can't wait to fish this spring
i m not one to ice fish. Waaaaayyyy to cold for me brrrrr
anyone got the Cabelas catolog yet
I think i got Bass Pro but not Cabelas
Went to Gander Mt pphhttt nothing their . I just didn't like anything thier
sue

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

Thanks for starting the new thread!

Cabella's catalog? I get one every 3 days. I swore this year I was going to keep track and have a huge box to put them all in. I must buy too much from them.

Yes, the booty fly is a little difficult to put in. I did find though that it was easier to cut the "smile" , add facing to the cut edges and then insert the zipper. It would be worth the money to have a pro do it. Just use a really heavy zipper that runs smoothly.

The term "booty fly" I came up with, but someone else here told me to put a zipper in my suit. (when I have time, I will go back through the 60 mile long thread and see who it was). I did contact Cabelas a couple months ago. Said that because they work with designers, this might be something to consider. They wrote me back and said they would pass on the information. I cannot believe they have not addressed this issue before.

A nearby sports/hunting shop had camo crockpots half price. Boy oh boy, venison roast in a camo crockpot tastes twice as good.

Vicksburg, MS(Zone 8a)

Camo crockpots--lol, that would have been neat back when hubby and I used to be in deer camps where we had a "camp shack." Used to like to cook for several other camp members (whoever was there at the time). They would have all gotten a kick out of that. I've never seen them. If they could be found around here, I'm sure one of my kids would have to give me one as a gift.

Nova, OH(Zone 5b)

Cparts, you may want to consider getting a patent on your idea so it isn't stolen. I wouldn't want someone else to profit from an idea you put so much time and effort into!

Sue, just like Cparts I get a Cabela's catalog every 3 days too! Well it seems like every 3 days. We even get the hardback 'limited edition' catalogs. I know we spend too much there. Also, on the other thread you had asked about 'going in the woods'. That is the hardest part about being a female hunter. I even wear coveralls! Basically you have to brave the cold, disrobe, try not to fall down, squat on poison/prickers, don't pee on your clothes (that isn't fun getting a hoody full of pee), and before you freeze, redo all you've undone. Then add a climbing tree stand!I also know women who prefer to hunt in a skirt to avoid this very problem.
Final note there are products available for women to 'pee standing' which would make "going in the woods" easier. They aren't easy to find but are available.
Megan

Nova, OH(Zone 5b)

Here's a link for any females interested.
www.travelmateinfo.com/page002.html

Seward, AK

I couldn't wear coveralls and go through all that, even in Alaska we just drop trou, usually sweatpants in the layer of pants if cold enough and rainpants with stretch tops in wet weather or wet brush, as the last layer. I found all about weeing fast on my short flagging career. They don't give you but 15 minutes if that, and you learn to regulate your liquid intake and output in that profession! When you have heavy equipment on the roll, you have to control the traffic, no matter what. Out hunting with the guys, they are directed to "watch for a bear" with backs turned. LOL
Carol

none of ur business, OK(Zone 5b)

You know how carthart coveralls have buttons all the way up in the leg . I wonder if that would be another alternative in womens sports ware . Remember onsies when you kids were babies . Kinda like that idea ? hmmm
hey cparts i think you may be on to something
i would try and patent and do some demos like chickenrancher suggested.
i got a friend in ID her Dh does taxidermey i bet someone like that could advertise for you ? in his shop.
Skirts hmmmm there is an idea. i presume without heels ? lol :)
sue

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

It is funny, because I do have a nice suit that is pants and a nice coat, but prefer the once piece suit when hunting. It just seems warmer. I was thinking I was pretty sassy every time I used that zipper on the booty. LOL. (after 10 years of dressing and redressing in the blind)

Here is the link to the crock pot.
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/common/search/search-results1.jsp?QueryText=slow+cooker&N=4887&Ntk=Products&Ntx=mode+matchall&Nty=1&Ntt=slow+cooker&noImage=0
I got the largest one. It is huge. It looks good too.

I have seen the Nascar ones

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

I have seen sports ones too. Like a big football.
DD first told me of the camo slow cookers, a couple years ago, their tv station had a buck pole. Everyday there would be different sponsers there at the station. She emailed me and said "Mom, there are guys here with camo crockpots. Why would you need a camo crockpot?" I instantly wanted one. LOL
It is kind of like when we used the walkie talkies when we hunted. Had to pay extra for the camo. Then I dropped mine and took an hour trying to find it. LOL

I never thought i would where camo , but besides pink that is all i where. Now if only Carharts where in camo.
Hahaha on the walkie talkies
I tried to convince my DH the quad should be camo, he didn't go for it But we did get camo green . solid. a girl can dream.

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

Our quads are red. Oh well. We do have a camo cover for them though, although we always walk to our blinds.
Late last year DH started using the quad because of time (got dark so early) and heavy snow for walking. (you get too warm walking, then freeze sitting)
He parked it about 200 yards from the blind and had no problem seeing deer. They didn't seem to mind the big red thing there at all. Then when he shot a deer, the quad was right there for him to bring it to the house.
I might get lazy next year and take the quad sometimes.

yeah quad sounds good for the long haul
deer can be heavy i imagine
sue

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

Yes, before we had the quads, there were places we wouldn't even shoot deer. If you have to drag them through a half mile of swamp, with downed trees, muck, roots, heavy cover, you woundn't shoot it either.
We set up a system of trails, using deer trails and cutting the least possible amount. The trials help us get to the deer. And make nice walking or quading for recreation too.
In the winter, we break the trails with the quad after a heavy snow. The deer then use these trails, making it easier for them to walk. Some of the trails look like you went down them with hoof studded tires. lol

So how many acres do you have ? or did you tell me that already and as always i forgot ?
or do you have a place out somewhere else on land by you.
i was told not to hunt on our land, but i think the first yr we will. Watch after that and see how it goes.
My FIl wants to put pheasant and qual out thier in our woods. For wild game hunting and some wild turkeys.
With my luck they will go get hit by a car or go on to my neighbors and he gets them lol :)
We are going to put some trails in too in our woods. We have alot of clearing to do. To get the air flow back in so the good trees can grow. and we aren't suffening in the summer with humidity. It is pretty bad back in the woods in august yikes
sue

Nova, OH(Zone 5b)

Why wouldn't you hunt on your own land? The best thing about having land is being able to do on it what you want which includes hunting! Your own well managed land is the best place to hunt. Also, you know who is and isn't supposed to be there. As for the pheasant and quail ... the quail will do well in your woods that is their natural habitat but unless you have some uncut grassland the pheasant probably won't do well. Pheasant are prairie birds.

thats what i thought too chicken . but FIL is pretty stubburn. So i just kinda let him talk
have you ever hunted qual ? for me it is a pretty small bird to put energy into . Imho ,but what do i know. ;)
i don't know why the guy told me that . I htink he was jealous. ?
I would do quail just to do bird watching . i do think they are cute

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

Best thing is to be able to manage your own land. And to be able to watch deer movement all year round.
We have 110 acres here. There is high land and swamp land, it boarders a river and has a nice ridge running through it. Really nice habitat.
I haven't hunted birds yet. We have some ruffled grouse here and turkeys, but the bobcats seem to be better hunters so far and don't leave all that many. We have the lake/marsh out front where there is pretty good duck/geese hunting, but I haven't done that yet either. Like to watch others hunt out there though. The goose season, is on top of deer season, and it is hard to do both.
Having property is a never ending management. But sure worth it.

Fredericksburg, VA(Zone 7b)

cpartschick, you need to be talking to your state Game and Fishery. A lot of states do release programs for game birds in areas where they aren't so plentiful. It certainly wouldn't hurt to ask if they have anything like that available.

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

That is a good idea. And something to ck. I think though, that it is just our chunk of land. Seems there is a really good pheasant population a couple miles from here, yet, I saw a pheasant on our property for the first time in 20 years on Christmas day.
Down the road a half mile, they have tons of turkeys. We just have a few more preditors here. That is ok, I can share with them. The bobcats, coyotes and fox have not been a problem...yet. Sure wish they would eat some of the squirrels though. Seem to be enough of those guys around.

Well, I know Nebraska has a release program for pheasant, quail and turkey, so assumed your state would have something similar. Pheasant hunting there is big business. I love it and miss that terribly, but don't know if I'm still fast enough and can see well enough to hunt em. Good eating though! They are a real challenge to shoot on the wing.

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

Much of the pheasant hunting are pheasants that are released for the hunt. Not my type of hunting at all.
I was surprised to hear (from on DG) that there are many pheasants in our county. My brothers used to bring one home for dinner when I was a kid. They are sure good. Now, I think I would rather look at them, as they are such a handsome bird.

My mother use to make Christmas decorations out of the feathers. They are beautiful birds and good to eating.

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

Really? How did she do it?
They do have pretty feathers.

I have never had pheasant.
Do they use the feathers for fly fishing lures doccat ? i seem to remember my bro doing his own flys and using some pretty feathers.

I'm still thinking as it's been a long long time. Don't know if they use them for fly fishing.

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

They use all kinds of feathers for fly tying.
After we were married DH said he needed to pick up his father's fly tying stuff from a nephew and we needed a truck.
I wrinkled my brow and thought, mmmm, fly tying....some hooks, thread, feathers, fur, maybe a little vise or something, how much stuff could it be.
We went and packed the long box full of boxes. It was a few years before he set up a room in the basement and we unpacked. His dad had enough stuff to open a store to SELL fly tying stuff.
Large jars of all kinds of feathers, plastic shoe boxes full of pelts and whole skins off birds. About 20 large boxes with drawers holding all kinds of thread and hooks. It was crazy. He has this new 14 by 20 room full of stuff.
Now if it was crafts, or yarn, that would be ok.
(I do sneak some supplies sometimes to make "fly fishing earrings" or other projects)
Now...if this is not enough, I now have squirrel tails hanging from the basement ceiling drying, just in case there wasn't the right color I guess.

Marion, IN

My husband taught me to tie flies. He was a genius, made all his own tools then made everything from feathers and fur but I'll admit he did buy some of the caribou feathers and a few calf tails (kip tail is what he called it). He evn made teeny tiny little ones for ice fishing. Always had friends(?) begging for them till he put a price on them then all he got was a lot of badmouthing. They did take a lot of time. He even m ade molds for pouring crawdads, nightcrawlers etc long before they were as popular as they are today. And we always recycled broken and torn up ones. Pheasant are released here in Indiana for hunting. A few of them survive the hunt and one will be spotted on occasion. Farmers, although I love and respect them, are making survival next to impossible for much of the wildlife, especially birds and rabbits. Here's a question, my daughter in law saw two cats in the field at the back of their property and grabbed the video. They appeared to be extremely large black housecats. I'll guess from the video they were 1 1/2 - 2 foot tall, based on the corn stubble they were walking through. They called the CO and he said he felt they were just house cats but wanted them to get their video burned onto a CD to send in to the experts. They have seen them one other time. Nobody living nearby claims them and they move somewhat different than regular cats. We dont' have any large wild cats around except an occasional claimed sighting of a bobcat. Any feedback on this?

I can't think of anything ? of hand. There is a thread on a wild cat but i can't remembe what is called
i will look around and see if i can fidn it
your dh sounds like a genious with his flys !!! what an art form .

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

Bobcats are about that size, and sometimes dark, but not black. They have a nice fluff around the face and just a short little tail.
Some housecats come in jumbo size. But that seems rather large.

I can't find that thread on the wild cats . hmm wonder where it went
are they called Mancoons they are really big cats

You mean Maine Coon Cats? They are big, but they aren't black, their brown and ginger colors.

ahh yes that is what i was thinking and not spelling correctly.
doccat once again , you saved the day . :) thank you :)
my spelling is really bad isn't it yikes
i am not finding the one thread that i think it might be. hmm
to bad we can't see pic of them , that would help alot .
Hmm sure it ain't Big Foot . ?:)

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

Maybe Big foot's pet cat?

lololol :)
hmmm the mystery continues. It really has my puzzled.

Maple City, MI(Zone 6a)

Hello,

I'm fairly new to the site and just noticed there's a hunting a fishing forum! Yaaaah!

I do both but i'm a better fisher than hunter...lol

With regards to the big cats. Funny you say that. There's a big ordeal in Michigan about whether or not there are cougars here. Many people have reported sitings but there's really no proof yet that I know of. It's becoming a real mystery....maybe the cats were baby cougars...lol

-Kim

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

First of all welcome! We have been sharing some great female hunting and fishing tips here. Great to have you around, and another Michigander, yeah!

There was a cougar hit by a car here a couple years ago, and last year a guy from Gladwin had one attack one of his horses. So I went from a non believer to a believer really quick.

Funny though, now that I have a trail camera, I have seen no signs of cats at all. Not even the bobcat sign this spring. (I think January was the last that I saw of bobcat tracks)

Lots of coyote though, been seeing them during the day, even had a pair run between me and DH on the quads at 4 in the afternoon. They were so busy fighting each other and chasing each other, that they were on top of us before they noticed we were there.

Also funny that we noticed turkey numbers and ruffled grouse numbers up almost right away after the cats were gone. Gee, I wonder why, huh?

If the coyote continue to show themselves and so close to the house I may hunt them this year. I always thought them too dog-like to hunt, but after seeing them up close in the wild. There is a huge difference.

Maple City, MI(Zone 6a)

Yeah, the coyotes have become a huge problem in Michigan. I have heard of a lot of people who will go out on hunting sprees to thin them out a little...not to sure if that's legal but it was on their property so I think it's ok.

cpartschick...are you on the michigan-sportsman site too? I seem to recall someone there talking about the booty fly as well. If not you'll have to join there too!

-Kim

Wow this is weird ? i was just thinking of this thread today !! and was wondering about it. I was just thinking of Carol and how fun it was to talk iwth her and her stories of Alaska . :)
and low and behold !! here we are again . yeah. I think Carol would like that . :)
anyone gone fishing yet ? we havn't. With building the new house i have been to busy and with getting the garden planted . just havin't been able to get out. The lake is just 5 miles from us to Whaaaa.
I got my kids poles too. can't wait to get me some crappie and fry them babies up
Glad to have you aboard Kim ! welcome
I m a very very begginer nad have learned alot from cparts and all the ladies. I am hoping this fall my FIL and i can get out this fall.
take care
sue

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.