Photo by Melody

Article: A Dairy Farmer's Journal: Cows: Memories!

Communities > Forums > Article: A Dairy Farmer's Journal: Cows
bookmark
Forum: Article: A Dairy Farmer's Journal: CowsReplies: 2, Views: 22
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
DianeEG
Galva, IL

January 21, 2008
6:33 PM

Post #4433529

I was raised on a cattle/hog farm in Indiana and we had one milk cow for our own use. She had "personality". My brother and I were just talking about the time he decided to sit on her back - showing off for his little sister. Something spooked her and she took off for the barn at warp speed. As she went in the barn door, my brother was too tall and was clipped right off her back - into a pile of fresh manure. Pain and indignity all in one swoop. I also showed 4-H cattle - lots of hard work and enjoyment. All reasons why farm life is a great place for children to grow up. Thanks for the reminder.
Kathleen
Panama, NY
(Zone 5a)

January 21, 2008
9:30 PM

Post #4434371

lol, your poor brother! Did you stop laughing before he got up to chase you?
grammyphoeb
Upper Hudson Valley, NY
(Zone 5a)

January 26, 2008
2:47 AM

Post #4454834

Loved the article Kathleen. It brought back lots of memories. I grew up on a farm outside of Syracuse. I miss farm life so much but I don't miss the milk tester - supper was always late when the milk tester was at the farm cause it took so much longer to milk the cows that night!! My Dad and brother had a very special cow called "Marcy" who was a super producer. In her later years after having a calf she would get really sick (maybe her potassium dropped - memory fails me) and have to be rushed down to Cornell to be kept alive. I remember the night she did die - they sat up with her until the end!! They knew each one of the cows by name and their personality and no they were not pets - they were raised to produce milk and they were not overly attached to any except for Marcy! Thanks for bringing back some of my childhood memories!! Eleanor

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: A Dairy Farmer's Journal: Cows Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Excellent and fun article sallyg 12 Jan 21, 2008 10:07 PM
Love your article doccat5 2 Jul 20, 2009 8:24 PM
so true! blue_eyes 0 Jan 19, 2008 3:10 PM
Great Article KathyJo 2 Jan 23, 2008 7:20 PM
Fun & Interesting Story! Petalpants 1 Jul 14, 2009 5:43 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America