Photo by Melody

Article: Celery - history, uses, benefits and growing tips: Another excellent article

Communities > Forums > Article: Celery - history, uses, benefits and growing tips
bookmark
Forum: Article: Celery - history, uses, benefits and growing tipsReplies: 11, Views: 61
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
vossner
Richmond, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 20, 2008
3:29 PM

Post #4428447

Hetti, another good one. Thanks. I always keep celeriac in the spice rack, never thought about looking for the root at the store. Thanks for enlightning me--I will look for it.

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

January 20, 2008
4:19 PM

Post #4428630

My Norwegian friend was shocked when she could not buy celery root here in our rural supermarkets. She was going to prepare a certain dish for a family meal and needed celery root. It was absolutely astonishing to her that we don't use it.
Dea
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6a)

January 20, 2008
8:48 PM

Post #4429675

We've tried several times to grow our own with not great results. Your article gave me some hints - we'll give it a try again!

The leaves are so much a part of my homemade chicken stock, gotta figure this out.
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

January 20, 2008
10:28 PM

Post #4430106

Hetty - what great information! I use all parts of celery, in many different ways, but never even considered the root! I will be on the lookout for sure. Thanks for the eye opening article!

Yokwe,
Shari

onewish1

onewish1
Denville, NJ
(Zone 6b)

November 20, 2010
6:48 AM

Post #8221569

thanks for the great info... I enjoyed reading this article
gloria125
Greensboro, AL

November 20, 2010
7:21 AM

Post #8221612

Thanks Dutchlady. I haven't tried to grow celery in a while and there are so many types not available in markets. I love to chop it up and dry in a dehydrator. I keep the dried celery in zip locks in the freezer -- along with leeks, mushrooms, parsley for soups all winter.

GardenQuilts
Pocono Mountains, PA
(Zone 6a)

November 20, 2010
2:29 PM

Post #8222173

My Norwegian grandmother used to use celery seeds when she couldn't find the roots. She spent most of her life in NYC where there were more ethnic markets. Luckily, more grocery stores are carrying a wider variety of items, but the "unusual" items are still pricey. I wonder what the celery growers do with all of their roots?
jazzy1okc
Oklahoma City, OK

November 22, 2010
4:25 AM

Post #8224672

I've seen the root in the stores and didn't have the foggiest notion what to do with it.
The next time I see it in a store, I'm buying one!
Great article.
Next time please include one of your tried and true recipes!
reescowden
North Palm Beach, FL

November 22, 2010
6:00 AM

Post #8224853

I recently moved to south France and in the vegetable section of the local market one day I saw an elderly woman pulling all the stalks off a clump of celery, just leaving the crown and a young leaf or two. We ended up in line together and the checkout girl didn't say a word. I guess I'll plant some of my own and give the roots a try...
Reees
albionwood
Albion, CA

November 22, 2010
4:57 PM

Post #8225891

My first attempts at growing celery were not promising: narrow, bitter stalks, uneven growth. Now I get huge plants with thick, succulent stalks and wonderful sweet flavor. It took a while to catch on to what they mean by "heavy feeder" - now I give the young plants a dose of fish emulsion about once a week or so, in soil that has already been heavily amended with rock phosphate, greensand, and organic matter. And I plant in summer, for fall/winter harvest. I'll have to try Celeriac next year.
jazzy1okc
Oklahoma City, OK

November 27, 2010
6:21 AM

Post #8232431

I have a question.
If left in the ground in warmer climates where the soil doesn't freeze, would celeriac root put up new stalks each year?
gloria125
Greensboro, AL

November 27, 2010
7:36 AM

Post #8232525

http://www.gardenaction.co.uk/fruit_veg_diary/celeriac-grow.asp

Here is a primer on growing celeriac from the uk. It looks like its seed grown. Its a close relative of wild celery which grows in N. Europe.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Celery - history, uses, benefits and growing tips Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Hooray for celeriac! LarryR 2 Jan 22, 2008 11:00 AM
a very good article who love good food hanumanth 1 Jan 23, 2008 10:47 AM
Good article on celery and celeriac CLScott 0 Nov 22, 2010 9:24 AM
celeriac goldie77 0 Nov 22, 2010 12:54 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America