Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Cut Flowers and Floral Design: The FLOWERPOT Cafe' VI - Join us for a cup of Flowers!

Communities > Forums > Cut Flowers and Floral Design
bookmark
Forum: Cut Flowers and Floral DesignReplies: 235, Views: 1,412
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
pupilpropogtr
Birmingham, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 13, 2008
9:58 PM

Post #4397103

2008 has started off with a bang. New faces from so many places makes for a wonderful cafe'. Glad to see all the old patrons here as well. Let's keep this wonderful cafe' "blooming" with beauty, from both flowers and friends, and hopefully new customers throughout the year.

Have a seat, join us for a cuppa or two and hope you enjoy your visit!

We came from here http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/801252/

Thumbnail by pupilpropogtr
Click the image for an enlarged view.

starlight1153
Seale, AL
(Zone 8b)

January 13, 2008
11:19 PM

Post #4397401

Thanks for the new link. : )

Thumbnail by starlight1153

pupilpropogtr
Birmingham, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 14, 2008
2:15 AM

Post #4398393

Star, that is lovely. What is that foliage. I have seen it before and love it!!
karmaplace
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 8b)

January 14, 2008
2:30 AM

Post #4398481

Hi Traci! Thanks for starting a new thread. Hi Star, I like your sunflower arrangement. I've always thought sunflowers look great with eucalyptus (?).

Thumbnail by karmaplace

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

January 14, 2008
2:33 AM

Post #4398508

Hi everyone, welcome to the flowerpot cafe!

Thankyou Traci for doing the link. I know what Star's foliage is!!!

Star, Thankyou for bringing in such a cheerful arrangement, perfect to brighten up the cafe with spring colours.
Nice placement using the large flower's at the bottom.

I am bringing in a low arrangement for the coffee table in the lounge. Please have a seat and check out our magazine rack!

Carnation buds, carnations, roses ,alstromera, carnation stems and diamond pins.

Hi Karma, Snap!

Thumbnail by terriculture

pupilpropogtr
Birmingham, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 14, 2008
2:34 AM

Post #4398512

Yay!! Karma's back, with an arrangement. Stunning I might add. It is eucalyptus. Thanks for jogging the brain. Mom has it growing at her house. I bet it drys well. I will have to find out and get some.
pupilpropogtr
Birmingham, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 14, 2008
2:34 AM

Post #4398514

snap
karmaplace
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 8b)

January 14, 2008
2:39 AM

Post #4398542

Awww, thanks Traci. Terri, excellent design! Love how you used the buds. Amazing!
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

January 14, 2008
2:40 AM

Post #4398545

Hi Karma and Traci!

Very pretty arrangement Karma, what a nice suprise! Love the way you have looped the bear grass.
snap again!

karmaplace
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 8b)

January 14, 2008
2:42 AM

Post #4398570

Awesome shot Terri! It's like a big burst of color. SNAP SNAP SNAP
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

January 14, 2008
2:50 AM

Post #4398609

Night night! awww and thanks!!

Chillax! Rosie Gourd's sister has come to work here!

weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

January 14, 2008
7:46 AM

Post #4399514

I started a post and Dh cmae and ebay'd and now I'm back, starting alllllllllll over!
Nevermind.
Hello everybody, beautiful arrangements as always! I love the looped grass Karma, I'll definitely use that method somewhere down the track.
Hi TC, Gourd you're clever!
That Eucalyptus, I just bought one to put in the garden to use with flowers. My Mum used to make us chew a leaf every sunday before church (don't know why)
Here are the Frangipani flowers, floating in a bowl with pink Allamanda flowers, good old xanadu leaves and Frangipani leaves. I thought it needed something else, but can't think of anything, so decided to stop before i cluttered it all up.
Comments and critisisms happily recieved.
Sue

Thumbnail by weed_woman

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

January 14, 2008
8:28 AM

Post #4399525

Good Morning Sue,
Thankyou ! I love Eucalyptus but I wouldn't fancy eating it!!! poor you.
Thankyou for the beautiful flower's this moring! What a treat before I have to face the miserable weather outside today! what beautiful flowers and foliage, I'm not sure if the leaves are stealing the show when it should be the frangipani!! (nice shinny leaves by the way)! did you use leaf shine?
I would place only 1 xanadu leaf on the water and add the flowers amongst it or maybe cut slits in the frangipani leaves and add some flowers through. Only my suggestions!... but still, you did a great job.
Thankyou for joining in with your arrangement, it's lovely to see.
Happy gardening, (lucky you)!

weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

January 14, 2008
10:11 AM

Post #4399544

The leaves are shiny because it was raining when I picked them, so I wiped them over with a cloth!
So I tried a new one with added Dracaena leaves. The Frangis won't last as lone because they are not in contact with the water, but hey, theres more where they came from. If it wasn't so wet, I'd go get more Allamandas, but it's also dark and spooky outside!
I'm off to bed but will be back tomorrow.
Have a cuppa for me.
Sue

Thumbnail by weed_woman

weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

January 14, 2008
10:26 AM

Post #4399554

Oh, oh, Oh one more before bed! I know there is alot of green. I like greeen!

Thumbnail by weed_woman

diggerette
Brooklyn, NY
(Zone 7a)

January 14, 2008
12:03 PM

Post #4399642

Good Morning !

What a great surprise to wake up to such beautiful floral arrangements. Thanks for the show.

Hi Karma, That arrangement is so beautiful and graceful. Get your certificate already:)

Terri, Fantastic. A mandala! What is the base and is the whole piece movable?

Sue, Very pretty, bold and striking. I especially like the one with the frangipani on the leaves

Off to work:(

starlight1153
Seale, AL
(Zone 8b)

January 14, 2008
12:56 PM

Post #4399771

Morning everybody!

Wow! Waking up to the smell of flowers and sunshine in here this morning. Smells so good everybody and looking just as pretty as can be.

Pupil.. My litle sunflower arrangement is probably about a whole " tall. I just grabbed oen of my kitchen kaddies and the reason ya haven't seen that type of foiage before is cuz both the sunflowers and the mini eucalptus are plastic. I have a little mini hoe, shovel and pith fork that will go in it when I can figure out where I stuffed them in the shed. i didn't have anythign live.

Karma... How beautiful!!! Love the colors, ones, I would never think of using. Did you tie them all together and then put in the bowl or did you just arrange them.

Can you buy seed of bear grass to grow? I do love how ya all make loops and such from that stuff.

Terri.. I ant to take that arrangement and have it put on a straw hat and wear it to market. I love it. So bright and cheerful.

Weed Woman... it a very cold 19F this morning and your arrangement warmign me up like the way the coffee isn't. Lovely. Wish I was in sunny place with those flowers all aroudn me.

yes, Karma.. get on them books. : ) Them fools don't know what they missing.

diggerette
Brooklyn, NY
(Zone 7a)

January 14, 2008
1:48 PM

Post #4399917

Hi Star, Sorry, I forgot to mention your cheerful display. Love the flowers and eucalyptus. Eucalyptus is one of my favoritedried plants. They smell good and look pretty. I have them all over my house.
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

January 14, 2008
7:30 PM

Post #4401332

Ohh excellent Sue!!
Wow, I wasn't expecting to see another two, they are really good. I was worried thinking about you when I was at work today, hoping I hadn't put you offf!! The design of your last two is much more thought out, don't you think? really well balanced. Striking arrangements, well done!
Funny, the foliage we buy here is usually dull and it needs a spray to shine it up! I like green too!

Hi Adele,
Thankyou! The base is a plate and the whole arrangement is movable. What is a Mandala? the only one I know is Nelson!!

Hi Star,
I would love to give you my arrangement to wear for market!! funny flower lady!!!

Well, going to cook dinner, then I may be back later with the flower's I bought today!
Sue, here's a green chair for you, enjoy your cuppa!
Hi to everyone else!

karmaplace
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 8b)

January 14, 2008
8:56 PM

Post #4401751

Sue, I LOVE it! So cool. Your dracaena looks like plumeria leaves. I love the tropical foliage. . .goes very well with the frangipani flowers. How many frangipani's do you have? You must have plenty. I have 2 plumerias that haven't flowered, but when they do, I don't think I can spare them in a cut flower arrangement. Check out Clare's plumie ring. http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/772661/

Sue, the pink flower is allamanda? I have a yellow one, but the bloom is not as big. It's very pretty.

Thanks Adele and Star. Star, I arranged the flowers and then inserted one end of the grass between the flowers, looped the grass and inserted the other end. If you try it, make sure your arrangement is snug, or else it will come right out. And. . .I haven't even gotten a chance to order the study guide yet. I will, I promise!

Hiya Terri and Traci! And everyone else out there!

diggerette
Brooklyn, NY
(Zone 7a)

January 14, 2008
10:21 PM

Post #4402085

Hi Terri. A mandala is a cosmic circular design sometimes used for meditation. I love the chair, great details. I have to find diamond pins. They're wonderful.
Hi everyone!
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

January 14, 2008
10:34 PM

Post #4402143

Hi Adele, It's true we do learn something new everyday! Thankyou, cosmic eh? sounds cool.
You can usually find the diamond pins at wedding shops and departments that have fabrics. Also at the floristry
warehouse. I'm always on the lookout for anything decorative to add to arrangements. Do you have any coloured wires?
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

January 15, 2008
1:01 AM

Post #4402793

I'm too tired to make anything tonight, maybe someone could do something with these rainbow tulips.
night all! Have a good day tomorrow.

weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

January 15, 2008
6:52 AM

Post #4404289

Hi all, Thanks Adele for your kind words.
Thanks for the "chair" TC, it looks very inviting and I beleive I will take a seat on it to sup my coffee! I was inspired by your words to change it around a bit, so "No worries" as the Aussies say. I can take constructive ideas.
Karma, I have 4 colours of Frangipani (I think) A fruit slald, (apricot) a pink, a red and the usual white in the photos. I have another pink that appears to be darker, so it's possible I have 5. In saying that I have about 10 planted and another 10-12 in pots for sale. They grow well here and don't require any special care over winter as it's very unusual to get frost. I have a yellow Allamanda also, the climbing one and the flower is huge, somewhat bigger than the pink. Evidently there is an apricot one also.
This pic is my darker pink in the rain. It only has 3 flowers, so I'm not picking them!!!!
Sue

Thumbnail by weed_woman

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

January 15, 2008
12:04 PM

Post #4404457

Good morning everyone!
Hey Sue, I love that 'no worries' phew!
I'm off to work in the enamelling class today, it's fun so I don't mind venturing out in the horrible weather.
Rain and more freezing rain.
Traci, your favourite English football team are playing tonight! I'll be in the cafe' T.V. room watching the game. It's an important match!
Have a lovely day all.

karmaplace
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 8b)

January 15, 2008
1:48 PM

Post #4404771

Morning everyone. Sue, I want to move to Australia just to grow those flowers! Hey Terri, have fun at your enameling class. Traci, who's your fave team again?
pupilpropogtr
Birmingham, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 15, 2008
5:08 PM

Post #4405656

LIVERPOOL!!!!!!

American - AUBURN!!!!
diggerette
Brooklyn, NY
(Zone 7a)

January 15, 2008
6:37 PM

Post #4405991

Terri, I bought green wire but only one gauge. I guess I'll have to use it when I make my wreaths. Why would I need other colors? So much to learn. I just read the thread where you show how to make a collar. Couldn't I also use it as a base for a wreath?Enameling what? Jewlery?

Sue, I love frangipani, will it grow in zone 7a?

Hi Karma , Pupil, Star and everyone else

mistygardener
Saint James, MO
(Zone 6b)

January 15, 2008
10:56 PM

Post #4406865

Hi everyone. I just wanted to stop in and let you know that the surgery was a success and all is fine! Hugs, Tammy
karmaplace
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 8b)

January 15, 2008
11:01 PM

Post #4406894

Hugs right back at you Tammy. So glad to hear the good news. Hi everyone. Go Liverpool!
mistygardener
Saint James, MO
(Zone 6b)

January 15, 2008
11:03 PM

Post #4406899

Thanks, Lana! :)
diggerette
Brooklyn, NY
(Zone 7a)

January 15, 2008
11:12 PM

Post #4406936

Tammy, That's great news!!!
mistygardener
Saint James, MO
(Zone 6b)

January 15, 2008
11:14 PM

Post #4406945

Thanks, Digger! :)
pupilpropogtr
Birmingham, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 16, 2008
12:43 AM

Post #4407303

Tammy, I didn't even know the surgery was today!! I am so glad to hear the good news. How is he doing?

I have my first course read. I won't bore ya'll with the details, but I am going to create a thread just for it. So, anyone who wants to play, watch for it. I will try to do it tonight.
karmaplace
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 8b)

January 16, 2008
1:52 AM

Post #4407629

Awesome Traci. . .I'm so excited!
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

January 16, 2008
2:53 AM

Post #4407901

Hi everyone,

Tammy great news! Thanks for letting us know.

For all the Liverpool supporters I'm pleased to say... we won 5-0 ! with a hat trick for our captain Steven Gerrard.

Traci, good to hear the course arrived, I'm looking forward to it.
Adele, Let's talk wires another day ok? got to sleep now!

Hope to see you all at the flower club tomorrow !

weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

January 16, 2008
9:58 AM

Post #4408747

Oh man! Flower club has come around again, and I haven't even looked at the thread you posted for me last week TC! Not only that, but we're on a totally new thread than last week. Awwwwwwwww!
I don't know your Zones Adele, but the Frangipani requires no frost. I noticed in the Plumeria (frangipani) forum, that alot of gardeners have a hot house set up to care for their frost tender plants. They are a lovely thing to have and smell devine!
Good luck at flower club all, I will check it out when I have a bit more time.
Hey Misty, was that Brandon having surgery on his hand? Hope all is well, Ouch!!!!
Now don't all boo and hiss me, but I hate football! (footballs trash the garden) I must be the only kiwi in the world who doesn't follow footy of one type or another!
Sue

Thumbnail by weed_woman

starlight1153
Seale, AL
(Zone 8b)

January 16, 2008
1:14 PM

Post #4409015

Morning evrybody! Time to put on the coffee pot somebody, I'm to busy tyign to rub the sleep out of my eyes and strech the kinks and crimps out of my body.

May go hunt up a cup of the coffee with the stars in it. So what if it a few days old. I a java freak and it a caffine fix.

Anybody here buy gerbera daisy and hold them over in a fridge or cooler. With the long stems will they stand up by themselves in a bouquet or an arrangement or do ya have to put a wire or somethign in them?

Terri... not fair putting all them lovely tulips up. I just ordered glads and working on some Dahlias for cut flowers and now ya making me wish I could grow tulips down here again.

Pupil.. I must have missed something somewhere. Looking all aroudn the edges and under the wallpaper, but can't figure out what course ya talking about? Shoot shouldn't have looke dunder the wallpaper, need to get the dust bunnies and crumbs out of the this electronic gadget.

Not a flower blooming anywheres out here, so I leave ya witha flower from my yard I enjoy and can't wait til it blooms again

diggerette
Brooklyn, NY
(Zone 7a)

January 16, 2008
4:31 PM

Post #4410112

Hi Star, I have iris' also. I miss my flowers.
Don't know the answer to the daisy question. But I was thinking about trying to grow gerbera daisies, lavender and frangipani now in the house so I could then make pretty pot et fleurs.
Morning everyone!
pupilpropogtr
Birmingham, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 16, 2008
6:02 PM

Post #4410487

Hey Star, NOVICE speaking. I used some Gerbera Daisies for Teensy's Birthday. I definitely had to use wire on them. It was easier to make the flower face which way you wanted. I also did them as stand alones, so they needed the support. When I used them in a larger arrangement, no support necessary.

Let's see, the first one I had to use wire. I also had to use a floral pick (or two) to hold it in the foam...

pupilpropogtr
Birmingham, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 16, 2008
6:03 PM

Post #4410492

I used wire on just the tops of these to get them to face right...

pupilpropogtr
Birmingham, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 16, 2008
6:06 PM

Post #4410500

No wire...

I have signed up for a correspondence floral arranging course. I am going to do a thread on it and some are going to play along. You are welcome to join too. I HOPE to have it done today, or at least this evening, with the first lesson.

pupilpropogtr
Birmingham, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 16, 2008

Post #4410504

Oh, and Star, IT IS SLEETING HERE!! Birmingham is about to shut down. lol.
diggerette
Brooklyn, NY
(Zone 7a)

January 16, 2008
7:36 PM

Post #4411010

Hey Traci, Those daisy are so pretty! Did Teensy have a great birthday?
Thank you for sharing the floral correspondence course. I can't wait!
pupilpropogtr
Birmingham, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 17, 2008
1:52 AM

Post #4412904

Teensy had 3 wonderful birthday parties. This was the last one, the biggie. She LOVES flowers and we constantly have them in vases, even dandilions. I am so glad you are going to do the course with us. I have just got to figure out a way to do it. It will be slow going, as I have Teensy every other week and won't have as much time. But this was something I treated myself to. I think I deserved it. lol.

I hope to have the kinks out by tomorrow. I have started working and won't have it done until tomorrow evening. It will be so much FUN!!
mistygardener
Saint James, MO
(Zone 6b)

January 17, 2008
5:21 AM

Post #4413694

Sorry I missed it, but thanks Terri and Traci!
pupilpropogtr
Birmingham, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 17, 2008
5:24 AM

Post #4413707

How is he doing now, Tammy?
distantkin
Saint Cloud, MN
(Zone 4b)

January 17, 2008
5:28 AM

Post #4413719

Hush, I am not here watching :o)

This message was edited Jan 16, 2008 11:31 PM
mistygardener
Saint James, MO
(Zone 6b)

January 17, 2008
5:29 AM

Post #4413722

He is in more pain now than before, but he is tough! Thanks for asking, Traci!
mistygardener
Saint James, MO
(Zone 6b)

January 17, 2008
5:30 AM

Post #4413726

Shame on you, Robbi!
distantkin
Saint Cloud, MN
(Zone 4b)

January 17, 2008
5:31 AM

Post #4413728

Ha Ha Ha!! I misspelled here and you missed it :oP
distantkin
Saint Cloud, MN
(Zone 4b)

January 17, 2008
5:32 AM

Post #4413732

No one would guess we are on the phone!!!!
mistygardener
Saint James, MO
(Zone 6b)

January 17, 2008
5:32 AM

Post #4413734

DANG IT! LOL
pupilpropogtr
Birmingham, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 17, 2008
5:50 AM

Post #4413778

Three way!!
mistygardener
Saint James, MO
(Zone 6b)

January 17, 2008
5:54 AM

Post #4413786

I don't think my cell phone will let me do that?
distantkin
Saint Cloud, MN
(Zone 4b)

January 17, 2008
5:54 AM

Post #4413787

Thats sounds BAD!! LOLOL
mistygardener
Saint James, MO
(Zone 6b)

January 17, 2008
5:56 AM

Post #4413790

GOT YOU ROBBI! HA HA HA You put an extra 's' on that! HE HE HE
distantkin
Saint Cloud, MN
(Zone 4b)

January 17, 2008
5:57 AM

Post #4413795

I don't like you any more!! And you have the nerve to laugh at me-good! I hope your chest hurts!!!!!!! QUIT LAUGHING!!!!!
mistygardener
Saint James, MO
(Zone 6b)

January 17, 2008
5:58 AM

Post #4413798

OH MY GOD! I can't quit laughing! This is really bad that I did this all the while being on the phone with her!
pupilpropogtr
Birmingham, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 17, 2008
5:58 AM

Post #4413800

Mine does.
mistygardener
Saint James, MO
(Zone 6b)

January 17, 2008
6:00 AM

Post #4413804

Ok, we will quit high jacking your thread now! LOL
distantkin
Saint Cloud, MN
(Zone 4b)

January 17, 2008
6:01 AM

Post #4413807

I don't know how to do it Traci. Sorry for taking over your thread, Tammy is making me talk on the phone so I will misspell everything!! Man is she a pain in my butt!!!
mistygardener
Saint James, MO
(Zone 6b)

January 17, 2008
6:04 AM

Post #4413812

At least she spelled butt right! HE HE HE
She loves me, though! LOL
pupilpropogtr
Birmingham, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 17, 2008
6:05 AM

Post #4413814

I need to get myself into bed anyway. I will try to catch up with both of you tomorrow, Tammy and Robbi.
mistygardener
Saint James, MO
(Zone 6b)

January 17, 2008
6:07 AM

Post #4413819

Ok, night night!
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

January 17, 2008
6:50 PM

Post #4415740

Hi everyone! hope you are having a good day.
Just bringing in some fresh tea!...

starlight1153
Seale, AL
(Zone 8b)

January 17, 2008
9:53 PM

Post #4416590

Evening everybody!

Gonna start gettign ready here to button down the hatches of everythign I can and get ready for several more nights in the teens, so terri, your pot of tea is refreshing sight to see. I may not be able to drink it, but I sure can put my hands around it and warm them. : )
karmaplace
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 8b)

January 17, 2008
11:10 PM

Post #4416938

Terri, your tulip tea was delicious as well as beautiful! I love the way you let it flow to one side. Perfect placement! Now, would you do me a favor and flip them to the other side like you're pouring the tulip out of the spout? Just curious.

Star, stay warm.
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

January 17, 2008
11:23 PM

Post #4416993

Hi Star and Karma,
Very funny Karma! as it happens I'm prepared for your request, (sort of).

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

January 17, 2008
11:35 PM

Post #4417050

How about this one for placement. Can you tell I had the day off work?!!! the housework is still looking at me.

diggerette
Brooklyn, NY
(Zone 7a)

January 17, 2008
11:58 PM

Post #4417158

Pretty!!Tulips and rosemary? They look wonderful together. Some more tea, please.
Hi Everyone!
pupilpropogtr
Birmingham, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 18, 2008
12:22 AM

Post #4417299

Well, it's a start on the course. http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/805192/
karmaplace
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 8b)

January 18, 2008
12:35 AM

Post #4417372

Thanks Traci. . .I am eagerly awaiting over there.
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

January 18, 2008
12:53 AM

Post #4417482

more tea ...

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

January 18, 2008
1:29 AM

Post #4417672

See you tomorrow in class everyone!

weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

January 18, 2008
12:34 PM

Post #4419381

Oh my gosh, I am so full of tea! LOL. Very nice arrangements TC. I started reading a flowering arranging boo last night. It's pretty old, but it gives one the general idea. I spotted a few more books at the opportunity shop, but didn't get them today. One at a time is enough.
Heres one I made tonight to put on the refreshment table at my plant sale tomorrow. The Leonotis doesn't usually last long as a cut flower. I read about putting boiling water on the stems! What do you make of that!

Thumbnail by weed_woman

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

January 18, 2008
12:47 PM

Post #4419411

Hi Sue,
Just popping in quickly before I go to work. Yes with woody stems it's a good idea to hold in a cup of boiling water for 1 minute. This shocks them, and helps them to draw water up the stems quicker, then put them in cold water and allow to condition for a couple of hours least.
Your arrangement is beautiful! So eye catching, your customers will start to come for the flower arrangements before you know it!! Good luck with the plant sale today!
Hi everyone!
weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

January 18, 2008
12:53 PM

Post #4419419

Thanks Terri, I'm actually off to bed now ( 11.51pm here) but thanks for the tip on boiling water. I let the cut plants soak in the sink for a couple of hours before I played with them. They are in an oasis block with a plastic mesh cover that you can poke the stems through. It's been floating around for as long as I can remember! Don't know where it came from.
Goodnoght all.
Sue
Pink Canna - a-la-natural.

Thumbnail by weed_woman

pupilpropogtr
Birmingham, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 18, 2008
5:46 PM

Post #4420747

Weeds, the canna is beautiful.

But, you arrangement is outstanding!! I am not proficient in flower names, so could you please give me the names of what you used. Like, the tall peach are...the trailing red is...and so on. I love the colors of the foliage. Thanks so much.

Terri, I forgot to mention, I love the tulips arrangements. One of my favorite flowers, as they remind me of mom. On her third year of breast cancer survival, I sent her a square vase of pink tulips laid over like the ones in the pot. She is 3 1/2 years now!! My favorite is the last circular one. I love it when you have a free day to play.

The daffs are great and either you got a new teapot or the flowers just make it pop.
diggerette
Brooklyn, NY
(Zone 7a)

January 18, 2008
7:38 PM

Post #4421318

Wow Sue, Great Job!! I love the color combination and all the different shapes. It looks very professional.
karmaplace
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 8b)

January 18, 2008
8:00 PM

Post #4421402

Terri, are those daffs from your garden? They are beautiful!

Sue, that arrangement is gorgeous. I would pick that one up in a second. Love the color combination and the assortment of foliage at the base.

At the shop, they would smash the ends of the woody stems before putting them in water. Have you heard of this? Not sure if that would be appropriate for every woody stemmed flower, however. Is Leonotis the orange flowers? I think I see red pentas at the base? That sure looks exotic to me. Thanks for sharing!
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

January 18, 2008
10:34 PM

Post #4421964

Good evening all!
Hi Sue, Thanks for saying!
just been looking at your arrangement again, Love all the different coloured foliage, and I think it's a lovely shape. You may need to buy some more oasis!The pink canna is beautiful, I'm going to buy some new ones this year. I usually get the lovely lush leaves, but no flowers. I don't think our weather is warm for long enough. This year I'm going to keep them in the greenouse and see if that helps.

Hi Traci, Thankyou! I enjoy my day off but then feel guilty when the chores are ignored!!! (only a little bit)!
I have found with tulips, they need to be kept cool or they open too quickly. I also keep them wrapped up to stop them from opening until I'm ready to use them. One interesting thing about tulips that I discovered when using them in arrangements with oasis, they actually continue to grow and you will see they pop up higher after a couple of days!
It's the same teapot I was moaning about before christmas. I have now decided to like it again and it belongs in the cafe.
I was going to ask you about the 'bud vase' would you mind showing me a picture of what you mean. Last time when Karma asked for a bud vase, I used a bud bottle because I really didn't know the shape! I was too shy to ask in your class!
Hi Karma, the daffs are from the supermarket, 2.00 for that bunch. It's too early for my garden daffs, no sign yet anyway! I have used the smash the end of the stems method for viburnum and it worked well.

This message was edited Jan 18, 2008 11:36 PM
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

January 18, 2008
10:41 PM

Post #4421988

Yesterday my Amarylis was closed...

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

January 18, 2008
10:44 PM

Post #4422001

Today it's open!

pupilpropogtr
Birmingham, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 18, 2008
11:14 PM

Post #4422130

Why did you have to ask that question, Terri? I now have looked at many vases I must have. Anyway, the basic idea of a bud vase is a smaller opening, for a bud/bloom or two and foliage. Here are several from one site to give you an idea.

http://www.target.com/Clear-Tall-Bud-Vase/dp/B000HZ9ZIG/qid=1200697502/ref=br_1_2/601-7468250-5628965?ie=UTF8&node=15992871&frombrowse=1&rh=&page=1

http://www.target.com/Ceramic-Bud-Vase-Gray-Flowers/dp/B000V6XFOG/qid=1200697560/ref=br_1_7/601-7468250-5628965?ie=UTF8&node=15992871&frombrowse=1&rh=&page=1

http://www.target.com/Calla-Lily-Footed-Vase-Sky/dp/B000CEZX1U/qid=1200697589/ref=br_1_9/601-7468250-5628965?ie=UTF8&node=15992871&frombrowse=1&rh=&page=1

http://www.target.com/Creamy-Red-Bottle-Vase-10/dp/B000CEZKRC/qid=1200697716/ref=br_1_11/601-7468250-5628965?ie=UTF8&node=15992871&frombrowse=1&pricerange=&index=tgt-mf-mv&field-browse=15992871&rank=pmrank&rh=&page=3

A ketchup bottle would even do. Your "flower bud" (budweiser bottle and flower) is one. I loved that one.

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

January 19, 2008
12:15 AM

Post #4422355

Hi Traci. I asked the question because although we all speak english, I have noticed you use different words than I use for some things. I know what you mean by a bud vase now. Thanks for showing me!
karmaplace
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 8b)

January 19, 2008
12:17 AM

Post #4422372

Terri, I didn't know you didn't know what a bud vase was. Your "bud" vase cracked me up when you first posted it!
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

January 19, 2008
12:24 AM

Post #4422396

OK BIG NEWS...
Terri didn't know what a bud vase was. Hahahahahahahahaha!!

karmaplace
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 8b)

January 19, 2008
12:27 AM

Post #4422408

Cracking up all over again, funny girl!!!
pupilpropogtr
Birmingham, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 19, 2008
1:20 AM

Post #4422665

I thought you did that as a joke!! ROTFLMBO!!
diggerette
Brooklyn, NY
(Zone 7a)

January 19, 2008
1:29 AM

Post #4422727

Did you stop laughing yet?

I'm having trouble opening up the flower club thread. Can someone hyperlink me to it? Maybe that will work.
Thank you
karmaplace
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 8b)

January 19, 2008
1:31 AM

Post #4422738

Terri, ROTFLMBO, a super acronym for you! Do you need help translating that one?

Pupli, I think she did do it as a joke! She had to have. . .it was too cute to be done seriously.
karmaplace
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 8b)

January 19, 2008
1:33 AM

Post #4422745

Dig, http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/762297/
diggerette
Brooklyn, NY
(Zone 7a)

January 19, 2008
1:38 AM

Post #4422777

Karma, Thanks anyway, it didn't work. I'll try a PC.
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

January 19, 2008
1:40 AM

Post #4422784

will you all stop laughing at me please!
pupilpropogtr
Birmingham, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 19, 2008
1:42 AM

Post #4422789

ARRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGG, MEN!!!!!

Ok, I feel better.
karmaplace
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 8b)

January 19, 2008
1:44 AM

Post #4422798

Are you okay Traci?
pupilpropogtr
Birmingham, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 19, 2008
1:48 AM

Post #4422818

I'm fine, Karma. Just needed to get it out. Figured this was the best place to do it, among friends.
karmaplace
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 8b)

January 19, 2008
1:57 AM

Post #4422856

Get it out girl!
pupilpropogtr
Birmingham, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 19, 2008
2:07 AM

Post #4422897

Have you ever seen the movie "Summer School"? Near the end, right before they were about to take their tests, one of the guys screams. He says, "tension breaker, had to be done." I have always loved that line and have used the method quite often, like now. lol.
karmaplace
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 8b)

January 19, 2008
2:09 AM

Post #4422910

Haven't seen it, Traci. But speaking of tension breaker. . .read this. . .it is tooooo funny! http://www.arenaflowers.com/blog/2007/10/05/floral-viagra-flowers-standing-to-attention/
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

January 19, 2008
5:04 AM

Post #4423435

Karma, I hadn't thought of that one, funny!

Thank goodness it's chillax Saturday...

Adele, I stll intend to do the natural container arrangement you suggested way back!!!!!!!
Star, it's about time us coffee drinkers had a fresh pot, I'll bring some in tomorrow.
Trac, I've organised a FLOWER SCHOOL BUS to take us to school . It will be arriving here at the cafe sometime tomorrow, it's really groovy!!!!.

lilies and sticks... yes I know I should take out the ...!!

pupilpropogtr
Birmingham, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 19, 2008
6:31 AM

Post #4423614

I can't wait to see the bus!! A floral school bus is perfect. Love the creativity.

Should have taken out? I can see the foam, but how would you take it out? I'm lost.
weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

January 19, 2008
9:43 AM

Post #4423761

Hello, thanks for all your kind words!
Pupilpropagtr, Starting from the bottom, the burgundy foliage is Iresine herbstii, Red Pentas above that (well done Karma), Lime green leaves on each side are Coleus spp, as are dark burgundy foliage in background, and Leonotis leanaurus is the tall orange flower stem, (again, well done karma) I am blessed to have a climate where almost anything grows and frosts are almost non-existant.
Yes TC, I am in desprerate need of a new piece of oasis! It was very crumbly. The arrangement lasted all day, but had wilted near the end, as we had a stiff, hot breeze all day, and they were in it!
I had a big day, had a sale and was very pleased with the sales. Not too many people, (6) but they all spent big! My DH reckons if I could get people in the door, I'd make a killing. I believe word will get around!
I'll go on the bus TC!
Sue
P.S
Little tiny roses from the garden. Wine anyone?

Thumbnail by weed_woman

karmaplace
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 8b)

January 19, 2008
9:53 AM

Post #4423763

Morning Sue! Can't take credit for the leonotis. . .I totally guessed it! The thing about foam is it dries up really fast. Did you happen to water the foam throughout the day? That might help it from wilting a little.

Thanks for the wine. Another beauty I have to say. Yellows and reds are a hot combination. Starlight, if you're around, that is a perfect idea for your fluted glass arrangement.

Terri, I have to work. . .will be a little late for the bus. Please wait for me!
weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

January 19, 2008
10:01 AM

Post #4423767

You're right karma, I didn't top up the water, and it was quite a small container they were in. I'll have to invest in some new vessels and props. I am really enjoying arranging plant material! There is so many different things to play with!
Oh yeah, sorry the glass of wine was so large, (I was really thirsty) but I up loaded the wrong size!
This is my Aechmea fasciata in flower. My daughter bought it for me for xmas a few years ago, and it has 4 flowers and numerous pups now. I don't have to arrange it, because it has its own vase! LOL

Thumbnail by weed_woman

karmaplace
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 8b)

January 19, 2008
10:03 AM

Post #4423769

Pretty Sue. Is that the same as a bromeliad? I'm poor with latin names.
weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

January 19, 2008
10:10 AM

Post #4423778

Sorry, yes it is. I always assume people know what I know. I use latin names more than common names, and my Mum reckons I sound precocious, but I think she's jealous!
Off for a shower, see you at the cafe tomorrow. If I'm not at the bus, leave with out me and I'll get the next one!
Sue
Leonotis on the left (just coming into bloom, Iresine on the right, spider lilies in front and Cordyline fruiticosa in the middle.

Thumbnail by weed_woman

diggerette
Brooklyn, NY
(Zone 7a)

January 19, 2008
12:49 PM

Post #4423893

Morning Everyone!

Weed-Woman, Your rose arrangement is beautiful! Nice touch bending the leaves over. You have such pretty plants in your yard. They must bring you great pleasure.

Terri, I can't wait to see your flower school bus and natural container. I'm sure they will be beauties. It's hard for me to have patience. Maybe working on my zen garden and bud vase arrangement will calm me down.

Does anybody have viagra to spare? I'm going flower shopping today. :) Edited for grammar.

This message was edited Jan 19, 2008 8:47 AM
diggerette
Brooklyn, NY
(Zone 7a)

January 19, 2008
1:19 PM

Post #4423938

I thought this was very funny. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPXU6No2Fgg
starlight1153
Seale, AL
(Zone 8b)

January 19, 2008
1:44 PM

Post #4424005

I like em.. I like em all!!!!!!!! : ) Boy I want some fresh flowers bad. Maybe next week I will be able to get to store. we getting snow for first time in about 12 years and fools here don't know how to drive on it, so it best to stay of f the road and out of their way.

I hope spring comes early, I bought alot of seed sfor cut flowers and ordere dsome Dahlia seed of different sizes and tubers to cut, a slew of glads, which I hoping now wil bloom this year and some baby's breath for filler, if I can get it to grow.

One good thing is I taking back over a project that wa smy orginal idea and then it was handed to a grad student that now gone, so I wil have some fresh gerbera daisies to play with every week.

I went out looking aroudn the yard yesterday to even se e if I could find some sort of foliage toplay with, but everything dead and crusty crunchy.

If it doesn't get to bad sometime over the weekend I may try and drive to wal mart and se eif they stil have any baby carnations left and try them in the bud vase.

I do know this I love seeing evrybody's arrangements, makes a highlight in the busy day and I love seeing all the different arrangements and inetrpertations of a theme from all the differnt locations.

Pupil... becareful and stay of f the roads the next couple days if ya can. Think you supposed to get 6-8" of snow and us 1-3.

diggerette
Brooklyn, NY
(Zone 7a)

January 19, 2008
1:54 PM

Post #4424035

Hi Star, I know what you mean. I can't wait to see my plants again.

This video shows how to make a french spiral bouquet. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGoOxJoYloY
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

January 19, 2008
2:26 PM

Post #4424126

Hi everyone!

Sue, it sounds like your sale went well. Thanks for the plant list. Your roses are gorgeous! Do you have a shop near you that sells oasis? I imagine you miles from anywhere in the outback!!!!!!!!! Beautiful Aachmea, especially because it was a gift from your daughter. Love your sunny garden, please send some rays my way!

Trac, the lily should have something removed! I prefer them with their clothes on and not striped naked!!!!
Adele, that guy was chillaxed alright! Thanks for the links. Sorry no viagra here!!!!!!!!
Star, great news about the gerberas, stay warm!

Due to mechanical failure the flower school bus will be arriving late today!
On the menu today ...
Pineapple tower.

starlight1153
Seale, AL
(Zone 8b)

January 19, 2008
3:28 PM

Post #4424410

Oh my!!! let me get my pix and ax and climb that beauty. LOL

How cute and orginal. : ) ya did a bad thign though. I had managed toget me another banana and now since I can't nibbleonyours I gotta eat my project, yet again. ; )

terri is that one whole pineapple plant or several pineapples put together? The only part I don't understand why you did, and not to critcize, but to learn, why did ya put the thre e stems there in the front? What should I be seeign that I am missing? ( scratches head in curiosity)
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

January 19, 2008
3:32 PM

Post #4424444

Sorry about the delay with the bus.

The good news is, while we are waiting, our stylist Katie has been busy giving you all a makeover! You won't recognise yourselves with your fancy hair doo's!
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

January 19, 2008
3:37 PM

Post #4424470

Hi Star,
I dunno really! I just thought they would help it look more like a tower with pillars or something!!!!!!
edited to say, it is 2 pineapples and I ornamental pineapple.

This message was edited Jan 19, 2008 4:42 PM
weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

January 20, 2008
7:55 AM

Post #4427941

Hi gals, loved the links. The lisping lady made the rose spiral look easy! I can't wait to have a go at it. And how cute was the guy at the end doing the little blinks, I'd kiss him!
Thanks for all the kind words everyone. You're all very motivating.
I'm not quite in the outback TC. I'm on the East coast of Australia at the northern end of N.S.W and about 15 kilometres (10-15 minutes) from the centre of Coffs Harbour. We have a supermarket, florist, pub, chemist, Butcher, two cafes, (excellent coffee) junk shop (everything made in china), clothing shop all within a five minute drive, and a number of beaches in all directions about five minutes, and the bush/rainforest about 20 minutes drive inland.
I can get oasis in town for $2 for a 20x10x10cm block. So thats what I'll do.
DH is cooking dinner, so I'm off to observe discreetly from a distance. Love those pink pineapples TC.
Sue
pic is plant sale

Thumbnail by weed_woman

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

January 20, 2008
11:47 AM

Post #4428037

Hi Sue.
How often do you have plant sales? your stall looks great, is that the new shade house you built?
Is sounds like you live in a great place, lovely hot weather, tropical plants and a florists nearby!!! even a junk shop for your vases!
Have a lovely day everyone.
weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

January 21, 2008
6:49 AM

Post #4431851

Hi Tc, I'm doing the sale once a month on the third saturday. That is the old/new shade house which I have cleaned out and only have "for sale" plants in now. The new one is still just a frame as it has been too wet to do any earth works. It will be part propagation house and grow house.
It is a nice place we live in! Quite frankly I think its paradise! The only thing wrong with it is that I have to work for a living.LOL.
I'm having a nice little drink called Midori, Paradiso ( Midori, lychee and cranberry) very yummy. I'd share with you all but there is only one left. Is the cafe licensed TC?
I wonder if I can con DH into cooking the dinner again? He did a lovely job last night. We had baked, crumbed fish (from frozen) and steamed choko, carrot and brocolli on top of 2 minute noodles and drizzled with cheese sauce (instant) Yummmmmm! And all the better because I didn't have to cook it! He also did the dishes! Do you think he wants something!
Anyway ladies, enjoy your trip to TC's cafe and I'll see you tomorrow.
Sue
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

January 21, 2008
5:30 PM

Post #4433224

Hi Sue,
Lucky you! it sounds as though you enjoyed your dinner. What is choko? I don't think I've heard of it.
My DH will cook occasionally, he uses every pan and work surface in the kitchen, and leaves the mess behind. It's easier to do it myself! The cafe is licensed, bring in your drinks or cocktails to share anytime!
Having looked at our intended flower school bus again, it has Bratz written on the side, I thought I'd better not use it.
I don't want to upset anyone!
Will you be making a Zen arrangement for the flower club this week? I have no idea what to do yet, it will be difficult and a challenge.
It has been raining all day here, I got soaked on the way home from work, but I did manage to buy a couple of polyanthus!
starlight1153
Seale, AL
(Zone 8b)

January 21, 2008
6:47 PM

Post #4433578

Lve the plant sale pic. Makes ya itch for spring even more and being able to get out and breat some nice crisp frehs air. Thinking I need to go to Australia in the winters , here in the cool spring and then pop over Terri's way for a nice relaxing and not to hot of summer.

Really dumb question here, but what is a Zen arrangement. I think I missed somethign somewhere ?
pupilpropogtr
Birmingham, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 22, 2008
6:17 PM

Post #4438858

Hi everyone. Dropping in for a quick cuppa and then I have Teensy for the rest of the week. You all have a good one and I will try to check in.
karmaplace
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 8b)

January 22, 2008
9:40 PM

Post #4439569

Star, I requested Zen for this week's flower club theme. I should have said asian influenced design, which leaves more room for interpretation. Does that help? Sue made one that is gorgeous. Her set up followed that theme as well. http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=4437331
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

January 22, 2008
11:58 PM

Post #4440145

Hi everyone,
Hope you are all keeping warm and cosy.
Have a great week with teensy Traci.
Star, Thanks to Karmaplace we have a link to the flower club, Hope to see you there!

I intend to go flower shopping in my lunchbreak tomorrow, this cafe needs some fresh flowers!!!!!!!!

karmaplace
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 8b)

January 23, 2008
1:26 AM

Post #4440572

Fresh flowers for the cafe, Terri. Just bringing back the daffodil tea special.

Thumbnail by karmaplace

diggerette
Brooklyn, NY
(Zone 7a)

January 23, 2008
2:14 AM

Post #4440824

Oh, thank you, I was in the mood for some daffodil tea. How pretty!
weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

January 23, 2008
5:22 AM

Post #4441667

Hey Karma, that works really well too!
Terri, Choko is a vine that grows all over the chookyard and produces a pear shaped light green Fruit/vege. It doesn't have much taste, but can be added to apples when stewing and will absorb the flavour. It is the same consistency when stewed, when steamed it is more like Zuchinni, and you can bake it too. Apparently you can stem it and serve it in Pear juice, and no one will be any the wiser! LOL Did you get your flowers?
This is another bunch with the left overs from my raid in the garden.
Cosmos, blown down by the wind, Centaurea (Grey leaves) Coleus, (burgundy leaves), Vervain? Yellow daisies (?) and more burgundy leaves from Alternanthera. And White flowering chives

This message was edited Jan 23, 2008 4:22 PM

Thumbnail by weed_woman

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

January 23, 2008
10:56 PM

Post #4444366

Hello everyone,
Lovely fresh arrangements! Thankyou, it makes the visit to the cafe exciting and it smells lovely in here!
Does anyone grow the chocolate cosmos? it realy smells of chocolate!
Have a good day tomorrow, I'm going flower shopping! didn't have time today.
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

January 25, 2008
12:49 AM

Post #4449486

Hi everyone,

Karma, love the way you made the teapot shape!
Sue, thanks for explaining choko! Cosmos is a great flower and easy to grow, funny seeing them from your garden at this time of year! You've got a lovely selection of foliage there.

Here's a little red vase with red sweetheart roses, bear grass loops and gold wire.

weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

January 25, 2008
10:21 AM

Post #4451341

Very nice Terri. I wonder if there is bear grass over here? I noticed the florist in town has closed down. I wonder why?
I pruned a tree for a lady today and she called it "Mt Morgan wattle". I havent googled it yet, but I thought it looked like "Argyle Apple" which is the florists Eucalypt, so I've got a sink full of it. It looks as though it might be about to flower, so I left some branches on as I am going back over the next 2 weeks to garden. I bought 3 oasis blocks today and saw many nice vases and vessels, but resisted the urge. (pat myself on the back)
I'm not sure what to do as it is pouring rain since this afternoon (feel webs growing between my toes) so I don't have any material to put with it. I might just put it in a vase on its own anyway. We'll see how long it lasts. Both previous arrangements have survived well, and I have refreshed the water each day.
I am off camping, (rain, hail, or shine) tomorrow as it is a long weekend over here, with australians celebrating "Australia day" on Monday. Traditionally lots of BBq's and drinking at the beach, camping e.t.c. Being so wet, it will make things interesting. So don't despair if I'm not around. Have a coffee without me and I hope to see lots of nice interesting arrangements when I get back.
Sue

Thumbnail by weed_woman

diggerette
Brooklyn, NY
(Zone 7a)

January 25, 2008
10:47 AM

Post #4451353

Hi Sue, Have fun camping!
weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

January 25, 2008
10:53 AM

Post #4451361

Hi Adele. I got you some stencils today, but I want to write you a letter and put some pickies in it first, but won't get to it till next week, but I haven't forgotten you!
Sue
diggerette
Brooklyn, NY
(Zone 7a)

January 25, 2008
11:21 AM

Post #4451387

You're the best. Thank you so much!
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

January 25, 2008
3:30 PM

Post #4452092

Hi Sue, have a great weekend camping whatever the weather! I don't know abour bear grass in Australia, but you can use phornium leaves and shred them into ribbons, and use like bear grass.

Hi everyone!
The sun is shinning here today, which makes a nice change. Hope you all have a lovely weekend!
I'll be back in a while with some fresh tea and coffee... yippy I got new tea and coffee pots!!
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

January 25, 2008
6:00 PM

Post #4452773

Rose tea for the evening crowd.

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

January 25, 2008
6:07 PM

Post #4452799

Roses and Chrysanths coffee pot.

karmaplace
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 8b)

January 25, 2008
11:06 PM

Post #4453976

Thanks for the lovely tea terri!

Sue, I really envy you for all the flowers and foliage (that Centaurea would have been great for a winter wedding) that you have in your garden. I want to have my own house soooooooo bad.

Really great news today. . .I have a wedding job in April! I'm so excited to do a spring wedding. Color is ocean blue. . .I see light blue hydrangeas so far. . .but trying to think of complimentary colors. Any ideas anyone?
diggerette
Brooklyn, NY
(Zone 7a)

January 25, 2008
11:36 PM

Post #4454064

Congratulations Karma! I'm sure you'll do a beautiful job.
starlight1153
Seale, AL
(Zone 8b)

January 25, 2008
11:54 PM

Post #4454116

That great news Karma!!!!!! I sure it gonna be beautiful. Says alot about your talent. That th eone thing brides really have to put alot of trust in is their florist. Them and them flowers are all on display for all the friends and family to see and preserved forver in photographs.

Love the tea pots, but having a hard time finding a coffee refill. I was kicking myself this morning. I had cut some gernres to try and play with and with all the junk in my car I had forgotten to bring them in last night. When I went out this morning, they was fozen solid like a brick. Ice gerbers. I put them in water and left for school and when I got home, I went to look fo rthem to play with and yuck what a mess. when they was fozen solid they was still pretty and looked fresh picked. when they thawed they rotted and turned brown. I had a mice musy mess to clean up.
karmaplace
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 8b)

January 26, 2008
2:19 AM

Post #4454718

Thanks Adele! Thanks Star! I have a friend who sends all her family to me. My first spring wedding!

Sorry to hear about your gerbers Star. It's rainy and cold down here. . .not sure how cold it's gonna be tomorrow, but I sure don't envy your weather right now.
pupilpropogtr
Birmingham, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 26, 2008
4:07 AM

Post #4455207

Terry, Hip Hip Hooray!! I am so happy for you on the new tea pots!! I also love the rose bowl.

Star, Ice Gerbers, lol. Great play on words. Sorry for the loss.

Karma, I know you are on cloud nine. Congrats!! You will do fantastic. When are you going to get that license?? I definitely see some type of "bell shaped flowers". Of course, I don't know the names of any. lol. Little white bells. Also, I love ranculous? and it comes in so many colors. I actually just bought some from HD. Now just to have a yard to put them in.
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

January 26, 2008
1:22 PM

Post #4455874

Good morning everyone!
Hey Karma, that is great news! I'll have a look in my wedding mags and see if there is anything suitable with your colours in mind.
Sorry to hear about the gerberas Star, never mind! coffee refill on it's way!
Hi Traci, nice to see you, We missed you last week!
The sun is shinning again,2 days in a row, so I'm going to venture out into the garden to see whats happening!

diggerette
Brooklyn, NY
(Zone 7a)

January 26, 2008
4:10 PM

Post #4456479

Good Morning All,
Hi Terri, Such beautiful bouquet of daffodils and congratulations on getting new teapots. I see you're using them well.
diggerette
Brooklyn, NY
(Zone 7a)

January 26, 2008
4:50 PM

Post #4456648

Hi All,
I thought maybe the cafe could use a little wreath to welcome people as they come in to visit.

Thumbnail by diggerette

diggerette
Brooklyn, NY
(Zone 7a)

January 26, 2008
6:39 PM

Post #4457131

Here's an improved wreath for the cafe. My friend, Jen, came over and gave me a few floral arranging tips.

Thumbnail by diggerette

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

January 26, 2008
8:05 PM

Post #4457410

Oh Lovely! Adele, it's a beautiful welcome wreath. We do look after the place don't we?!!!
It is so elegant! lovely colour scheme and the ribbon is a pretty finishing touch. Thankyou so much!!
Thanks to Jen too.
I love nice suprises like this.!

I'll be back later to show you something I found in the garden today.

Fresh tea anyone?

diggerette
Brooklyn, NY
(Zone 7a)

January 26, 2008
8:24 PM

Post #4457473

Thank you so much, Terri. I thought you might get a kick out of it.
I would love some of your beautiful tea!
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

January 26, 2008
10:12 PM

Post #4457813

Thanks Adele, glad you enjoyed it
Look I found snowdrops!!!! maybe the garden is starting to wake up a little bit.

some white bells for you Traci!.

starlight1153
Seale, AL
(Zone 8b)

January 26, 2008
11:01 PM

Post #4458004

Wow.. The Cafe has fresh coffee and lots of beautiful new arrangements. What a beautiful sight to see.

Terri! Love the daffodils. I do so enjoy seeing them. Stil have a couple of months before my few ones wake up. Ah so springy in here.

Doigger. Love your wreath. Very elegant and welcoming. Would look lovely hanging here. ; ) LOL Your gettign better and better. : )

How precious. Little snowbells! : ) What a welcome sight to see. : )

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

January 27, 2008
12:58 AM

Post #4458490

Hi Star, Thankyou!
I was so suprised to see the snowdrops so early. Quite a few things were starting to emerge!.
Isn't our wreath just so welcoming! good idea to put it there Star, shows it off really well!

Entertaining us in the cafe this evening with songs from ...

The Turnip sisters

Melissa_Ohio
Southwestern, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 27, 2008
5:38 AM

Post #4459374

Pupil, you have dmail.

diggerette
Brooklyn, NY
(Zone 7a)

January 27, 2008
12:47 PM

Post #4459720

The turnip sisters were wonderful and so cute. Maybe they can come back next week.
starlight1153
Seale, AL
(Zone 8b)

January 27, 2008
1:20 PM

Post #4459789

LOL... Sitting here chocking on my coffee when I got a look at the Turnip sisters. Hahahahah that so funny. : )
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

January 27, 2008
5:40 PM

Post #4460607

Hi Adele and Star,
Hey, I'm so pleased the Turnip sisters went down well last night. They are busy on tour and we were lucky to have them here in our cafe!!!

This cafe is a mess today, better get on with the tidying up...
I found some handbags in the ladies room. Please contact lost property if you forgot your bag last night!!

Thyme, Anemone, Daffs.

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

January 27, 2008
9:41 PM

Post #4461563

Oh, I wasn't saying you two made any mess, it was the lurkers!!!
Handbags have not been collected yet!

Hope Sue is having a fine time camping!

Fresh coffee.

starlight1153
Seale, AL
(Zone 8b)

January 27, 2008
10:43 PM

Post #4461802

Oh that sure is pretty!!!!!!!!!! : ) Ya know your all so bad with yoru arrangements, cuz I se e them then I want to grow the flowers so I cna make the same ones.

I gonan ask a stuipd question here. Are those mums or Dahlias in the tea pot. Did they come with the prupel tiny on them or did you do that?

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

January 28, 2008
1:12 AM

Post #4462390

Hi Star, Thankyou, if it helps to get ideas then thats good! I'm just enjoying myself here.
The white flowers are Chrysanths and they came like that with a purple spray on them. They do look like Dahlias though!

Karma, I know purple means sadness in your culture, but honestly, I'm not sad today!!

weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

January 28, 2008
3:48 AM

Post #4463252

I'm back! Wonderful arrangements all and glad your garden is waking up Terri! Your wreath is lovely too Adele. The roses are incredible!
Camping was good. Lovely weather, (a bit of patchy rain on the first day) great scenery, great river and beach, ate lots, drank wayyyyyy too much and had some good conversations with our fellow campers.
I had some withdrawals though, and there was nothing much horticultural about except for identifying weeds!
Anyway, I'm home now and have found all my previous arrangements have survived even though we have rather high summer temps!
I'm off to check out my garden and make sure its o.k. (nice to see I had my priorities right after cheking up on you lot first)
I'll drop in for a longer coffee later on.
Sue
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

January 28, 2008
9:14 AM

Post #4463904

Good morning Sue,
Glad to hear you had a fun weekend, nice to have you back though!!
Have a good day everyone.
diggerette
Brooklyn, NY
(Zone 7a)

January 28, 2008
11:17 AM

Post #4463945

Good morning all,
Sue,Glad to hear you had a fun. I can't wait to go camping again.I'm glad you like the wreath,thank you. Too bad you missed the turnip sisters performing their little hearts out.
Terri, I love the purple and white combination. The combination is striking and beautiful.
starlight1153
Seale, AL
(Zone 8b)

January 28, 2008
2:22 PM

Post #4464296

I didn't know that about purple, cuz purple one of my favorite colors , but i learne d that purple is a sign of intellegence , and royalty.

Welcome home and glad you enjoyed your trip. Fun and sun sure sounds good about now.
pupilpropogtr
Birmingham, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 29, 2008
2:55 AM

Post #4467571

Wow, I go away for a bit and everyone get chatty. Do I bring the cafe' down? :^)

Dig, dig the wreath!!

The turnip sisters are fantastic. Please try to book them again soon.

Terri, your arrangements are amazing. What is the purple flower with the daffs?

Weed, well at least you got to identify weeds lol.

I have not even had time to read the next lesson yet. I passed the first test with flying colors (it was history of flowers and floral jobs. Just had to memorize). I will get to the next lesson this week. I REALLY need some quality flower time. Starting work is for the birds. I need to play with flowers!!
diggerette
Brooklyn, NY
(Zone 7a)

January 29, 2008
12:17 PM

Post #4468474

Pupil, Thank you,
I say the revolution should begin now.No more work only Flower Power!!! :)
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

January 29, 2008
4:08 PM

Post #4469182

Good afternoon everyone!
Sorry, I was too cream crackered (knackered) to call in last night! Mondays are hectic for me this term at work!

Sue, I guess you are busy catching up with gardening work, it's the price you pay for gallivanting away on camping trips!!!! the weeds don't stop growing. Hope you had a great time, and your coffee is here whenever you are!

Thankyou Adele! yeah... FLOWER POWER!!!

Star, They seem to use purple alot for funerals !! Anyway, I like purple!!!!!

Traci, Traci, dear friend, how could you possibly bring the cafe' down? We love you calling in and wish you would more often dear! The purple flower is Anemone. I knew it was you lurking on saturday night when the turnips sisters were here! You left your handbag in the ladies room.
I also have 2 more bags in lost property, no-one has claimed them yet.

Anyone seen Karma? It's her turn to nominate at the flower club! otherwise you'll have to put up with another one of my themes!!! so hurry up girlie!! (miss you)! How's Peyton? I have a special Winnie the pooh cup for him when you bring him to the cafe next.

Traci,... your bag!

weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

January 30, 2008
12:39 AM

Post #4471370

Hi Terri, Adele, Star and Pupil. Yes, tired and weary from work. Just home for a shower and an anti-histamine as some creepy crawley got me and I'm out in hives and scratching like a mongrel dog!
Will try to find a little something delightful to bring in for afternoon tea. Very hot here and humid (rained this morning) Lots of spiders and bugs, also saw python yesterday. I'm feeling a bit warey about gardening right now!
Just don't call me a red neck!
Sue

Thumbnail by weed_woman

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

January 30, 2008
12:55 AM

Post #4471426

OOCH, that looks really angry. Poor Sue, what we gonna do with ya?!! living amonst all the creepy crawlies and snakes!!
Something delightful for tea? that sounds brilliant, can't wait.
Bed time for me, so I'll see you tomorrow,
hope you manage to have a comfortable night,and it gets better soon.

weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

January 30, 2008
1:20 AM

Post #4471524

Thanks Tezza.
pupilpropogtr
Birmingham, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 30, 2008
4:42 AM

Post #4472301

I love the purple tulips. Please use those throughout all designs now, Terri. And brown sugar!!

Oh Crikey, Sue. I hate that for you. I would say that is the down side of the Tropics, but here in Alabama, home of the true Red Necks, we have our fair share. Black widows, brown recluses, cotton mouths, and water moccasins. Throw in a scorpion every once in a while just in case you start to get to comfy with the others. Hope you feel better soon. Soak in a nice oatmeal bath.

Well, it has been quite eventful this evening. I was entering the very last number on a spreadsheet and the transformer outside blew. It was like a UFO was out there. Yep, lost the spreadsheet, 2 hours work. But worse, I had put all my plants outside to play in the rain. Forgot about the babes and let them brave the unbelieveable winds.

I realized what I did and ran down to put them back in their warm basement/greenhouse, or so I thought. Me, a woman who has worked in construction since the day she was born, cannot find the ONE breaker that is tripped, which incidently goes to the garage. The doors won't close and the heater won't work. So, the "former office" of the former had recently been cleaned out and turned into a coleus room. Now it is a jungle and I have only brought 3 boxes up. Only 6 or 10 more to go. It is suppose to get below freezing so I can't let them suffer anymore down there. If you can't find me, one of the copperheads slithered out of the forest I am in and got me.

I am soooo tired.

Well, got that off my chest. Later guys and dolls
starlight1153
Seale, AL
(Zone 8b)

January 30, 2008
12:41 PM

Post #4472753

Morning everybody!

Well heck, you will fit right in with us rednecks down here. LOL I feel for ya. I got sevral bite son my neck from who knows what the other day out rakign leaves. drive sme crazy cuz i gotta scatch until they bleed, then i gotta scratch the scabs and then come summer I have little white spots from the scars that don't tan.

I was racing the other night too, tryign to get babies in that I had put out to try and get a bit of real sunshine and a sprinkle of rain. Was having a real tiem of it cuz a place wher ei had a slew of big pots of floweers growing, I had to move out of there and now they throwed on pallets with a plastic tent over them , so hope they make it. Was 19F yesterday orning and when it warms up a tad tofay gotta go check them. Almost afraid of what I gonan find. Probably a bunch of mush.

I been sittign in this almanac book tryign to figure out if the worst is over. That the bad thing about living here in the south, alot fo things don't go totally dormant and so they more at risk for being croaked off. We actually don't get a break from tending flowers like snow countries do. They go to sleep in the snow and ya forget about til spring. here it cover, ucover, cover, ucover and cry when ya forget a bunch.

Congrats on your test Pupil. Wanna come take a couple for me?

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

January 30, 2008
7:14 PM

Post #4474327

Who's Tezza?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! cheeky! how's the ichyitus today?

Chillax Traci, slow down honey!!

Hi Star, don't scratch! no good telling you though, you're still gonna do it!
Football tonight...(stop yawning Sue)!
Anyone seen Karma yet?

I'll call in later to give the football scores, ok Sue?!!

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

January 30, 2008
7:25 PM

Post #4474367

I just saw Traci, with the most delicious looking chocolate dessert, hope she brings some over here for us!
pupilpropogtr
Birmingham, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 30, 2008
7:44 PM

Post #4474444

Hint, Hint, Terri.

Star, the Almanac says we are in for some more in Feb, but warming sooner in March than usual. Hope it is right.

Will these work?

diggerette
Brooklyn, NY
(Zone 7a)

January 30, 2008
9:40 PM

Post #4474947

Sue, I hope you're feeling better. That rash looks angry.

Thanks for the desserts. I'm in the mood for some sweets.

Pupil, I think you can turn your story into a lifetime movie.:) I hope all your plants are well

Hi Star and Karma
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

January 30, 2008
10:32 PM

Post #4475152

I hate football.

I'm going to make something with my flowers to cheer myself up, after I've eaten all the cakes, thanks Traci.
Hi Adele.
weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

January 30, 2008
11:18 PM

Post #4475337

So the scores weren't that good huh Terri? (munch munch, eating fairy cakes)
Hi all, and thanks for the well wishes. All good now, just a little raw from scratching, but no broken skin (lucky me, no scabs to pick) LOL. One of my customers is so sick of the bities that she wears a burka on her head, tucked into a lycra body suit. Then has garden clothes over that. She looks halarious! That'd get too hot for me and I'd end up with heat stroke knowing my luck!
Adele, I have plans to write a letter tonight and get it in the post, but I will let you know when I send. If anyone else would like a letter, D-mail me with your address. It's so rare to get a letter in the post theses days!
Ohhh, pupil, are they profiteroles? Mmmmm, I'm a bit partial to chocolate. It's just what I needed to pick me up. Although I just had Terri's fairy cakes, but I'm sure I can squeeze in just one more delectable treat!
Hey Star, I can't believe you go to so much trouble, only because I don't have the same conditions. If I did, I'd probly be the same, but I'm glad I don't and don't have to. I am very lucky here in the sub-tropics, and only have to protect plants from fungal attack and bugs! ( *bl*%#y F^@#$n bugs*)
The only bugs I like are bees and butterflies, oh and assasin bugs, and worms, oh oh and dragon flies, and lady bugs...
Sue

Thumbnail by weed_woman

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

January 30, 2008
11:38 PM

Post #4475435

Sue, that's gorgeous! Love the addition of the butterfly with the budliea.(good idea)!
What are the tiny white flowers? like the shape and the colours are lovely and fresh.
Thankyou for cheering me up!

P.S. I want a letter! please.
weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

January 30, 2008
11:50 PM

Post #4475481

Ho, Ho! Tezza wants a letter! Dmail me your address and I'll write one.
The white flowers are off my chives/onions. They last for ages, even without water!
I'd better go back to work. I cant get motivated in this heat, to go mow lawns! Its 29C out, but the humidity is the stinker!
I'll be back tonight. (8 hours or so)
Sue
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

January 31, 2008
2:18 AM

Post #4476227

Thanks Sue, oh and please make sure you put a pretty flower stamp on it!!!

My chive flowers are purple, I like the white ones, very pretty. I think I'll grow some and put them under my roses this year. Is it an old wives tale that they keep the greenfly away? or fact?
weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

January 31, 2008
9:22 AM

Post #4477375

Not sure Terry, but I think you have to cut or crush them now'n'then as its the stink that repels the bugs! So cutting the flowers off is a good thing, and at least they won't seed everywhere. I have the purple ones too, are they garlic chives?
Yes your letter has pretty flower stamps for goodness sake! If I could stick an arrangement in it I would, but you KNOW thats not possible, so don't ask! Sheesh! Its hard to please some people.
Sue
diggerette
Brooklyn, NY
(Zone 7a)

January 31, 2008
12:04 PM

Post #4477473

Good Morning Everyone!
Sue,Glad to hear you're feeling better. The only bugs I hate are the water bugs that think they can live in my apartment. They flip me out with their extra long antennae and ugh, I can't even write about them.
It's so nice to see fresh pretty flowers from your garden. They cheer me up before going to work.
I saw an interesting show last night about all the different types of parrots that live in Australia. Brooklyn also has parrots called monk parrots. They were released by accident in the 70's and have been thriving here ever since.

Hi Terri, What art project are you going to do today?
pupilpropogtr
Birmingham, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 31, 2008
3:28 PM

Post #4478131

Dropping by before running out the door. I LOVE THE ARRANGEMENT, Weed!

I love writing and getting letters as well!! I will D-mail my address later tonight.

Sorry so short,
Traci
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

January 31, 2008
6:30 PM

Post #4478969

Hi everyone!

Sue, I thought the purple ones were just ordinary chives!

Hi Adele,
Art project today, well I'm working on ' The Colour Wheel'. (great for flower arrangers) it really helps with colour combinations.

Painting a colour wheel.

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

January 31, 2008
6:44 PM

Post #4479008

Primary colours, Red ,Yellow, blue, cannot be made by mixing any colours together.

Secondary colours, Violet, green, orange, These colours are made by mixing primary colours

Tertiary colours, Red&violet , blue&violet, blue&green,yellow&green, yellow&orange, red&orange. These colours are made by mixing primary and secondary.

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

January 31, 2008
6:50 PM

Post #4479024

Colour wheel collage, layering transparent coloured papers. Framed with white feathers.

This collage can be made using fabrics, paints, cut out pictures from magazines, tissue papers or any other junk collected!

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

January 31, 2008
6:55 PM

Post #4479032

Moving on to creating a low relief collage, using only 2 complementary colours, in this case red and green.

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

January 31, 2008
7:01 PM

Post #4479051

Complementary colours are opposite each other on the colour wheel.

Art lesson over!!!!!

diggerette
Brooklyn, NY
(Zone 7a)

January 31, 2008
11:18 PM

Post #4479931

I love the projects and I love how you did them!! I'm going to do the color wheel and the complimentary colors collage with my students. Thanks for the ideas!!
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

February 1, 2008
12:58 AM

Post #4480336

Hi Adele, glad to be of help!

Evening everyone!
Hope everyone is ok and you've all had a good day.

Karma sends her hello's from her sick bed. Get well soon Karma!

I'm bringing in some tulips I got from Belle's last night, lovely condition! I can recommend our own florist shop on cut flowers. Belle's .

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

February 1, 2008
1:03 AM

Post #4480361

windy tulips

pupilpropogtr
Birmingham, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 1, 2008
3:36 AM

Post #4480988

I LOVE LOVE LOVE the tulips!! Fantastic manipulation. I have been staring at them for ten minutes. BRAVO!!

Your flower art is wonder full. I have a color wheel computer program. I use to use a handheld, but the floral class provided one on the computer. It is great. You can pick the color, manipulate it to exactly what you want and then it will give you the complimentry, monocromatic and triads that go with it. Pretty nifty.

Karma, thinking about you dear. Hate you are sick and little Peyton too. Sending you virtual chicken soup.
weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

February 1, 2008
4:34 AM

Post #4481209

hello all. Thanks for the kudos on my arrangement.
Terry, tulips are one of those flowers that are very hard to come by here, as they are grown in the far south. In spring we can get pots of them, but at an exhorbitant price!
Its stinking hot again, so I finished work early and went to the local Orchid and Bromeliad house. *bad sue, bad, no, no, no...* and bought 2 Bromeliads for my collection. They had 20% off so it only cost me $21 all up. It's a a bargain, as I have done my homework and know how much the particular broms I chose normally sell for! They are in the garage and I will be taking them up to the bromeliad garden shortly. i will get a pic and post it later.
Get well Karma and little man. No one likes being sick and we all know how yukky you must be feeling! Plenty of rest and drink lots of water.
Hey pupil, no dmail from you yet. Do you want a letter or what?
Nice colour wheel terry. I hadn't thought of it that way. I just pick a bunch of stuff, hold it in one hand and if it doesn't look nice, I put it aside for the next arrangement. But we all know I'm super dooper lucky, because i have so much material. I wish I could send you all some.
See you tonight
Sue
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

February 2, 2008
12:13 AM

Post #4483989

Hi everyone!

Thanks Traci!
There seems to be an abundance of tulips in the shops at the moment.

Hi Sue,
Have you tried growing tulips? I'd love to see your new Bromeliads. I can't resist a bargain myself!!
Lets see, this week these items followed me home from the shops!
3 poyanthus, 1 Hyacinth, 1 winter cherry, tulips, daffs, oh and a couple of vases!

Roses and Rosemary, get well soon karma!

weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

February 2, 2008
9:36 AM

Post #4485475

my new Brom Neoregelia "Predator"

Thumbnail by weed_woman

weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

February 2, 2008
9:38 AM

Post #4485476

and Vriesia "Heiroglyphica"

Thumbnail by weed_woman

weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

February 2, 2008
9:39 AM

Post #4485477

That second one will grow quite large eventually and get a big sword shaped flower.
These are most of my potted Bromeliads, although I do have a couple of pots scattered around, and a smattering planted out in the garden.

Thumbnail by weed_woman

weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

February 2, 2008
10:07 AM

Post #4485484

Here, it is rain, rain, rain. Did some sleeping, eating, more sleeping, more eating, and then for a drive in the bush, and out in the country to look at houses and gardens (in the rain) then mor eating *burp*
Sorry terry, I forgot to get back to you about the arrangement. It had variegated shell ginger leaves, Salvia "Bonfire" flowers, Coleus "Frogs foot" leaves and some yellow Grevillea flowers. It was very hard to arrange them, as the opening in the watering can was one sided and everything kept leaning. I put Oasis in, but it was still quite a trick! I think the grevillea flowers will have passed by now, although I did the boiling water trick. If it still looks half decent tomorrow I'll get a close up. Unfortunately, I think it will be too wet to gather any material for anything over the next few days, but as soon as I can, I will bring in another table topper for the Cafe. I hope everyone is healthy and happy,
Sue

Thumbnail by weed_woman

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

February 2, 2008
5:07 PM

Post #4486471

Hi everyone,
Thanks Sue, great selection. You have made a great job with the pathways for our cafe garden, wanna be our resident gardener?!!

Back later after the football.
I'm looking for a couple of volunteers to help with some small table arrangements and candles for tonights entertainment at the cafe!

Edited to say ...Please!

This message was edited Feb 2, 2008 8:24 PM
weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

February 3, 2008
12:12 AM

Post #4487969

Well its still raining here terry and everything is looking like a wet rag. Maybe a neoregelia (bromeliad) flower will do as a table piece?
We had another 108mm overnight and it still hasn't stopped! Have you got a bucket for my umbrella and a place to leave my wet boots?
Sue

Thumbnail by weed_woman

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

February 3, 2008
1:22 AM

Post #4488222

Hi Sue,
Thankyou, that's a lovely one for a table centre.
I have a place to put your boots, over here next to my wellies!

weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

February 3, 2008
9:13 AM

Post #4489347

oh I wish I had thought of that. Another 80mm of rain at 2pm this arfternoon. The whole neighbourhood was out inspecting the floods, as the creeks and dams all burst their banks. Alot of mulch has gone down the drain! I've done a quick check but will have to have a proper look tomorrow. It's still raining and predictions are for another week! No mowing tomorrow. I've got no flowers left in the garden I'm afraid, but plenty of foliage. may get something made tomorrow.
Soggy Sue
PS, garden at side fence

Thumbnail by weed_woman

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

February 3, 2008
4:41 PM

Post #4490254

Hi Sue,
You are going to be busy with the clean up operation. I'm so sorry for you, with all the hard work you have put into laying all the mulch and to see it all washed away must be awful.
Shame about the flowers! Hope you manage to stay dry!
weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

February 3, 2008
8:01 PM

Post #4490928

Oh well Terry, it's been quite exciting really, and any excuse to be in the garden is welcome! Its only water.
Today, because its still raining, I'm going to tackle some much needed housework!
Wheres everyone else gone? Must be a holiday wekend in America or something!
Are you keeping warm terry? No letter yet?
Sue
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

February 3, 2008
9:09 PM

Post #4491125

Everyday I run down the stairs to check if the postman has been, nothing from Australia yet!!!
It has turned really cold, it's been nice staying in by the fire this weekend.! Apart from that, just catching up with housework and other boring chores!
Don't know where everyone is either! I heard from Karma, who is still suffering with sickness and can't seem to shake it off.
I'm just watching a gardening programme with Monty Don, who is touring in Australia! Lovely to see your plants on T.V. We are in Alice Springs desert park at the moment! The red sand is amaising, it's incredible what will grow in such harsh conditions.

diggerette
Brooklyn, NY
(Zone 7a)

February 3, 2008
10:44 PM

Post #4491478

Hi Everyone, I'm getting over the flu. Be back soon.
weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

February 3, 2008
10:53 PM

Post #4491508

oh, so its not the holiday season, but the flu season! Get well soon DG and Karma, and keep it too youselves!
Sue
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

February 3, 2008
11:16 PM

Post #4491620

oh dear, another sickie! sorry to hear that Adele, hope you feel better soon.

starlight1153
Seale, AL
(Zone 8b)

February 3, 2008
11:29 PM

Post #4491669

Wish it was a holiday. Most of us are fightening a ne strain of flu. All this yo0yo weather has everybody coming down sick with the flu, sinus headaches and drippy noses.

We had a nice warm day here. felt good to get outside for a few and breath some frehs air and ty and unplug the sinuses and catch a few sun rays to boot.

We get a fe more days of warmth and might have a flower or two to bloom then it back to the cold again.

Hahahahah love the pics and the wellies. : )

weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

February 4, 2008
12:11 AM

Post #4491811

Have a bunch of soggy Salvias to cheer you up!

Thumbnail by weed_woman

motts1
south central, WI
(Zone 5a)

February 4, 2008
4:13 AM

Post #4492902

Hope everyone is feeling better. We had more snow again.>>>>>>>and again>>>>
I posted the results of my water/preservative/blossom experiment in the classroom.
The only blooms that I don't have to bring in from the store are my orchids. I have one phal in full bloom and 4 more with growing stalks.
Need flowers...may shovel my way out tomorrow.
karmaplace
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 8b)

February 5, 2008
9:09 AM

Post #4497487

BACK FROM THE DARK SIDE. . .Morning everyone. Thank you for all the well wishes. This is the first time in my life that I was down for a whole week! Finally dragged myself to the doctor's yesterday. Dx with sinus infection. No wonder I felt like I got punched in the face. Got a nice steroid shot right on the arse and OMG, I feel soooo much better. Started my antibiotics and think I'm on my way to a wonderful recovery. Why did I put off going to the doc in the first place?? Probably didn't want that needle. . .pain in the butt.

Anyway, thanks so much for all the posts. . .I really enjoyed them despite my misery. Terri, your wellies are so cute. I have this image of all you Londoners walking in the rain in your cute raincoats and matching boots. . . oh yeah, and sipping tea.

Sue, your bromeliad garden is fantastic! So sorry about all that water. Does it ever get high enough to pose a threat to your home? I sure hope not. Are you still writing letters? That would be so cool to receive one from Australia through the mail. I have always wanted to buy pretty stationery, but never have anyone to write to. How much is postage anyway?

Okay, that's it for me now. My brain needs some rest. Talk to gals later.
weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

February 5, 2008
10:32 AM

Post #4497518

Hey Karma, I'd be happy to send a letter. Dmail me your address. I think it cost about $2 from this end. If I didn't put enough postage on, Terry will have to pay it at her end. LOL
The flood water is no threat to our home, but it's getting a bit mouldy and everything feels sticky or damp. URgH!
Glad you have had a shot in the Arse and are feeling better for it!
I'll try tomorrow for some plant material. I also want to read pupils flower class thread. I started and then nran out of time. I seem to be spending more and more time answering posts. Maybe I talk to much!
On that note, Bye.
Sue
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

February 5, 2008
3:59 PM

Post #4498217

Hi everyone,

Karma, glad to have you back! Sometimes we need a kick up the backside to go the the doctors! Good job you did seeing as you had an infection.

Marcia, hello! nice to see you in the cafe. Thanks for the flower experiments, useful information for us. Keep warm.

Star, we are missing you and your ideas at the flower club! How is the studying going?

Sue, Thanks for the soggy salvias. no letter yet! Has it stopped raining?

Adele, hope you are getting over the flu, miss your lovely arrangements.

Who's turn is it to put the kettle on and make a brew?!!
pupilpropogtr
Birmingham, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 5, 2008
4:16 PM

Post #4498278

Running thru!!

I'll get another thread started tonight. Terri, I don't have time to make the brew!!

Much more later.
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

February 5, 2008

Post #4498730

Hi Traci,
Oh my goodness! moving to a new cafe is such a frenzy!! What am I going to do? I don't have any flowers, the tables will be bare. You know how we like to have fresh flowers in the FLOWERPOT cafe everyday.

I wonder if interflora deliver to cyberspace?!!
starlight1153
Seale, AL
(Zone 8b)

February 6, 2008
2:23 AM

Post #4500542

Whew! There went my new hairdo with Pupil doign the ten second dash running thru. LOL

I cramming exams and tryign to transplant babies. Afer next thursday will have some surprises to show ya. And no I not telling. Ya gotta just wait and see.

We got storms supposed to be coming in again and wil have to unplug til it over.

Here a bed I did at the local college maybe ya all might liek to see. Pansies and delphiums which folks said couldnt grow down here.

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

February 6, 2008
11:38 PM

Post #4504372

Hi Star,
Wow, you did a great job with the flower bed at college. It must really brighten the place up walking through.
I don't seem to have any luck with delphiniums, the slugs get to them every time I grow them.
Good luck with your exams! I'm sure you'll pass with flying colours.
I'm looking forward to after next thursday, say no more!
Hope you stay warm and dry and the storms don't do damage.

Hi everyone else and lurkers!
weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

February 7, 2008
8:13 AM

Post #4506291

Hello, I did it. Its a platter for the cafe, a free for all, or pot luck, or whatever you want to call it.
I started with a bed of Sphagnum, placed a piece of driftwood on, placed Rhoeo (complete with roots) into the hole in the wood (big hole, they sit nice and roots in the sphagnum) the "elephant ear" plant is called Xanthasoma or Pocket plant, or mickey mouse taro. It is in a small jar also filled with spagnum moss and water.
Then there is sansevieria trifascata, or Mother-in-laws tonge. I have cut it and pushed it into some florist foam, spread around more sphagnum moss and draped Tillandsia usneoids, or Spanish Moss all around.
Then I placed it in position and topped the whole thing up with water. The Spanish moss will last awhile, as will the Rhoeo and Sansevieria, but the Elephant ears will be the first to go i reckon.
Chow down! Its good for colds apparently, (oh and sinus)
Sue

Thumbnail by weed_woman

karmaplace
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 8b)

February 7, 2008
10:28 AM

Post #4506334

Beautiful platter Sue! I love the colors and textures and height variations. I really envy your Australian garden.
motts1
south central, WI
(Zone 5a)

February 7, 2008
8:23 PM

Post #4508233

ww--Lovely arrangement. Will try to get some plants at store and add some pretties too.
We had another 12" of snow yesterday...had a fellow clean the driveway and sidewalks after I dug out the cars..OOFF..I am too old for this. Then the snowplow came through and pushed a foot of snow behind my car...gonna floor my car and go and and...maybe get plants instead of planting my foot in someones behind!!!
Sorry about the grouching..the old bones aching today.
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

February 8, 2008
11:27 AM

Post #4510808

Hi everyone.

Sue, your platter is a very modern design, lovely. Like Karma said, the colours and textures you have used work really well together. Thankyou, it looks great in our cafe.
Karma, it's nice to see you back, hope you have recovered properly!
Marcia, poor you snowed in! I hope the weather improves for you soon.

I've had a busy week with work, thankfully it's friday!!
I'll be back with some fresh flowers later.
Have a good day everyone, and a relaxing weekend!
diggerette
Brooklyn, NY
(Zone 7a)

February 9, 2008
11:57 AM

Post #4514954

Good Morning All,
Thank you all for your well wishes. I'm finally feeling better but now my brother is very ill. Just wanted to say hi and when everything calms down I'll be back.
Star, I love your bed of pansies and delphiums. Good job!!

Sue, thanks for the platter. I was feeling a bit hungry :) It's very pretty, You have a wonderful sense of form. I think your arrangements reflect your free spirit. That's good.

Karma, I'm glad you're feeling better. I too waited to go the doctor.Why did I wait so long? I think it's called denial:)

Hi Terri! Haven't done the color wheel yet because I was out all week but I'll let you know how it goes.

Hi Pupil, Hi Marcia
pupilpropogtr
Birmingham, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 10, 2008
3:40 AM

Post #4518424

Hey all. Looks like "tonight" meant a few nights later. I don't have time to do a new thread now, but PROMISE to get one tomorrow.

Star, how did ya'll fare with the storms? I slept right through it, but 3 people were killed in Moulton, near my hometown. I hope all is well with you. Love the bed you did. I am thrilled to see the delphinium. I have seeds for it, but was told it wouldn't do well with the humidity. I am going to give it a go.

Karma and Dig, glad ya'll are feeling better. Teensy has had 2 ear infections and now I think she is getting another. She is with Grandi (my mom) and running a temp. Looks like a new set of tubes are in order. Poor baby!!

Marcia, I sooo feel for you, girl. I could not imagine having to deal with that amount of snow and PEOPLE on top of it. Grouch is not the appropriate word to describe what I would be acting like. lol

Weeds, I LOVE it. The Micky Mouse taro is one I have been looking for. Great job.

Terri, missed ya, girlfriend. Can't wait to see what you come up with!!
weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

February 10, 2008
8:59 AM

Post #4518851

Hello all, nice to see everyone back!
Thanks for the compliments. I felt we needed something in the cafe as you all were "snowed under" so to speak *chuckle*
Hey Adele, I hope all is ok with your brother! It sounded serious. All the best!
Hi Terry, missing your arrangements and inspiration.
Hi Marcia, nice to meet you and hope you're thawing out.
Hi Pupil, Hope your teensy is feeling fine and glad the storm has passed. We lost a neighbours nephew in our recent floods last week. Silly boy was playing in the raging creek and got washed out to sea! Very sad. I have lots of Mickey mouse taro here. Am i allowed to send you some or is there quarantine stuff, and would it travel o.k? It's probably cheaper to get it there than to pay postage. Australia post are burglars!
Its been sunny for two days and my DH was very accomadating this weekend and allowed me to do whatever I wanted, and made himself available to help. Next week end is plant sale, but I have embarked on a new obsession, BROMELIADS! I have got stuck in to the many pots bulging at the sides and re-potted many which i hope to sell next month (too soon for next weekend) anyway, this is becoming a rather long story, but hope to see you all around this week with some nice flowers and ideas! Don't forget your valentine arrangement for thursday! I might splash out and purchase flowers
Off to check the forums.
Sue
karmaplace
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 8b)

February 10, 2008
2:06 PM

Post #4519153

Hi everyone.

Adele, glad you're feeling better and hope your brother gets well soon. My father was in the hospital this week with pneumonia and finally released yesterday. Traci, poor Teensy. Hope she doesn't have to get tubes, but if that'll make her feel better, then so be it. Sue, so sad about the little boy. Hope this is the last of all the sad news this week.

I am just coming out of our 3-day Chinese New Year celebration. It started Thursday and ended Saturday. Thank goodness it's over. . .it's been so busy around here with all the family get-togethers. Now Valentines is approaching and I still don't have Star's arrangement. Hope you've come up with something great to sell, Star.

Well gotta go now. Bringing Peyton by for a little visit in his traditional clothing.

Thumbnail by karmaplace

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

February 10, 2008
3:25 PM

Post #4519398

Hi everyone.
It has been a bad week! Hope everyone is feeling better now.

Adele, I hope your brother recovers very soon. Thanks for popping in to let us know.

Traci, missed you too! My sister in law came to stay for a couple of nights, sorry I haven't been around much!
Life just gets in the way of our flowers sometimes!!!!! Hope Teensy gets well soon.

Karma, I'm so pleased to hear your Dad is out of hospital, you must have been worried sick.
Peyton! hello gorgeous boy! in your smart clothes, Thankyou for bringing your handsome son to the cafe Karma.

Sue, guess what arrived???? yay! my letter. Thankyou so much, it was lovely to recieve a letter from you all the way from Australia. Gosh, you have such an interesting life, my reply will be seem so boring!! Love the flower stamps! I was only joking, I hope you didn't have to go out of your way to find them.
I enjoyed your platter, very tasty, although the mother in laws tounge was a bit tough!

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

February 10, 2008
8:37 PM

Post #4520437

Hi I'm back!
When my sister in law came to stay we went to town, I got some lovely flowers, they are south african, a mountain mix.

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

February 10, 2008
8:47 PM

Post #4520532

I haven't decided what to make with them yet, so I just made a collar with laurel leaves and placed them in a vase of water for now.

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

February 11, 2008
2:15 AM

Post #4521839

Hi Traci,
This one's for you! Just incase you call in late tonight to move us to our new cafe.
Traci cocktail, Cheers!

starlight1153
Seale, AL
(Zone 8b)

February 11, 2008
7:14 PM

Post #4524612

AHHHHHHH! What pretty flowers. They so pretty it like one sip and you could be flyign high on the intoxicating smell.

Are those poppies or anemone, or am I wrogn on both counts?
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

February 11, 2008
7:40 PM

Post #4524697

Hi Star,
Thankyou, yes they are anemone. There seems to be alot of different colours of them in the shops at the moment.
Has the weather settled with you? It's been quite mild here lately, I'm not fooled though, in a couple of days it could be freezing again!
Hi everyone else, hope you are all ok.

starlight1153
Seale, AL
(Zone 8b)

February 11, 2008
9:34 PM

Post #4525076

They very pretty. I have a few different colored ones, but they haven't come yet this year. I hope they do, I enjoyed them. Think I had a blue and a white and a red one. Had foudn some bulbs being discontinued and said what the heck let me get a couple and shared a few and planted the rest.

What other colors are there?

The weather here finally settled, but it hasn't made up it's mind yet. Somewhat warm durign the day , but freezing tems still at night. MY back killing me from trying to put plants out to get sunshine durign the day and bring back in durign the evenign and night so they don't freeze. gets to be a chore after awhile. I sure once thinsg start really growign and blooming it wil be a different story.

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

February 11, 2008
10:15 PM

Post #4525203

you could be right! I have only seen red, purple and white!! just lots of them.
It's horrible when your plants become a chore to take out and bring in. I would leave them in!!!!
I got some new Gladioli and Iris bulbs, some Dahlia tubers and Liatris corms. I'll start the dahlias off in the greenhouse, otherwise they just get eaten before they grow by the slugs!

starlight1153
Seale, AL
(Zone 8b)

February 11, 2008
10:58 PM

Post #4525378

How nice. ya go tsome new babies! I forget which thread I was reading someplace on one of the threads about using snadpaper aroudn the bottom of yoru stands and I wonder if putting sanpaper out aroudn in a tiny strip by the plants on the groudn would get them nasty slugs.
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

February 11, 2008
11:22 PM

Post #4525496

ha ha ha! I've heard it all now, well I didn't know that! sandpaper! when it rains it will be soggy! my slugs will slime over it I'm sure.
Got some more goodies...

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

February 11, 2008
11:27 PM

Post #4525517

A couple of climbing roses.

pupilpropogtr
Birmingham, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 11, 2008
11:51 PM

Post #4525634

I FINALLY did it. Here is the link to the new Cafe'!!!
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/812790/

Terri, those are wonderful additions. I will post some of mine on the next thread, after I take some pics. I have gone flower batty!! Love the anomones and we have those here at our Lowes and HD. I must get some.

Hey Star, I am with you on the weather. I do exactly the same thing!! It takes up about 2 hours everyday to do so. Add to the fact I have got to Neem everything for spider mites, as I have lost two plants to them. UGH!!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Cut Flowers and Floral Design Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Cut Flowers and Floral Design Forum dave 40 Apr 24, 2008 2:40 PM
Starting us off Wvdaisy 36 Apr 24, 2007 9:24 PM
My Tropical displays. celt33040 8 Apr 23, 2007 12:26 PM
Articles and tips about processing cut flowers.... gemini_sage 23 Aug 7, 2012 4:11 AM
Vases Lenjo 83 Jul 31, 2008 2:11 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America