Photo by Melody
PlantFiles is getting a new look! Just in time for spring, we're rolling out a new look for the best online plants database. It will also work with your smart phones and mobile devices, so now you can take it with you on garden center visits or botanical garden tours. Questions or comments? Please post them here.

Article: Aroids of the imagination III - What's swimming around down there?: amorphophallus

Communities > Forums > Article: Aroids of the imagination III - What's swimming around down there?
bookmark
Forum: Article: Aroids of the imagination III - What's swimming around down there?Replies: 2, Views: 12
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
fear
london
Canada

January 14, 2008
5:24 PM

Post #4400804

i have been growing a few bulbs each year in london on. i store in the cellar & then plant in pots late winter. in spring i put out in the green house til after frost then plant in garden in a morning sun spot. they only seem to grow so big after a long wait about 2 ft. i;ve not had any bloom yet it;s been 3 or 4 yrs.now. so... how am i doing ok or no ? the bulbs have enlarged though this past summer i did not have any new ones form .
LariAnn
Miami, FL
(Zone 10a)

January 14, 2008
5:53 PM

Post #4400925

To get these to grow to blooming size, you need to use a specific fertilization regime. The current year's growth is only going to be as good as the nutrition the plant received in the previous year.

What I do is to provide a broad-spectrum fertilizer with ample minor elements in the spring, switch to a 14-14-14 or similar analysis in the summer, then to a high phosphorus mix such as 14-26-6 or similar for the fall. This will induce a lot of growth in the bulb or tuber, so much so that if you have yours in a plastic pot, it may deform or break the pot!

Do this for a few years and you'll end up with a bloom!
fear
london
Canada

January 22, 2008
3:35 PM

Post #4438149

thanks lariann was not fertilizing correctly.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Aroids of the imagination III - What's swimming around down there? Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Our second glimpse into Aroidia svplantingfool 0 Jan 8, 2008 11:45 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2015 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America