Photo by Melody

Article: Introduction of Sansevierias, One of the Premiere Houseplants Available: very comprehensive

Communities > Forums > Article: Introduction of Sansevierias, One of the Premiere Houseplants Available
Forum: Article: Introduction of Sansevierias, One of the Premiere Houseplants AvailableReplies: 7, Views: 62
Add to Bookmarks
Naples, FL
(Zone 10a)

January 18, 2008
11:25 AM

Post #4419307

I have the good fortune to live near one of the premier growers of this plant so I have been exposed to most of these varieties. It's nice to see them all listed comprehensively here. Thanks for the great article.
(Terri ) South Bosto, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 18, 2008
1:47 PM

Post #4419596

I have to confess, I'm a sanseviera murderer! I just can't keep them happy, and I have one now that is dying a very slow death. Excellent article, though, I didn't realize there were so many different ones!
Thank you!
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

January 18, 2008
8:43 PM

Post #4421559

Geoff, absolutely fascinating! It seems as though I have had one or two of these everywhere I have ever lived. I have a large pot of trifasciata outdoors now that is in desperate need of division and repotting...I am working my way towards it, ( with the severe winds we have had lately - everything needs work!). I am concerned though with browning tips on the you know what may cause this? Is it just the overcrowding, or is there something else at work here? What would you suggest I do to correct the problem?

Thanks for the beautiful article, and any help you may be able to give.

Acton, CA
(Zone 8b)

January 19, 2008
2:58 AM

Post #4423050

it may be in the overcrowding the roots are staying too moist... dividing them might be a good idea.
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 19, 2008
3:36 AM

Post #4423189

I had no idea there were so many different ones. Thanks for the info, and for all the wonderful pictures! I didn't know there were cactus shows--I will certainly contact the local cactus and succulent society to find out when and where the next one is, as I always loved these plants.
Wheatfield, NY
(Zone 6a)

January 19, 2008
5:14 AM

Post #4423457

Geoff, thanks for the wealth of information. I only have 2, but I love them and long for more. I am very interested to see all the different varieties. You can be sure I will shopping soon.
(Terri ) South Bosto, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 19, 2008
9:38 AM

Post #4423759

My Sansevieras hardly fill the pot, they just sit there in the potting soil but never dig their roots in and sometimes they just fall over when I water them. Maybe the soil dries out too fast? I admit I don't water them to the point of saturation but you would think they'd at least hold on after being in the pot for 3 months!

Acton, CA
(Zone 8b)

January 19, 2008
4:02 PM

Post #4424577

Try dumping out the soil, adding some new soil, this time with at least 50% pumice added (up to 90%) and keep as warm as possible. They should root quickly. Try NOT to water them at all until spring.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Introduction of Sansevierias, One of the Premiere Houseplants Available Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
sansevieria 9343 0 Feb 23, 2008 4:18 PM
where can i buy rare sansevieria? kuancy3304 4 Aug 28, 2011 2:40 PM
Possible walking cylindrica? Moonshiner 1 Mar 3, 2009 10:05 PM
Great article fierynature 0 Oct 28, 2009 3:55 PM
Sansevieria article sher_pineislnd 1 Sep 2, 2013 2:47 PM

Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2015 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America