Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Article: Seed Starting 101: Setting up Light Shelves for Starting Plants from Seed Indoors, Without a Greenhouse: Wonderful!

Communities > Forums > Article: Seed Starting 101: Setting up Light Shelves for Starting Plants from Seed Indoors, Without a Greenhouse
bookmark
Forum: Article: Seed Starting 101: Setting up Light Shelves for Starting Plants from Seed Indoors, Without a GreenhouseReplies: 1, Views: 15
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
gloriag
Floyd, VA
(Zone 6b)

January 17, 2008
9:33 PM

Post #4416488

Critter, Your message is so great! I have been starting seeds under lights since 1974. The first year was an absolute success. I like that you put alternatives to formal light stands. With imagination almost anyone can find a spot to put a small flourescent light with seed containers under it.
To save room, I often start out with a 8 oz styrafoam cup with seeds planted in potting mix. Initially, I cover the cups with a fold-down type sandwich bag and a rubber band. I write the name of the plants on the cup with a ball point pen. It's not long before they need transplanting. People would be surprised at how many seedlings can get their first and second leaves in one cup. It's always more than I end up using. You are right! It is sooo much fun!
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

January 17, 2008
9:51 PM

Post #4416571

I use smaller containers and trays for sowing seeds also. But I think you're more disciplined than I... I have a hard time tossing out those "extra" seedings, and I try to make room for them somewhere on my light shelves! Initially, I am very popular at spring plant swaps, but by the end of the swap I think people start ducking me as I try to unload my last box of extra seedlings... LOL!

For anybody trying the styrofoam cups, don't forget to poke a couple of holes in the bottom for drainage. :-)

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Seed Starting 101: Setting up Light Shelves for Starting Plants from Seed Indoors, Without a Greenhouse Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Great information! doccat5 12 Jan 20, 2008 2:20 AM
Great article! wind 9 Jan 17, 2008 8:35 PM
Thanks Critter! Seandor 3 Jan 21, 2008 5:28 PM
Planting Out Probs Jax4ever 3 Jan 18, 2008 12:40 PM
Starting columbine seeds xshoshin 1 Mar 2, 2008 1:32 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America