Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: Flowering today, part III

Communities > Forums > Australian and New Zealand Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Australian and New Zealand GardeningReplies: 128, Views: 603
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

January 22, 2008
7:03 AM

Post #4436993

Starting anew, Autumn crocus flowering in Summer. Also known as "rain lily" so that could be why.
Zephyranthes pic taken today

Thumbnail by weed_woman
Click the image for an enlarged view.

weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

January 22, 2008
7:04 AM

Post #4436996

and a little visitor (I love visitors)

Thumbnail by weed_woman

weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

January 22, 2008
7:05 AM

Post #4437003

Frangipani blossoms today. My hand is a medium size in gardening gloves ( to give you an indication of bloom size)

Thumbnail by weed_woman

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

January 28, 2008
7:15 PM

Post #4465605

Mine too, I think it might even be the same one (only smaller size)
but considering the lack of Sun that is pretty good.

Thumbnail by chrissy100

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

January 28, 2008
7:18 PM

Post #4465618

and

Thumbnail by chrissy100

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

January 28, 2008
7:29 PM

Post #4465665

Sadly the blood red has put on two feet in growth but so far no flowers,I don't think it is sunny enough.
The garden seems to be going into Autumn mode.We have had some sun yesterday and on Australia day ...perhaps it won't be too late ,but The Summer display has been poor this year as most plants and trees have bolted to green growth instead of flowers.
My snail creepers have been in flower for weeks, the Russian Sage is way huge and still flowering (for months),no passionfruit,about a thousand chokos about to crop,grapes forget it (bats don't mind unripe ones) ...win some lose some we got a huge hand of sugar bananas :) yummy.

Thumbnail by chrissy100

LApalms
Redondo Beach, CA
(Zone 11)

January 28, 2008
9:08 PM

Post #4466033

Nice pics! I love the Plumerias (frangipani). They do smell like heaven.

Also, Go to tropical Gardening Forum, See my Pictures under "Pics Chat Lull in Rain" since I'm an Honorary Australian!
77sunset
Merino
Australia

January 29, 2008
3:01 AM

Post #4467601

Hello everyone. Today is quite cool and overcast but still no sign of rain. I think, from looking at various plants around , that we are definitely in for an early Autumn. There are a couple of little green shoots just coming through exactly where some of my Autumn bulbs are.
I have flowers around the garden still but they are in patches and not looking their best. I thought I'd put on a pic of the plant that seems to out flower everything even though it is mostly ignored . I have seen these plants grown as larger trees and as shrubs. They can be cut back really hard and never seem to be without a flower. I have 2 that I grew from cuttings. One is growing as a tree and is around 5' tall now. This one in pic is more of a shrub even though I have never cut it. It grows out in all the weather and never fails to be full of flowers. It is never watered.
Polygalas are one of the most forgotten of water wise hardy plants.
I have seen a few grown as street trees and there should be a lot more. They are not messy in any way and can look good even if they are not flowering.
It brightens that part of the yard , along with the ever faithful agapanthus.
Happy gardening , Jean

Thumbnail by 77sunset

77sunset
Merino
Australia

January 29, 2008
3:05 AM

Post #4467620

More flowers. Verbena , which always seems to have flowers and again the old aggies.
The green at the back are the grape vines which are loaded with "bird food". Lovely purple grapes, of which we won't get many.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

shellyto4kids
melbourne
Australia

January 29, 2008
11:04 PM

Post #4470841

jean - i love my polygala. i only thought they got to about 1 or 2 metres high though!

i will have to keep an eye on mine and cut it back if it gets too big for my gardenbed. it is constantly in flower though and the most brighest gorgeous flowers. love it.

i might get another one to go in the bigger section and let it grow as big as it wants.

shelly
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

January 29, 2008
11:16 PM

Post #4470890

Found you!
Lovely to see all your beautiful flowers everyone.
Jean, what is the light blue flower at the back of the border in the verbena picture? It does look pretty!
My garden is starting to emerge from it's winter sleep, I found some snowdrops the other day.

Thumbnail by terriculture

weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

January 30, 2008
12:46 AM

Post #4471390

A sly Lobelia got into a pot in the shade house. The spider looks as though she is admiring it! A web with a view!

Thumbnail by weed_woman

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

January 30, 2008
1:01 AM

Post #4471450

WOW! Sue, I've never seen a spider that big!
weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

January 30, 2008
1:07 AM

Post #4471466

It's not all that big, Terri. The flowers are only the size of your thumb nail. Huntsman spiders, now theyre big!
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

January 30, 2008
1:14 AM

Post #4471492

Believe me, you don't get spiders here that big ...ever!
I've seen the Huntsman on the t.v. programme ...
I'm a celebrity get me out of here!
weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

January 30, 2008
1:19 AM

Post #4471518

Well, the itching has stopped and the welts are going down, so I best be off to work again. The grass just doesn't stop growing!
I'll be back tonight.
Sue
P.s Terri, here is a Huntsman with a box of matches for proportion.

Thumbnail by weed_woman

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

January 30, 2008
3:07 AM

Post #4472020

I love my polygalas too ...had one in many of my gardens but not here ...they are lovely things.
Sue why do you have skin trouble? what happened?
love the spiders :)
gosh it is hot! whew!
I hope everyone is recovering from an extended holiday/holidays.
t those snowdrops are dear little things ...real fairy flowers.
chrissy
77sunset
Merino
Australia

January 30, 2008
4:51 AM

Post #4472327

Hello everyone. I have given up outside as it is too hot now. aren't the orb weavers beautiful chrissy ? Ours are still there, or 3 are anyway. The others may have died or been eaten. Apparently they only live about a year. we stand out every night and watch them build their webs, it's fascinating.
They are not bothered by the light or the males swinging around on their trapezes.
The bodies are the size of a good mans thmb nail terri but the legs are not as long as the huntsman mostly. The huntsman is a big spider but he makes himself look even bigger with the spread out way he sits.
I'm glad I'm not up north where the really big fellas live. They have bird eating ones up there terri. I like to leave them all at peace in the garden but I do shudder when I see the very big tarantulas overseas. There's something about 8 hairy legs that must be from way back in our ancestry. Perhaps our ancestors met even bigger ones and gained that fearful instinct.
It seems to be a year for seeing lots of things we usually don't see and the day I go out and see a tarantula coming up the path will be the day I move to a spider free zone.
I have more of the polygala cuttings to grow and will plant them around the front. I did see a small one once in different colors. Don't worry about yours Shelley. Just keep it trimmed to the size you like. .I think it helps if you let them grow from many branches low down for a nice bush and keep one trunk for a tree type.
here's a pic for you terri. These fellas like to live in window frames and nearly every house would have one. They are not nice to see but usually stay in their webs. Have a nice day all. I'm off for a cuppa again. Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

January 30, 2008
9:06 AM

Post #4472506

Good Morning everyone,
What's going on? are you trying to scare the Pommie away?!!!
I'm not scared of our little spiders, but I wouldn't want to bump into any of yours!!!
Wishing we had some of your heat right now, it's cold here today.
I'm off to work, have a lovely day all.
weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

January 30, 2008
9:22 AM

Post #4472511

Hi Terri, and ggod evening all.
Jean, I got a bite today from sources unknown, while at work in the garden (not mine)
and broke out all itchy, red and in welts. It was very uncomforatble, so I came home for a couple of hours and had a shower and took a telfast tablet. I still have some welts but the redness and itchiness is gone, although I feel a bit like a limp dish rag! I had to go back to work to mow a lawn and then tackled the last of mine when I got back home, aswell as doing a small shop down the road, cooking tea, and making up meals for the dogs!
Whew! Its probly not the bite that has washed me out!
Anyway, massage day tomorrow. I'm actually not sure if it will antagonise the welts or if they'll be gone by then. I feel a bit raw from all the scratching. This is the welts on my back, please excuse the art work.
Sue

Thumbnail by weed_woman

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

January 30, 2008
12:01 PM

Post #4472626

Gawd that looks terrible! what on earth has caused that? ...it sort of reminds me of a reaction to spitfire grubs, my nephew was mowing under gum trees once and was covered in awful welts and terrible itching, after a while he felt ill and was driven to the hospital, there he was treated with anti histamine and told that there was a plague of those things and that many people had bad reactions to them. The only other thing I can think of is Rhus tree which causes dreadful reactions in some people ...I hope you feel better soon.
77 really golden orbs only live a year? I seem to have had many for years I guess they must pass their home turf onto the next generation or something, did anyone ever see the picture in the paper of webs spun by spiders who had been drinking coffee?
all crazy and wrong ...makes you think does it not?.
Hi t sending warm vibes your way and and to anyone else who needs them ...right now we don't it, is 84F in the house tonight at 11.
Have a good one everyone ...off to hospital with brother tomorrow so see you later :)
chrissy
77sunset
Merino
Australia

January 30, 2008
8:57 PM

Post #4474743

Good morning all. Sorry terri . didn't mean to frighten you away. we are so used to the spiders . I get all icky when I see some of the giants overseas.
Sue , don't mind the artwork but your back looks terrible. It looks more like you have been in contact with something rather than a bite. chrissy may be right about either one. There are a lot of plants that can cause things like this on different people.Be careful of ti tree or melaleuca too. It does not affect me now but when a lot younger, I used to get large lumps from the ones growing along the beaches in Melb. .My son had a terrible reaction to banana tree sap too.
It is a wonder we all survive with what's out there.
We have RAIN. Not a lot as yet but it is washing dust off plants. Today i was going to water the iris a bit now I don't have to.
We are having a new switchbord put in on the veranda because we keep having blown fuses with all the old ones. It will a relief to have it done. Also lots of new powerpoints while the elctrician is here, Isn't it always the way that when you want a powerpoint it is on the wrong side of the room ?
This is all in preparation for the split sytem going in in a week or so. The bank now own even more of the place, but we need it done as we are past the stage of chopping wood and even being able to buy wood is a problem too. If you can get any it is expensive.
I feel the cold so this will be great in winter.
Oh sorry, I forgot you people up there don't have winter. Terri will know about the cold. I have to go as power has to be turned off soon . Have a happy day all. I hope you feel better today Sue. Jean

Thumbnail by 77sunset

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

January 30, 2008
10:10 PM

Post #4475070

Haha! Jean, I'm not scared honest!!!
Beautiful Dahlia, what is the carrot in the background?!

Sue, Hope you are feeling better soon.

Thanks Chrissy, it worked! the sun was shining today.
On the way home it was freezing wind, my ears were like ice cubes! I must get a hat.

Thumbnail by terriculture

weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

January 30, 2008
11:23 PM

Post #4475357

Thanks you guys, alls well on the northern front today. (a bit hot but thats usual for Summer) (you'd hate it Terri, all warm and everything blooming and all) LOL
Another person suggested spitfires actually, but also I was working around tea tree and melaleuca also. Who knows? The "carrots" in Jeans pictures look like the buds of a lillium of some kind. Do tell, Jean!
I've been at Susans garden today, so these pics are her flowers.
Gerbera, complete with ants!

Thumbnail by weed_woman

weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

January 30, 2008
11:24 PM

Post #4475361

Asiatic Lily of some kind

Thumbnail by weed_woman

weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

January 30, 2008
11:24 PM

Post #4475363

A beautiful ginger from Bunnings apparently (note to oneself, visit Bunnings)

Thumbnail by weed_woman

weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

January 30, 2008
11:25 PM

Post #4475369

A really lovely Grevillea, of which i snipped a couple of flowers for an arrangement.

Thumbnail by weed_woman

shellyto4kids
melbourne
Australia

January 30, 2008
11:29 PM

Post #4475386

love that gerbera ww!

we are having some rain too.. haven't been out to see how much but the garden looks so much fresher after a rain. seems the flowers get even brighter!

shelly
77sunset
Merino
Australia

January 31, 2008
5:46 AM

Post #4477099

Hello all. Just popped in for a quick look while I'm allowed to have the power on . We have had the electrician here all day installing a new fuse board and fixing a lot of very old wiring plus a few other odd jobs. This is all in readiness for the putting in of our new split system . I need it for the winter as age feels the cold. We just had to give the bank a bit more of the place to pay for it.
I put the dahlia pic on to cheer you up Sue and to show terri we do have nice things here. It is one of my cousins pics. We swap a few pics so we can see what we can swap. The "carrot" could be anything as she has loads of nice plants. I am being told to turn off now as power is going off again. Have a great time all. Jean.
weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

January 31, 2008
9:23 AM

Post #4477376

Happy gardening to you too Jean, seeing as you cant play on the puter much today, you might aswell go outside in the garden!
Sue

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

January 31, 2008
11:53 AM

Post #4477459

Very nice pictures everyone, we have just had a huge storm again, the rain so heavy you couldn't hear anything ...hope you all got some ...we don't need any more right now, I have been outside with a torch to see what damage has been done, leaves everywhere, luckily the Angel pods are still there.
I have been back and forth to various doctors today with my brother and will catch up tomorrow :)
chrissy

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

January 31, 2008
8:19 PM

Post #4479300

Wow we are into the second month of 2008 already ...what the!!!!!
where did that go?
A huge amount of damage from wind and rain ...will post some pics later ...I hope everyone is ok where ever you all are ... catch you later
chrissy
shellyto4kids
melbourne
Australia

January 31, 2008
10:53 PM

Post #4479843

we had about 1/4 of an inch and a lot of wind. its cold again today and we are all in jeans and long-sleeve tops. stupid for start of feb.

shelly

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

January 31, 2008
11:12 PM

Post #4479908

Well our damage is not too bad ...at least we did not lose power hate losing foxtel though right in the middle of Judging Amy! darn I hate that!, lots of folk still trying to get their roof fixed from the Dec storms and a lot of power is still out.
My pics are not too exciting ...the sky is still so dark with rain clouds I have had to delete heaps, anyway you have all seen most of my stuff it is all the same except bigger and a bit battered :)
hmmm now let's see there is the edible ginger starting up

Thumbnail by chrissy100

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

January 31, 2008
11:16 PM

Post #4479919

What else? ...that succulent that continues to try and flower ...look at the size of the flower stalk

Thumbnail by chrissy100

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

January 31, 2008
11:23 PM

Post #4479950

hmmm ...nah too dark and wet
happy gardening everyone :)
chrissy

Thumbnail by chrissy100

weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

February 1, 2008
4:37 AM

Post #4481216

Hope all is well Chrissy, no rain here, just lots and lots of sweating! It must have been windy at home today as there is alot of leaves in the pool. I will go and scoop them out in a moment, as I have to cool down.
Hope everyone is coping with our weird weather!
Sue
77sunset
Merino
Australia

February 1, 2008
9:28 PM

Post #4483361

Good morning everyone. Here we are again with a misty morning. The days turn very warm by lunchtime then quickly cool down again in the late afternoon and evening. Definitely Autumn.
I see the trees are staring to yellow a bit and leaves are falling. My Manchurian Pear is starting to turn it's gorgeous red color. There are little green noses sticking out of the ground here and there. The Autumn bulbs are waking up.
I am amazed at the amount of nectarines still on our trees. Usually by now the parrots have cleaned them up . Even the grapes have been left alone. The birds are still around but must be feeling sorry for us this year. I have had some blood plums too and they have been totally eaten in other years.
The Quince tree has about 2 dozen fruit. There are even a few peaches still on the tree. It may have been a dry year but the fruit trees are doing better than I have seen them for years.
We are going to have a bare garden soon as when all the trees are lopped. Well most of them anyway.
A friend is a registered tree lopper and will do them for us.. The trees are getting way too big and overshadowing the whole garden. There is going to be a bit of a mess but that will fix. Plants will grow back if there is damage. Hopefully most trees will fall in the paddock. I will replant a lot of the space with smaller natives like bottlebrush and grevellea. The existing smaller trees will have a chance to grow bigger now and see the light more.
We still have seen no rain and I hope it is not being saved up to be dumped on us all at once in Autumn and Winter.
I am doing a bit of pruning and tidying of the finished Summer plants now. There will be lots of seeds growing down the back next year as I just throw all the trimmings down there to rot down on their own. I have been doing this for years and there is always some flower that pokes through the old sticks. It all acts as a sort of instant mulch around the area. Surprising how quickly it all disappears over the next year and then I throw a new lot there.
Time to get out and do something before the sun comes out from the mist.
Have a happy day all.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 1, 2008
11:41 PM

Post #4483848

Well I know it is only Murraya but I must say that this is the star of my front garden ...over the roof and about 20ft wide ...here have a whiff

Thumbnail by chrissy100

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 1, 2008
11:43 PM

Post #4483854

This is a huge flush because of the rain ...you can smell it everywhere

Thumbnail by chrissy100

weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

February 2, 2008
9:31 AM

Post #4485470

Rain, RAIN? We started the day at the beach today

Thumbnail by weed_woman

weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

February 2, 2008
9:32 AM

Post #4485472

then I took a pic of this little Darling Physostegia (Obedient Plant) There is also a little white one popped up. Cute.

Thumbnail by weed_woman

weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

February 2, 2008
9:33 AM

Post #4485473

Then it started raining and it hasn't stopped! 97mm till 7pm and still going. I had to go and move some babies as they were under threat of drowning!

Thumbnail by weed_woman

weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

February 2, 2008
9:35 AM

Post #4485474

now technically, this is not a flower (I think) So what is it?

Thumbnail by weed_woman

77sunset
Merino
Australia

February 2, 2008
9:40 PM

Post #4487363

Hello Sue. I love your new "flower". It looks like some type of fungi on the wood.
I have a plant the same as your physostegia. Mine is the pink like your pic. It dies down every year and comes up again in the Spring. Is this right for yours too ?
I bought it at a nursery so the name should be right. I have another that I was told was Gallipoli sage. It has a similar flower but grows taller . It is a triffid. I just pulled out a large patch even though it is very pretty. It was taking over the daylily area.
I feel for you and your plants. So much water. They will need rubber boots. Mine are all out in thongs and shorts. I don't see any rain in the near future.
Chrissy, I love your Murraya. I wish some of that tropical type stuff would grow down here. Even with the warmish weather it is too dry for them to survive. My brugs are going well though.
Today is cloudy but there is no chance of the wet stuff. It is supposed to get to 30C so I may stay inside and paint today.
Happy drier gardening , Jean

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 2, 2008
9:57 PM

Post #4487433

Awe sorry to hear that it is still dry there ...the garden guru on the radio has just said Melbourne is slowly turning into Sydney conditions and that Sydney is slowly turning tropical.
Certainly we have had almost monsoon like rains. The silly broadband threw me off yesterday in the middle of my thread ...grrrr.
Sue that is a pretty fungus ...anyone know what kind? why don't you post in in the id forums they love that kind of thing, I think there may even be a fungi forum (ginger used to post in).The reason I say that is some forms are edible and that is a nice looking one ...hmmmm tripe?
Happy gardening everyone

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 2, 2008
11:59 PM

Post #4487924

OK been out there in the grey damp place, still too dark for many pics ...deleted most of them:(

Thumbnail by chrissy100

weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

February 3, 2008
12:30 AM

Post #4488011

Oh Yuk Chrissy! I hate tripe... urgh!!!!! I might post it in the ID forum though, and I'll send you a piece to cook up. Wouldn't it be nice if it was a truffle? Its quite large, about 20-25cm diametre.
Its still raining. 108mm overnight till 8am this morning, and still raining. We just went for a drive down to the beach and its high tide, which explains why the water backs up for awhile. I looked out the window this morning and saw the white lavander bush all flopped and collapsed, so I haven't been out to look at anything else.
It is quite interesting walking around seeing how the drainage works, or not. We've identified a few problem areas and once it dries out (if it ever dries out) we'll address some of the problems.
Hi Jean. my Physostegia I got as self sown seedlings from a gardening customer. She only had pink, or so I thought. They did die back but I gathered seed and sprinkled it everywhere and now have a few, but not too many. I'm not sure if the original plants came back, or if it was fresh plants from seed. I love them, so very dark green in the foliage and such a neat, tight, spike of flowers. When they seed again, i'll put some on the trades thread.
Sue
weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

February 4, 2008
12:11 AM

Post #4491818

Soggy Salvias

Thumbnail by weed_woman

weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

February 4, 2008
12:12 AM

Post #4491821

Rained on rose

Thumbnail by weed_woman

weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

February 4, 2008
12:13 AM

Post #4491825

Lavender laying down (not really flowering though)

Thumbnail by weed_woman

weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

February 4, 2008
12:14 AM

Post #4491834

Icky wet Iris

Thumbnail by weed_woman

77sunset
Merino
Australia

February 4, 2008
1:02 AM

Post #4492005

Sue, how sad they look but they will survive and look great again. I could post some of mine as being the exact opposite . We have not seen any rain as yet. I feel like coming up there with a mop and lots of buckets. The tropical weather really looks like it is moving further south. I don't think we will get that sort here though. I should be careful what I wish for, it may come here. We are on a hill so if it did rain like you have had , it would all run away. I feel for you and your little babies.
Here's a couple of dry pics for you . The odd bit of pink in the pic is a naked lady so it must be Autumn.
Have a nice day anyway . smile . we will soon be seeing your happy flowers. Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

77sunset
Merino
Australia

February 4, 2008
1:03 AM

Post #4492014

some of the day lilies

Thumbnail by 77sunset

weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

February 4, 2008
5:47 AM

Post #4493124

Gosh Jean, it is dry. Makes me feel guilty for complaining. I soooo wish there was some way of collecting all this water. It IS such a waste. It just goes out to sea, taking soil and nutrients with it, and polluting the marine life!
I hope some of it runs down your way!

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 4, 2008
11:40 AM

Post #4493321

Yes I wish some of our H20 would go where it is needed ...It was not that long ago we were desparate for rain ...I really feel for you gardeners who are still suffering arid conditions.
chrissy
weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

February 7, 2008
11:40 AM

Post #4506383

How cute are these? You can see the caps coming off!
these are at my friends house and I was rushing to take the picture before the next storm hit, as I thought the rain might ruin them. She offered for me to take some home, but i didn't want to spoil the lovely display.
Grafted Red flowering gum

Thumbnail by weed_woman

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 7, 2008
11:52 AM

Post #4506396

Did you spot cuddlepot or cuddlepie in there anywhere? aren't the blossoms just adorable :)
chrissy
77sunset
Merino
Australia

February 8, 2008
4:36 AM

Post #4510350

Hello all. I have been out today doing a bit of shopping for the things I forgot yesterday. I only had to go across to Casterton ( about 20 mins away ) . There a quite a few flowering gums along the road there and one huge one absolutely covered in dark pink blossom. I often wonder when out in the bush, where all these beauties are, because they certainly don't grow wild where I have been. Maybe they prfer the more civilised places whereas I have mostly been in the way outback.
I did love cuddlepot and cuddlepie. Did anyone ever read Marmaduke the Possum ? I would really like to get a copy of that book again. I loved the little elves and fairies and all the talking bush creatures. I only ever saw the one I had and have never been able to get a copy even for my kids when they were small. (a long time ago)
I saw some spots on the windscreen but they were gone before I could check on them. Do you think it was a splash from sue's rubber boots as she wades through the WATER ??
As I said on the other thread and still haven't put the kettle on, it's time for a cuppa. Happy gardening all
Jean.
weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

February 8, 2008
9:46 AM

Post #4510726

HA HA HA! Not!
Actually we had a whole day with out Rain (Chrissy's turning green with envy!)
On the down side, I had to work all day.
On the up side. I stopped in at the Orchid house.
On the down side, he's closing the business and retiring,
On the up side, everythings half price,
On the down side, I don't have enough money to buy it all
On the up side, I had enough money to buy 4 plants.
So there you go.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 8, 2008
10:54 AM

Post #4510755

Guess what! a whole day without rain ...grey and they say it is coming back for the weekend but today was dry :)
77 I do have those books and read the stories to my grandchildren ...just adorable when ever I see pretty gum blossoms I think of all the little gum blossombabies living in them :)
Well Sue a you a sucker for punishment :) more green strappy things that ignore flowering no matter what we do, perhaps we should start throwing buckets of cold water over them as suggested.
Sorry no pics today too busy ...
Hopefully tomorrow ...in the rain *giggling and twitching as I say the r word.
chrissy

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 8, 2008
11:27 AM

Post #4510809

For 77 ...remember these old stamps? I still have my series

Thumbnail by chrissy100

77sunset
Merino
Australia

February 8, 2008
9:32 PM

Post #4512931

Good morning chrissy and sue. I have just been down to the neighbours to feed animals. They should be home soon and get back to doing everything again.
My girls have stopped laying months ago and I keep saying I'll let Foxy Loxy in if they don't do something.
I think actually they might be older than I was told and I would like to get a couple of younger ones but the old breeds are not easy to get around here and expensive.
I may be able to get to one of the poultry auctions later in the year and see what I can get. Poor old Henry is a bit past it I think as he just looks at the girls now.
I do remember those stamps chrissy . When I was a lot younger (way, way back ) I used to be an avid collector. My father had friends overseas who would send lots to me. Stamps were easy to get and some I had are really valuable now. I had beautiful albums because Dad was a bookbinder and made them for me. .
Sadly, when I married my first husband, things were all a bit upset and Mum got rid of all my things without asking. I was devastated at the time as I really enjoyed the hobby and would have kept it up. Took me a long time to forgive.
What really hurt was the person she gave the albums to was a terrible little boy I could not stand .
Oh well, that's life and we move on.
Funny thing though about history repeating itself . Years later when I was separated and in the process of moving, I left some things in a box with Mum and blow me down if she didn't give them away while I was in WA.
My old school report card and my camera that was a gift from an long dead aunt had been in the box.
I was thinking along those lines of history as I have been getting back into my genealogy again.
It's another fascinating hobby.
Back to gardening.
I saw a lot of naked ladies out yesterday. Now that sounded good didn't it. I presume you all know I am talking about those pink flowers and are not picturing some wrinkled bodies cavorting about.
I have some Hydrogen Peroxide now and am going to try it on the plants. I was reading that it is good to soak seeds in so looked it up on internet. What a marvellous thing it is. I never knew all that about it. I will be trying it out as a spray
to give the plants a kick along.
Used with sugar and water it apparently is a good bug spray too.
I see some white fly in the greenhouse so will try it out in there.
Sue , I hope your orchids behave better than mine. It is hard to not buy a plant though. I even bought back a cutting from neighbours garden even though I gave her a lot. There was one there that I did not have, so...snip, snip...
I always have gloves and secateurs in the car..
You never know what you may see.
My blue fountain bush that broke last year in the wind, is sending uo lots of ne shoots. I will keep it trimmed this time as the flowers do get heavy especially when wet. Well they may get wet again.
I'd better be careful what I wish for . All that rain may decide to visit. No pics here either as it's all too dull at the moment.
Have a great day all. Jean.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

February 8, 2008
9:51 PM

Post #4512981

Found some flowers. this is ' Double Delight'

Thumbnail by 77sunset

77sunset
Merino
Australia

February 8, 2008
9:52 PM

Post #4512986

Unknown rose with verbena and aggies

Thumbnail by 77sunset

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 9, 2008
2:34 AM

Post #4514039

Hmmmm love the perfume of double delight, one of it's parents I was told is Granada one of my favourite rose scents in the whole garden and such a happy looking rose ...always looks like it is going to a fiesta!
So sorry that you lost precious things ...but what you have right now is priceless, so as doctor Phill says you can't drive forward by looking in the rear vision mirror ...I try to look forward instead of back,remember the happy things and throw the bad away. Stuff is only stuff.
Unless it is something to do with the garden :)
happy gardening
chrissy
77sunset
Merino
Australia

February 9, 2008
5:25 AM

Post #4514674

Thanks chrissy. I just looked at my post and didn't realise when I was doing it how long it was. I must learn not to ramble on, but then that's me I have given up all that stuff long ago and made peace with Mum years ago. I looked after her until she died and we did have some enjoyable talks.
I have just been out potting up some cuttings that fell into my hands the other day. A couple of lovely fuchsias and some lavenders. I had to repot a poor epi that fell down when it's chain broke .The basket was an old one so now he has a nice new basket. One of my bromeliads has a small blue flower in the inside . Today has been a mix of weather with a bit of fine mist early then some sun but the wind has been here all day and is quite cool.
The 'Double Delight ' rose is one I have wanted for a while . I saw this poor looking one in supermarket last year so bought it and it has turned out to be a delight.
Am off again to feed other animals .
Have a happy rest of the day. Jean.
weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

February 10, 2008
9:07 AM

Post #4518856

This is a Nymphaea that I purchased down at the Gardening Australia expo in sydney back in august 06. This is the first flower. Hubby saw it on Saturday morning as I was having a lie in, but by the time I got over to see it (around 11am) it had closed, so I got up and wandered over for a look at about 8.30am today and managed to get it partially open. You can actually see it opening and closing, as the petals visibly move. Some bug has had a chew but I don't care. Can't exactly spray for bugs around a fish and frog and dragonfly pond, can I?

Thumbnail by weed_woman

Awchid
Gisborne
New Zealand

February 15, 2008
1:54 AM

Post #4539782

HI there you all sound very busy, After our bit of rain things looked good, today its blowing a gale and the sun is out. Everything is drying out fast, I'll be out with the hose again to-night. Had my first computor class yesterday,that was interesting. I'll see how next week goes .
Double delight is one of my favourites I think I have it here its very scraggy and flowers are small, with a bit of TLC it will come back. Just checked on new begonia what the rain didn't manage the wind will finish so had better shift it. I must learn how to send photos as well.
Half the joy of getting new plants is sharing them with friends and a picture is as good as the real thing or almost. hHope every one is well.
Lesley.
weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

February 15, 2008
4:03 AM

Post #4540378

Hi Lesley, your descriptions are pretty good, but photos will be nice too !
a neighbours dog came to visit while I was working yesterday. They had a lovely time!
Squashed Ecinaccea, squashed salvias, squashed alternanthera, squashed, squashed, squashed, everywhere I looked! Oh well, more space to plant more!
I took puppy dog leo (14 months) to work today. He was very well behaved and i might make a habit of it. Only problem I had with him, was baaaaad smells in the car! Lucky he likes to ride on the back when the weather is good!
Physostegia (pink and white) with blue salvias in front!

Thumbnail by weed_woman

Emelle
Morrinsville ~Waikat
New Zealand

February 15, 2008
6:49 AM

Post #4540798

I have a concrete block garden jutting out from the house-I wanted to grow roses there,inspired by a magazine pic which had a profusion of roses dripping over a wall...It didden work,as the winds are terrible and cold,and the roses looked so unhappy.
So I decided to have lower growing things and this is their first season-I hope they will spread out a bit.
I left the climbing rose Crepuscle at the back against the wall.
I planted plumbago which has started to flower now in late Summer.
Emelle
The first picture is looking towards the steps up to the house-I scrubbed and painted white the mouldy concrete blocks

Thumbnail by Emelle

Emelle
Morrinsville ~Waikat
New Zealand

February 15, 2008
6:53 AM

Post #4540801

This is from the house looking down
Crepuscle at the top right,a sort of convolvulous,and a Ceanothus,with the plumbago obscured
M

Thumbnail by Emelle

Emelle
Morrinsville ~Waikat
New Zealand

February 15, 2008
6:55 AM

Post #4540804

Some photos of the plumbago
M

Thumbnail by Emelle

Emelle
Morrinsville ~Waikat
New Zealand

February 15, 2008
6:57 AM

Post #4540807

Plumbago again and erigeron

Thumbnail by Emelle

Emelle
Morrinsville ~Waikat
New Zealand

February 15, 2008
6:59 AM

Post #4540809

Another pic with pot made by my daughter.
M

Thumbnail by Emelle

Emelle
Morrinsville ~Waikat
New Zealand

February 15, 2008
7:01 AM

Post #4540811

the beautiful Crepuscle
M

Thumbnail by Emelle

Emelle
Morrinsville ~Waikat
New Zealand

February 15, 2008
7:05 AM

Post #4540814

I just found a 'before'picture-taken shortly after we came here 7 years ago.
I had just started to scrub and paint the wooden rails,they were cream and black...then thought I'd better take a pic-it all looks so different now
M

Thumbnail by Emelle

Emelle
Morrinsville ~Waikat
New Zealand

February 15, 2008
7:15 AM

Post #4540826

The other side of the steps I planted hydrangeas-they grow well there
M

Thumbnail by Emelle

Awchid
Gisborne
New Zealand

February 15, 2008
12:21 PM

Post #4541051

The Waikato is a very fertile place isin't it. Your garden is lovely. In fact all the gardens are lovely. Emelle I looked up DIXIE, very interesting. Sue you have great self control I have had boisterous dogs too. I had a very well brought up female german sheppard,
when any pups or other dogs went on my garden she would drag them out by the scruff of the neck and give them a hard shake.
They got the message.So for many years nothing went in my garden. Yhe next one was a mastif cross, very big , he used to dig big holes
just to lay in. Most plants were ok to replant . Rambling over for now. Time 1-20 am on 16th so must be sleep time. Bye Lesley.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 15, 2008
8:48 PM

Post #4543124

Oh Emelle how beautiful and well behave your garden is, after all this rain, whew I don't know where to start on my weeds and grass
and everything is looking a bit knocked around ...so I won't post very many pics. Don't worry about pictures ...I spent many months here before I could do the picture thing, just a tip though ...if you have a digital camera ...you buy a little doover to stick in it that hooks you up to the computer ...I couldn't believe how easy it was .
Before my granson enlightened me I thought I had to use a printer thingy that scared the wits out of me lol. Anyway please don't feel that you have to have pictures to post ...we enjoy talk as well.
happy weekend everyone ...we may have some sun whoopee!
chrissy
Emelle
Morrinsville ~Waikat
New Zealand

February 15, 2008
11:55 PM

Post #4543821

I have to grin a bit to myself-I only show the bits that are well-behaved at the moment !!!other patches look awful,weedy,need cutting back and dead-heading,and thoroughly chewed.I am really happy with some rain we have just had after drought conditions-forbidden to water gardens,etc,however it does bring stinging flying ants and mosquitos,so I have to cover up to venture out.
The best thing I have ever done in my garden was to last year,after fertilising round the base of plants,cover the soil with a really thick layer of newspapers-Australian ones would be nearly as good as NZ ones I should think,and then a thick layer of fine wood-shavings that I got by the trailer load from daughter's farm,where they had used it for the calf-rearing shed.Occasionally a determined weed will push through,but on the whole it saved so much weeding and looks tidy-the worms like it too,under it all.
Emelle

Thumbnail by Emelle

Emelle
Morrinsville ~Waikat
New Zealand

February 16, 2008
12:00 AM

Post #4543837

Here is another part of the garden-it was terribly infested with oxalis,and after trying to grow flowers,I gave up and planted shrubs,with pots of flowers between them.
I first dug a hole for each plant and completely cleared the soil out,then replaced the soil with fresh,no oxalis,and planted it.Then placed newspaper around and the wood shavings.
M

Thumbnail by Emelle

Emelle
Morrinsville ~Waikat
New Zealand

February 16, 2008
12:08 AM

Post #4543865

I have just found the pic of getting the shavings-BTW they are untreated,and are rich compost as they were used in the calf-shed-they get fresh shavings to keep them warm.The calves here are all born and reared between early July and late August-a very busy time.
M

Thumbnail by Emelle

Awchid
Gisborne
New Zealand

February 16, 2008
12:08 AM

Post #4543867

Must ask my daughter about the camera doover thingy, I may already have one I hope so. Thank goodness for comp literate families.
DG"S certainly opens up a whole new world for me. Got lost in the camera and photography forum last night and I hadn't even
brushed the surface. Will be a great help camera wise. Will just have to knock a bit more TV on the head to give me more evening hours
Lesley.
weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

February 17, 2008
8:25 AM

Post #4549384

Lovely pics ML. I too use newspapers, and try to encourage my customers to adopt the idea. Even over grass it works! Just mow it really low, then thick newspaper, water and thick mulch of your choice, and waa-lah, no more weeds! (except nutgrass, nothing stops nutgrass!)
Miltonia goodale moir "golden Wonder"

Thumbnail by weed_woman

weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

February 17, 2008
8:25 AM

Post #4549385

African violet grown from a leaf cutting.

Thumbnail by weed_woman

weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

February 17, 2008
8:27 AM

Post #4549387

Aechmea hoenana. The photo doesn't do it justice. It has the nicest colour combination of golden yellow and hot pink! I bought it last week at the markets for $5! Stoked!

Thumbnail by weed_woman

weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

February 24, 2008
8:31 AM

Post #4580848

Swan river daisies

Thumbnail by weed_woman

weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

February 24, 2008
8:32 AM

Post #4580849

Port wine magnolia

Thumbnail by weed_woman

weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

February 24, 2008
8:33 AM

Post #4580850

Foxgloves in the shade of a frangipani.

Thumbnail by weed_woman

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 26, 2008
4:31 AM

Post #4589180

The only thing I could find today that you haven't seen yet is my first firespike flowers budding up ...I know they are common but I love their bright red *sparklers* as they open up!
Lovely plants everyone!
chrissy
Ooops Odontonema *blushing*

Thumbnail by chrissy100

weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

February 26, 2008
8:51 AM

Post #4589619

I uncovered this in the garden and it's almost flowering. Yummmm, Pineapple!

Thumbnail by weed_woman

weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

February 28, 2008
8:47 AM

Post #4599644

My first Heliconia flower. These were rescued form a customer who had pulled them out and discarded them in the sun for 2 or 3 days before I got hold of them. They've been in the garden, in crappy soil with irregular water, and wah-laa! Got to be happy with that!

Thumbnail by weed_woman

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 28, 2008
11:07 AM

Post #4599710

Wow ... I watched a doco on those things in the wild (jungle) and they even had tiny albino bats living in and depending on them ...all types of humming birds with beaks designed with special shapes according to which kind of heliconia they fertilize ...the different kinds of bugs and ants all evolved to fertilze these amazing plants ...and when a new hybrid type happens in the wild it is by accident like a hummingbird that might rip into a "flower" that it's beak is not designed for and thereby fertilizes something other than it's "usual type". It was fantastic each heliconia was like a little city.
weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

February 29, 2008
4:07 AM

Post #4603498

Well, mine is growing even more flowers above the original one, so maybe mine is going to be a skyscraper. I'm going to go and look fro residents now!
Kaelkitty
Adelaide
Australia
(Zone 10a)

February 29, 2008
5:11 AM

Post #4603724

Here's is picture of my BIG Echeveria. The taller of the two flower stems is close to a metre high! If you want to see a bit more of this plant as it has developed over the summer, follow the link here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/818066/

TTFN, KK.

Thumbnail by Kaelkitty

weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

February 29, 2008
8:44 AM

Post #4603991

WOW Jacq, thats beautiful! I love all the Echiveria flowers. My topsy turvy has one on it, but no where near as spectacular as yours! Well done.
shellyto4kids
melbourne
Australia

February 29, 2008
8:47 AM

Post #4603997

kk that is absolutely gorgeous. the more i see of succulents the more i like them. i think i will have to look out in the nurseries for that name now. what a gorgeous plant!!!
shelly
Kaelkitty
Adelaide
Australia
(Zone 10a)

February 29, 2008
10:20 AM

Post #4604029

Hi Shelly,
There are thousands of Echeveria hybrids, all different. By all means, buy any you see that you like but if you want that particular one you will have to wait until I can propagate it. Now that it has finally decided to flower I should be able to do so, but it will probably be six months to a year before I have plants big enough to sell or exchange. Let me know by D-mail if you want to go on the waiting list for a plant - that goes for the rest of you also!

TTFN, KK.
weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

March 2, 2008
8:36 AM

Post #4611731

Another Ginger, I think also commonly called Kahili. If anyone knows otherwise, chime in!
weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

March 2, 2008
8:37 AM

Post #4611733

well, I did add a picture but I don't know where it ended up!

Thumbnail by weed_woman

weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

March 2, 2008
8:37 AM

Post #4611734

fluffy waterlily flowers.

Thumbnail by weed_woman

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

March 3, 2008
10:42 PM

Post #4618218

Sue :) how could you call that white ginger common ...maybe where you are ...I had to scour flower joints everywhere to get mine and even then it came from the private garden of the owners wife ...it is the only perfume to rival the fragrance of the Angels ...lovely pictures.
chrissy
weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

March 25, 2008
9:03 AM

Post #4706598

Whoops, wheres my manners? Thanks Chrissy. It is lovely, and still going on the same flower heads! I really am having a wondeful time this year with the conditions being so right for flowering. I wish you could all come and visit the garden at the moment. It's just a picture!

Thumbnail by weed_woman

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

March 25, 2008
11:03 AM

Post #4706679

Well I know this won't come as a surprise but it is pouring rain ...today ...tonight ...no power for hours last night due to the big storm ...so the water is welcome but my growing conditions are ...well boggy ...most things drooping to the ground! I am starting to worry about some things because of the cool temps, so far so good but spooky is no ants this last few months The plants are alive with them ...but no home invaders not even one??? I get nervous when critters act like that, been here almost 17 years here and had to chase the ants out every summer ...nothing this season.
Getting back to the white ginger ...I really love it! I also have a great crop of edible ginger and cardomon growing very well in this bog this year. Lovely pics!
chrissy

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

March 25, 2008
11:08 AM

Post #4706690

Oh I forgot ...just to remind you ...

Thumbnail by chrissy100

Awchid
Gisborne
New Zealand

March 26, 2008
2:57 AM

Post #4710241

Hullo and good afternoon toyou all. At long last I'm back on deck, still not in garden m0de yet. Only plants on my deck are getting
looked after so far, they're easy to get to and need water every day. The weather here has been lovely, real holiday temps. I read about all the greebees lurking in your gardens and think how pleased I am my garden is over here. Nothing really to worry about, so why was I watching one white tail spider running all over my ceiling and hoping it wouldn't fall off onto the bed. The last thing I need at the moment is a spider bite. Dispatched it the next day when I could see what I was doing. Ilove all your photos ,I nearly grew a white ginger but someone thought it was a wild one and pulled it out [ what a waste ]. Has the pink one a strong perfume as well, I'm guessing it's a ginger too. Chrissy can you tell me what the plant is in your last post, I can't quite work out the flowers. I find it quite amazing that after about
50yrs of being a plantaholic there are so many plants we don't grow here, and yet I have always looked for the odd ones that are different as well as the usual ones. There is a succulent nursery about 2kms from me and it's lovely to go and browse. There are hundreds of
Huge echeverias but unless they have some baby's at my price they are far too dear. Also a very big bromeliad nursery about 4kms away.
A very dangerous place to visit. I have my eye on a baby of one that grows 1.5--1.5 and no spikes. at the momentI'm trying to source a Bat Flower, no luck so far, but will keep trying. Oh well I'd better go and hang out the washing instead of sitting here playing.
Bye for now Lesley.
brical1
Inland S.E QLD
Australia

March 26, 2008
3:21 AM

Post #4710319

Hi Lesley,Welcome back..I hope you are getting stronger by the day and that you'll soon be out and about gardening again.
Oooh,you get the awful white tail over there too...they give me the heebie jeebies just looking at them..I have found the odd one or two lurking in the house before too and often encounter them in the garden...they move soo slowly until you go to swat one and then i always seem to miss.They say that their bite isn't as toxic as some other spiders but I've read and heard of people who've been bitten and the bite has become ulcerated and taken a long time to heal..
Bat flowers can be grown from seed too,I see them for sale all the time on ebay etc...I don't know though how easy or how fast they would be from seed..

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

March 26, 2008
3:26 AM

Post #4710335

Lesley I hope you are in good health now :) that last one was snail creeper and the pink Sue posted is not ginger I don't think ...the snail creeper is called that because it looks like a snail shell and has the most beautiful perfume here a closer look ...

Thumbnail by chrissy100

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

March 26, 2008
3:34 AM

Post #4710374

Oh yes that bat flower ...really I think there are much easier less worrysome plants to grow than that ...if you aren't in the tropics.
My daughter in law (works in a Nursery ) and she tells me that the next big things are going to be Desrt Roses and that Pachywhatsit ...you know that elephant's foot thingos ...she is going to get me some ...she says the boss also throws the seedpods away (sobs from kk and k I bet) ...but she will try to get them out of the dumpster ...carob seeds coming too. So Lesley perhaps they may be something to look at because they are tough.
chrissy
Awchid
Gisborne
New Zealand

March 26, 2008
4:14 AM

Post #4710498

I've seen Desert Roses mentioned on American posts I wondered if they were lisianthus. I should get out my encyclopedia. well I will just have to look up the elephant thingy and if it's what I think you mean I only found out a couple of years ago that it had flowered for some
body. May have been in the garden collumn of our local paper. I've spent years growing things I shouldn't have, now most of them are heaving a huge sigh of relief and flourishing like crazy they've mostly always flowered, but last year after moving here they reeeally
flowered. Orchids I mean. Tuberous begonias still flourishing, vireyas going for it too. My cat likes stretching up and flicking off the flowers
then pulling off the stamens, wierd animal, lol. If the Bat flower likes similar conditions to phalianopsis, odontocidiams or laelias etc
I'll be right, plenty more room on my dining table. I love a challenge. I grew a babaco in a pot for about 6-7 years so I wouldn't lose it.
Last year Iplanted it in the garden here, now there is a1 inch fruit on it and 1 more flower. Where I lived it was either drought or black
frosts coming off the mountain and ranges at the head of our valley. I'm off to get out my book Lesley. Bet we don't get carob seeds here.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

March 26, 2008
6:34 AM

Post #4710682

Ok I was hoping to get out of spelling it but the Desert Rose she means is Adenium Obesum ...I don't have much knowledge of them but have seen them on the forums (mainly tropics) they sort of look like a fancy little fat bottomed frangipanni ...well to me a novice anyway. I will post some pics as soon as I have them although I usually get the plants thrown out and nurse them back to health ...many of my prettiest plants have come from the trash at daughter in law's Nursery ...such a shame to throw things away because they are not perfect but I get to have some great stuff that way ...no Angels (brugs) darn it! but I happily accept their cast offs and love making them better again ...I guess it is not worthwhile for the Nursery to put plants into the intensive care unit ...at the moment there is a rat plague and the rats are burrowing into the pots and eating anything with tubers ...they have had to set traps every where. The staff have to be careful because the traps are hidden and every now and then ...oops!
take care now.
chrissy
weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

March 26, 2008
9:20 AM

Post #4710761

Hi Chrissy and Leslie, not ginger but dwarf pink Canna. Wouldn't it be nice to have a fragrant Ginger of that colour?
The Adeniums are really easy to grow from seed. I got 5 out of 6 just using seed raising mix and keeping them moist. The trick is, as plants, they need lots of sun, not too much soil (very free draining) and NO water in winter. (maybe a drop every now and then, but definitely don't keep wet) They make great bonsai from an early age and you're right Chrissy, bulbous bottom (not yours) and a pink Frangipani like flower. I also have a Pachypodium and am Hopefully going to get my dry climate garden up and running before spring. I planted out lots of snippets of succulents today as I was tip pruning the sale plants. Not much point in re-potting them when i can't sell them, so i figure if the customers can see them in the garden, they might be more inclined to buy.
Hey Leslie, Bromeliad nursery, mmmmmmmmmmmm! I love Bromeliads!
I think your climate may be too cold for a bat Plant, as its borderline here apparently, and I think we are much warmer than you, but if you have a hot house you might be able to keep one alive.
Chrissy, you have no idea how hard it was not to dive into the skip bins at the nursery! just the pots that were being chucked! It costs a fortune to buy pots, even at wholesale, and I always wash, bleach and reuse mine. Also the cuttings if they weren't up to size, zzipppp, out they went. I kept thinking, "I'm sure I could fit that in my pocket" I never did though, as the staff discount was pretty good, especially for a nice fully grown healthy plant that required no nursing.
Did I show you my Pineapple? So exciting, (but slow) Will I be eating pineapple in Winter?

Thumbnail by weed_woman

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

March 26, 2008
12:46 PM

Post #4711075

I love that pineapple! :) ...my daughter in law is allowed to take whatever she wants from the bin ...some things are really expensive things you see for big dollars at the shops ...she is not a gardener and picks up things that she thinks I might like ...she said her boss often snaps pods off the Adeniums and just chucks them away ...same with the carob seeds and one year I got a pile of hybrid clivia seeds he threw out because he only wanted to grow the cream colours ...I grew them out and they are spectacular!
I have inherited so many dipladenias I have lost count. I consider myself a very lucky mother in law :) of course I will pass some around adenium seeds if she can scrounge some ...they have sold out of boges ...this is a wholesale place and they grow stuff in the thousands.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

March 27, 2008
12:25 AM

Post #4713937

Good morning everyone. I am cold . It has suddenly decided to be winter. We even had a few points of rain. Not enough to really water anything in the garden but it washed a bit of dust off.
I liked the look of those Adeniums too, so bought some seeds from eBay. They grew very easily and after about 3months were a nice size with their little fat bottoms starting to show,but as the weather got colder, they just gave up and died. They were in the greenhouse but it was just too cold for them I think in a warm place they may have survived.
I'll have to stick to what will grow here and not weaken , wanting pretty things that I know won't like the cold.
Lucky I am not near those nurseries or I would be head first into the bins all the time.
Lucky you chrissy, with your daughter in law so nice to you with the plants.
It amazes me what people throw away. I know nurseries are in business to make money, but if they put out a few parcels of leftovers for the local gardeners , they'd get more business.

Have a great day all. , Jean.
Awchid
Gisborne
New Zealand

March 27, 2008

Post #4715795

Evening all. I'll concede on the bat for the moment lol. But one of these days!!! The Adeniums are really lovely they remind me of something else. I'm glad your canna wasn't a ginger, on first seeing it I thought what a pretty canna then decided it must be a ginger too.
The snail vine is lovely eh I had a large one at my place it got so heavy it broke the pagola it was growing over so cut it back and left it to grow up a tree, that seemed to work okay. You sound just like me I always head for the TLC plants at nurseries otherwise it was cuttings,
seeds, school galas or church bazaars. Just as well I planted a lot of trees, they may survive on there own where as most of the plants wont. Oh well thats life eh. Sue how long did it take to get your pineapple to get to the size it is now? My D Grandfather used to grow them as a hobby, every morning he'd cart them out into the sun, then late afternoon back into the garage again, used to get fruit on them too.
Thought I heard a chef talking about red ones the other day, wasn't taking much notice, should have listened properly. What a hodge podge of comments I've made. Probably make some more tomorrow too, I do enjoy chatting. Lights out time, and cuppa time.
Night to you all or most likely you chrissy everyone else will be asleep. Lesley.
Awchid
Gisborne
New Zealand

March 27, 2008
9:53 AM

Post #4715807

I just had to come back and tell you this. I checked on my other favourite place and wow there were 2 beautiful elephants having a drink
and interacting. It's the first time I've seen 2 together what a way to end my evening. WOW WOW WOW. See ya.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

March 27, 2008
11:45 AM

Post #4715924

Funny you should mention that ... I have driven past two Elephants for years ...I live just around the corner from the the ex Bullen's circus folk who retired to a huge acreage near here and took most of their animals with them ...two big Elephants were always hanging around at the front fence because the tourists would stop and take photos and give them tasty tid bits.Recently the seniors have passed on and the sons have moved up to Steve Irwin's zoo ...they took the elephants with them so I don't see them anymore ...I miss them :)
chrissy
Awchid
Gisborne
New Zealand

March 28, 2008
12:18 AM

Post #4718889

just testing

Thumbnail by Awchid

77sunset
Merino
Australia

March 28, 2008
2:42 AM

Post #4719551

You are mean Lesley. Putting up a lovely pic of your epi like that. I can't get plants in from overseas, even if it is only next door to us. I may have to rent a rowboat and steal into your garden for a piece of the epi.
I probably have it in my collection but that means nothing .I need more.
I'd better look and see where hubby is. If he hears me mention more plants , he'll know that will mean more shadehouse space.
Hello chrissy. More little brugs shooting now. I have a real nursery of babies here now. .I potted up my canna and yellow clivia babies yesterday. I still have some hippeastrum seedlings to pot. I am getting into this seedling game. I would like to try a bit of tissue culture. I will have to look up some info on it and see what I need. It would be a good way to get plants from only a small piece of a parent. You know how it is , when you walk past a plant and a tiny bit can fall off. Sshhhh
Must get a bit of domestic stuff done today while it's too cold to do anything outside. The rain has gone ( what there was of it ) an it feels more like snow today.
Have a happy day all. Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

March 28, 2008
9:15 AM

Post #4720369

Hi All, Lesley, the pineapple took two years from the time I cut the top off and planted it, until it flowered/fruited. I have since popped another one in in another part of the garden, and plan to put in a couple a year until I have a steady supply! These are three of my adeniums from seed. I lost two to a frenzied, lizard chasing dog! I try to sell these at each plant sale, at the moment for $8, but no takers. I don't care as I get enjoyment from them and will continue to pot them up as needed.

This message was edited Mar 28, 2008 8:16 PM

Thumbnail by weed_woman

weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

March 28, 2008
9:17 AM

Post #4720370

Two frenzied, lizard chasing dogs! Leo (son) left and Lily (Mum) on the right

Thumbnail by weed_woman

Awchid
Gisborne
New Zealand

March 28, 2008
10:13 AM

Post #4720406

Evening all. The adeniums remind me of some plants I saw at the Ellerslie Flower show about 6 yrs ago. I'd never seen them before or since and couldn't find out who might sell them. The plants were about a metre high and had bright pinky red flowers. I cant remember the plump base though. I think I should fly over and buy those three there. Probably wouldn't let me back in again. It's okay Iv'e been watching borderline lol. That flower is queen of the night. Can't help myself every time it flowers I spend half the night outside with my camera,
the perfume is so powerful it almost gives me a headache. Even with the door shut I can still smell it in the house while the flower lasts.
I popped into the brugs forum tonight...Not hard to see why you are totally hooked on them Chrissy there are some beautiful colours.
Can you get all those in Aussie or is it like here hard to come by any sort of variety. We've only been getting decent helebores for about 5yrs. I sent to the South Island for some dark red ones but it was over $50 for something a bit special. Needless to say I went without.
Now I've learnt how to send a pic i'll have to do some gardening wont I. I tell you it's like a disaster zone out there. You'd think after all these years of looking after my plants they'd be able to do for themselves by now. Lol wrong species.
Lesley
Awchid
Gisborne
New Zealand

March 28, 2008
10:26 AM

Post #4720422

Chrissy tonight there were 4 pachyderms. will get to see the whole herd yet. I quite often watch the sun come up over there, Africa.
Never get tired of seeing the animals come in tho.

Thumbnail by Awchid

Awchid
Gisborne
New Zealand

March 28, 2008
10:33 AM

Post #4720434

PS. I probably shouldn't have sent this pic. OOOPs so shoot me ha ha.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

March 28, 2008
8:21 PM

Post #4722617

Gee ...so now you have mastered the art of the camera on line ...good for you! ...I went mad with mine at first ...but have settled down now ...after all just how many pics can I take with rain and wind ...yesterday my Lasiandra was so pretty with the snail creeper trying to strangle it ... but the wind was ruining the shot. Never mind I hope that will settle down soon and my lilly pilly is just a mass of purple berries just waiting to be snapped.
Sue I love those little Desert Rose plants ...very cute! in the American forums they grow them as houseplants in cooler areas Jean ...they make instant bonsai :) I hope to have some next week whoo hoo.
It was down to 11C yesterday morning and wet and windy ...does that mean Winter is here already? golly after the Summer I would not be surprised ...will we get our usual Autumn colours? (if the sun does not come out ) we need those warm sunny days and cold nights for that ...the weather is so skewed this year we may not, I look forward to the leaves colouring up all year and it just may not happen here ...oh well no compaints because so much of Australia is still suffering drought I sure wish I could share the water around.
Have a lovely weekend!
chrissy

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

March 28, 2008
8:24 PM

Post #4722627

Psssst Sue this thread is getting long ...time to leap to part 4 :)
Awchid
Gisborne
New Zealand

March 29, 2008
7:00 AM

Post #4724865

Perhaps one of you could tell me why, the flower i sent was a clear pic and the elephants had copyright written on them which spoilt the already not so clear pic.
Has been a beautiful day here, and I've been outside nearly all day and got heaps done. With the help of DD, she mowed the lawn
planted a mandrin 5mths waiting and a jacaranda I grew from seed, it's been in a bucket most of that time waiting for a home.
About 8yrs I think. Was hit by frost several times during that time. Probably pay tomorrow for all my efforts, worth it though.
weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

March 29, 2008

Post #4724939

heres the new thread,
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/828266/
Hi Lesley. Were the pics from different sites? The photograpehr or Web site designer probly put a copyright on. Just unlucky I think!

This message was edited Mar 29, 2008 8:24 PM

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Australian and New Zealand Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the new Australian Gardening forum Terry 28 Oct 21, 2009 10:20 AM
Where are you in AU . holty 219 Aug 22, 2014 8:21 PM
soap tree aka 'Sapindus Mukorossis' is it available in aus'? gardenlen 15 Jul 18, 2013 2:22 AM
bromeliad-blanchetiana ? boofhead 7 Dec 30, 2011 7:42 PM
What you don`t want to see in your garden. ginger749 93 Sep 5, 2007 9:05 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America