Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

Flowering today, part III

Coffs Harbour, Australia

Starting anew, Autumn crocus flowering in Summer. Also known as "rain lily" so that could be why.
Zephyranthes pic taken today

Thumbnail by weed_woman
Coffs Harbour, Australia

and a little visitor (I love visitors)

Thumbnail by weed_woman
Coffs Harbour, Australia

Frangipani blossoms today. My hand is a medium size in gardening gloves ( to give you an indication of bloom size)

Thumbnail by weed_woman
Sydney, Australia

Mine too, I think it might even be the same one (only smaller size)
but considering the lack of Sun that is pretty good.

Thumbnail by chrissy100
Sydney, Australia

and

Thumbnail by chrissy100
Sydney, Australia

Sadly the blood red has put on two feet in growth but so far no flowers,I don't think it is sunny enough.
The garden seems to be going into Autumn mode.We have had some sun yesterday and on Australia day ...perhaps it won't be too late ,but The Summer display has been poor this year as most plants and trees have bolted to green growth instead of flowers.
My snail creepers have been in flower for weeks, the Russian Sage is way huge and still flowering (for months),no passionfruit,about a thousand chokos about to crop,grapes forget it (bats don't mind unripe ones) ...win some lose some we got a huge hand of sugar bananas :) yummy.

Thumbnail by chrissy100
Redondo Beach, CA(Zone 11)

Nice pics! I love the Plumerias (frangipani). They do smell like heaven.

Also, Go to tropical Gardening Forum, See my Pictures under "Pics Chat Lull in Rain" since I'm an Honorary Australian!

Merino, Australia

Hello everyone. Today is quite cool and overcast but still no sign of rain. I think, from looking at various plants around , that we are definitely in for an early Autumn. There are a couple of little green shoots just coming through exactly where some of my Autumn bulbs are.
I have flowers around the garden still but they are in patches and not looking their best. I thought I'd put on a pic of the plant that seems to out flower everything even though it is mostly ignored . I have seen these plants grown as larger trees and as shrubs. They can be cut back really hard and never seem to be without a flower. I have 2 that I grew from cuttings. One is growing as a tree and is around 5' tall now. This one in pic is more of a shrub even though I have never cut it. It grows out in all the weather and never fails to be full of flowers. It is never watered.
Polygalas are one of the most forgotten of water wise hardy plants.
I have seen a few grown as street trees and there should be a lot more. They are not messy in any way and can look good even if they are not flowering.
It brightens that part of the yard , along with the ever faithful agapanthus.
Happy gardening , Jean

Thumbnail by 77sunset
Merino, Australia

More flowers. Verbena , which always seems to have flowers and again the old aggies.
The green at the back are the grape vines which are loaded with "bird food". Lovely purple grapes, of which we won't get many.

Thumbnail by 77sunset
melbourne, Australia

jean - i love my polygala. i only thought they got to about 1 or 2 metres high though!

i will have to keep an eye on mine and cut it back if it gets too big for my gardenbed. it is constantly in flower though and the most brighest gorgeous flowers. love it.

i might get another one to go in the bigger section and let it grow as big as it wants.

shelly

london England, United Kingdom

Found you!
Lovely to see all your beautiful flowers everyone.
Jean, what is the light blue flower at the back of the border in the verbena picture? It does look pretty!
My garden is starting to emerge from it's winter sleep, I found some snowdrops the other day.

Thumbnail by terriculture
Coffs Harbour, Australia

A sly Lobelia got into a pot in the shade house. The spider looks as though she is admiring it! A web with a view!

Thumbnail by weed_woman

WOW! Sue, I've never seen a spider that big!

Coffs Harbour, Australia

It's not all that big, Terri. The flowers are only the size of your thumb nail. Huntsman spiders, now theyre big!

Believe me, you don't get spiders here that big ...ever!
I've seen the Huntsman on the t.v. programme ...
I'm a celebrity get me out of here!

Coffs Harbour, Australia

Well, the itching has stopped and the welts are going down, so I best be off to work again. The grass just doesn't stop growing!
I'll be back tonight.
Sue
P.s Terri, here is a Huntsman with a box of matches for proportion.

Thumbnail by weed_woman
Sydney, Australia

I love my polygalas too ...had one in many of my gardens but not here ...they are lovely things.
Sue why do you have skin trouble? what happened?
love the spiders :)
gosh it is hot! whew!
I hope everyone is recovering from an extended holiday/holidays.
t those snowdrops are dear little things ...real fairy flowers.
chrissy

Merino, Australia

Hello everyone. I have given up outside as it is too hot now. aren't the orb weavers beautiful chrissy ? Ours are still there, or 3 are anyway. The others may have died or been eaten. Apparently they only live about a year. we stand out every night and watch them build their webs, it's fascinating.
They are not bothered by the light or the males swinging around on their trapezes.
The bodies are the size of a good mans thmb nail terri but the legs are not as long as the huntsman mostly. The huntsman is a big spider but he makes himself look even bigger with the spread out way he sits.
I'm glad I'm not up north where the really big fellas live. They have bird eating ones up there terri. I like to leave them all at peace in the garden but I do shudder when I see the very big tarantulas overseas. There's something about 8 hairy legs that must be from way back in our ancestry. Perhaps our ancestors met even bigger ones and gained that fearful instinct.
It seems to be a year for seeing lots of things we usually don't see and the day I go out and see a tarantula coming up the path will be the day I move to a spider free zone.
I have more of the polygala cuttings to grow and will plant them around the front. I did see a small one once in different colors. Don't worry about yours Shelley. Just keep it trimmed to the size you like. .I think it helps if you let them grow from many branches low down for a nice bush and keep one trunk for a tree type.
here's a pic for you terri. These fellas like to live in window frames and nearly every house would have one. They are not nice to see but usually stay in their webs. Have a nice day all. I'm off for a cuppa again. Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

Good Morning everyone,
What's going on? are you trying to scare the Pommie away?!!!
I'm not scared of our little spiders, but I wouldn't want to bump into any of yours!!!
Wishing we had some of your heat right now, it's cold here today.
I'm off to work, have a lovely day all.

Coffs Harbour, Australia

Hi Terri, and ggod evening all.
Jean, I got a bite today from sources unknown, while at work in the garden (not mine)
and broke out all itchy, red and in welts. It was very uncomforatble, so I came home for a couple of hours and had a shower and took a telfast tablet. I still have some welts but the redness and itchiness is gone, although I feel a bit like a limp dish rag! I had to go back to work to mow a lawn and then tackled the last of mine when I got back home, aswell as doing a small shop down the road, cooking tea, and making up meals for the dogs!
Whew! Its probly not the bite that has washed me out!
Anyway, massage day tomorrow. I'm actually not sure if it will antagonise the welts or if they'll be gone by then. I feel a bit raw from all the scratching. This is the welts on my back, please excuse the art work.
Sue

Thumbnail by weed_woman
Sydney, Australia

Gawd that looks terrible! what on earth has caused that? ...it sort of reminds me of a reaction to spitfire grubs, my nephew was mowing under gum trees once and was covered in awful welts and terrible itching, after a while he felt ill and was driven to the hospital, there he was treated with anti histamine and told that there was a plague of those things and that many people had bad reactions to them. The only other thing I can think of is Rhus tree which causes dreadful reactions in some people ...I hope you feel better soon.
77 really golden orbs only live a year? I seem to have had many for years I guess they must pass their home turf onto the next generation or something, did anyone ever see the picture in the paper of webs spun by spiders who had been drinking coffee?
all crazy and wrong ...makes you think does it not?.
Hi t sending warm vibes your way and and to anyone else who needs them ...right now we don't it, is 84F in the house tonight at 11.
Have a good one everyone ...off to hospital with brother tomorrow so see you later :)
chrissy

Merino, Australia

Good morning all. Sorry terri . didn't mean to frighten you away. we are so used to the spiders . I get all icky when I see some of the giants overseas.
Sue , don't mind the artwork but your back looks terrible. It looks more like you have been in contact with something rather than a bite. chrissy may be right about either one. There are a lot of plants that can cause things like this on different people.Be careful of ti tree or melaleuca too. It does not affect me now but when a lot younger, I used to get large lumps from the ones growing along the beaches in Melb. .My son had a terrible reaction to banana tree sap too.
It is a wonder we all survive with what's out there.
We have RAIN. Not a lot as yet but it is washing dust off plants. Today i was going to water the iris a bit now I don't have to.
We are having a new switchbord put in on the veranda because we keep having blown fuses with all the old ones. It will a relief to have it done. Also lots of new powerpoints while the elctrician is here, Isn't it always the way that when you want a powerpoint it is on the wrong side of the room ?
This is all in preparation for the split sytem going in in a week or so. The bank now own even more of the place, but we need it done as we are past the stage of chopping wood and even being able to buy wood is a problem too. If you can get any it is expensive.
I feel the cold so this will be great in winter.
Oh sorry, I forgot you people up there don't have winter. Terri will know about the cold. I have to go as power has to be turned off soon . Have a happy day all. I hope you feel better today Sue. Jean

Thumbnail by 77sunset

Haha! Jean, I'm not scared honest!!!
Beautiful Dahlia, what is the carrot in the background?!

Sue, Hope you are feeling better soon.

Thanks Chrissy, it worked! the sun was shining today.
On the way home it was freezing wind, my ears were like ice cubes! I must get a hat.

Thumbnail by terriculture
Coffs Harbour, Australia

Thanks you guys, alls well on the northern front today. (a bit hot but thats usual for Summer) (you'd hate it Terri, all warm and everything blooming and all) LOL
Another person suggested spitfires actually, but also I was working around tea tree and melaleuca also. Who knows? The "carrots" in Jeans pictures look like the buds of a lillium of some kind. Do tell, Jean!
I've been at Susans garden today, so these pics are her flowers.
Gerbera, complete with ants!

Thumbnail by weed_woman
Coffs Harbour, Australia

Asiatic Lily of some kind

Thumbnail by weed_woman
Coffs Harbour, Australia

A beautiful ginger from Bunnings apparently (note to oneself, visit Bunnings)

Thumbnail by weed_woman
Coffs Harbour, Australia

A really lovely Grevillea, of which i snipped a couple of flowers for an arrangement.

Thumbnail by weed_woman
melbourne, Australia

love that gerbera ww!

we are having some rain too.. haven't been out to see how much but the garden looks so much fresher after a rain. seems the flowers get even brighter!

shelly

Merino, Australia

Hello all. Just popped in for a quick look while I'm allowed to have the power on . We have had the electrician here all day installing a new fuse board and fixing a lot of very old wiring plus a few other odd jobs. This is all in readiness for the putting in of our new split system . I need it for the winter as age feels the cold. We just had to give the bank a bit more of the place to pay for it.
I put the dahlia pic on to cheer you up Sue and to show terri we do have nice things here. It is one of my cousins pics. We swap a few pics so we can see what we can swap. The "carrot" could be anything as she has loads of nice plants. I am being told to turn off now as power is going off again. Have a great time all. Jean.

Coffs Harbour, Australia

Happy gardening to you too Jean, seeing as you cant play on the puter much today, you might aswell go outside in the garden!
Sue

Sydney, Australia

Very nice pictures everyone, we have just had a huge storm again, the rain so heavy you couldn't hear anything ...hope you all got some ...we don't need any more right now, I have been outside with a torch to see what damage has been done, leaves everywhere, luckily the Angel pods are still there.
I have been back and forth to various doctors today with my brother and will catch up tomorrow :)
chrissy

Sydney, Australia

Wow we are into the second month of 2008 already ...what the!!!!!
where did that go?
A huge amount of damage from wind and rain ...will post some pics later ...I hope everyone is ok where ever you all are ... catch you later
chrissy

melbourne, Australia

we had about 1/4 of an inch and a lot of wind. its cold again today and we are all in jeans and long-sleeve tops. stupid for start of feb.

shelly

Sydney, Australia

Well our damage is not too bad ...at least we did not lose power hate losing foxtel though right in the middle of Judging Amy! darn I hate that!, lots of folk still trying to get their roof fixed from the Dec storms and a lot of power is still out.
My pics are not too exciting ...the sky is still so dark with rain clouds I have had to delete heaps, anyway you have all seen most of my stuff it is all the same except bigger and a bit battered :)
hmmm now let's see there is the edible ginger starting up

Thumbnail by chrissy100
Sydney, Australia

What else? ....that succulent that continues to try and flower ...look at the size of the flower stalk

Thumbnail by chrissy100
Sydney, Australia

hmmm ....nah too dark and wet
happy gardening everyone :)
chrissy

Thumbnail by chrissy100
Coffs Harbour, Australia

Hope all is well Chrissy, no rain here, just lots and lots of sweating! It must have been windy at home today as there is alot of leaves in the pool. I will go and scoop them out in a moment, as I have to cool down.
Hope everyone is coping with our weird weather!
Sue

Merino, Australia

Good morning everyone. Here we are again with a misty morning. The days turn very warm by lunchtime then quickly cool down again in the late afternoon and evening. Definitely Autumn.
I see the trees are staring to yellow a bit and leaves are falling. My Manchurian Pear is starting to turn it's gorgeous red color. There are little green noses sticking out of the ground here and there. The Autumn bulbs are waking up.
I am amazed at the amount of nectarines still on our trees. Usually by now the parrots have cleaned them up . Even the grapes have been left alone. The birds are still around but must be feeling sorry for us this year. I have had some blood plums too and they have been totally eaten in other years.
The Quince tree has about 2 dozen fruit. There are even a few peaches still on the tree. It may have been a dry year but the fruit trees are doing better than I have seen them for years.
We are going to have a bare garden soon as when all the trees are lopped. Well most of them anyway.
A friend is a registered tree lopper and will do them for us.. The trees are getting way too big and overshadowing the whole garden. There is going to be a bit of a mess but that will fix. Plants will grow back if there is damage. Hopefully most trees will fall in the paddock. I will replant a lot of the space with smaller natives like bottlebrush and grevellea. The existing smaller trees will have a chance to grow bigger now and see the light more.
We still have seen no rain and I hope it is not being saved up to be dumped on us all at once in Autumn and Winter.
I am doing a bit of pruning and tidying of the finished Summer plants now. There will be lots of seeds growing down the back next year as I just throw all the trimmings down there to rot down on their own. I have been doing this for years and there is always some flower that pokes through the old sticks. It all acts as a sort of instant mulch around the area. Surprising how quickly it all disappears over the next year and then I throw a new lot there.
Time to get out and do something before the sun comes out from the mist.
Have a happy day all.

Sydney, Australia

Well I know it is only Murraya but I must say that this is the star of my front garden ...over the roof and about 20ft wide ...here have a whiff

Thumbnail by chrissy100
Sydney, Australia

This is a huge flush because of the rain ...you can smell it everywhere

Thumbnail by chrissy100

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.