Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Beginner Vegetables: Heat pads ?

Communities > Forums > Beginner Vegetables
bookmark
Forum: Beginner VegetablesReplies: 19, Views: 251
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 17, 2008
4:22 PM

Post #4414969

I have heard that some tomatos and peppers need heat at the bottom and use heat pads ?
i have looked for these but find them expensive .
any frugal ways to do this . Or is the expensive pads the way to go
can i use the reg heating pad ?
thanks
sue
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

January 18, 2008
2:37 AM

Post #4418048

Hi Taynor, in your zone, a heat pad would probably help, especially when you are trying to germinate the seeds indoors, but by the time the real summer comes, then the heat pad wont be a good idea unless you have no sunlight to give the growing plants natural heat, then for the rest of the summer, the heat pad wont be used, so it is a case of, how much does the pads cost, they dont use a lot of power but they have a constant heat IF you get one that has a setting thermostat to set the temp as to how warm the seeds need for germination, so unless you dont have a warm window sill to start the seeds of, you have to consider if you can recoup the cost of the pad with how much use over the years you will use it. the heat pads and covered electric propagating frames I have, are years old now as I clean and store them away each year end of use, so they do last a long time if good care is given. Good luck. WeeNel.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 18, 2008
2:44 AM

Post #4418083

Thanks WeeNel
oh Scotland .
My dads side are Scots :)
I did find a cheaper source for the heathing pads. that is good
I wil have a cattle panel GH to start seeds in this yr ,but i think for the peppers i will do heat pads in a room in the house.
thanks again
sue

dreaves

dreaves
Hutto, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 25, 2008
3:26 AM

Post #4450544

Sue, the heat mat is definately the way to go! Critterologist has an article today http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/556/ that talks about seed starting using heat. I bought a heat mat and a thermostat and my pepper seeds are popping up in less than a week! The mat and the thermostat both look like they'll last forever--and they are really easy to use.

David

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 25, 2008
2:31 PM

Post #4451774

hey thanks dreaves
yes i have been looking for them in other sources , funny how the price changes when you look around more lolol .
they do look like they would last awhile . so that is good.
I will have to start peppers and matos in the house , then transfer out to the GH.
cool on the article too, i love Critter she knows alot ! :)
thanks again
sue
tarheel2az
Tonto Basin, AZ

January 25, 2008
2:49 PM

Post #4451858

Sue, an ordinary household heating pad works for us. Heated seeds germinate 5 or 6 days sooner than unheated for us. The heating pad (on the Low setting) sits on metal trivets, a baking pan on the pad, seed pots/pellets in the pan. The heat dries things out quickly, so ya gotta watch it. I often keep put a thin layer of water in the baking pan.

A caution - originally the heating pad sat directly on a formica counter top in the utility room. Eventually, the heat loosened the glue and we now have a little bump in the counter.

Frank

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 25, 2008
2:56 PM

Post #4451888

oh good to know tarheel
i have never heard of Tonto Basin AZ i used to live in Chandler AZ and Avondale :)
good idea on the baking pan. thanks
sue
tarheel2az
Tonto Basin, AZ

January 25, 2008
5:23 PM

Post #4452605

Tonto Basin is about a 90 min drive NE from Chandler NE, near Lake Roosevelt.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 26, 2008
6:21 PM

Post #4457043

I like the name. I always like the names of places in AZ and the street names too.
David_Paul
Clinton, CT
(Zone 6b)

January 29, 2008
11:34 AM

Post #4468413

I started over 100 tomatoes last year without a heating pad in room temps around 68 degrees. Germination took 5 to 8 days. Peppers I put on top of shop lights and on a wooden bench above a cast iron radiator. They took 8 to 14 days. Checking the temp of the soil in the pepper trays was a bother however and this year I'm getting heating mats.
doccat5
Fredericksburg, VA
(Zone 7b)

January 29, 2008
11:45 AM

Post #4468425

Please! Use great caution if you choose to use a regular heat pad, their not made for this kind of use and that increases the danger of fire. A regular heat mat will last years if properly taken care of and is designed to do this specific job. Being penny wise and pound foolish especially with the potential for fire is not a good idea.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 30, 2008
4:31 PM

Post #4473734

i will get the mats that are made for the seedlings. No worries here doccat on that . :)
I do have a shelf unti that i have lights attached to i use for seedlings. But this yr i am hoping on a GH
we got our electic for the new house. I m going to see how much it would cost to add it to the GH.
I m putting the Gh same side of the electic pole we are hooking up to.
Fire is never cheap in the long run
i know i used a reg heat pad my first yr. i didnt really now then, what i know now. lol :)
sue
Aquannie
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 4, 2008
10:07 PM

Post #4495617

As you can see, my seed starting area is "out of this world". I using a seed starting heat mat under the little plant light that is in front and I use my aerogarden for my heirloom tomatoes. The heat mat speeds things up. I have sugar snaps under the light but no heat right now. I will be setting eggplants and peppers out to start shortly. I never had any luck but this year I keep a fan running and have pretty good lights and other accessories. Maybe they'll actually make it into the garden.

Ann B.

Thumbnail by Aquannie
Click the image for an enlarged view.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

February 4, 2008
10:20 PM

Post #4495660

May the force be iwth you and your seeds lol :)
that looks great
i cant wait to start
Antoinine
Cleveland Heights, OH
(Zone 5b)

February 9, 2008
8:46 PM

Post #4516715

Hey Sue...

What's your seedling start date? I was told we should start our seedlings in this area Feb 1st.

Toni

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

February 9, 2008
11:24 PM

Post #4517256

really ? huh ?
tell you the truth i have no clue
Our last frost is May as i recall.
I m in an apt this yr so i have very little space , i hope to build a cattle panel hoop house in March /April and start then.
That start date seems to early for me. ? were did you hear it ?
I can't remeber what i did several yrs ago. Last yr in 07 i didn't have a garden ,we were traveling. Yr of 06 i think i started in March ? if i recall right.
can you tell i don't write things down and rely on my memory lolol :)
sue
jlp222
Hammond, LA
(Zone 8b)

March 2, 2008
8:42 AM

Post #4611738

Here you go . . . http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/817187/

Check out the post from: February 26, 2008 8:52 PM and on.

This message was edited Mar 2, 2008 2:43 AM

This message was edited Mar 2, 2008 2:04 PM

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 2, 2008
2:45 PM

Post #4612153

i got one heat mat but it didn't have a heat control so i decided to return it and i got two with heat controls for only a few extra bucks.
Reading Critters article really helped thanks David for that link to her article
sorry it took me so long to get back to you :) on that
hmm i am almost ready to set up seeds
sue

dreaves

dreaves
Hutto, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 3, 2008
1:02 AM

Post #4614242

Good luck with the seed mat. I found that the heat really helped speed up germination.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 3, 2008
1:07 AM

Post #4614271

Good to know
:)

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Vegetables forum! dave 24 Mar 24, 2013 6:54 PM
Tomato problems jkehl 40 Oct 15, 2010 1:06 PM
starting a vegie garden wilflower 28 May 24, 2012 2:38 PM
Nasturtiums and squash? Terry 41 Mar 24, 2007 8:07 PM
Bees Please jkehl 95 Apr 7, 2013 7:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America