Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Bromeliads: ID needed

Communities > Forums > Bromeliads
bookmark
Forum: BromeliadsReplies: 13, Views: 104
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
htop
San Antonio, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 17, 2008
12:08 AM

Post #4412349

Any assistance with identifying this bromeliad will be appreciated. They plants I saw were not very tall. The leaves have purplish blotching and speckling on the ends. The name tag that was stuck in among them said "Aechmea gamosepala"; however, I believe it was referring to the Aechmea gamosepala "Lucky Stripes" that were growing among these plants. I have been searching for its ID for quite a long time and have been through most of the bromeliad sites.

The foliage and bloom spike - sorry that it isn't focused well.

Thumbnail by htop
Click the image for an enlarged view.

htop
San Antonio, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 17, 2008
12:10 AM

Post #4412355

Blooms ...

Thumbnail by htop

htop
San Antonio, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 17, 2008
12:11 AM

Post #4412359

Another view of the blooms ... this one with bright light and the blooms have faded a bit.

Thumbnail by htop

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 17, 2008
3:02 AM

Post #4413184

Have you looked at aechmea cylindrata? Check out the pictures here: http://www.fcbs.org/pictures.htm
Click on "aechmea" on the side menu and then scroll down until you see it. If that's not it you can keep looking - they have pictures of many, many bromeliads.

Melanie
htop
San Antonio, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 17, 2008
4:50 AM

Post #4413589

Thanks, Melanie. I have gone through all of the photos at this FCBS. It does resemble Aechmea cylindrata; however, the one I am trying to ID has much lighter colored leaves and purplish leaf tips. These differences could be due to the fact that they are growing in almost full sun for most of the day. The height of Aechmea cylindrata which is about 1 foot, its width of about 1 foot and the size of the bloom stalk does correspond with my unidentified plant as does the general appearance of the bloom stalk. I will research Aechmea cylindrata further. Thanks again, I appreciate your assistance. :o)

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 17, 2008
6:41 AM

Post #4413857

Yeah, one of the problems (and joys I suppose) of bromeliads is how much they can vary depending upon their growing situation. When I first saw your picture I did think it was aechmea gamosepala. Have you seen gamosepala go through its entire bloom cycle? Your picture reminds me of how they look near the end before they lose their color.

Everyone else, feel free to chime in!

Melanie
htop
San Antonio, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 17, 2008
10:04 AM

Post #4413952

Melanie, I haven't seen them near the end before they lose their color. Actually, I have never seen them in person at any stage. :o) weed_woman also states in the Plant Identification Forum that she thinks that they are Aechmea gamosepala at the end of their bloom cycle. What is confusing to me is that the spikes of the unidentified plant appear to be denser, larger in diameter and not as long as the Aechmea gamosepala spikes I have seen in the photos I have found.

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 19, 2008
5:12 AM

Post #4423451

I got to thinking about your comment that the plant was not very tall. I have two forms of aechmea gamosepala - a large form and a small form. When I was looking at your picture I was thinking of the small form but it made me wonder if you were finding pictures of the large form to compare it to. The small form spikes are definitely shorter although I've never paid attention to the density and such. Just another possibility to think about!

Melanie
htop
San Antonio, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 19, 2008
2:35 PM

Post #4424167

That is a possibility. Thanks.

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 20, 2008
1:36 AM

Post #4426998

I accidentally deleted a lot of my bromeliad pics but luckily I uploaded a lot of them to DG before I did that. Did you see the picture of my small form gamosepala in the Plant Files? http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/138169/

Melanie
htop
San Antonio, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 20, 2008
4:34 AM

Post #4427645

Gosh, I am so sorry you lost a lot of your photos. I gulped when I read that. Yes, I had looked at it. The fading blooms just don't seem to match.
htop
San Antonio, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 23, 2008
1:11 AM

Post #4440487

Photo of the plant group that I found that was taken by someone else that was visiting the Kula Botanical Garden in Maui (click on the magnifying glass below the photo to enlarge):

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/photo/1465559162078955288pOXHgd

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/photo/1465560263078955288HlYeDQ

After searching for quite sometime, I located 2 photos taken at the Kula Botanical Garden that show what I believe to be these plants at a different time of the year with "young" blooms. I have concluded that they indeed are Aechmea gamosepala which have a dense bloom and the photos are of ones that are beginning to fade.
Thanks for your help. :o)

This message was edited Jan 23, 2008 12:50 PM

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 23, 2008
11:00 PM

Post #4444378

Glad you got an answer. That is one bromeliad that changes a lot throughout its bloom. It amazed me to watch it through its cycle. If you ever want one, just let me know.

Melanie
htop
San Antonio, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 24, 2008
12:13 AM

Post #4444692

Thanks, Melanie.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Bromeliads Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
bromeliads ..how to propogate????? pixiedust 11 Jan 10, 2009 5:14 AM
Aechmea Blue Tango giancarlo 16 Feb 4, 2008 7:24 AM
My cryptanthus collection Chris_Lorry 30 Mar 2, 2009 12:43 PM
Growing a pineapple from the store. mikekilhoffer 20 Feb 18, 2009 7:49 PM
Looking to trade for colorful Bromeliads and similar plants. bwilliams 10 Jan 14, 2008 9:03 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America