Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Beginner Vegetables: Does anything grow in the desert of New Mexico?

Communities > Forums > Beginner Vegetables
bookmark
Forum: Beginner VegetablesReplies: 6, Views: 105
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
tixydo
Albuquerque, NM

January 20, 2008
11:38 PM

Post #4430406

Hi, I just moved to ABQ and would like to plant a vegetable garden in my backyard. It is mostly dirt and weeds right now. Does anyone know what types of fertilizer are best for desert soil? Also, any suggestions for what grows well in this type of environment? I believe it is a zone 7.

Thanks!!

june_nmexico

june_nmexico
Albuquerque, NM
(Zone 7a)

January 20, 2008
11:47 PM

Post #4430434

Soil in Albuquerque is highly alkaline. As for what grows -- it depends on how much sun, heat, shade, etc. you have in your planting areas and how often you are willing to water. I've given up on most annuals because they fry in our hot sun. We turned most of our yard into Xeric plantings. Rose bushes do well here once you get them established, and I've been fortunate with lavender, rosemary and salvia. Weeds are a big challenge. Every drop of moisture seems to bring three new weeds. ;-)

It's definitely a gardening challenge here.

June
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

January 29, 2008
2:21 AM

Post #4467310

If you can get truck loads of animal manure, add this to your soil as it helps feed, retain moisture to some extent in your heat and make a shaded area going North to South, then you should get some veg to grow, but go for fast maturing types, as if the veg is in the soil too long, then you will need a full time gardener to just water, shade is important as it stops the greenery getting scorched too fast, water last thing at night or very, very early morning before the sun gets too hot. there are a lot of fast maturing veg on the market now, also in Mexico, there are lots of community gardens where neighbourhood families get together to grow food plants so ask around or look up the phone books, these places would be good place to go for advice, good luck. Weenel.
PS, some veg dont like to grow on NEWLY manured soil so look in the library for books on local veg growing.
GrammysGardenAZ
Cochise, AZ
(Zone 8b)

January 29, 2008
2:39 AM

Post #4467472

Go to this page. http://davesgarden.com/member_zip.php Change the zip code to your own. This will give you a list of members and subscribers in your area. Just click the user name to go look at their profiles and choose someone to Dmail and ask for local info.
Dorkasaurus
Albuquerque, NM
(Zone 7a)

February 21, 2008
4:27 AM

Post #4567193

Most veggies will grow here. Things I've grown/witnessed:

Tomatoes,Peppers (peppers love it here),Corn, Okra, Squash, Eggplant, Radishes, Beets, Carrots, Turnips, Asparagus, Cucumbers, Cantaloupe, Pumpkins, Herbs (basil, oregano, cilantro, parsley, rosemary), Onions, Chives, Beans, Peas.

Your soil may need some work. It varies greatly throughout the city from decent to sandy to useless clay but tilling and adding mulch can fix anything. Check out this site for useful information: http://www.abqmastergardeners.org/
vadap
Aurora, CO
(Zone 5b)

March 23, 2008
2:04 AM

Post #4697079

Just came over here to look around and stumbled on this thread. If you want, come on over to the Rocky Mountain Forum. We've got a few members from down your way in Abq and Los Alamos, and all the way to Canada. We all have the same conditions, frigid winters, burning hot summers, worthless soil and no water. Lots of help, advice, and general chit chat. Come on over and say 'hi'.

june_nmexico

june_nmexico
Albuquerque, NM
(Zone 7a)

March 23, 2008
4:28 PM

Post #4699025

Thanks, Vadap. I'll pop into the Rocky Mountain Forum.

June

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Vegetables forum! dave 24 Mar 24, 2013 6:54 PM
Tomato problems jkehl 40 Oct 15, 2010 1:06 PM
starting a vegie garden wilflower 28 May 24, 2012 2:38 PM
Nasturtiums and squash? Terry 41 Mar 24, 2007 8:07 PM
Bees Please jkehl 95 Apr 7, 2013 7:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America