Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Article: Amaryllis 101: Caring for Amaryllis Plants and Making Your Amaryllis Bloom Again Next Year: fertilizer

Communities > Forums > Article: Amaryllis 101: Caring for Amaryllis Plants and Making Your Amaryllis Bloom Again Next Year
bookmark
Forum: Article: Amaryllis 101: Caring for Amaryllis Plants and Making Your Amaryllis Bloom Again Next YearReplies: 4, Views: 66
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 18, 2008
7:33 PM

Post #4421294

Oh Critter, you font of wisdom: I am growing (for the first time) amaryllises that I over-summered. Should I be fertilizing them now, or should I wait until the blooms end and they are outdoors in the sun.

(Great articles, by the way!!!)
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

January 18, 2008
9:09 PM

Post #4421656

As soon as they have foliage, they'd probably appreciate fertilizer. There's no need to wait until they're outside for the summer. Fertilize them while you continue growing them inside; treat them like a houseplant. I add time-release fertilizer to my potting mix, and when I water sometimes I also add water-soluble fertilizer at about 1/4 strength.

I'm glad you're having fun with your amaryllis bulbs!
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 18, 2008
10:27 PM

Post #4421943

But should I fertilize them before they bud up? Or while they are flowering?
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

January 18, 2008
10:34 PM

Post #4421966

I'd wait until they're done flowering and have started putting up leaves. As I understand it, the flowers and the energy to put them up are already present in the bulb. I don't think it'll help to add fertilizer until leaves are present to make more food that can be stored in the bulb.
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 18, 2008
10:35 PM

Post #4421967

Ok, thanks!!!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Amaryllis 101: Caring for Amaryllis Plants and Making Your Amaryllis Bloom Again Next Year Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Interesting artical terriculture 13 Jan 22, 2008 4:54 PM
in ground LouC 11 Jan 12, 2012 1:45 PM
amaryllis fergie50 1 Feb 12, 2008 3:41 PM
won't bloom outdoors?! sheersheri 5 May 14, 2008 3:53 AM
amaryllis vandal!! lnorris 1 May 13, 2008 4:05 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America