Photo by Melody

Bird Identification: CLOSED: Sad Discovery, ID please.

Communities > Forums > Bird Identification
bookmark
Forum: Bird IdentificationReplies: 20, Views: 153
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
PeeperKeeper
Georgetown, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 13, 2008
8:01 PM

Post #4396607

This morning when I went outside, I made the sad discovery of a dead bird in the flowerbed, right near one of my feeders. My first thought was "oh no! I hope something hasn't decided to stalk my feeders!" But then I quickly realized that if that were the case, the bird wouldn't by lying there on the ground.

First, I don't know what type of bird it is. I don't remember seeing it at the feeders in life. I've just been seeing titmice, chickadees, Goldfinches, and Rose Crowned Kinglets for the most part. It's a fairly drab little bird. Not much variety of color or wingbars. It does seem to have a mottled brown and grey back though.

Here are pics:

Thumbnail by PeeperKeeper
Click the image for an enlarged view.

PeeperKeeper
Georgetown, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 13, 2008
8:03 PM

Post #4396616

Here is a pic of its mottled color back.

Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

January 13, 2008
8:06 PM

Post #4396632

Peeper,

Oh no! How sad! It's a sweet little Junco! :-((

So sorry to hear about him/her!

http://www.birds.cornell.edu/AllAboutBirds/BirdGuide/Dark-eyed_Junco.html
PeeperKeeper
Georgetown, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 13, 2008
8:07 PM

Post #4396639

Looking through my Birds of Texas book, I thought it *could* be a Wood-Pewee except its beak is pinker. Maybe a sparrow, but it seemed like even the sparrows have more color.

Last pic. I opened its wing in case that gives a clue, and to show size perspective. Don't worry, I went right in and washed my hands.

pelletory
Marlton, NJ

January 13, 2008
8:10 PM

Post #4396655

I agree Dark-eyed Junco. Female

PeeperKeeper
Georgetown, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 13, 2008
8:14 PM

Post #4396670

Oh, thanks Marylynnbeth. I had wondered if I'd see juncos, but hadn't gotten a look at one yet. I would never have guessed that from the picture in my book. They only show a picture of the male slate-colored Junco and it doesn't look anything like the picture. They describe other juncos, but it's hard to tell from that.

Here is the culprit. I just took this photo a few minutes ago, in the afternoon, but in the morning, the sky reflects off the windows, so I'm sure that's why it flew into it.

PeeperKeeper
Georgetown, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 13, 2008
8:16 PM

Post #4396675

My younger daughter has those cling window stickers on her window which is also on that side of the house. I didn't want to put them on the rest of the windows, but maybe I'll have to do that.

Has anyone used the ones that are supposed to be visible only to the birds? I think they reflect UV light only.

pelletory
Marlton, NJ

January 13, 2008
8:19 PM

Post #4396685

The second picture down in that link is a female dark-eyed junco.
Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

January 13, 2008
8:24 PM

Post #4396702

Peeper,

I have those cling ons for the birds too. You can get them at Duncraft

http://www.duncraft.com/search.aspx

I have the 'maple' leaf ones

http://www.duncraft.com/Leaf-WindowAlerts-Prevent-Bird-Strikes-4-Decals-P1801C0.aspx

I've gotten a pack at Wild Birds Unlimited before too. My guess is that most online bird supply companies carry them.

I had wondered how close your windows were to the Junco on the ground. Thought that's what happened to him.
PeeperKeeper
Georgetown, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 13, 2008
8:27 PM

Post #4396714

Thanks Pelle, I was talking about it not looking like the one picture in my book.

Looking at the pics on the link, I think it looks most like the pink sided form, but my Birds of Texas book says the three who most commonly overwinter in Texas are the Slate-colored, the Oregon and the Grey-headed Juncos. I don't think it's the Oregon because its head isn't that dark, but it could be either of the other two from what I can see. Of course it could be a mixture like my titmice, lol.
Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

January 13, 2008
8:33 PM

Post #4396748

Here's a photo I took that shows them on a window outside in Oct. 2006.

Thumbnail by Marilynbeth

PeeperKeeper
Georgetown, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 13, 2008
8:34 PM

Post #4396751

Well, it crossed my mind that it could be a problem out there, but I hoped it wouldn't.

Are those UV reflective ones really invisible to people, and do they work for the birds?

Thanks for the link by the way.
Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

January 13, 2008
8:35 PM

Post #4396757

Another pic from the same time of them

Thumbnail by Marilynbeth

PeeperKeeper
Georgetown, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 13, 2008
8:36 PM

Post #4396760

LOL, we posted at the same time. Great pic. That answers my question about how much they show up and that's not bad at all.
Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

January 13, 2008
8:39 PM

Post #4396773

I don't have any photos of mine that show them from the inside looking out, but looking at this Duncraft link gives you an idea. They aren't too noticeable to us, but great for the birds, which matter. I have them on the patio doors and need to add more when it gets warmer and nicer.

http://www.duncraft.com/Leaf-WindowAlerts-Prevent-Bird-Strikes-4-Decals-P1801C0.aspx

Marilyn
Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

January 13, 2008
8:40 PM

Post #4396776

LOL Peeper! I'm trying to find more pics of mine that show them on the outside what they look like.
Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

January 13, 2008
8:43 PM

Post #4396781

Another photo from Oct. 2006

I have them on both sides of the patio door, but they are showing up a little better in the pic on the left side.

This message was edited Jan 13, 2008 3:44 PM

Thumbnail by Marilynbeth

Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

January 13, 2008
8:54 PM

Post #4396829

One from Jan. 2007. Look at the patio door just above the feeder post and you'll see one of the ones I have and its shadow from the sun on the glass. The shadow shows up better than the leaf 'cling on'.

Thumbnail by Marilynbeth

LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 13, 2008
9:00 PM

Post #4396863

I once had a thrill by finding a male painted bunting. He was knocked out for about 20 minutes. He finally revived and I sort of protected him until he could get his wings going again.
pelletory
Marlton, NJ

January 13, 2008
9:01 PM

Post #4396866

That must have been a thrill!
PeeperKeeper
Georgetown, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 13, 2008
9:24 PM

Post #4396962

I'm glad your Painted Bunting was okay, Lou. I wish this little lady had been so lucky, but unfortunately that wasn't the case. I guess on the bright side, now I know what the juncos look like so I can watch for others.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Bird Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
CLOSED: can anybody ID this bird (#2) lilyfantn 15 Dec 12, 2009 2:52 AM
CLOSED: What is this? konkreteblond 23 Jan 18, 2008 1:39 PM
CLOSED: Need confirm on ID pelletory 12 Mar 10, 2007 9:25 PM
CLOSED: Is this? Marilyn_FL 16 Jul 3, 2009 9:15 PM
CLOSED: This was in a field across from my house in north Jersey ago wilkins2 2 Mar 11, 2007 12:18 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America