh I need it

Wild thing
You make my heart sing
You make everything
Come on, wild thing

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 15, 2008
9:04 PM

Post #4543212

Lol what a great way to start the weekend ...lovely to hear you all singing one of my old favourites!

When I look at one of my little seeds popping up ...here is what I hear
"Hello I love you ...won't you tell me your name ?" lol (the doors)
chrissy
AuntB
NE, KS
(Zone 5b)

February 15, 2008
9:07 PM

Post #4543237

Da, da, ...da, da,...da da, ...da da I think you move me... But I gotta KNOW FOR SURE!
AuntB
NE, KS
(Zone 5b)

February 15, 2008

Post #4543241

(slow on the uptake - phone rang) But I'm singin!

Robynznest

Robynznest
Pittsburg, MO
(Zone 6b)

February 15, 2008
9:14 PM

Post #4543264

Love the Doors. even my daughter likes them.

I watch the movie 'Ghost Rider' over and over just to hear the song at the end.

Cruisin' down the hiway with their music blaring was a favorite past time for me.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 15, 2008
9:17 PM

Post #4543273

LOL, we are all now revealing our ages. lol. I love the musics and movies too. lol.
Kim
pensacolagarden
Pensacola, FL
(Zone 8b)

February 15, 2008
9:33 PM

Post #4543320

I love it to you guys sure are nuts guess that is why we all get along!!!

James
posyblossom
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

February 15, 2008
9:41 PM

Post #4543342

♫Wild Thing...I think... ♥ I Love you♫♪

Kim, I think that sounds like a fine idea for the seeds. I am so looking forward to them...Groovin♫♪ on a Sunday afternoon♪♫

LU
AuntB
NE, KS
(Zone 5b)

February 15, 2008
9:41 PM

Post #4543346

If we could all take life a little less seriously, the world would be a happier place. So, who remembers their 1st tv? rotary phone? party line? albums? 8-track tapes? Good lord, I AM OLD... (naa, I'm not, just well experienced) lol
posyblossom
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

February 15, 2008
9:46 PM

Post #4543362

Sorry you are under the weather James, but am glad to hear you were able to eat a grilled cheese. You must be on the mend☼♫Happy Days are here again♫

LU
posyblossom
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

February 15, 2008
9:54 PM

Post #4543381

Oh My Gosh AuntB, I think I was 7yrs. old when Dad brought home a Philco TV. It had these big glass tubes that would blow out and the TV repairman would come and put new ones in. I don't know why I remember that so well. All the things you listed above I remember and an automatic washer for mom.☺☺

Thanks for the walk down Memory Lane.☼

Robynznest

Robynznest
Pittsburg, MO
(Zone 6b)

February 15, 2008
9:56 PM

Post #4543389

I remember all those. The party lines, the color reflectors to put on your black and white tv to make them color. Actual roller skates with keys.

Watched 2 Roy Rogers films today. Wow I used to be in love with him.

"I got a brand new pair of roller skate, you got a brand new key"

Robynznest

Robynznest
Pittsburg, MO
(Zone 6b)

February 15, 2008
9:57 PM

Post #4543395

HiFi stereos and new am transitor radios.
AuntB
NE, KS
(Zone 5b)

February 15, 2008
10:08 PM

Post #4543432

I love that roller skate song! Mom got her automatic washer and dryer when I was about 14... washer- she loved, dryer-only when the weather was bad... still hung em on the clothesline. We got our first tv - black & white console!!! I can still remember the dial to change channels... President Kennedy had just been assassinated, so that was pretty much the only thing to watch for a few days. It's still pretty vivid in my memory, don't know if it's the devastating situation or the fact it was our 1st tv.. The constant coverage did stop and then...Captain Kangaroo, our gang & huckleberry hound! And Roy Rogers and Sky King! Ok, I'm over 50.

Robynznest

Robynznest
Pittsburg, MO
(Zone 6b)

February 15, 2008
10:11 PM

Post #4543450

So am I, be 54 this year and wish we still did things the same way we did when I was a kid.

Here's a flash back for you.

M I C (see you real soon) K E Y (Why, because we love you) M O U S E
AuntB
NE, KS
(Zone 5b)

February 15, 2008
10:17 PM

Post #4543472

Oh, yes, I forgot about the club! And the Wonderful World of Disney on Sunday night, then Bonanza! (My folks watched Lawrence Welk, I'd sing and dance around like I was one of the Lennon Sisters)I'll be 53 in August... 50 IS the new 30. so guess we're 33 and 34. lol

Robynznest

Robynznest
Pittsburg, MO
(Zone 6b)

February 15, 2008
10:49 PM

Post #4543583

33 or 34, hmmm that would make me the same age as my son.

OMG, I just remembered I have to go to the store and get him a birthday present. It's this Sunday. What a dunce.

Bonanza! Disney! the best shows on tv.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 15, 2008
11:25 PM

Post #4543712

LOL, B. It's a good thing I didn't call you auntie. LOL, I like that "50'ish IS the new 30'ish" We're all young at heart. And loving it.
Kim

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 15, 2008
11:51 PM

Post #4543807

I think the sheer joy of watching our little seeds spring to life is a child like happiness and while ever we have that ... we are young! :)
chrissy (admitting to being ...gulp 58 ...the old granny of this youthful group) lol

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 16, 2008
12:01 AM

Post #4543846

Ok, we elect James and maybe Lu to be our big brother/sister here. The rest of us will follow their leads. lol.
Kim
MyRee
Brigham City, UT
(Zone 5b)

February 16, 2008
12:36 AM

Post #4543952

OH :( look at the fun I have been missing. Just got home from work. I am right in there with you, 53 last month. 33ish would be fine with me. My mother is 86 and she says she still feel like she is 40ish.
I remember every day after school we would come home to my dad watching the Flintstones. Sundays were Wonderful World of Disney, Bonanza and hurry home from church to watch Gunsmoke. My dad also got a kick out of Jackie Gleason and Red Skelton. "...Alice... one of these days...POW right in the kisser" Clem was his favorite. Oh those were the times. Don't watch much TV these days. Rather do many other things.
"Don't sit under the apple tree with anyone else but me"
pensacolagarden
Pensacola, FL
(Zone 8b)

February 16, 2008
2:13 AM

Post #4544355

lol ok Kim I would make a good big brother but I do not have a car to take the poor kids anywhere...

James

Robynznest

Robynznest
Pittsburg, MO
(Zone 6b)

February 16, 2008
2:53 AM

Post #4544489

You can ride me on the back of your bike.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 16, 2008
3:37 AM

Post #4544686

Nite nite you, a girl gotta get some zzzzzz. More to post later in the morning.
Kim
AuntB
NE, KS
(Zone 5b)

February 16, 2008
3:51 AM

Post #4544737

Yes, our little seeds sprouting, a new bud, a new bloom... it's all so very exciting. I was thinking of Red Skelton on the way home, I liked his program.. remember program? and on Jackie GIeason I always thought Trixie and Alice should get an apt. of their own. lol How about TopoJiJo (sp) on Ed Sullivan? I need to check that seed pod but, I'm too tired/lazy to run downstairs... I'm making vegetable soup for this weekend. Robin, I remember that! My cousin was "driving" and we crashed, its funny now! Aw, James,.. brothers don't need cars. Actually, I have 3 sisters, and 1 BIL. off to the kitchen-B
pensacolagarden
Pensacola, FL
(Zone 8b)

February 16, 2008
12:54 PM

Post #4545364

LOL

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 16, 2008
1:08 PM

Post #4545392

Good morning, James, and everyone.
The weather is mild today before it will rain again tomorrow here. I'll be busy working on yet more flower bed for the weekend, and will try to package some seeds to send out first to you, James and another buddy in Tx. The rest will be awaiting for the pods to finish rippen.
Have a great weekend everyone. I'm tickled pink, I'll get more space to plants my flowers this spring.
Kim
pensacolagarden
Pensacola, FL
(Zone 8b)

February 16, 2008
1:14 PM

Post #4545404

Yeah I am going to home depot today to see what the cost of some timber would be for my first raised bed I kind of want it to be huge...lol I wish for big but oh well I will be happy with a small one that i can plant some herbs in and some flowers as well I really like the look of plants and flowers and herbs heck i will even put a tomato in there...lol

Good Morning Kim,

And Great thanks for thinking of me first for the seeds that makes me a happy gardener!!!

James
posyblossom
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

February 16, 2008
1:17 PM

Post #4545415

UhOh! I think I may be the oldest one here at 61...sigh...I used to be the youngest everywhere I went☻I might have to be the Gramma of this group♥

GOGO Kim, make happy seeds to send us☺☺

LU

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 16, 2008
1:47 PM

Post #4545470

Morning, Lu. Age is but a number, wisdom isn't mandatory. Celebrate our loves and loved ones. Most of all garden happily and heartily -- which keep us young at heart.

James, care to open a continuation thread for this one (since this is too long for dial-up)? Tittle: 1st time harvesting brugs' seeds & New 'lil babiez seedlings? Seems you or Robin or Marie need to this 'cause yours germinated, and mine hasn't.
pensacolagarden
Pensacola, FL
(Zone 8b)

February 16, 2008
1:50 PM

Post #4545479

Oh lets call it New lil babiez seedlings...lol

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 16, 2008
1:56 PM

Post #4545492

Go for it, please, please!
Kim

Robynznest

Robynznest
Pittsburg, MO
(Zone 6b)

February 16, 2008
9:44 PM

Post #4547488

I'm up for a new thread and remember to save the earth it's the only one with chocolate.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 16, 2008
10:55 PM

Post #4547743

Hi Robin,
James has started a continuation thread.
We went here:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/814146/
Ncasselberryfla
Geneva, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 2, 2008
4:19 PM

Post #4612498

Can someone tell me how long the seeds are viable, and, if they have a good "shelf life", how should they be stored--and how long-- to keep them viable.

Thanks,

Brad

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 2, 2008
4:28 PM

Post #4612522

Brad, if I understood it right, the viability/inert ratios drop markably if stored. Some say over a year old seeds germination rate drops drastically. My fresh seeds were 100% success. Older seeds take longer to germinate (most often those need to be peeled off before sowing). And since they don't need prechilled condition to germinate, allow the seeds to dry out, and store them in dried cool, paper envelope. That's what I would do for mine. (I shared most of my fresh seeds, and hope to harvest fresh ones for the coming growing seasons).
Kim
Ncasselberryfla
Geneva, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 2, 2008
7:34 PM

Post #4613136

Hey, thanks Kim! I am glad I don't have to plant them right away as I have quite a few coming, provided the pods don't fall off green.

Brad
posyblossom
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

March 3, 2008
1:35 AM

Post #4614384

Kim,I can't make the link work so I can save the earth and get chocolate☻

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 3, 2008
1:54 AM

Post #4614486

What link, Lu? I'm kinda lost here.
posyblossom
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

March 3, 2008
2:13 AM

Post #4614589

Kim,Your post above,Feb.16th, up above, says James started a continuation thread and you list a link that says you went there?

Maybe I misunderstood? I do that quite frequently here☻

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 3, 2008
2:17 AM

Post #4614613

Oooops, I don't know what happened there. Let's try again.

Here is the link;

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/814146/

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 4, 2008
3:16 AM

Post #4619584

Anyone has seedpod that's this long? This is my first Dr. D x Sauveolens White. It's about foot long. Cool seedpod!

Lu, were you able to connect to the new link?

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 4, 2008
3:15 PM

Post #4621153

Tonny; Dr. D thus far performed very well in my gh, I hope to have more of its offspring in the garden. Yours looks great.
posyblossom
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

March 4, 2008
4:37 PM

Post #4621513

Thanks Kim,yes,the link worked this time☺and congrats on your cool seedpod. You sure are doing things right in the Garden World and your new,first time babies on the other thread are awesome,must be a double,triple thrill being a first time☺☺I hope they will be super bloomers☺

Robynznest

Robynznest
Pittsburg, MO
(Zone 6b)

March 5, 2008
1:56 AM

Post #4623552

Wow Kim, that is one huge pod you got there. Congrats, you too Tonny. I've never seen anything quite like them.
werewolf1
Heber Springs, AR

September 25, 2008
8:33 AM

Post #5596799

LILY_LOVE, I HAVE SEVERAL DL'S THAT I WOULD TRADE U FOR SOM BRUG SEEDS. ANYTHING EXCEPT PINK, I HAVE THOSE.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

September 25, 2008
3:59 PM

Post #5598031

werewolf1, brugs seeds will produce different offsprings to that of the parent plant. If you desired certain color blooming brugs. You'd be better off with cuttings. I've some left over seeds that I can send out, but I can't garantee what color they're going to be.

For a flat rate of approximate $ 7.00, I can also send you some cutting of my white and yellow blooming brugs. If you're interested, dmail me.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

September 25, 2008
8:46 PM

Post #5599021

How much fun was this thread?
How many babies did we make ...ha ha ha!
Things that I have found out since the early days.
White is dominant ...lol
don't let it turn you off crosses ...
Sauvelons white will dominate ...great if you love white and perfumed (white lily) ...most times, I think it was great to practice on , but like most new Angel seed sowers I suspect most of the early crosses will be white. However if these whites have pink in their "blood" you still keep crossing back to others with pink (both sides) backgrounds and you will start coming up with colours ...overseas they seem to be breeding the sauvelons out of the Angels as they prefer the yellows and oranges. I hope everyone enjoyed the fun ...Kim you are a star!
Let the fun continue ^_^
chrissy

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

September 25, 2008
9:13 PM

Post #5599093

Aughrrrr! Chrissy, you're making me blushed. I love the white sauv. seedling's flowers that I grew out last year.

Here is something new; for next year this time, I can display the result of this Eternity brug's babe. I've recently crossed it with a double pink. I'll see how the two beautiful parents' union will produce their offsprings.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

September 25, 2008
10:24 PM

Post #5599383

Whoo Hoo! they should be great! ...I am studying bloodlines now ...I find it very interesting ...have a look at the the updated names registry in ABADS ...it's a lot more user friendly (on the eyes) note the constant good parents of the best named crosses.
Equador Pink and other species types seem to help a lot with the colours ...depending on the colours we want. Love your pink angels.
happy gardening everyone and a hug to you Kim ...

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

December 9, 2008
11:16 PM

Post #5875911

Update: Back in Sept. this year; I crossed 5 different types of brugs with an un-named double pink's pollens. One by one the pollens were rejected, except one, and that was the above Eternity. Then recently, I've tried to cross Cupid Blush with various others, including Eternity. All others have failed to accept the hand pollination but Eternity and double pink x'ed Cupid Blush. In summary, Eternity (the pink brug shown above) currently carries two seedpods. One of double pink, another belongs to Cupid Blush. Next year, there are promises of new seedlings. ^_^

Robynznest

Robynznest
Pittsburg, MO
(Zone 6b)

December 9, 2008
11:34 PM

Post #5875985

Congrats. I'm going to look forward to seeing those little babies grow when you get them started. I currently have 5 of the seed babies still going, they are in the garage now, Hopefully they will 'Y" this summer for me. Thanks so much Lily, this has been very exciting for me. If you ever need a seed parent again just let me know.
texasrockgarden
Canyon Lake, TX
(Zone 8b)

December 9, 2008
11:50 PM

Post #5876044

The first post to this thread was back in Jan of this year.

Did the seeds germinate, make plants, and bloom. Does anybody have any pictures?

Would love to see how Lily -love's hand pollination back in Sept. of '07 worked out and what it produced.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

December 10, 2008
1:23 AM

Post #5876376

me tooo

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

December 10, 2008
1:52 AM

Post #5876469

These I believe were one of my seedlings that bloomed for me. Others were not quite fully developed. This one reverted back to be identical to that of its maternal parent. It was a white Sauv. x'ed noid pink.

Other seedlings are numerous, they are being kept in container culture to grow out and hopefully will flower next year (?). I'll update this thread then.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

January 5, 2009

Post #5970146

Mine are 6/7 ft tall but we are having temps of 105/109F at the moment and the tiny new buds are shrivelling and falling off ...I have to wait until the heatwave is over I guess ...it's almost as bad as waiting for that first seed to germinate ^_^ it has been a wonderful experience. I hope it has been wonderful for all of you too.
chrissy
MyRee
Brigham City, UT
(Zone 5b)

January 6, 2009
2:12 PM

Post #5972631

Chrissy,
I have at least 65 plants in my garage, very cold here. 5 to 19 degrees F at this time. My garage stays 34 - 40 degrees F. I have tiny leaves on the top of a few of them, the others look like sticks. I hope they survive.
Good luck with yours. Mine started blooming well in the early fall when the weather cooled.
Marie

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 6, 2009
6:17 PM

Post #5973707

It's nice to see your posting Marie! How is your lovely grand baby? Boys, winter where you're must be tough! Your collection multiplied fast! Hope they will turn out well for you. I checked on my seedpods this year. There are some that are close to ripen. In fact some pods I've noticed the stems begun to turn straw color, signals that it's not too long before harvest time. (The open pollinated white Sauv. brug).
MyRee
Brigham City, UT
(Zone 5b)

January 7, 2009
12:33 AM

Post #5975220

I do check in once in a while, My life is so hectic, as is most everyones. I see the beautiful brugs and have just about decided to simplify and look at others. We will see what this year brings. I am not going to try to get pods, I will leave that to the experts.
Have fun in your sweltering heat while we freeze to death here. (I think I need to live in the Bahamas).
Marie

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 7, 2009
2:58 AM

Post #5975742

Currently Super Nova yielded this one single bloom to cheer me up. It has been relatively warm in the 70'ish but that soon will change outside soon. Argh!!! Stay warm Marie.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 11, 2009
3:45 AM

Post #5991254

Second year's harvest. Here is my first seedpod ripen this winter.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

March 28, 2009
4:54 AM

Post #6330178

I thought that you might like to look at what popped out for me from my second seed sprout seed ...the first was a nice but not spectacular bloom

Thumbnail by chrissy100

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

March 28, 2009
4:57 AM

Post #6330185

I thought hmmm so here is my first frog (I loved it anyway as it was born on a very special day)

Thumbnail by chrissy100

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

March 28, 2009
5:04 AM

Post #6330204

But a few days later ...(last week) my number two began to open ...I could not believe my eyes ...they were opening yellow ...and I knew it would be double ...after the double opened a little more there was yet another still inside. Nothing like a small miracle is there?
It may not be perfect but to my eyes ...who have yet to behold a double let alone a triple (they all had triple skirts) it seems like a fairy tale come true! I wanted to show you Kim since we had this big adventure.

Thumbnail by chrissy100

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

March 28, 2009
5:09 AM

Post #6330215

Not bad for a first flush

Thumbnail by chrissy100

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

March 28, 2009
5:14 AM

Post #6330221

I suppose I will kiss a thousand frogs to pay for this one ...but it was worth it. hope you and everyone are happily going into Spring as we happily enter Autumn ...a big happy wave to all of you.
chrissy

Thumbnail by chrissy100

pensacolagarden
Pensacola, FL
(Zone 8b)

March 28, 2009
11:25 AM

Post #6330588

Wow Chrissy very nice congrats!!!
bettydee
La Grange, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 28, 2009
11:52 AM

Post #6330629

Chrissy, Congratulations!!!. That last bloom is absolutely gorgeous!. I hope she continues to flush this way for you. Who are the parents?

Robynznest

Robynznest
Pittsburg, MO
(Zone 6b)

March 28, 2009
12:20 PM

Post #6330694

Oh how beautyful they are. Congrats!

Come on spring, I'm ready for the blooms.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 28, 2009
1:35 PM

Post #6330873

Hi Chrissy, wooohooo! I'm so happy for you. Hi James, Betty, Robin. Glad to hear from everyone.
Chrissy, here in my region I'm just now getting ready to move my tender plant back out to the garden. I'll post any new development later.
Happy gardening,
Kim

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

March 29, 2009
11:44 PM

Post #6337446

Hi I thought I had better pop back to tell you the cross ...a common one I think
Ludgers Windsong x New Orlean's Lady ...my guess is most of you would have that one ...I intend to breed him with the same cross, hoping for a darker orange ...although this one is lovely, so try crossing yours to each other even if they are white ...this is hiding in there ...thankyou for your kind comments. I wish you all great success with your angels this Spring season ...
chrissy ^_^

Thumbnail by chrissy100

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Brugmansias Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
it you take cuttings from a blooming plant.. arlene 52 Dec 21, 2010 12:39 PM
Great Brugmansia hybrids fast Brugmansia 24 Jul 8, 2013 12:49 AM
How Many Other Canadian Brug Lovers Are Here? Ladybug 30 Aug 7, 2010 8:24 PM
Labeled Parts - 2nd try poppysue 15 Jan 8, 2010 2:19 PM
parentage monika 80 Nov 14, 2011 6:36 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America