Photo by Melody

Article: Introduction of Sansevierias, One of the Premiere Houseplants Available: very comprehensive

Communities > Forums > Article: Introduction of Sansevierias, One of the Premiere Houseplants Available
bookmark
Forum: Article: Introduction of Sansevierias, One of the Premiere Houseplants AvailableReplies: 7, Views: 60
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Dutchlady1
Naples, FL
(Zone 10a)

January 18, 2008
11:25 AM

Post #4419307

I have the good fortune to live near one of the premier growers of this plant so I have been exposed to most of these varieties. It's nice to see them all listed comprehensively here. Thanks for the great article.
dragonfly53
(Terri )South Boston, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 18, 2008
1:47 PM

Post #4419596

I have to confess, I'm a sanseviera murderer! I just can't keep them happy, and I have one now that is dying a very slow death. Excellent article, though, I didn't realize there were so many different ones!
Thank you!
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

January 18, 2008
8:43 PM

Post #4421559

Geoff, absolutely fascinating! It seems as though I have had one or two of these everywhere I have ever lived. I have a large pot of trifasciata outdoors now that is in desperate need of division and repotting...I am working my way towards it, ( with the severe winds we have had lately - everything needs work!). I am concerned though with browning tips on the blades...do you know what may cause this? Is it just the overcrowding, or is there something else at work here? What would you suggest I do to correct the problem?

Thanks for the beautiful article, and any help you may be able to give.

Yokwe,
Shari

palmbob

palmbob
Acton, CA
(Zone 8b)

January 19, 2008
2:58 AM

Post #4423050

it may be in the overcrowding the roots are staying too moist... dividing them might be a good idea.
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 19, 2008
3:36 AM

Post #4423189

I had no idea there were so many different ones. Thanks for the info, and for all the wonderful pictures! I didn't know there were cactus shows--I will certainly contact the local cactus and succulent society to find out when and where the next one is, as I always loved these plants.
grampapa
Wheatfield, NY
(Zone 6a)

January 19, 2008
5:14 AM

Post #4423457

Geoff, thanks for the wealth of information. I only have 2, but I love them and long for more. I am very interested to see all the different varieties. You can be sure I will shopping soon.
dragonfly53
(Terri )South Boston, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 19, 2008
9:38 AM

Post #4423759

My Sansevieras hardly fill the pot, they just sit there in the potting soil but never dig their roots in and sometimes they just fall over when I water them. Maybe the soil dries out too fast? I admit I don't water them to the point of saturation but you would think they'd at least hold on after being in the pot for 3 months!

palmbob

palmbob
Acton, CA
(Zone 8b)

January 19, 2008
4:02 PM

Post #4424577

Try dumping out the soil, adding some new soil, this time with at least 50% pumice added (up to 90%) and keep as warm as possible. They should root quickly. Try NOT to water them at all until spring.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Introduction of Sansevierias, One of the Premiere Houseplants Available Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
sansevieria 9343 0 Feb 23, 2008 4:18 PM
where can i buy rare sansevieria? kuancy3304 4 Aug 28, 2011 2:40 PM
Possible walking cylindrica? Moonshiner 1 Mar 3, 2009 10:05 PM
Great article fierynature 0 Oct 28, 2009 3:55 PM
Sansevieria article sher_pineislnd 1 Sep 2, 2013 2:47 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America