Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Article: Hydrangeas…How and Where and What… Part III: Hydrangeas

Communities > Forums > Article: Hydrangeas…How and Where and What… Part III
bookmark
Forum: Article: Hydrangeas…How and Where and What… Part IIIReplies: 6, Views: 97
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
kathi11
Summerville, SC

January 21, 2008
4:22 PM

Post #4432922

I recently moved from Pittsburgh PA to Charleston SC. My neighbor dug up a Hydrangea from my old home and put the roots in a plastic bag and mailed it to me. I planted it in August and it took and got new leaves . I'm hoping it will bloom this summer. They must be hardy.

This message was edited Jan 21, 2008 11:23 AM
soapwort243
South Milwaukee, WI

January 22, 2008
12:09 AM

Post #4435079

I found them to be hardy also. I was given a piece of root and it grew very well. I put it in a shady corner of the house and it's spreading. I appreciate the step by step, clear instructions in this article because I wasn't aware they will root from a stem. I enjoyed all three hydrangeas articles.
LilBud
Schaumburg, IL

February 22, 2009
4:52 PM

Post #6173670

I've looked around and found it hard to determine which kind of hydrangeas are hardy in zone 5. I love the look of lacecaps, but from what I've read it seems that they may be hardy only in zone 6 and further south. Is my understanding correct? I believe I can grow panniculata in zone 5 with no problem. Could I possibly grow a lacecap in zone 5 if I planted it close to the house? Has anyone had any success with lacecaps in zone 5? Thanks!

paulgrow

paulgrow
Allen Park, MI
(Zone 6a)

February 22, 2009
5:34 PM

Post #6173870

I would give it a try. Just mulch them well in the fall.

I have several and they do fine.

Try one and if they do ok you can plant more.
gingcop
Wappingers Falls, NY

March 2, 2009
12:58 PM

Post #6210139

I planted 3 annabelle hydrangeas in a semi-shady location in my yard along the fence. I was afraid to prune them or do anything to them because they grew so beautifully. I can't believe they held onto their dead flowers all winter long. My questions is: do I cut those flowers off this spring to get better blooms on the bushes or should I have cut them off in the fall? don't want to do anything to harm these beauties.
Also, mine are pink and I really would love them to be blue. Can I add something to the soil in the spring to change the color?
camerrell
Nicholasville, KY

July 16, 2009
5:08 PM

Post #6826952

I have recently discovered Hydrangea propagation (july 09) and have moved my first starts from sand to a small container with potting mix.

My question is ... If I put them in the ground, say in August, keep them well watered, will they survive the winter in Zone 6A. I thought I would use your suggestion on covering with leaves to help protect them.

Or should I just keep them inside all winter in pots (not my favorite idea tho).

Thanks, Cheryl in Kentucky

paulgrow

paulgrow
Allen Park, MI
(Zone 6a)

July 16, 2009
5:41 PM

Post #6827076

I would think they would do ok, mulch them heavily and maybe jeep a couple inside just in case.

Paul

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Hydrangeas…How and Where and What… Part III Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Great article doccat5 3 Jan 22, 2008 1:18 AM
Rit Dye? unajardinera 1 Jan 26, 2008 10:34 PM
Young hydrangea plants momof2labs 0 Sep 2, 2008 10:58 PM
Afternoon semi shade VirginiaMG 1 Apr 22, 2009 5:38 PM
ES Hydrangea not growing very large sweetpotatojack 0 May 17, 2009 8:22 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America