Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
joanfav
Walnut Creek, CA

January 22, 2008
12:24 AM

Post #4435156

Your article is what I have been waiting for. I live in Walnut Creek, CA with dry hot summer & somewhat mild frost free wet winters. Planting cool vegetables makes more sense to a lazy gardener like me. Letting mother nature do the watering when we do get rain. Growing up in an Asian family & being more a custom to sharper tasting vegetables, I am glad there are other choices. Farmer's market or chinatown is not far but home gown always taste better.
girlgroupgirl

January 22, 2008
2:25 AM

Post #4435798

I hope this has encouraged you to grow some of your familiar childhood vegetables! The differences in the values of vegetables of other cultures fascinates me - tart, sweet, crunch, sharp, bitter , and the textures of leaves and stems...it makes a meal really enjoyable - beyond flavor - a whole experience. Most Americans don't eat food this way, and I think they are really missing something.

If you are having trouble keeping your garden watered in dryer times, think about unglazed Olas. You won't need to put water in them very often if you cap them off to prevent evaporation, and water goes directly to the plant roots. Great for the gardener who wants to reap the rewards without so much effort. Olas should be fairly easy for to you find in California, especially in Mexican Pottery outlets.

steinbeck
Dallas, TX

January 8, 2011
8:24 PM

Post #8299887

What are olas?

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Growing Chinese Vegetables in Cool Weather Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Thanks! Dea 7 Nov 9, 2009 1:28 PM
Great Article BronxBoy 3 Nov 6, 2009 4:28 PM
Growing Chinese Vegetables in Cool Weath sunpetals 0 Apr 24, 2009 10:30 PM
When to plant sawpalm 0 Nov 16, 2009 8:58 PM
Bok/Pak Choy/Choi albionwood 0 Jan 3, 2011 10:29 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America