Photo by Melody

Article: Confessions of a Crude Composter: Oh, I wish!!

Communities > Forums > Article: Confessions of a Crude Composter
bookmark
Forum: Article: Confessions of a Crude ComposterReplies: 4, Views: 98
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
gloriag
Floyd, VA
(Zone 6b)

January 17, 2008
9:26 PM

Post #4416439

Summer,
Your casual approach to composting is so inspiring. I am afraid that I am not strong enough to lift bales of straw, but I wish I could. I am so envious of that rich compost. You've done wonders in such a short time.
Your article was very informative with good photos. I love your careless, casual attitude about a subject that many people, including me, regard as an esoteric ritual beyond our ordinary abilities.
When I finished your article, I thought, "I can do that!!... sort of."
summerkid
Rose Lodge, OR
(Zone 8b)

January 17, 2008
9:30 PM

Post #4416466

gloria, you'd be surprised how light straw is, compared with hay. Plus, I know you have access to some cheap manual labor now, so get with it!

You could probably get by with a bin only one bale high, and a 2-wheeled mover's cart (the orange ones found at hardware stores) would make it manageable for you.
mgpaquin
Savannah, GA

February 5, 2013
1:04 PM

Post #9409409

Oh, I wish too! I'd love to be able to do this, but I've got just 1/4 acre and our house sits on that... I do make compost with tea bags, veggie and fruit peels and scraps using my Envirocycle, which does a great job, but our paper, cardboard, etc., still goes into the recycle bin and protein/fat based kitchen waste still hits the garbage can.
summerkid
Rose Lodge, OR
(Zone 8b)

February 6, 2013
8:43 PM

Post #9410792

A quarter-acre is plenty! I'm not doing the straw bales here in Oregon on account of the incessant rain. My local Ace Hardware fills my truck bed with pallets if I catch them when they have more than needed. I stand them on end in a square & nail scrap wood across each of the 4 corners, then nail plastic sheeting or screen material so that it hangs down the insides of the square. Voila! A very efficient composter that cost nothing & will hold a dozen years' worth of contributions.

It doesn't look too bad either, but you could always dress it up with paint or plywood.

Of course, I applaud your Envirocycle & other efforts!
gloriag
Floyd, VA
(Zone 6b)

February 9, 2013
8:18 AM

Post #9413005

Summer, It's so good to know you are here! I hoped you were
still in Oregon and really settled in.

I don't have a compost pile, but I have a truck load to chips from the highway dept.
because they were cutting down weed trees under the power lines.. Once it is
rotted, I hope I can use it as compost.

Also, today I hope to have the lights on upstairs so that I can start seedlings.
As well, I have seeds from self sow varieties to scatter so this could be a very
busy day.

Has anyone here ever sown self sowers in Feb?

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Confessions of a Crude Composter Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Dairy? Meat? Roadkill?? PuddlePirate 31 Feb 7, 2013 1:18 AM
Finally!! threegardeners 2 Jan 17, 2008 9:03 PM
validation laurawege 1 Jan 17, 2008 8:43 PM
Summer, we think alike!! :) soulgardenlove 3 Jan 21, 2008 7:17 PM
Love your casual approach to composting michaeljo 2 Jan 29, 2013 1:59 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America