Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Article: Confessions of a Crude Composter: Oh, I wish!!

Communities > Forums > Article: Confessions of a Crude Composter
bookmark
Forum: Article: Confessions of a Crude ComposterReplies: 4, Views: 98
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
gloriag
Floyd, VA
(Zone 6b)

January 17, 2008
9:26 PM

Post #4416439

Summer,
Your casual approach to composting is so inspiring. I am afraid that I am not strong enough to lift bales of straw, but I wish I could. I am so envious of that rich compost. You've done wonders in such a short time.
Your article was very informative with good photos. I love your careless, casual attitude about a subject that many people, including me, regard as an esoteric ritual beyond our ordinary abilities.
When I finished your article, I thought, "I can do that!!... sort of."
summerkid
Rose Lodge, OR
(Zone 8b)

January 17, 2008
9:30 PM

Post #4416466

gloria, you'd be surprised how light straw is, compared with hay. Plus, I know you have access to some cheap manual labor now, so get with it!

You could probably get by with a bin only one bale high, and a 2-wheeled mover's cart (the orange ones found at hardware stores) would make it manageable for you.
mgpaquin
Savannah, GA

February 5, 2013
1:04 PM

Post #9409409

Oh, I wish too! I'd love to be able to do this, but I've got just 1/4 acre and our house sits on that... I do make compost with tea bags, veggie and fruit peels and scraps using my Envirocycle, which does a great job, but our paper, cardboard, etc., still goes into the recycle bin and protein/fat based kitchen waste still hits the garbage can.
summerkid
Rose Lodge, OR
(Zone 8b)

February 6, 2013
8:43 PM

Post #9410792

A quarter-acre is plenty! I'm not doing the straw bales here in Oregon on account of the incessant rain. My local Ace Hardware fills my truck bed with pallets if I catch them when they have more than needed. I stand them on end in a square & nail scrap wood across each of the 4 corners, then nail plastic sheeting or screen material so that it hangs down the insides of the square. Voila! A very efficient composter that cost nothing & will hold a dozen years' worth of contributions.

It doesn't look too bad either, but you could always dress it up with paint or plywood.

Of course, I applaud your Envirocycle & other efforts!
gloriag
Floyd, VA
(Zone 6b)

February 9, 2013
8:18 AM

Post #9413005

Summer, It's so good to know you are here! I hoped you were
still in Oregon and really settled in.

I don't have a compost pile, but I have a truck load to chips from the highway dept.
because they were cutting down weed trees under the power lines.. Once it is
rotted, I hope I can use it as compost.

Also, today I hope to have the lights on upstairs so that I can start seedlings.
As well, I have seeds from self sow varieties to scatter so this could be a very
busy day.

Has anyone here ever sown self sowers in Feb?

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Confessions of a Crude Composter Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Dairy? Meat? Roadkill?? PuddlePirate 31 Feb 7, 2013 1:18 AM
Finally!! threegardeners 2 Jan 17, 2008 9:03 PM
validation laurawege 1 Jan 17, 2008 8:43 PM
Summer, we think alike!! :) soulgardenlove 3 Jan 21, 2008 7:17 PM
Love your casual approach to composting michaeljo 2 Jan 29, 2013 1:59 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America