Photo by Melody

Article: Got Back Pain? Grab those Bagged Leaves! Plant your Taters on Top of the Ground!: above ground taters

Communities > Forums > Article: Got Back Pain? Grab those Bagged Leaves! Plant your Taters on Top of the Ground!
bookmark
Forum: Article: Got Back Pain? Grab those Bagged Leaves! Plant your Taters on Top of the Ground!Replies: 11, Views: 216
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Lindawalkabout
Holden, MO
(Zone 5b)

January 14, 2008
10:47 PM

Post #4402198

This is great info doccat5 . I do the above ground to but use wheat straw. My yield this last season wasn't really something to brag about , alto I did get taters.

I will start using the bags of leaves I collected this fall. And move to a different spot.

You shared many things I didn't know and will change the way I start my potatoes this March. Thank you very much

Oh and I had one of those black snakes in my tater patch, I thought it was a piece of hose sticking up out of the ground and thought that was weird, went to grab it and well you know the rest of the story :0, I'll "rack wack" next time ;)

pic is a couple rows of Red Pontiac covered with straw

I might have put this in the wrong place : (

This message was edited Jan 14, 2008 4:51 PM

Thumbnail by Lindawalkabout
Click the image for an enlarged view.

doccat5
Fredericksburg, VA
(Zone 7b)

January 14, 2008
11:31 PM

Post #4402389

They look wonderful, I'm surprised you didn't get better production. I see what appears to be standing water at the top of the picture. Do you have drainage issues? Taters do not like wet footies.
Lindawalkabout
Holden, MO
(Zone 5b)

January 14, 2008
11:40 PM

Post #4402413

Oh ths for looking at picture,

LOL on what does look like standing water is really cardboard, white cardboard I start my new beds with that on bottom and then build up with compost. The soil gets wonderful under the cardboard and the earthworms many : )

The garden has a slight slope so it does good on drainage.

Ths again, I'm so excited about potatoe planting time. You have a great thread started and many people will be doing the above ground method I think this season.

tc
doccat5
Fredericksburg, VA
(Zone 7b)

January 15, 2008
12:50 AM

Post #4402733

Thanks again for the compliments. I can relate to the snake deal...sheesh Why were you not happy with your production? I've not tried Red Ponitac variety, but doubt that should be an issue.
Lindawalkabout
Holden, MO
(Zone 5b)

January 15, 2008
1:29 AM

Post #4402979

I had a lot of small potatoes, some were fist size but mostly golf ball size.

I had 50 LB gunney sack of Red P seed potatoes. I was told I could get a yeild of 2000lbs of potatoes. That seem alot!!!!!!

Not even close to that. I kept adding the straw as the plants grew, would dig out a few when I wanted some new potatoes.

I did not let them set out first in the sunny location to sprout like you mention, I will try that next year.

I think I will try another seed company. I did buy these potatoes in the super market , they were certified seed potatoes.

The same with two other type of potatoes to, so its either the company or my soil is lacking, but being on top of the ground should not have been to issue either. I'm real glad to try leaves and I have many bags of oak leaves to try this season.

adoresaiken
Clemmons, NC

January 15, 2008
1:42 AM

Post #4403072

Never heard of doing potatoes like this, but it sounds very interesting! I may try it this Spring!

Thanks!
doccat5
Fredericksburg, VA
(Zone 7b)

January 15, 2008
2:24 AM

Post #4403313

I think 2000 lbs from a 50 lb sack is unrealistic. I'll have to check on expected yields. Just hadn't thought about that, but someone is bound to ask. LOL If you were doing market growing you could have sold all those little guys at premium prices...LOL

I've got seed coming from Johnny's Select seed, Gurneys and Seed Exchange. We're going to try several different varieties this year, including some fingerlings.

If you do try it, I wish you great success, adoresaiken! :) Certainly easier on the gardener! And I'm all for that!
Bittybelly
Hayes, VA

January 15, 2008
3:41 AM

Post #4403790

Hi, I'm new to this and really enjoyed your article...hope this isn't a silly question but can you grow other things this way? I have a very bad back and it sounds like something I could do with the least amount of pain. Do you think flowers would work, or other vegies?
Thanks, Bittybelly
doccat5
Fredericksburg, VA
(Zone 7b)

January 15, 2008
4:45 AM

Post #4404019

Don't know about flowers, but know you can also grow peanuts under leaves/straw or in tires.
adoresaiken
Clemmons, NC

January 16, 2008
12:15 AM

Post #4407183

Bitty,

Check out Bale Gardening. It may be more of what you would like to try!

Pat
Bittybelly
Hayes, VA

March 30, 2008
1:36 AM

Post #4728176

I did check out Bale Gardening...thanks Pat... I think that will work ! As for growing in Tires , I remember my grandmother growing all kinds of things in them. It's funny how we forget things untill someone sparks a memory, thanks! Bitty
dianne99
Brookville, KS
(Zone 5b)

March 26, 2009
3:00 AM

Post #6320741

A gentleman who raises potatoes this way to sell at his store advised me that you can expect 3 lbs yield per lb planted above ground without watering, 5 lbs in a rainy year or with supplemental watering. I bought only Red Pontiac and another red and did not ask if it applies to other varieties. He does not fertilize his, but I disagree and will be--but not with manure. Eliot Coleman of "Four-Season Harvest" (pg. 177) calls robbing new potatoes "grabbling" and starts when the plant begins blooming. He spreads an inch of compost after the first sprouts appear followed by 6-8" straw. He warns that excessive soil heat or inadequate moisture cause major stress that mulching and watering if necessary can alleviate. Potatoes love cool soil.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Got Back Pain? Grab those Bagged Leaves! Plant your Taters on Top of the Ground! Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Good Info BronxBoy 37 Jan 14, 2008 9:37 PM
Very Informative Katye 21 Feb 13, 2008 11:09 AM
ON THE GROUND PLANTING CCLLYYDDEE 3 Jan 26, 2008 8:25 PM
More potato questions :) tucsonjill 13 Mar 28, 2008 6:42 PM
Yet another question wgnkiwi 2 Mar 5, 2008 9:42 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America