Photo by Melody

Article: Growing Chinese Vegetables in Cool Weather: Thanks!

Communities > Forums > Article: Growing Chinese Vegetables in Cool Weather
bookmark
Forum: Article: Growing Chinese Vegetables in Cool WeatherReplies: 7, Views: 55
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Dea
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6a)

January 21, 2008
12:50 PM

Post #4432072

Very much enjoyed this article and the recipe. I've always said Bok Choy, so I also learned something new :)

Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

January 21, 2008
8:06 PM

Post #4433911

Fascinating Glynis! Thanks for the look into veg from another culture.

Yokwe,
Shari
Fitsy
Hayesville, NC
(Zone 7a)

January 22, 2008
1:42 AM

Post #4435582

Its good to see someone who is excited
about greens! because I am, too!
Thanks for writing about them so delightfully.
Your dinner sounds yummy.
Fitsy

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

January 22, 2008
2:44 AM

Post #4435933

Lovely article... makes me hungry! Plus, I'm planning to do something along the lines of Eliot Coleman so I can grow greens here at least some of the winter and your selections and suggestions sound wonderful.
pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM
(Zone 5a)

November 6, 2009
4:42 PM

Post #7247594

Your greens recipe sounds wonderful and I will definitely try it on my husband. He loves greens and even the more strongly favored ones that are so common in Asian cooking. I will have to leave out the peanut butter, though because he is allergic, but I think the recipe should work well without the peanut butter as well.
I can grow Asian greens in late fall and early spring here, but not in the winter, still they do extend my growing season.
You are so lucky to have had the experience of eating in a real Asian community which cooks real Asian food. I wish we had more of it in the US. I haven't found much real Chinese food here -- most of it is cooked to American taste -- psychedelic sauces and all. But I have found good Korean food -- soondubu, kim chi and other helpful tasty dishes. These restaurants are often sushi places with a few Korean dishes on the menu. Yum!
But we can't eat out all the time. So it is helpful to get some recipes for cooking these authentic and healthful recipes at home.
I thank you so much for posting this and would welcome other recipes and garden suggestions for Asian cooking in the future.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

November 7, 2009
2:21 AM

Post #7249193

I've grown somebody's oriental salad greens mix a couple of times in spring, but the red mustard reseeded a few this summer and they are growing very well now in the fall!.
pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM
(Zone 5a)

November 7, 2009
4:34 AM

Post #7249464

I planted some Japanese red mustard in the bed where my lilies grow. It did very well and has reseeded itself ever year for quite a few years -- perhaps 10. It works nicely with lilies because the come up after the mustard has flourished in the spring. Then when the lilies die down in the late summer, the mustard comes up again. Let me say, that I do let the mustard go to seed each spring and fall. It is a little ratty looking, but ratty enough to stop me.
luv2wok
Dutchess Counnty, NY
(Zone 5a)

November 9, 2009
1:28 PM

Post #7255516

Love your enthusiam about growing Chinese vegetables. Do you grow garlic? If yes, plant the cloves closer than recommended. In the spring, pull out every other plant and use as you would green onion. Better still, if you have a lot, thinly slice and stir fry with meat, poultry or seafood. A special spring treat, one that money cannot buy. Later when the garlic sends out garlic scape, harvest the scape and use in the same manner, yum, yum!!!!! I am looking forward to spring!!!!!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Growing Chinese Vegetables in Cool Weather Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Great Article BronxBoy 3 Nov 6, 2009 4:28 PM
Inspirational joanfav 2 Jan 8, 2011 8:24 PM
Growing Chinese Vegetables in Cool Weath sunpetals 0 Apr 24, 2009 10:30 PM
When to plant sawpalm 0 Nov 16, 2009 8:58 PM
Bok/Pak Choy/Choi albionwood 0 Jan 3, 2011 10:29 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America