Photo by Melody

Heirloom Vegetables: On the subject of the Seed Savers Exchange...

Communities > Forums > Heirloom Vegetables
bookmark
Forum: Heirloom VegetablesReplies: 4, Views: 426
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
dave

January 20, 2008
4:48 PM

Post #4428794

This thread was pointed out to me this morning:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/805102/

I want to be clear that discussion of the matter on DG is fine, but I don't want this to spill over into the other forums here, and I also don't want people to start an angry mob of attacks. That's not what DG is about.

There are obviously two sides to this story and I doubt that we will all ever know exactly what happened. Let's just remember that, and keep the conversation civil.

Dave
Yuska
San Antonio, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 20, 2008
5:43 PM

Post #4429026

Agreed, Dave. Those of us who have watched - and participated in even small ways - the remarkable growth and accomplishments of this unique organization wish for its strong commitment to continue into the long future. That one of its founders has had to step aside is sad and lamentable, but no one is indispensable. Yuska
Sequee
Carmel, NY
(Zone 6b)

January 20, 2008
6:27 PM

Post #4429186

Agreed - every coin has 2 sides.

I think we are all just hopng and praying that the integrity of the Heirloom Seeds they so wonderfully preserve remain intact. I have enjoyed so many wonderful varieties through their efforts, that I might not have been able to try, and ultimately save.

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

January 20, 2008
9:19 PM

Post #4429791

My thoughts exactly. We will never know what actually happened, but the preservation of our agricultural heritage is the most important thing. There are hurt people on both sides of the matter, and that is tragic. What would be more tragic is to withdraw our support at this time.

I went ahead renewed my membership last year knowing that there was a major shake up in the works. Until there is proof of mis management, it's all I know to do.

I have crossed paths with a few of the people who signed the letters in the above links, and am totally convinced that their dedication to SSE is their one mission. It's all I have to go on at this point, and I have to trust them until proven otherwise.
sanpedro
Espanola, NM
(Zone 6b)

January 21, 2008
4:55 AM

Post #4431638

I agree it is a tragedy in many ways, not least of which are the funds this dispute will siphon from other endeavors.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Heirloom Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Fermentation Brook 56 Oct 13, 2008 10:56 PM
Carolyn, Tell Us Please..... Brook 22 May 19, 2014 7:30 PM
Antique Ornamentals anyone? planman38104 55 Feb 24, 2009 6:05 PM
Does anyone grow Crinums? planman38104 18 May 28, 2008 11:44 PM
Your absolute favorite heirloom tomato Phred 321 Jul 30, 2011 7:54 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America