AuthorContent
banzaibetty
Kootenays
Canada

January 21, 2008
6:15 PM

Post #4433451

Tooo funny!
At least you still have a sense of humour regarding this very aggravating subject.
The deer here are constantly nibbling and munching (in the wee hours so I only see the evidence - droppings, tracks, and destroyed plants...)
Can't wait till the elk make their migratory stroll through here. Yikes. They can strip a garden down to the soil and can be aggressive as well.

victorgardener

victorgardener
Lower Hudson Valley, NY
(Zone 6b)

January 21, 2008
6:26 PM

Post #4433501

Thank you. I feel for you with the elk too! I strolled around yesterday and found poop and nibbling evidence. Sprayed the whole garden afterward.
vsweet
Sparta, NJ
(Zone 6a)

August 26, 2008
7:20 PM

Post #5470834

I love the deranged dash. We've tried it many times at our house. Just last night my husband, made a dash at deer, flailing his briefcase at them as they ate the new tree in our yard that's not even planted yet!

I've resorted to fencing the back yard so that I can garden in peace. I must admit that it's only 6 feet high, but so far so good, except when the landscapers left the gate open! It took me all day to calm down after the damage wrought by the Bambi and his family. We have only a few fenced yards in our neighborhood which the deer seem not to jump as there is plenty of other delights for them in the neighborhood.

I have tried all sorts of deer repellent with various success. Mostly, if it's your turn, then they are going to eat no matter what you've done. A friend of mine told me "Oh they never eat that." Lo and behold, our deer have not heard that and they are munching happily on things they are not supposed to eat. I've resorted to replacing the eaten plants with those they have not eaten. My herb garden is thriving. They tried the oregano when I first planted it, but thought better of it, I suppose. The thyme, rosemary, and lavender are doing well.

victorgardener

victorgardener
Lower Hudson Valley, NY
(Zone 6b)

August 26, 2008
7:57 PM

Post #5470928

They don't follow rules! However, there are plants that you will have better odds with, including herbs.
billgrubbs
Kaysville, UT
(Zone 5a)

October 21, 2008
3:55 PM

Post #5699337

I have problems with deer also. I find all the fencing options very expensive. If I build a fence by just running a tight strand of wire at 2, 4, 6, and 8 feet will the deer go through it? Surely someone has tried this already and found out if it works.

victorgardener

victorgardener
Lower Hudson Valley, NY
(Zone 6b)

October 21, 2008
4:04 PM

Post #5699378

I never tried, it but it's worth a shot. Have you priced the plastic mesh type?
billgrubbs
Kaysville, UT
(Zone 5a)

October 21, 2008
10:04 PM

Post #5700843

That is my next alternative if the wire won't work. I am trying to keep the expense down. I plan to fence in about a 75' by 30' garden.
billgrubbs
Kaysville, UT
(Zone 5a)

March 2, 2009
10:30 PM

Post #6212778

Has anyone tried an electric fence to keep deer out? We don't have power to the property where the garden is so it would have to be battery operated.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Bamboozling Bambi Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Educational humor! Sharran 18 Jan 18, 2008 5:58 AM
No white picket fence for me! Dea 1 Jan 17, 2008 9:09 PM
Great! Jax4ever 1 Jan 18, 2008 2:30 AM
Great article! lalushc 1 Jan 21, 2008 3:48 PM
Deer Resistant Plants DeborahLink 4 Dec 21, 2012 7:30 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America