Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Article: Getting To The Root Of Things. The Rutabaga: Its History, Uses, and Culture: Timely in a rather silly way...

Communities > Forums > Article: Getting To The Root Of Things. The Rutabaga: Its History, Uses, and Culture
bookmark
Forum: Article: Getting To The Root Of Things. The Rutabaga: Its History, Uses, and CultureReplies: 4, Views: 80
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
tucsonjill
Lincoln, NE
(Zone 5a)

January 22, 2008
9:24 PM

Post #4439498

I was just reading a Winnie-the-Pooh story to my kids last night, where Rabbit was concerned about his prize rutabagas. My kids asked me what that was, and I had to confess I had no idea! Now I know, so the next time they ask I'll know what to tell them. Maybe we'll even try some as a fall crop ourselves--we always like to give a new veggie a shot!

Thanks for some great information!
bandannablue
London
United Kingdom

November 9, 2009
11:36 AM

Post #7255317

An essential ingredient along with onion potatoes and beef in the archetypal Cornish pasty...

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

November 9, 2009
1:36 PM

Post #7255534

Thanks for the comments and information the Cornish pastry sounds great. Can you share an authentic recipe? (some of my ancestors hail from the area)
gardenlassie
Fort Lauderdale, FL

November 10, 2009
12:47 AM

Post #7257866

I had never heard them called rutabagas till I moved to the USA from Scotland, where they were turnips (neeps).We always added them to vegetable soup, cut not too small, and I would fish out the larger pieces and mash them with butter. so tasty! We also used them as our lanterns for halloween exactly like pumpkins here. They were a lot harder to hollow out, though.

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

November 10, 2009
12:48 AM

Post #7257874

I wondered about that...just cutting them up for cooking purposes is quite a bit harder than cutting up a pumpkin.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Getting To The Root Of Things. The Rutabaga: Its History, Uses, and Culture Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Yummy ! Dea 16 Feb 8, 2008 10:51 PM
Rutabagas in braised dishes sghatdaves 2 Jan 28, 2008 6:22 PM
Rutabagas in stews ival 2 Nov 9, 2009 2:25 PM
Rutabagas (swedes to Aussies) in soups Beverlyiris 5 Nov 10, 2009 9:07 AM
RUTABAGAS SIVAD331 3 Nov 9, 2009 5:15 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America