Photo by Melody

Article: Getting To The Root Of Things. The Sweet Potato: Its History, Uses, and Culture: SWEET POTATO or KUMERA

Communities > Forums > Article: Getting To The Root Of Things. The Sweet Potato: Its History, Uses, and Culture
bookmark
Forum: Article: Getting To The Root Of Things. The Sweet Potato: Its History, Uses, and CultureReplies: 3, Views: 65
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Fangionz
Woodville
New Zealand

January 14, 2008
9:45 PM

Post #4401952

In New Zealand the kumera is much loved, comes in a variety of colours, was mainly roasted but now I'm sure there are a variety of cooking methods used. Grown commercially for many years as well.
Dollykat
Lucasville, OH

November 22, 2010
3:12 PM

Post #8225720

I love sweet potatoes, too, but not the canned ones which are mislabeled as "yams." At Thanksgiving, I love sweet potato casserole, which I think was started in the south: cooked sweet potatoes (never canned) which are mashed, cooled a little, then add eggs, sugar, cinnamon, melted butter, put into buttered casserole dish, topped with a streusel mixture of brown sugar, a little flour, butter, and chopped pecans, popped into the oven to bake to a orange deliciousness. Anyone interested in the exact recipe can find it on any number of websites. Paula Deen's website probably has the recipe, or perhaps the Food Network website. Or google "Sweet Potato Casserole." If someone has eaten only canned sweet potatoes drowned in Karo and topped with ghastly marshmallows and then baked, that poor soul deserves a sympathy card because he/she has no idea how great sweet potatoes can be. Karo corn syrup belongs in pecan pie, not on sweet potatoes.
Twincol
Fresno, CA
(Zone 9b)

October 15, 2012
8:31 PM

Post #9306616

Or yam???? Will someone please describe the difference between the Yam and the Sweet Potato?

TIA,
Linda, aka Twincol

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

October 16, 2012
6:10 AM

Post #9306817

Here's an article that explains the difference: http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/318/

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Getting To The Root Of Things. The Sweet Potato: Its History, Uses, and Culture Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Love those Sweet Potatoes! cathy4 40 Oct 21, 2012 7:43 PM
Beauregard vs Vardeman dirtytoes 0 Jan 20, 2008 4:22 PM
Beaureguard potatoes grandpagrandma 1 Feb 23, 2010 1:30 PM
Are my "pot-plants" ok to eat? binibusybee 1 Nov 1, 2010 5:46 AM
Roasted roots kiseta 1 Oct 12, 2012 7:48 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America