Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Article: Conserving Water in the garden with Rain Barrels: rain barrels

Communities > Forums > Article: Conserving Water in the garden with Rain Barrels
bookmark
Forum: Article: Conserving Water in the garden with Rain BarrelsReplies: 3, Views: 40
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Buzzdog
Sevierville, TN
(Zone 6b)

January 15, 2008
12:23 AM

Post #4402585

It was very dry here, in East Tennessee, until the January rains came in. I purchased four rain barrels in June and the rain water they saved was of great value to plants who were practically on their last leg, errr root! My barrels hold 60 gal. each and after even a little shower, they would be full to the brim. I certainly recommend rain barrels to all gardeners, because one never knows just when that next rain event will occur.
JanetS
Braselton, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 15, 2008
1:53 PM

Post #4404790

My question is: How do you distribute the water once it is collected?
girlgroupgirl

January 15, 2008
9:12 PM

Post #4406449

Janet, I mostly hand water with my barrels or do the bucket brigade. However, you can purchase a submersible sump pump to spew water out...FAST.
You can raise barrels VERY high, on several tiers of cement block or make a wooden stand and let gravity work in soaker hoses (short runs, this won't create pressure for a long run of soaker hoses).
Kids love dipping or filling buckets and distributing water on a hot day. If you have plants that need a long, slow soak (say a tomato) you can make your own waterer by inverting a soda bottle with no lid (or small holes in the lid) and cutting off the bottom to fill.

Glynis,
girlgroupgirl
JanetS
Braselton, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 15, 2008
10:32 PM

Post #4406740

Thanks, Glynis, I thought there had to be a pump of some sort for pressure if in fact you didn't raise it really high!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Conserving Water in the garden with Rain Barrels Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
GREAT information dryad57 6 Jan 15, 2008 9:09 PM
very practical vhbt 0 Jan 14, 2008 1:26 PM
Another trick for mosquito control ilexwhite 1 Aug 17, 2010 1:50 PM
Good article! tommyr2006 0 Jan 14, 2008 7:06 PM
rain barrels taynors 2 Jan 22, 2008 8:12 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America