Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Article: Hydrangeas…How and Where and What… Part III: Hydrangeas

Communities > Forums > Article: Hydrangeas…How and Where and What… Part III
bookmark
Forum: Article: Hydrangeas…How and Where and What… Part IIIReplies: 6, Views: 97
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
kathi11
Summerville, SC

January 21, 2008
4:22 PM

Post #4432922

I recently moved from Pittsburgh PA to Charleston SC. My neighbor dug up a Hydrangea from my old home and put the roots in a plastic bag and mailed it to me. I planted it in August and it took and got new leaves . I'm hoping it will bloom this summer. They must be hardy.

This message was edited Jan 21, 2008 11:23 AM
soapwort243
South Milwaukee, WI

January 22, 2008
12:09 AM

Post #4435079

I found them to be hardy also. I was given a piece of root and it grew very well. I put it in a shady corner of the house and it's spreading. I appreciate the step by step, clear instructions in this article because I wasn't aware they will root from a stem. I enjoyed all three hydrangeas articles.
LilBud
Schaumburg, IL

February 22, 2009
4:52 PM

Post #6173670

I've looked around and found it hard to determine which kind of hydrangeas are hardy in zone 5. I love the look of lacecaps, but from what I've read it seems that they may be hardy only in zone 6 and further south. Is my understanding correct? I believe I can grow panniculata in zone 5 with no problem. Could I possibly grow a lacecap in zone 5 if I planted it close to the house? Has anyone had any success with lacecaps in zone 5? Thanks!

paulgrow

paulgrow
Allen Park, MI
(Zone 6a)

February 22, 2009
5:34 PM

Post #6173870

I would give it a try. Just mulch them well in the fall.

I have several and they do fine.

Try one and if they do ok you can plant more.
gingcop
Wappingers Falls, NY

March 2, 2009
12:58 PM

Post #6210139

I planted 3 annabelle hydrangeas in a semi-shady location in my yard along the fence. I was afraid to prune them or do anything to them because they grew so beautifully. I can't believe they held onto their dead flowers all winter long. My questions is: do I cut those flowers off this spring to get better blooms on the bushes or should I have cut them off in the fall? don't want to do anything to harm these beauties.
Also, mine are pink and I really would love them to be blue. Can I add something to the soil in the spring to change the color?
camerrell
Nicholasville, KY

July 16, 2009
5:08 PM

Post #6826952

I have recently discovered Hydrangea propagation (july 09) and have moved my first starts from sand to a small container with potting mix.

My question is ... If I put them in the ground, say in August, keep them well watered, will they survive the winter in Zone 6A. I thought I would use your suggestion on covering with leaves to help protect them.

Or should I just keep them inside all winter in pots (not my favorite idea tho).

Thanks, Cheryl in Kentucky

paulgrow

paulgrow
Allen Park, MI
(Zone 6a)

July 16, 2009
5:41 PM

Post #6827076

I would think they would do ok, mulch them heavily and maybe jeep a couple inside just in case.

Paul

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Hydrangeas…How and Where and What… Part III Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Great article doccat5 3 Jan 22, 2008 1:18 AM
Rit Dye? unajardinera 1 Jan 26, 2008 10:34 PM
Young hydrangea plants momof2labs 0 Sep 2, 2008 10:58 PM
Afternoon semi shade VirginiaMG 1 Apr 22, 2009 5:38 PM
ES Hydrangea not growing very large sweetpotatojack 0 May 17, 2009 8:22 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America