Photo by Melody

Antiques and Collectibles: How to store old books?

Communities > Forums > Antiques and Collectibles
bookmark
Forum: Antiques and CollectiblesReplies: 13, Views: 83
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
plpinfleming
Fleming, OH

January 19, 2008
10:56 PM

Post #4426253

I have some very old books stored in a trunk in the basement...pages are very fragile and a little on the musty side. I'm sure that there is a better way to store them for preservation than the above mentioned method. I also have some old (early 1900's) Ladies Home Journal magazines in a box...again, I'm sure there is a better way to keep them.
I've decided this would be a good winter project to get these things organized.
If anyone has any expertise on this, I would love to hear from you!

Thanks!
MitchF
Lindsay, OK
(Zone 7a)

January 20, 2008
9:42 PM

Post #4429904

All my old books are on shevles, in a central room out of direct sunlight. With them being musty I would let them set out and dry for a while before I added them into the shelves. I keep books from the 1700s to 1900 and keep them all on shelves, with doors if I can but all shelved.
plpinfleming
Fleming, OH

January 21, 2008
1:55 PM

Post #4432224

Hi MitchF,
Thanks for your reply. That would probably be the best thing to do with them, unfortunately I'm in the 'gathering up' and 'putting away' mode. I'm starting to round up some things around here that are stashed in numerous places thru the house and put them in one place for the next generation - who probably won't have any use for them for the next 20-30 yrs. Sort of like a time capsule. That way, if I bite the dust, these things will be together and he'll know not to get rid of them.
One particular book that I brought upstairs is the "Historical Collections of Ohio - and encyclopedia of the state". It has a lot of information and drawn pics of the people, places and happenings of each county in Ohio. Copyright is 1888 and the second date, 1902, I assume is the published date. The rest of the collection are mostly small school books used around 1900.
I also have the whole newspapers saved from Nov 23-25, 1963 and July 21, 1969. I'm wondering what would be the best method to store these?
As far as the books are concerned, I've considered wrapping them individually with newspaper or maybe brown paper bags?? I know plastic is a no no.
The rest are just a lot of crazy little things that probably have some value and some that don't - to anyone else but him - some day:-)

Thanks again,
Peggy
MitchF
Lindsay, OK
(Zone 7a)

January 21, 2008
3:53 PM

Post #4432750

I would not - but then again paper if it is the right paper might be very good to keeping them safe.

Newspapers I have no idea.
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 22, 2008
8:50 PM

Post #4439354

This is only my 2 cents and I intend to do further investigation myself. I inherited many letters, journals and of course the Family Bible with the records of births. The are, as you say, extemely fragile. Presently I have them wrapped in 100% cotton pillow cases. My mother was also the keeper of the quilts and linens and they are to be refolded ever so many months and wrapped in 100% cotton. I keep them also in cabinets with closed doors. Still gets dust. I do know that many other paper/pictures are always to be between acid free paper. Hopefully, google will lead to better instructions. Will be watching to see if anyone else helps with instructions. Glad you have asked the question.

LouC
MitchF
Lindsay, OK
(Zone 7a)

January 22, 2008
8:51 PM

Post #4439361

LouC - that is a great idea, I have never heard of that... we have bought many family bibles from the 1700 and 1800 online for 20-100 dollars, that would be a wonderful way to keep them.
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 22, 2008
8:58 PM

Post #4439393

learned from my mother. Seems she really did know everything. I'll tell her that someday.
plpinfleming
Fleming, OH

January 22, 2008
9:21 PM

Post #4439487

Thanks Mitch and Lou...
Cotton - that's an interesting idea. I was going to run out to the local library and see what thoughts they had on the subject. Got sidetracked by other things - one being that annoying white stuff - better known as snow! YUCK Might wait till I can go the the big library in town and talk to someone in the historical dept.
You mentioned quilts - my aunt (the lifelong quilter in the family) would fold her quilts in half long ways and roll them in either batting or a sheet to store them. And ever so often, reverse to folding them in half sideways.
Will let you know what I find out from the library.
Peggy
MitchF
Lindsay, OK
(Zone 7a)

January 22, 2008
9:23 PM

Post #4439496

Great - cannot wait to find out.
plpinfleming
Fleming, OH

January 24, 2008
7:26 PM

Post #4448102

Hi All,
Just spoke to the fellow that's in charge of the library's history and geneology dept. He recommends storing them in acid free boxes (he gave me a list of companies if anyone is interested), or wrapping them in acid free paper or 100% cotton. So, that's the scoop. And of course storing them in a place that would be suited to human beings - no basements, no attics.

FYI - I also inquired about having the covers fixed on a couple of them, as they have come loose. He said there wasn't really anyone around here that could do it. There are some publishing companies that would, but for a single book - we'd be talking in upwards of a $100.00. Just thought I'd throw that in:-)
Peggy
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 24, 2008
7:37 PM

Post #4448143

Seems my little mother was correct about the cotton. Don't know how she learned so much about so many things. Sure wish I still had her to ask.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

January 24, 2008
7:54 PM

Post #4448233

Hi everyone I store my valuable books and newspapers ( some from World War 2) newspapers collected on the birthday of each grandchild etc all in cedar trunks, they remain exactly as placed with the added bonus of a nice fragrance,I don't know how expensive those trunks are to buy thse days but They used to be very reasonable.I bought 3 large ones in 1972 (beautifully carved) for only about 300.00 and anything in them remains in perfect condition ...just a thought.
Wonderful to hear your thoughts on these things.
chrissy
MitchF
Lindsay, OK
(Zone 7a)

January 24, 2008
8:13 PM

Post #4448286

cotton - who knew, wonderful to know.

the trunks with all the papers we have here would fill the house I fear.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

January 25, 2008
12:02 AM

Post #4449252

aaaah I know what you mean, ;)

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Antiques and Collectibles Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Sampler 1801 Ginger_H 7 Aug 20, 2012 2:34 PM
mingmimi justmeLisa 6 Oct 20, 2007 11:51 AM
Wintermoor what is this? justmeLisa 7 Oct 1, 2011 7:20 PM
Do you collect Depression Glass? What pattern? bluegrassmom 82 Apr 11, 2011 10:14 PM
What do you consider your best "collectible/antique" find? nminmd 142 May 6, 2012 3:43 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America