This is I have no idea wear to ask this question

( Kim) Zion, IL(Zone 5a)

My sister gave me fresh cut Troical Flower Is there any way that I can some way dry them out and get seeds. I am a very bad speller but there is Bird of Paradise,No Idea what the red flower is . And there are some But I can't even come close to spelling
Dimmer( AKA) Kim

Thumbnail by Dimmer
Saint James, MO(Zone 6b)

I don't know much about fresh cut flowers, but you might get lucky and grow some roots if you keep the water changed.

( Kim) Zion, IL(Zone 5a)

Ok I changed the water and I also and some rooting stuff its a gel I just git I cut the bottoms of the stems and let see what will happen
Thanks
KIm

Saint James, MO(Zone 6b)

Well good luck! I am sure someone that knows WAY more than I do will help you out!

Marquette, MI(Zone 5a)

The red flower might be a ginger.

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

I'm afraid I wouldn't expect any seeds. They might have come from a greenhouse and maybe can't get pollinatd. But, keep up the water thing anyway, maybe you will. Let the petals shrivel up and watch for something pod like or seed like....

( Kim) Zion, IL(Zone 5a)

Thanks so much they did come from a green house but it would be cool if I could get some seeds. Thank Kim

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

if not, try Pinetree Seeds for bird of Paradise seeds..

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

When you cut a blooming flower off of a plant, I don't think it'll be able to go on and form seeds, I'm pretty sure it needs to stay attached to the plant in order to do that.

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

I think you're correct, Grannymarsh. I do believe it is ginger. http://www.ktropicals.com/flowers/ginger.shtml Here are more photos. http://www.fotosearch.com/photos-images/ginger-flower.html
I think ecrane is correct. Once a flower is cut, for the most part, it doesn't grow anymore.

( Kim) Zion, IL(Zone 5a)

Thanks for all the infor It wood be nice if you can get seeds
I will keep trying just to see what happend
Dimmer(AKA) Kim

Dallas, TX

Kim, Cut flowers will not make seeds.I have most of them in your pic. and have never made seeds. These tropicals are mostly grown from tubers and dividing the mother plants. The flowers will and last for a very long time, add some 7up to the water.Helps keep them last longer. Jerry

Redondo Beach, CA(Zone 11)

Yeah I think you're both right Granny and Shebs, it's a ginger. Squeeze the flower and there might be the distictive ginger scent.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images