AuthorContent

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 19, 2008
2:05 PM

Post #4424077

I thoroughly enjoyed the article. I had no idea how much analysis and technology went into milk production. Your cow stories are very cute, too.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

January 19, 2008
2:27 PM

Post #4424131

Hey, Kathleen! I loved your article. I knew there was a lot to marketing milk but had no real idea just how much. (and I was kinda looking for a cow poem at the end, lol)
langbr
Olathe, KS
(Zone 6a)

January 19, 2008
3:33 PM

Post #4424449

Goodness gracious, I had no idea! You really made the dairy business come alive, both from it's technical side and the human...errrrr...cow side. I think I knew Ger and Cranberry in high school. Thanx for an entertaining read.
Dea
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6a)

January 19, 2008
5:00 PM

Post #4424820

Really informative and entertaining article Kathleen; what a great read :)

Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

January 19, 2008
8:31 PM

Post #4425693

Much more fun than watching "Barn Yard". Thanks for the glimpse into another way of life.

Yokwe,
Shari
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

January 20, 2008
12:56 AM

Post #4426810

I wish we had more dairy farms around here. But most have gone out of business. :~(

Thanks for the entertaining article!!
svplantingfool
South Venice, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 20, 2008
3:29 AM

Post #4427423

Great read!
When I was a teenager, I babysat for a little girl whose family owned/ran a dairy farm. I only saw the "glamorous" side, you know, the cute little calves and the yummy "thick" milk (with the cream floating on top, so good with Oreos!). Thanks for an entertaining glimpse into the real daily life, and the antics of the cows.
dellrose
The Ozarks, MO
(Zone 5b)

January 21, 2008
12:30 PM

Post #4432026

After 26 years in the dairy business DH and I hung up the milk machines and retired last year. I still miss it and probably always will but I enjoyed your article and can relate to your delightful article. I also think every herd has the personalities you wrote about. Thank you for the walk down memory lane,

Rose
Kathleen
Panama, NY
(Zone 5a)

January 21, 2008
12:51 PM

Post #4432078

Thank you all for you kind words.

darius, I'll dmail you one.

Rose, we're getting to the age when retirement isn't so far away and there are people who think I want Stan to hang up the milkers now, but I know how hard it's going to be. I am not actively involved anymore because of health issues, but I still go out and "visit" occasionally and I know when the girls are gone, I'm going to miss them.
dellrose
The Ozarks, MO
(Zone 5b)

January 21, 2008
1:08 PM

Post #4432114

It is a difficult transition from being a dairy farmer to being a "civilian"! You not only quit your job you change your whole way of life! Thankfully I discovered gardening and birdwatching and have a whole new world to look forward to. Now, instead of going out and checking on the livestock at the crack of dawn I check the bird feeders and waterers, in the spring I will be checking for seedlings and in the summer all the beautiful blooms from those seedlings! This is a new stage in my life and one that I am enjoying more than I ever thought I could without the "girls"! DH also finally has the time and energy to "piddle" around the farm and the shop so it has become a "win-win" situation.

It also helped that we kept 16 heifers to raise and breed so we still have some black and whites in the pasture. Ah...life is good!!

Rose
Horseshoe
Efland, NC
(Zone 7a)

January 21, 2008
6:34 PM

Post #4433530

Nice bit of writing, Kathleen! Was right there with ya! (I rode an old scrub cow once, as a boy...learned not to do that again!)

I hope you always have some cows on your property, I can't imagine ya'll not.

Thanks for sharing!

Shoe
Kathleen
Panama, NY
(Zone 5a)

January 21, 2008
9:21 PM

Post #4434310

hey Shoe, not a noble steed, that's for sure. Where you been hiding?
mommis56
Alden, MN

January 21, 2008
10:07 PM

Post #4434544

Greetings from an old ex-dairyfarmers wife in Minnesota. Wonderful stories and so true. We had a holstein heifer named Candy that was a 4H calf, big, rangy and mean. My daughter put her fingers in Candy's mouth to keep her quiet while the judge looked at her and the darned cow mauled her fingers but good. Got a red ribbon too! Sometimes there is just no justice. Keep up the great stories.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: A Dairy Farmer's Journal: Cows Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Love your article doccat5 2 Jul 20, 2009 8:24 PM
so true! blue_eyes 0 Jan 19, 2008 3:10 PM
Memories! DianeEG 2 Jan 26, 2008 2:47 AM
Great Article KathyJo 2 Jan 23, 2008 7:20 PM
Fun & Interesting Story! Petalpants 1 Jul 14, 2009 5:43 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America