Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Bromeliads: Bromeliad

Communities > Forums > Bromeliads
bookmark
Forum: BromeliadsReplies: 22, Views: 313
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
bromefreak
(JOE) Chicago, IL
(Zone 5a)

January 13, 2008
11:10 AM

Post #4394931

Pic test

Thumbnail by bromefreak
Click the image for an enlarged view.

bromefreak
(JOE) Chicago, IL
(Zone 5a)

January 13, 2008
11:15 AM

Post #4394933

Another test Sorry for the test pics new here

Thumbnail by bromefreak

bromefreak
(JOE) Chicago, IL
(Zone 5a)

January 13, 2008
11:19 AM

Post #4394935

How about one more

Thumbnail by bromefreak

svplantingfool
South Venice, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 13, 2008
11:33 AM

Post #4394941

Nice collection, I just adore the striped leaved broms too!

Welcome to Dave's Garden!
Cathy

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 13, 2008
5:10 PM

Post #4395920

Must be hard to have them in Chicago. Whenever I get jealous of all the things I can't grow because it's too darn hot, I just look out back at my bromeliad garden and it makes me feel better.

Melanie
bromefreak
(JOE) Chicago, IL
(Zone 5a)

January 13, 2008
10:48 PM

Post #4397285

Hello Cathy Thanks and yes they are my favorites too. Hello Melanie I feel they same way about the cold here wishing it was warm and I could keep my 600 plus plants outside. Here is a link to my collection http://community.webshots.com/user/rezny alot of pics grab a cup of coffee and enjoy them. Joe

This message was edited Jan 13, 2008 5:01 PM

Thumbnail by bromefreak

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 14, 2008
8:50 PM

Post #4401721

Absolutely beautiful - LOVE those colors!!!
svplantingfool
South Venice, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 15, 2008
2:12 AM

Post #4403245

Joe, thanks for the link. I did enjoy a nice cup of English Breakfast tea last night while I looked at your pics. Fantastic collection!
These pics were a few of my favorites:
100-0140, 100-0564, 100-0490 (I just love orange flowers!)
Here's one of my little collections.
Cathy

Thumbnail by svplantingfool

bromefreak
(JOE) Chicago, IL
(Zone 5a)

January 15, 2008
10:47 AM

Post #4404401

Thanks Chantell glad you like them. Thanks Cathy also glad you like the pics. You are lucky to live where it is warm I really wish I could keep mine outside all year it's a lot of work to bring all my plants in for the winter.

Thumbnail by bromefreak

svplantingfool
South Venice, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 15, 2008
11:19 AM

Post #4404427

I can only imagine how many trips back and forth you make. I grew up in Mass, but I sure do appreciate the warm weather here!

Thumbnail by svplantingfool

shellabella
West Central, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 15, 2008
3:56 PM

Post #4405280

Bromfreak, my jaw dropped as I sat watching the slide show of your pics.
What a beautiful collection of plants!
When you do something you do it right!
I especially admire your setup and the way you have them arranged in such a nice setting.
Thanks so much for sharing!

I have only just begun my obsession with broms, I have a grand collection of 5...lol!
The way I got started was when another DGer handed me a brom one day at my house and said,"Would you like a common Bromeliad? I just don't care for them at all and I really don't want to throw it out." I wasn't sure what to do with it since I had never owned one, but I am always up for something new, and to learn about it. So I kept it and watered it when it seemed to need it.
Well several months later it bloomed and I fell in love.

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 15, 2008
4:17 PM

Post #4405364

None of mine (I only have a few, myself) have bloomed yet - but the COLORS when they're outside...THAT'S what did it for me!!

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

January 15, 2008
11:04 PM

Post #4406906

bromfreak your plants are outstanding and your photography is amazing!!! What is that orangey bromeliad you posted today at 4:47? What kind of camera do you use? Amazing pictures!!!!

Jeri
ashleykelly
New Iberia, LA
(Zone 9a)

January 16, 2008
2:13 AM

Post #4407693

wow! what an awesome collection! thanks for sharing. i love all your tropicals too...and really admire how well you can grow them in your zone. my favorite brom was the green and white one 100_0064 (on page 7). any idea of the name?
bromefreak
(JOE) Chicago, IL
(Zone 5a)

January 16, 2008
12:06 PM

Post #4408824

Good Morning Everyone I will try to reply to all of you one at a time. Cathy it's not just the trips back and forth but each one has to be flushed out and dead leaves removed some repotted etc. LOL My best estimate is about 2 weeks of work before they are all in for the winter.

Thumbnail by bromefreak

bromefreak
(JOE) Chicago, IL
(Zone 5a)

January 16, 2008
1:17 PM

Post #4409022

Good Morning Shellabella Thanks for the nice comments. My collection is always a work in progress I like to change things around alot LOL thank goodness there all in pots. I understand your obsession which for me started out as a mild curiosity but then I was bitten by this bug I am sure all the brome collectors know which one I am talking about the one that once your bitten there is NO turning back. You start looking for more info on these amazing plants and you find all these websites with pics and more pics. The more you see the more you want and you buy one and it comes to your house you open it up and and you say what a cool plant and then it happens now I am talking Twilight Zone stuff here LOL the doorbell rings and it's the postman with another box and no sooner you close the door and it rings again and it's the ups guy and he has a even bigger box and so it goes the doorbell never stops ringing you have so many boxes you could start your own cardboard box factory. Then you have all these plants but you forgot the pots lots and lots of pots. But what about potting mix gotta have that wait was that the doorbell? I am sure you know what i mean but what enjoyment and satisfaction I get from my gardening as I am sure all the wonderfull people on this forum and all gardeners no matter what you grow recieve from being in touch with nature.

Thumbnail by bromefreak

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 16, 2008
4:37 PM

Post #4410134

OMG THAT is too funny...and sadly too true...know that happened with my C & S collection (before I narrowed down what my pref was) and I feel it "coming on " with these as well. "...each one has to be flushed out and dead leaves removed some repotted..." I've not killed any of mine yet - but "just in case" is there a site and/or book you feel is better then another regarding the care of these gorgeous plants? Sorry to bombard you with questions...
bromefreak
(JOE) Chicago, IL
(Zone 5a)

January 16, 2008
4:58 PM

Post #4410221

Hello Jeri Thanks for the comments. I use a Kodak easyshare Z7590 Camera still have not figured it all out yet. The plant is a neo hybrid not sure of the name.

Thumbnail by bromefreak

bromefreak
(JOE) Chicago, IL
(Zone 5a)

January 16, 2008
5:11 PM

Post #4410267

Hello Cathy I have not read any books learned about these from reading forums and a lot of trial and error. What really got me going was the pics of the brome shows go here http://fcbs.org/pictures.htm at the top click on the shows link and check the pics out just fantastic I only wish I could grow them as well as these.

Thumbnail by bromefreak

bromefreak
(JOE) Chicago, IL
(Zone 5a)

January 16, 2008
5:26 PM

Post #4410320

Hello ashlykelly Thanks for the comments. The plant you like is Aechmea Samurai.

Thumbnail by bromefreak

shellabella
West Central, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 16, 2008
7:18 PM

Post #4410915

Oh I like that one too and about 100 others...lol!

Brom...I know what you mean about the plants arriving and the obsession! I have a dinning room table full of empty boxes I need to breakdown and store today...lol!

I started out collecting Orchids, then Passies, then EE's then semps, now Broms. I love all my collections and add to all of them every year.I have a whole yard I am creating and so there is always room for at least one more...lol!
In my mind tho, my place is much bigger than it actually is!

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 16, 2008
8:46 PM

Post #4411298

Shella - thank God the orchid bug hasn't bitten me yet...the rest on your list...oh yeah...my living room (EE's) and yard are proof...LOL
Johntique
Winter Park, FL

January 25, 2008
6:25 PM

Post #4452857

Greetings ! ...

Regarding the reply with photo from Bromfreak dated Jan. 16 @ 12:26 p.m.;
the plant in the photo is not aechmae Samurai ... it is aechmea Chantinii - and appears to be the black form. Samurai is a vareigated form, the cream colored stripes running vertically along the leaf, the silver "bars" running horizontally - giving the effect of green & cream plaid. There is also an albomarginated form called "Shogun". Both of these are Japanese hybrids - and both are extremely beautiful!

John

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Bromeliads Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
bromeliads ..how to propogate????? pixiedust 11 Jan 10, 2009 5:14 AM
Aechmea Blue Tango giancarlo 16 Feb 4, 2008 7:24 AM
My cryptanthus collection Chris_Lorry 30 Mar 2, 2009 12:43 PM
Growing a pineapple from the store. mikekilhoffer 20 Feb 18, 2009 7:49 PM
Looking to trade for colorful Bromeliads and similar plants. bwilliams 10 Jan 14, 2008 9:03 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America