-
AuthorContent
doccat5
Fredericksburg, VA
(Zone 7b)

January 16, 2008
2:06 PM

Post #4409216

These are just stunning! I had no idea there were so many varieties and I do love iris. Many of those I could probably grow in my zone. Thanks for the information!

carrielamont

carrielamont
Euless, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 16, 2008
3:47 PM

Post #4409864

Now I guess I need to figure out which type we have, Mitch! We have a whole section of our tiny garden devoted to Iris but I think there are many different types in there,,, it seemed like a good idea at the time. Do you have to water yours, in TX? x, Carrie
soapwort243
South Milwaukee, WI

January 16, 2008
9:54 PM

Post #4411616

Great article and beautiful pictures. I love irises. The bearded are my favorite and I always look for the rebloomers. I was surprised by one I planted 2 years ago and it did not bloom in spring with my others, but in late fall, when everything else was dying, then came a huge pure white iris and it lasted quite a while.
Not only are the flowers beautiful, but I think the foliage is very nice looking.
MitchF
Lindsay, OK
(Zone 7a)

January 16, 2008
10:00 PM

Post #4411646

Thank you all - Iris are one of the best plants to just let grow almost everywhere!
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

January 16, 2008
11:04 PM

Post #4412008

Beautifully presented Mitch! So lovely, and so many varieties! Who knew?

Yokwe,
Shari
doss
Stanford, CA
(Zone 9b)

January 17, 2008
12:36 AM

Post #4412465

Nicely done Mitch. Great overview of the types of iris. And you are right about how fussy the Pacific Coast can be. I planted 25 one year and only about 6 are left, but the ones that are left are breathtaking.
MitchF
Lindsay, OK
(Zone 7a)

January 17, 2008
1:14 AM

Post #4412670

Great Doss - glad to tried... after reading a lot of horor stories I would be way to scared to even try!
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 17, 2008
1:50 AM

Post #4412893

Thank you, friend, for another great article. Hope some of these are in my garden.

Christi
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

January 17, 2008
2:36 AM

Post #4413086

Great article Mitch!! I have lots and lots of irises but majority if not all are bearded. They were the only things other than weeds that would grow here when we moved in. Everything else would wither and die or burn up and die. I now have lots of other plants but irises are still number one in here. :~)

frostweed

frostweed
Josephine, Arlington, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 17, 2008
4:53 AM

Post #4413598

Those Iris are really beautiful, thank you Mitch.
OrkyPorky
Ocala, FL

June 22, 2008
1:06 PM

Post #5141667

I just read Part 1 of the article "The story of Iris" (I'm new to Dave's Garden and I've been reading the article backward)---and I just want to say I'm a bearded iris lover living in a climate that doesn't like them. I'm on the border of Zone 8b and 9A and I've been really annoyed by catalogs that say they'll grow in Zone 9. In California maybe, or parts of Texas, but our rain-soaked Florida summers, short, warm-one-minute-cold-the-next winters, and spring seasons that blister with heat and drought are no doubt the reason most of my neighbors don't even bother trying to grow them. I know of two yards here in Ocala where I've seen them, and one acquaintance of some years back tried and said hers rotted the first summer.
Is it true that re-bloomers will do better than this?
MitchF
Lindsay, OK
(Zone 7a)

June 24, 2008
8:08 PM

Post #5153638

For FL I would have to guess and I hate to guess! I love bearded iris and when I lived in Mexico I was able to make one Iris make it there and take - that was a zone 11 location. I would guess that if you build a raised bed that was fast draining you would have much better luck. They dont like wet feet!
hart
Shenandoah Valley, VA

June 28, 2010
8:55 PM

Post #7929393

Great article, Mitch. Here's a beautiful photo - "aril iris blooming in Samaria." Does this make me a good Samaritan? :>)
http://isachar-photography.photoshelter.com/gallery-img-show?P_ID=P00000oyyOK5qRac&_bqG=4&_bqH=eJyr1LXwiMotczR2LjcNKU01dgwuNEm1tExMKfK0MjS1MjK1snKP93SxdTcAAl_H1LywSGPfgDALtQCQaABI1CC_stLf27QwKDFZzd0z3t3Rx8c1KBKbJgDedh.r&GI_IMAGE_ID=I00001M0ZByREoto
MitchF
Lindsay, OK
(Zone 7a)

July 2, 2010
3:25 PM

Post #7938615

Stunning Iris! Thank you for the link!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: The Story of Iris Part 1 Threads you might be interested in:

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America