Photo by Melody

Article: Getting To The Root Of Things. The Sweet Potato: Its History, Uses, and Culture: Beauregard vs Vardeman

Communities > Forums > Article: Getting To The Root Of Things. The Sweet Potato: Its History, Uses, and Culture
bookmark
Forum: Article: Getting To The Root Of Things. The Sweet Potato: Its History, Uses, and CultureReplies: 0, Views: 68
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
dirtytoes
Shelbyville, KY
(Zone 5a)

January 20, 2008
4:22 PM

Post #4428655

We live in Shelby County, Kentucky.

This last year we grew both Vardeman, which we bought, and a few Beauregard from some slips I grew from a Beauregard which we grew in 2006. The Vardeman were all fairy thin, badly kinked, deformed and scabed. The Beauregard were very large, and the skin was smooth. No scabbing. They were grown together in the same area, but they sure don't look or taste the same. We did irrigate because of the drought. Our main problem in both of the last two years was voles eating the potatoes before we got them dug.

We love baked sweet potatoes all year long, and I think the flavor is better when baked rather than microwaved or boiled, which is the way I used to cook them. The flavor of the Beauregard flesh is tops and it seems to cook faster than the Vardeman, plus I think it is more moist, so moist that we eat them without any additions.

Thanks for the great article. Enjoyed the feedback, and would love to know how others fare with growing Vardeman this year.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Getting To The Root Of Things. The Sweet Potato: Its History, Uses, and Culture Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Love those Sweet Potatoes! cathy4 40 Oct 21, 2012 7:43 PM
SWEET POTATO or KUMERA Fangionz 3 Oct 16, 2012 6:10 AM
Beaureguard potatoes grandpagrandma 1 Feb 23, 2010 1:30 PM
Are my "pot-plants" ok to eat? binibusybee 1 Nov 1, 2010 5:46 AM
Roasted roots kiseta 1 Oct 12, 2012 7:48 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America