Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Beginner Vegetables: What's the Hottest Pepper?

Communities > Forums > Beginner Vegetables
bookmark
Forum: Beginner VegetablesReplies: 8, Views: 121
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Chickadee12
Brookfield, CT
(Zone 5b)

January 19, 2008
10:45 PM

Post #4426198

I'd like to try and grow some peppers this year. My dad and my brother both love hot foods, they even make their own marinade for hot chicken wings. As for me, some barbecue sauces can be 'hot' enough for me to not like them. I would love to find something that they can't handle.

So what would you guys say is the hottest pepper out there?
Farmerdill
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

January 20, 2008
7:01 PM

Post #4429311

It is still debated, but Bhut Jolokia (an Indian pepper) has replaced Red Savina ( a habernero) in the Guiness Book of Records. Advocates of Tepin ( a wild desert bird pepper) and other Indian peppers like Naga Jolokia and Dorset Naga have not given up. They are all too hot for ordinary humans.
Antoinine
Cleveland Heights, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 20, 2008
7:23 PM

Post #4429386

I grew Jamaican Scotch Bonnets one year and my grandson called them "burn your face off" peppers.
David_Paul
Clinton, CT
(Zone 6b)

January 23, 2008
7:17 AM

Post #4441790

Supermarket in town remodeled and has more of a pepper display now. Haberneros are $8.99 a pound! Quite a few in a pound but still, what a price. Even hum-ho banana peppers are $3.49. Prices don't drop here much or any in the summer either (tourist season).

The Chile Institute at New Mexico University has Bhut Jolokia seeds:

http://www.chilepepperinstitute.org/

Chickadee12
Brookfield, CT
(Zone 5b)

January 23, 2008
9:26 PM

Post #4444019

Thanks everyone for your input.
I look forward to seeing how this is going to work out.
Nicole
David_Paul
Clinton, CT
(Zone 6b)

January 23, 2008
9:44 PM

Post #4444089

Called up the Chile Institute this afternoon and ordered Bhut Jolokia seeds. The woman told me their germination rate is 77% at 80 to 90 degrees and can take up 58 (or 57) days. Committed to it now but I wonder if I'll end up ordering a few Bhut Jolokia seedlings come May.
Dean_W
Central Texas, TX
(Zone 8b)

February 7, 2008
5:14 PM

Post #4507452

Wow! The Bhut Jolakia seeds can take a while to germinate! Good luck, David!
Debary, FL

February 9, 2008
2:56 PM

Post #4515437

Well I am sure that you can google it in and find out more.

I was in the store the other day and they told me what the hottest pepper was but i can not remember.

Sorry.

Hope you find out.
Dorkasaurus
Albuquerque, NM
(Zone 7a)

February 21, 2008
4:12 AM

Post #4567119

I'm a little late to post but Bhut Jolokia is currently considered the hottest, and is easily twice as hot as Red Savina (a habanero variety that is about 10 times hotter than a "normal" orange habanero you'd find in a grocery store). I grew (or tried to grow) Bhut Jolokia last year but I was container growing and only had one produce fruit. What little fruit I did get was mind blowingly hot though. So far the hottest peppers I've tried are scotch bonnets and bhut jolokia but habaneros are no slouch either. (I like to eat "burn your face off" peppers now and then...you get a nice buzz off all the endorphins and adrenalin you body releases because it thinks you're self immolating)

And to David_Paul: I live in pepper land, and love hot peppers. I have a much higher tolerance for heat than most of the natives here in New Mexico (I'm a pasty white gringo) and I promise you nobody needs a pound of habaneros for personal use. A single habanero would make a gallon of chili hotter than most people would even consider eating a bowl of. Oh, and OUCH at $8.99 a pound. Fortunately I live in the right place for chile peppers...habs are $3.99/lb and fresh Jalapenos $0.99/lb at my local store and even cheaper at the various fruiterias nearby.

This message was edited Feb 20, 2008 10:17 PM

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Vegetables forum! dave 24 Mar 24, 2013 6:54 PM
Tomato problems jkehl 40 Oct 15, 2010 1:06 PM
starting a vegie garden wilflower 28 May 24, 2012 2:38 PM
Nasturtiums and squash? Terry 41 Mar 24, 2007 8:07 PM
Bees Please jkehl 95 Apr 7, 2013 7:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America