Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Weather: January Daily Weather, Chilly everywhere!

Communities > Forums > Weather
bookmark
Forum: WeatherReplies: 231, Views: 1,375
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 22, 2008
11:39 PM

Post #4440088

Well, I'm having computer glitches, so I'm using a borrowed PC.
The weather here in N.Fl. is up to the low 60s here today.
I'll be heading to Va thursday morning and then back to Fl on Monday.
This is one of Sharon's pictures from earlier this week.
Looks like a tunnel to heaven.
Sidney

Thumbnail by sugarweed
Click the image for an enlarged view.

KashtanGeorge
Sochi
Russia

January 22, 2008
11:46 PM

Post #4440109

Sidney, I'm the first one yaaahoooo!!!!
The mountain brook in Jan.

Thumbnail by KashtanGeorge

DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

January 23, 2008
12:29 AM

Post #4440284

George: I love all the mosses and the green you have there! I admit, I didn't know where Sochi was til I looked it up, but I did know St. P. and the Black sea. :)
Kelli: Thanks for the fern pic. I'll take your word on the I.D. since I have no idea, but it sure is pretty.
Ric - What fun you must've had this morning! (not)
Joey: I will also say C, 71%.
Kiska: I told my DH yesterday what you said about opening the windows because it was in the 40s, and he literally shivered. LOL.
Sharon: Sir Gus is a very good foot warmer!

Looks like everyone has a little warm up today. OUr temps were actually at "normal" today. Hi in the 50s, low tonight around 40. But just like in Sharon's neighborhood, its' supposed to get cold again in a couple of days.
Deb

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 23, 2008
1:01 AM

Post #4440444

Joey Beautiful picture! The white thingy in the picture is a wave! Im going with C.
Kiska That looks like a great way to spend a vacation! Just beautiful, there is a lot of talent in ice sculpting.
Kelli Did you get more rain? Pretty ferns! Hope you are feeling a little more spunky!
Marylyn Hope you and the bunnies are feeling better. So...when the home schooling teacher is sick do the bunnies get a vacation day?! LOL!! Airborne does work really well.
Sidney Welcome back! Did you have a good trip? Thanks for the new thread. I really like that picture and I like the comment a tunnel to heaven!
Juri Nice picture! I know where St. Pete is and the Black Sea! (and now I know where Sochi is!)
Deb - I had the sliding glass door open this morning to catch the breeze. Jeff asked Is the door open? Why is the door open, its cold outside, turn up the heat! All I know is it felt good to me! LOL!

53.1 F / 11.7 C
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 88%
Dew Point: 50 F / 10 C
Wind: Calm
Wind Gust: 0.0 mph / 0.0 km/h
Pressure: 30.18 in / 1021.9 hPa (Rising)
Visibility: 10.0 miles / 16.1 kilometers
UV: 0 out of 16
Clouds: Few 7000 ft / 2133 m
Scattered Clouds 11000 ft / 3352 m
Mostly Cloudy 25000 ft / 7620 m

Now
Through 9 PM...a bank of sea fog will continue along the coast from St Simons Island and Cumberland Island to St Augustine. The fog may move to around 1 mile inland from the coast and be a visibility hazard in inlets as well as along A1A along the coast. Visibilities will be reduced to around a quarter of a mile. Marine interests as well as motorists should use caution.

Rest of Tonight
Increasing cloudiness. A slight chance of showers in the evening...then a chance of showers overnight. Areas of dense fog with visibility one quarter mile or less at times mainly at the coast. Low 52. East winds 5 to 10 mph shifting to the south in the evening...then shifting to the north after midnight. Chance of rain 50 percent.

The sea fog began creeping in around 4:00 this afternoon. Here is a picture I took around 4:40 - it was thick. There is always the "one" person on the road without their fog lights off and I'm usually behind him/her groaning and rolling my eyes...

This message was edited Jan 23, 2008 12:26 PM

Thumbnail by MySharona

KashtanGeorge
Sochi
Russia

January 23, 2008
1:06 AM

Post #4440462

Deb, and MySharona , you win my hands down!!! LOL.

This message was edited Jan 22, 2008 9:17 PM
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 23, 2008
10:55 AM

Post #4441902

The fog gone and we received 0" rain. It looks like all rain was south of Jacksonville Metro.

55.0 F / 12.8 C
Overcast
Humidity: 92%
Dew Point: 53 F / 12 C
Pressure: 30.09 in / 1018.8 hPa (Steady)
Visibility: 8.0 miles / 12.9 kilometers
Clouds: Mostly Cloudy 10000 ft / 3048 m
Overcast 20000 ft / 6096 m

Today
Mostly cloudy with areas of fog and chance of showers early in the morning. Partly cloudy with a slight chance of showers in the late morning and afternoon. High 66 coast. North winds 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 50 percent.

More fog

Thumbnail by MySharona

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

January 23, 2008
11:55 AM

Post #4441961

Morning All! We have 34 & it's Dyson Dark!

At Dublin...
Cloudy: 36F
Feels like: 31F
Barometer: 30 in
Dewpoint: 32
Humidity: 86%
Visibility: 10 miles
Wind: 6 mph WNW
Sunrise: 7:33 AM
Sunset: 5:37 PM
Spaecial Weather Statement...WEST JEFFERSON... SPARTA... BOONE...
TAZEWELL... MARION... BLAND... PEARISBURG... WYTHEVILLE... PULASKI...
RADFORD... BLACKSBURG... INDEPENDENCE... GALAX... FLOYD...
NEW CASTLE... CLIFTON FORGE... HOT SPRINGS... BLUEFIELD... HINTON...
UNION... LEWISBURG 514 AM EST WED JAN 23 2008 ... BLACK ICE WILL IMPACT TRAVEL THIS MORNING...
PATCHY DRIZZLE... ALONG WITH MOISTURE ON THE GROUND FROM MELTED SNOW HAS SET THE STAGE FOR THE FORMATION OF BLACK ICE.

Have a Great Day! Will be back tis afternoon! :D
Joey

Thumbnail by music2keep

sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 23, 2008
1:52 PM

Post #4442217

Did she answer our trivia?
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

January 23, 2008
2:43 PM

Post #4442353

Don't know about the trivia, but I'm sure someone will, Sydney. BTW, I loved the description you gave to Sharon's photo: "tunnel to heaven".
Sharon, those are surely some foggy pics! Hope you get some rain later today.
Marylyn, hope you and the bunnies are feeling better soon!
Joey, black ice is not good! :o(( but I love the picture of the snowy tree.
George, that mountain brook looks inviting. I can hear it "babbling" to me now! LOL

Gray skies here and cold. An arctic blast of even colder weather is on the way. Tomorrow and Friday our highs will be in the mid-30's and lows into the 20's and by Monday and Tuesday we are forecast to be in the 60's and 70's! Talk about a roller coaster ride! LOL

Current conditions as of 7:55 am CST

Cloudy
Feels Like: 28
Barometer: 30.27 in and steady
Humidity: 68%
Visibility: 10 mi
Dewpoint: 20
Wind: ENE 3 mph
Sunrise: 7:13 am
Sunset: 5:27 pm

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

January 23, 2008
3:06 PM

Post #4442439

HI Ya'll! I'm back!
Sidney, sorry I didn't answer the trivia question...I was in a rush for nothing. I guess you could say that I had a "senior moment". I thought that I had to work 8-4 this morning & I am to work 4-12. I was up until 3:00 this morning (every body getting the crud again), woke up at 6:30 & thought that I was late for work! Maybe I should go back to bed! :D If I could just get the internship at White Sulfur I will have set hours!

The answer to the trivia is...C!
Almost 3/4 of the Earth's surface is covered by water and ice.

TamaraFaye, I get these trivia questions from our local tv station's web site.
Juri, I know where the black Sea is...I have a world atlas but haven't looked up where Sochi is...(Loved my geography class) Love the Brook! Did you have to walk thru the thicket to get to it?
Gee, Sharon...that's some hefty Fog! :-O Thanks.

Later! :D
Joey

Thumbnail by music2keep

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

January 23, 2008
4:07 PM

Post #4442745

Tunnel to Heaven. I love that!

George, what a lovely picture. Is it close to your home?

Sharon, careful, Steven King wrote a story about fog... :))

Joey, black ice sent a lot of people in the ditch a few days ago. A few more went in while the officer was still there. I call your picture cold fingers. You should put that on the Texture forum :)) Yes, please go back to bed, you're making me tired :))

It was a chilly 11* this morn and has made it up to 14* now. Snow and wind expected, Arctic cold tomorrow. Brrrr, and we have dental appointments in the morning
kiska

(Zone 3b)

January 23, 2008
4:39 PM

Post #4442862

27 Dark~ snowing w/about 4" right now, these higher temps really make a difference in how quickly it piles up.
Sunrise: 9:41 Sunset: 4:35 gain of 5m1sec.
Whiteout conditions between here and Anchorage.
Today
Cloudy with snow in the morning becoming partly cloudy in the afternoon. Additional snow accumulation of 1 to 2 inches. Temperatures cooling into the 20s. Northwest wind to 15 mph.
Sugarweed~love the pic and title~have a good trip.
KG~loved the creek pic and finding Sochi~~
Deb~only one window open this morning:)
Joey and bp~careful out there on a black-ice day; pretty treacherous w/those conditions. Sure love the snowy pics, Joey.
MySharona~an approaching fog bank does sound like something from a scary movie. (The Fog)> take care.
Marylynn~hope you're doing better~
Nothing special about this; just the everyday around the house pic.
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

January 23, 2008
8:18 PM

Post #4443735

Hi, guys, such wonderful pics everyone!I'm busy, busy, busy, but I'm trying to catch up with you. Ihad to get the papers done for the new mortgage and loan at the bank for finishing the house. We went there on Sunday and it looked like this:

Thumbnail by adinamiti

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

January 23, 2008
8:25 PM

Post #4443763

Kiska, I think sitting at your house all snug and watching it snow would be a treat.

Adina, I can't wait to see your house finshed. How exciting!

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

January 23, 2008
8:32 PM

Post #4443792

I also had to go to the dentist and to a check up for my first pair of glasses...ugh, I'm getting old!
Billy, thanks, I don't think they have any heater inside the fortress, but I think they should have for keeping those things in the museum in a good shape.
Sharon, yes, it was Cici in the torture suite and with his tongue out!LOL The skeleton was real, I also photographed the note which says it was of a woman they found in the fortress.
I'm sorry I can't answer to you all, but I love all your pics and
My DD sent me some wonderful pics from her trip to San Bernardino, in Switzerland.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

January 23, 2008
8:35 PM

Post #4443799

Hey, Billy, nice to see you here!

Thumbnail by adinamiti

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

January 23, 2008
8:38 PM

Post #4443816

Adina, I'm on my second pair of glassses this January and my dental got bumped to the 31st. Can't say I'm too upset : ))

DD has a beautiful smile and is definately having a good time.

Thanks, It's nice to be able to keep up for a change.

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

January 23, 2008
8:44 PM

Post #4443847

Thanks, it's been a great day for her and her friends there!

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

January 23, 2008
8:50 PM

Post #4443871

Forgot to tell you it's getting warmer here in Bucharest, about 45 at noon and no freezing at night, isn't it great? It rained a little and it was cloudy all day.
Kiska, Happy Belated Birthday for your grandson at 18 , what a beautiful age! The room with balloons was so funny and a great idea!

Thumbnail by adinamiti

Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 23, 2008
9:08 PM

Post #4443928

[quote]So...when the home schooling teacher is sick do the bunnies get a vacation day?! LOL!![/quote]

They do this time around! LOL Ugh.. this has been really miserable. Charles is home with the same thing today (fevers of 101+, deep deep cough, etc), and the little bunny's school nurse called to say that she was running a fever, too. We thought she was over it, so we sent her back today. She'll be home tomorrow again, of course. The big bunny is fine, so far. It would be nice if she didn't catch it at all, but under the circumstances it seems highly unlikely. LOL

Adina, your house is looking wonderful!

George, I know where the Black Sea and Saint Petersburg are, too, but I hadn't heard of Sochi until you mentioned it. I did know where Krasnador was before that, though... Is that close enough? :-)

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 2:53pm CST (13 min ago)
Temperature 50 F 10 C
Dew Point 46 F 8 C
Humidity 86%
Pressure 30.12 in 1019.9 mb
Wind Speed 6 MPH 5 kts
Wind Dir NNE 30
Ceiling 500 ft 152 m
Visibility 5 mi 8.0 km
Current Conditions Mist
6 hour min temperature ending 11:53am CST : 43.0F / 6.1C

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

January 23, 2008
9:17 PM

Post #4443971

Thanks, Marylyn! How are the bunnies? I hope they aren't sick too!

Thumbnail by adinamiti

Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 23, 2008
9:35 PM

Post #4444061

The little bunny had a fever on Monday, so we kept her home from school Tuesday. She was fine all day Tuesday, playing and having a great time, so we though she was over it and sent her to school today. Her teacher and her school nurse both called when she was on her way home on the bus to say she had been acting sleepy all day and when they took her temperature at the end of the day it was 101F (38.3C). So she'll be home with us again tomorrow. She's still acting happy, though, so at least she doesn't feel miserable right now.

The big bunny is fine so far. :-)

Thanks for asking!
KashtanGeorge
Sochi
Russia

January 23, 2008
9:43 PM

Post #4444087

Marsue, the brook fills my valley with the water music all the year long.

KashtanGeorge
Sochi
Russia

January 23, 2008
10:11 PM

Post #4444199

Joey, thanks from my Mom - she is a Geography teacher!

Adina, I am boiling a whole pot of coffey, where are you all??? OK! Just let me know when...
Romania is a beautifull country! Thank's for the pics!
I'm realy greatfull for the high quality Romanian juices I drank in my younger years!!!
I would also like to reveal my gratitude for the high quality Romanian footwear we had imported from Romania back in the Soviet times!!! Better later, than never!!!
Marylyn from TX, how come you know about Krasnodar, and don't know about Sochi??! My guess, Krasnodar is abrother-city of Ostin, isn't it?

Bay laurel tree of my good neighbor.

This message was edited Jan 23, 2008 11:44 PM

KashtanGeorge
Sochi
Russia

January 23, 2008
10:16 PM

Post #4444216

My trivia is:

what time does it take for a solar energy to reach the Earth?:

a) 2 hours 35 min
b) 35 min 12 sec
c) 8 min 20 sec
d) 32 sec 5 msec
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

January 23, 2008
11:40 PM

Post #4444527

George: the answer is "c"--am I correct? I love that brook!

Adina: your DD does have a beautiful smile and pretty hair, too! I can't tell too much about the rest of her--she's all covered up! LOL Your builders seem to be making progress on your house.

[quote]Nothing special about this; just the everyday around the house pic[/quote]

If we had that much snow around our house, Kiska, there would be nothing "everyday" about it! LOL

Marylyn, so sorry about the fever, etc., that is going through your family. Get well soon, all of you!

Still cold here and getting colder. :o((

dragonfly62

dragonfly62
Nilwood, IL
(Zone 5b)

January 24, 2008
1:04 AM

Post #4444908

Sorry!! I got lost. It is 30 degrees and it is heading for 0 tonight. Tomorrow windy and 14 with wind chills at or near - that is -15degrees!! Yikes and calling for 50 on Mon. No joke. BEV

Thumbnail by dragonfly62

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

January 24, 2008
2:25 AM

Post #4445330

It is a dark and stormy night. Well, maybe not stormy, but it is raining.

Updated: 5:51 PM PST on January 23, 2008
Observed at: Van Nuys, California
Elevation: 797 ft / 243 m
46 F / 8 C
Rain Mist
Humidity: 89%
Dew Point: 43 F / 6 C
Wind: 18 mph / 30 km/h / 8.2 m/s from the ESE

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

January 24, 2008
3:13 AM

Post #4445652

You should write a mystery, Kelli! "It was a dark and stormy night. . ." LOL

Bev, our weather is going up and down like a yo-yo, as well. Pretty picture.
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

January 24, 2008
5:29 AM

Post #4446117

i am going to guess B on the trivia, since it continues to stay "daylight" about 30 min after sunset...

still lovin all the photos...

Marylyn, sorry the teacher is not well ;-( everyone get well soon!
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 24, 2008
11:01 AM

Post #4446341

Joey I loving the snow pics!
Sally I had to laugh. I think of The Fog every time we get heavy fog! I can get really creepy.
Kiska Great everyday picture!
Adina Your house is really looking good! I like the tile roof, so much prettier than shingle. I missed the note about the woman. Ill have to go back through the pics. Look at all that snow! Your DD is very pretty, great hair color! I dont mind going to the dentist for a cleaning anymore. They use a sonic cleaning system, its painless. Glasses, ugh. Im going to have to get bi-focals! LOL! Think Im going back to contacts this year.
Marylyn I hope yall feel better soon. Seems like everyone has had a touch of something this year.
Juri Thats another great place to sit and have a cup of joe! The moss and ferns are very pretty. What kind of tree is that? Its so green! LOL! I think its C) 8 minutes.
Bev Holy cow youre buried in snow!
Kelli Congrats on the rain! Thats awesome!

56.5 F / 13.6 C
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 85%
Dew Point: 52 F / 11 C
Wind: 0.0 mph / 0 km/h
Wind Gust: 0.0 mph / 0 km/h
Pressure: 30.06 in / 1017.8 hPa (Falling)
Visibility: 7.0 miles / 11.3 kilometers
Clouds: Scattered Clouds 2000 ft / 609 m
Mostly Cloudy 14000 ft / 4267 m

Today
Areas of fog early in the morning. Mostly cloudy with a 50 percent chance of showers...mainly from mid-morning Onward. High 60. Northwest winds 10 to 15 mph.

There was fog on the south end of the island yesterday morning. It's wasn't as bad as Tuesday. Here is a picture at the airport

Thumbnail by MySharona

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 24, 2008
11:03 AM

Post #4446342

Here's the gold tunnel to heaven! :)

sunset last night

Thumbnail by MySharona

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

January 24, 2008
1:51 PM

Post #4446607

Sharon: another gorgeous "tunnel to heaven"!
George: where are you? I want to know if I was right about the trivia question (c).

Current conditions as of 6:55 am CST

Fair
Feels Like: 17
Barometer: 30.38 in and rising
Humidity: 65%
Dewpoint: 17
Wind: N 7 mph
Sunrise: 7:12 am
Sunset: 5:28 pm
25High: 37 Low: 21

Today: Sunny High: 37 Low: 21
Tomorrow: Snow to Wintry Mix High: 33Low: 28
BRRRRRR!!!!

This message was edited Jan 24, 2008 7:52 AM

dragonfly62

dragonfly62
Nilwood, IL
(Zone 5b)

January 24, 2008
2:08 PM

Post #4446653

Sharon, I am not buried in snow. That is the only snow we had in Dec. $ degrees but not windy yet. I have my fingers crossed. BEV
kiska

(Zone 3b)

January 24, 2008
3:44 PM

Post #4447099

-1 Dark
chance of snow in the afternoon. Highs in the teens. Light winds. The warmer weather of the past few days has passed; the wind took a lot of snow off the trees.
Kelli~great start; rain in the weather report is good.
Adina~glad to see your home again; it's going to be so beautiful.
KG~very pretty and to hear the brook would be a wonderful way to sit and just take in the surroundings..
Bev~ very pretty.
MySharona~the gorgeous sky there is so nice to be able to see from here:)
Alpenglow lit up Lazy Mountain yesterday at 4:30pm. The camera froze after this; I'd taken a few others of the sunset and will post them later.
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska

dragonfly62

dragonfly62
Nilwood, IL
(Zone 5b)

January 24, 2008
6:24 PM

Post #4447839

I think I hit the wrong key I have $ degrees there!!! It's 12 right now. Bev
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

January 24, 2008
6:36 PM

Post #4447889

Marsue, the mystery to me is - Why does it rain more and harder at night here than during the day?

We got 1 inch of rain yesterday and overnight. (Yay!) It looks like it might kind of drip and dribble all day again today. DH flew in from Phoenix this morning and he said that there was snow on the San Gabriel Mountains all the way down to the foothills. I'm guessing that's down to between 3500 and 4000 feet. Does this elevation/snow thing seem strange to the rest of you? It seemed kind of strange to me when I first moved out here.

Remember that when it rains out here, it usally warms up back east.

Updated: 9:51 AM PST on January 24, 2008
47 F / 8 C
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 83%
Dew Point: 42 F / 6 C
Wind: 9 mph / 15 km/h / 4.1 m/s from the ESE

Thumbnail by Kelli

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

January 24, 2008
6:44 PM

Post #4447932

Kiska: gorgeous photo! I have never seen anything like it!
Kelly: I don't know. You'll have to ask one of our meteorologist friends about that "mystery". --and snow on any mountaintop in Arkansas for more than a few days would be strange. LOL BTW, that's a great photo.
KashtanGeorge
Sochi
Russia

January 24, 2008
10:50 PM

Post #4448956

Hi everyone!!! Pepper23 asked me to inform our wonderful friendly "Weather community", that she hasn't left, but having some problems with the internet wi-fi and is trying to fix it. She hopes to get it done by weekend.

SPB weather update: some snow and blizzard, at last! , I love it !!!! I real miss the real winter!
26F
Marsue and MySharona, right! The answer is C! TamaraFaye, good and poetic joke answer, anyways!!!

MySharona, the tree is Laurel. You do use the leaves of that sometimes, when you are cooking in some cuisines, don't you?

Kiska, that's exactly what I do in the South mostly. I brouse around and listen to the water music. Lol.

This message was edited Jan 24, 2008 6:50 PM

dragonfly62

dragonfly62
Nilwood, IL
(Zone 5b)

January 24, 2008
10:57 PM

Post #4448978

It is 15 degrees now but going to rebound and get a little warmer for tomorrow. Did anyone see this moon the night of the 22nd? BEV

Thumbnail by dragonfly62

KashtanGeorge
Sochi
Russia

January 25, 2008
12:12 AM

Post #4449302

Dragonfly62, cool pic! How come it's that green in IL at this time of the year???

dragonfly62

dragonfly62
Nilwood, IL
(Zone 5b)

January 25, 2008
12:51 AM

Post #4449496

Just one snow and that was in Dec. Bev That is a long needled pine which stays green.

Thumbnail by dragonfly62

KashtanGeorge
Sochi
Russia

January 25, 2008
1:01 AM

Post #4449550

I have a pic of a long needled pine with me ) under it in Dendrarium. I'll post it as soon, as I find it in my piles!

Kelli, here is that sponge fossil in the limestone wall of the 11-th century cathedral. Alas, I made it with my mobile phone camera.

This message was edited Jan 24, 2008 9:03 PM

DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

January 25, 2008
1:08 AM

Post #4449582

Hi everyone. I got waaay behind here!

50F now but headed to a low of 26 overnight. Again I say - NOT normal! C'mon springtime!
Clear and starry.
Deb
Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 25, 2008
2:20 AM

Post #4449999

George, we have friends who used to teach in Krasnador. :-)

We're slowly getting better, although still not well. It's going to be in the mid 40s and rainy tomorrow - again. :-)

Kelli, I think it rains more at night because the air cools down. Hot air can hold more water than cold air. That doesn't necessarily explain why it rains everyday at 2pm in Florida though. LOL (Well, everyday except for the one day when I forgot to put sunblock on and since it didn't rain we didn't realize how late it was and stayed on the beach for an extra long time.. Ouch!!! But I digress...)

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 7:53pm CST (16 min ago)
Temperature 48 F 9 C
Dew Point 34 F 1 C
Humidity 58%
Pressure 30.35 in 1027.9 mb
Wind Speed 12 MPH 10 kts
Wind Dir NE 50
Ceiling 3700 ft 1128 m
Visibility 10 mi 16.1 km
Current Conditions Cloudy
6 hour min temperature ending 5:53pm CST : 44.1F / 6.7C
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

January 25, 2008
2:28 AM

Post #4450042

Hey everyone!! Have a connection so am gonna take advantage real quick.

First off it was below zero this morning. Wind chill was probably close to -10. Only got to the teens for highs.

Yesterday I was on my way to work and there was a car fire on this big hill. Had to turn around and take another 15 min to work. Found out that a guy who lives at the top was coming out and a car that was going too fast hit him from behind and the truck exploded. He had oxyaccedeline tanks on his truck. He had collasped lungs and just barely made it out alive. You could see the fire for miles. I don't know about the other driver. It was a very scary scene and they had emergency people coming and going for hours.

Don't know when I can get back on so see ya'll next time!
kiska

(Zone 3b)

January 25, 2008
2:30 AM

Post #4450061

Tonight
Snow. Snow accumulation 6 to 9 inches. Lows 5 to 15 above. Southeast wind 15 mph.
Snowing as I write.
Gorgeous, Bev.
Get well soon now, Marylynn
KG~glad you're enjoying the snowfall there.
Deb~you going to be ok w/cold weather:( ? Maybe it won't last long.

dragonfly62

dragonfly62
Nilwood, IL
(Zone 5b)

January 25, 2008
2:36 AM

Post #4450128

Thank you Kisca

Thumbnail by dragonfly62

DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

January 25, 2008
3:05 AM

Post #4450382

Yes, Kiska, if I grumble enough, I'll get through our teensy cold snap just fine. :->
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 25, 2008
11:21 AM

Post #4451389

Marsue Thanks! I was so lucky to catch that sunset.
Kiska- Thats an amazing alpenglow picture! Love it!
Juri Ive never seen the laurel tree! Its so pretty and yes I do use the leaves in cooking. I bet that tree smells good! LOL!
Bev The pine is beautiful. Didnt see the moon on the 22nd, but last nights moon was gorgeous.
Deb LOL! It got cold here too last night! Brrr!
Marylyn- Glad yall are felling a little better. I feel for you.
Pepper What a horrible accident. So glad you werent around when it happened.

37.2 F / 2 C
Clear
Humidity: 46%
Dew Point: 17 F / -8 C
Wind: 2.0 mph / 3 km/h from the NNW
Wind Gust: 6.7 mph / 10 km/h
Pressure: 30.39 in / 1029.0 hPa (Rising)

Today
Mostly sunny...breezy...cooler. High 51. North winds 10 to 15 mph in the early morning...then northeast winds 15 mph with gusts to 25 mph. Wind chills 24 to 29 inland in the early morning.

And the wind is chilly!

Thumbnail by MySharona

se_eds
Millersburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

January 25, 2008
1:44 PM

Post #4451632

It didn't get too cold last night, about 18 degrees, but windy. Now the temp has shot up to 19 degrees and we have sunshine. It is supposed to really warm up today, maybe up to 34 degrees. Typical late January weather here, except we have no snow cover. My poor chilly daylilies!
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

January 25, 2008
2:05 PM

Post #4451694

We are not quite as cold as you are se_eds. It is 24 on my back porch right now.
Pretty pics: Sharon and Bev
George, that is an interesting fossil pic, even if you did take it with your phone!

Current conditions as of 7:55 am CST
Cloudy
Feels Like: 19
Barometer: 30.54 in and rising
Dewpoint: 10
Wind: E 5 mph
Sunrise: 7:12 am
Sunset: 5:29 pm
25High: 33 Low: 28

Today: PM Light Wintry Mix --High: 33;Low: 28
Tomorrow: High: 52;Low: 32
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

January 25, 2008
5:27 PM

Post #4452622

Interesting fossil, George. Thanks for sharing.

We got 2.7 inches of rain yesterday and overnight. We've got 3.9 inches of rain in the past five days. That's more than we got all last year. That's how the rain is here, one extreme or the other.

Updated: 8:51 AM PST on January 25, 2008
48 F / 9 C
Light Rain Mist
Humidity: 93%
Dew Point: 46 F / 8 C
Wind: 13 mph / 20 km/h / 5.7 m/s from the SE

kiska

(Zone 3b)

January 25, 2008
6:59 PM

Post #4453001

10 Light out/ 9:45am. Heavy snow/about 10" on top of the previous.
Snow in the morning...then isolated snow showers in the afternoon. Snow accumulation 1 to 2 inches. Highs in the teens. Light winds.
Tonight
Partly cloudy in the evening then becoming clear.
Lows 5 below to 5 above. North wind 5 to 15 mph.
MySharona~so pretty; sounds like a very chilly wind.
se_eds~hope the daylilies make it through till spring.
marsue~love the forecast of "light wintry mix", that's a new phrase and really sums it up, doesn't it?:)
kelli~hope the "extra" rainfall makes it into the lakes/creeks and groundwater.
Taken moments ago; 9:50am, from indoors; the camera froze when I stepped outdoors.
Anyone else having trouble w/ Sony DSLR A-100 freezing at about 10 above? Very frustrating.
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

January 25, 2008
7:09 PM

Post #4453031

Ha, Kiska--we rarely have 10 temps so I certainly couldn't help you with that question. Some of our friends in the "frozen north" will have to answer that one for you. That's a pretty picture, though. The kids around here would go bonkers if there was that much snow on the ground. LOL I noticed the other day that your daylight is increasing by several minutes per day.

Kelli, does that much rain make the canyon flowers bloom in your area?

No light wintry mix yet but I understand portions of the southern part of the state have ice. That's unusual for them but it just happened to be a cold front that brought moisture with it up across Texas and southern Arkansas.
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

January 25, 2008
10:04 PM

Post #4453726

where is Joey? i am missing the trivia... but still loving all the pictures, and the diverse terrain...

tf
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 25, 2008
11:22 PM

Post #4454025

Se_eds 18* falls under the too cold category for me! LOL!
Kiska Pretty snow picture! I dont know anything about your camera, but I found this site on the web. If you click on the feedback tab you can ask questions about the camera. It takes great pictures!
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonydslra100/

Kelli Thats great news about the rain! I bet your plants (and you) are lovin it!

45.9 F / 7.7 C
Overcast
Humidity: 73%
Dew Point: 38 F / 3 C
Wind: 3.0 mph / 4.8 km/h / 1.3 m/s from the North
Wind Gust: 9.2 mph / 14.8 km/h
Pressure: 30.41 in / 1029.7 hPa (Rising)
Clouds: Mostly Cloudy 1700 ft / 518 m
Overcast 25000 ft / 7620 m

Tonight
Partly cloudy. A 30 percent chance of rain showers after midnight. Low 40. North winds 5 to 10 mph.

It's going to be a nasty day tomorrow. I'll have to cover the succulents before dark. It's not supposed to freeze, but the cold and rain will get to them.

This message was edited Jan 25, 2008 6:57 PM

Thumbnail by MySharona

kiska

(Zone 3b)

January 26, 2008
12:32 AM

Post #4454234

Thanks, MySharona; will do check out that link.
The instruction booklet says it freezes at 0; but I'm finding it at about 10.
That's quite an awesome storm cloud developing.
Yesterday's sunrise.

Thumbnail by kiska

DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

January 26, 2008
1:04 AM

Post #4454367

[quote]Anyone else having trouble w/ Sony DSLR A-100 freezing at about 10 above[/quote]
Can't say I've had that particular problem, but I did ask my DH for ideas, cuz he's a pro-fessional photog. :) He has two possible solutions. 1) The problem could partly be condensation freezing when you go from pretty warm air, directly into the frigid stuff. Might try taking the camera outside and waiting to turn it on til it's been out there a few minutes. Freezing condensation could be gumming things up. OR 2) Place the camera inside a ziploc bag keeping air in it for a little layer of insulation right before you step outside.

Se_eds: It "shot up" from 18 to 19! LOL!
Sharon: Cool clouds.
Kelli - Congrats on your rain! Hope it means warmer temps in the east as your say. :)

37F on the way down to 28 overnight. Got the C9 lights on in my "greenhouse" and wrapped round my poor little Queen Palm. I truly hope we start to get "normal" weather soon. 37 should be our LOW. Brrrrrrr.

See? Grumbling again.
Deb
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

January 26, 2008
1:46 AM

Post #4454541

It's cold but not as cold as yesterday. Had some snow this morning but no accumulation.
kiska

(Zone 3b)

January 26, 2008
4:20 AM

Post #4455251

Thanks, to both MySharona and Deb for the info.
I looked at the link and there's lots to see and read,or to ask a question.
Deb~ I like the idea of the ziplock bag; might just give it a few seconds more before freezing. Let your DH know I'll give it a try and thanks, too.
Sounds like you're ready for the cold weather w/ extra warmth for the plants, they'll love it:))
Tonight's forescast:
Scattered snow showers in the evening then clearing over night. Areas of blowing snow after midnight.
Lows zero to 10 above. North wind 15 mph becoming northeast 20 to 30 mph.
Gusts to 45 mph after midnight.
Another Alpenglow ~ couple years ago on Jan. 30th.
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 26, 2008
3:05 PM

Post #4456207

28 (Wind Chill 21) and Grey...
Looks like the worst cold is over for at least 10 days.
Near 50 by Monday (or 56 if you watch another 'predictor' ... lol!)
Then back to slightly above Normal... 40

We have about 3 weeks of 'Winter' left.
Generally mid February sees the end of the super cold weather.
We still get occasional dips but nothing outrageous... usually... ;-)
Course this is when we do get our snow events...

Kiska how much snow is on the ground there now?
On the camera...
It might be worth your while to get it cold lubricated.
Special oils are used to help the mechanisms work better in low temps.
Also I sure you know this but batteries drain very quickly in super cold.
Keep a spare next to your body in an inner pocket.

Like Deb says let it adjust also.
When I did a lot of cold weather shooting I'd take out the battery and let the camera sit outside for a few hours.
When driving I put it in the trunk.
Also at below teen temps watch breathing on it too much.
Your breath will condense on it in a heartbeat.
When I came in I'd wipe it down and put it in a box w/ moisture gathering packets.

http://www.multisorb.com/products/desiccants/packets/minipax_html

Well off to start some construction.
I did a favor for a neighbor Thursday night.
His truck had knocked out and I took him to pick it up at the repair shop.
He offered to take me to HD to pick up a load of OSB sheets for the roof.

I LOVE the fossil shots.
I'll have to get some pics of the ones here.
I'd love to trade fossils too!
Mostly Upper Ordovician strata here

http://drydredgers.org/thumb_by_bryozoan.htm

Cincinnati has the most best exposures of Upper Ordovician ( "Cincinnatian age") rocks in North America.

Ric
kiska

(Zone 3b)

January 26, 2008
4:11 PM

Post #4456485

Minus 5; dark but beautiful w/nearly full moon and stars/long shadows on the snow~ 7am.
Highs 5 to 15 above. North wind 10 to 20 mph with gusts to 30 mph.
Big event at the hockey game tonight~ it's "tribute to seniors" on the team; our oldest gson being one. I've seen these tributes past years and always "chokes me up", tonight will be filled w/mixed feelings.
Ric~thanks for the many other ideas; and link. I'm bound to find one that works, at least above zero, thanks to the input from you all. I have noticed that a breath on the camera instantly films over the monitor.
There's about 18" snow at my location; less in Palmer where the wind blows; and several feet as you leave the "valley" floor and travel other places.
Kiska
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

January 26, 2008
5:12 PM

Post #4456745

Ric, are those fossil pictures all from the Cincinnati area? If so, that's pretty amazing to have so much in one area.

It seems like nothing around here is very old, and that includes the fossils. They are early Miocene (after the dinosaurs and before the Ice Age).

We got 0.4 inches of rain yesterday. It's not supposed to rain today until after dark. According to TWC, the last time L.A. got five days in a row with rain was in Feb. 2005. The rain should make for better wildflower showings this spring, as long as keeps raining at least once in a while up into March. Rain or no rain, though, it's a little early for wildflowers now. You'll get a few in February but it really doesn't get started until March.

Updated: 8:51 AM PST on January 26, 2008
43 F / 6 C
Scattered Clouds
Humidity: 97%
Dew Point: 42 F / 6 C

Yikes!!!

2 miles ESE of Big Pines, Los Angeles County.

Avalanche, reported by broadcast media.

*** 1 fatal *** avalanche occurred near the community of
Wrightwood. One off-duty ski patrol officer was killed.
Two others were missing.

dragonfly62

dragonfly62
Nilwood, IL
(Zone 5b)

January 26, 2008
5:24 PM

Post #4456794

It is 40 degrees, windy and cloudy but is welcome after the below 0 wind chill the other day. Come on Spring!!! BEV

Thumbnail by dragonfly62

TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

January 26, 2008
5:34 PM

Post #4456832

i agree, i am aching for Spring.

So sorry to hear about the avalanche, we pray the lost are found!

tf
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

January 26, 2008
5:40 PM

Post #4456866

Those flowers make me ache for Spring, too, Bev.

So sad about the avalance and the one killed and the others missing. :o((

Kiska, I saved your Alpenglow photo touse as background. That is a beautiful pic!

Interesting link to the fossils, Ric.

Our high today forecast to be near 50 which is considerably warmer than the past two days! Low tonight 31. It's gray and overcast here right now.
DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

January 26, 2008
6:39 PM

Post #4457130

Currently 48F and damp, kind of misty. My toes are cold. Going to freeze again tonight. So BEV, I really appreciate your sunny yellow contribution today! I'll 3rd that motion for spring!

We have a primary today in SC and I went to vote and there was this poor college kid sitting outside in a lawnchair collecting exit-poll surveys for CNN. It was about 43 at the time and very damp and breezy. Poor thing. When there was a lull in the crowd, she'd run jump in her car to warm up. She was shivering when she handed me the survey. I asked and she said she has to be there the full 12 hours. She's a lifelong SC resident and was just about blue. :)

Kiska: Gorgeous alpenglow!

Feeders were popular this morning.
Deb

Thumbnail by DebinSC

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

January 26, 2008
11:03 PM

Post #4458012

Updated: 1:51 PM PST on January 26, 2008
63 F / 17 C
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 35%
Dew Point: 35 F / 2 C
Wind: 10 mph / 17 km/h / 4.6 m/s from the SSE

We went hiking. It was muddy. We expected that but we didn't expect to see so much water. This is usually just a dusty trail.

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

January 26, 2008
11:05 PM

Post #4458016

The pond was dry all last year. We wondered if there would be any water in it now. We figured that maybe there would be a few inches, but it was filled to its usual depth. Even the ducks were back.

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

January 26, 2008
11:06 PM

Post #4458020

Manzanita - last year the manzanita flowers froze.

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

January 26, 2008
11:06 PM

Post #4458023

milk maids

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

January 26, 2008
11:07 PM

Post #4458028

Chaparral current - this is usually the first wildflower I see every year.

Thumbnail by Kelli

sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 26, 2008
11:23 PM

Post #4458095

Am enjoying your pictures Kelli. Isn't it great how lakes and ponds bounce back, even the fish sometimes. That looks like a great walk.
I'm in Hampton, Va and it is cold here.
I waived at you Debbie as we passed Summerville on our way up.
It's just 2 months and 4 days until april. Yea!! We can make it.
Headed back to Fl tomorrow and my DC is going back to Amarillo tuesday.
We've had a great visit.
Sidney
se_eds
Millersburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

January 27, 2008
12:11 AM

Post #4458301

I am so greatful for the pictures you are posting. Today started out with thick cloud cover - grey By noontime it was up to 25 and grey. For the afternoon and evening it was grey, but the temp is up to 29 deg. and only supposed to drop to 20 tonite. I mis seeing sunshine, but know that by about the 15th of February I will be out doing early cleanup. Just have to wait it out.
Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

January 27, 2008
3:42 AM

Post #4459046

24 and spitting a little snow tonight. It's supposed to warm up a bit--36 on Mon. and 40 on Tues. before falling back into the 20's and low 30's over the next week or so. I'm ready for Spring!

Nice pics Kelli. Are you going to get hit by that big storm that's moving into California? Tonights news said you might get a half years worth of rain in a couple of days.

Bev...I like those double coneflowers!

Henry...Cool fossils! We have quite a few around here too but not the selection you have. A lot of the flat rocks I collect from area stream beds to border my flower beds are loaded with fossils. I'll run out and get some pictures. Right after the snow melts...and it isn't Dyson Dark!

I wonder where rannveig is?

early_bloomer

Thumbnail by Early_Bloomer

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

January 27, 2008
3:51 AM

Post #4459067

E-B, we're supposed to get a downpour tomorrow. It started drizzling after dark.

... Potential for severe weather across the Southland later tonight
through Sunday...

A vigorous storm system in the eastern Pacific will spread heavy
rainfall... high Elevation Mountain snow... and strong winds to the
region tonight through Sunday. During the overnight hours... there is
the possibility of embedded thunderstorms that could produce very
intense rainfall rates... strong winds... small hail... and even a few
waterspouts.

On Sunday... a colder and more unstable air mass will move into the
Southland. This in combination with a strong subtropical jet will
increase the risk for strong thunderstorms. Some of these storms
could be locally severe... with the potential for damaging wind gusts
over 60 mph... large hail... and high intensity rainfall rates.
In addition... conditions will be favorable for waterspouts and isolated
small tornado activity on Sunday due to the potential for rotating
storms.
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 27, 2008
2:14 PM

Post #4459916

Kiska Does alpenglow occur in the winter months only? Its beautiful.
Ric Thats a great link for the fossils.
Kelli Thats awful about the avalanche. They are in our prayers.
Bev Love the Spring picture!
Kelli Its so nice to see the water in the creek and pond! The manzanita is unique. I really like it. I always enjoy your hiking pictures. I hope you dont flood. Keep us updated.
Se_eds We were grey and chilly all day yesterday too. Spring is coming!
E_B Great picture! Looking forward to your fossil pics.

44.8 F / 7.1 C
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 78%
Dew Point: 38 F / 3 C
Wind: 4.0 mph / 6.4 km/h / 1.8 m/s from the NW
Wind Gust: 7.4 mph / 11.9 km/h
Pressure: 30.18 in / 1021.9 hPa (Rising)
Windchill: 43 F / 6 C
Visibility: 9.0 miles / 14.5 kilometers
UV: 1 out of 16
Clouds: Mostly Cloudy 25000 ft / 7620 m

Rest of Today
Partly cloudy in the morning then clearing and breezy. Patchy fog early in the morning. High 61. Northwest winds increasing to 15 mph with gusts up to 25 mph.

Thumbnail by MySharona

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 27, 2008
2:18 PM

Post #4459930

I received a d-mail from Joey:

"JW is sick & in the hospital with RSV (respirtory virus), which has caused his pneumonia. They have all been at the hospital since Thursday. He's slowly improving, but think JW still has a way to go. He is on a steroid, antibiotic, breathing treatments (every 4 hours), & a cough medicine. JW was on oxygen for 3 days, but he doesn't need it any more. Keep him in your prayers."

Let's keep them all in our prayers. Sending prayers and hugs your way Joey and family.

Thumbnail by MySharona

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

January 27, 2008
3:22 PM

Post #4460077

Hi, guys! It's getting cold here, 40 today at noon, they forecasted a storm and snow for next week.
Sharon, thanks for the update on Joey ! I'll be praying for little JW to get well soon, poor baby! It's such a terrible virus going on , all over the world, seems they are stronger and stronger every year...ugh! We've all been sick too, with complications and fever for some of us, all over the country.
Your pictures are great Sharon, love the sky and sunset!
Kiska, the alpenglow pics are amasing, like all your pics !When we were on our trip to the mountains, our friend had the same problems with her camera...she just couldn't take any shot when it was about 20 outside. She has a Canon with 2 batteries, while my Canon has an accumulator and works anytime.
Kelli, love your trip pics, you bring us so much informations!
Bev, your winter pic is gorgeous, so is the coneflower one!
Yuri, you're welcome for the juice and shoes, I'm glad you liked it! Our countries have always trade different things, as neighbors. when I was in school, about 30 years ago, we learned Russian as a second language, but I'm sorry to say I don't remember much now!
Ric, thanks for the link, very interesting!
Marylyn, I hope your bunnies are well now!
Deb, great pic of the feeder!
E_B, great pic, is that a painting inside the room?
Marsue, thanks, sending another picture of DD, to see the rest of her!LOL
Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 27, 2008
3:51 PM

Post #4460193

Joey you are of course in our Thoughts here!
Good Luck!

Kelli we fly over Wrightwood every time we come into L.A. during Christmas.
As it's usually at night it makes for a stunning sight.
Man I hated to hear about that tragedy there.

Love those shots!!!
How low is the snow in the mountains around Tijunga?

The Cincinnati Arch is world know in the Fossil Trade.
Basically the area streched and formed a rift millions of years ago.
This allowed the ocean to come flooding in.
Then as the mountain building started it was thrust upwards pushing it past the existing strata.
Then during the ice ages it was scraped off and water runoff cut deep valleys into it.
So now it's just meters below the surface in most places.
When they built the HWY's here they cut deeply into the Arch in many places.
So we can just drive up and "Fossil".
I'll get some shots of the rocks we have in the yard.

30 (Wind Chill 21) currently Sunny and going for above 40!
55 Tomorrow!!!!

Ric
DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

January 27, 2008
4:13 PM

Post #4460270

Hi everyone!
Joey: Keeping you and little JW in our prayers.
Adina: Your DD must be the most stylish gal on the slopes! She's very cute.
Kelli: Enjoying your pics as always. Hope that "unstable airmass" doesn't do damage.

...and yes, wonder where Rann is?

47F on its way up to a high of 60! Yahoo! Finally a normal high temp. One more light freeze tonight and then they are predicting "normal" the whole week. (Highs near 60 and overnight lows round 40.)
Sunny day.
Deb
PS-everybody likes suet..

Thumbnail by DebinSC

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

January 27, 2008
7:09 PM

Post #4460929

Poor JW! He's in my prayers, too.

Ric, I don't know how low the snow got behing Tujunga. I saw the snow when we were out yesterday and it was a lot lower than usual. If I must guess, I'd say around 6,000 ft. There was also snow on the mountains of Ventura County. Snow only lasts there (the peaks that are visible from Agoura, Thousand Oaks, and such) for a few days at a time. Here is a nice picture in Orange County. http://www.wunderground.com/wximage/viewsingleimage.html?mode=singleimage&handle=mauidave&number=83&album_id=18&thumbstart=0&gallery=#slideanchor

We got 2 inches of rain overnight. There is some misty rain right now and it is windy. They say there could still be some heavy rain yet today. (BTW, the state slogan is "Eureka", not "When it rains, it pours".)

Updated: 10:51 AM PST on January 27, 2008
55 F / 13 C
Light Rain Mist
Humidity: 77%
Dew Point: 48 F / 9 C
Wind: 17 mph / 28 km/h / 7.7 m/s from the SSE
Wind Gust: 23 mph / 37 km/h / 10.3 m/s

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

January 27, 2008
7:38 PM

Post #4461040

Wind: SW at 16
Humidity: 44%
Dewpoint: 31
Pressure: 30.08 in. falling
Sunrise: 7:29 am
Sunset: 5:33 pm
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

January 27, 2008
8:05 PM

Post #4461150

yes, prayers and healing to Joey and family. looks like we've got it here too...

dragonfly62

dragonfly62
Nilwood, IL
(Zone 5b)

January 27, 2008

Post #4461255

It is 56 degrees here. I don't beleive it ,but supposed to have rain the next two days and then 30s again. It will probably storm. BEV
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

January 27, 2008
9:15 PM

Post #4461431

Joey, prayers going up little JW and for the family, too.
Deb, I love the bird shots. We have cardinals and snowbirds at our feeder but no goldfinches or little woodpeckers. :o(( I miss them. sniff, sniff We also have several pair of mourning doves. They scratch on the ground beneath the feeder and get the seeds dropped by the others.
Kelli, as usual, your outdoor photos are great.
Adina, your DD has cute dimples, too! What a smile!
Ric, how's the kitchen remodel coming along?
Sharon, love the flower pics, too.

Our forecast for the next couple of days sounds like a repeat of yours, Deb. I'll certainly take it!!

Current conditions as of 2:55 pm CST

Fair
Feels Like: 49
Barometer: 30.27 in and falling
Humidity: 58%
Dewpoint: 34
Wind: ESE 7 mph
Sunrise: 7:10 am
Sunset: 5:31 pm
kiska

(Zone 3b)

January 27, 2008
10:42 PM

Post #4461797

Minus 3 and climbing from the low of minus 9. Sunny and bright.
Highs zero to 10 above. Light winds.
Lows 5 below to 5 above. Northeast wind 5 to 15 mph.
So far behind today; just a quick get well soon to JW and Adina/family. How are you Marylnn? And, also wondering about Rann.
Love seeing all the water/flowers on your hike, kelli. Sorry for the loss of life in the avalaches, too.
MySharona~alpenglow doesn't happen in the summer; the sun is too high above; it's the low light of winter that really lights up the mts.
Good luck w/warmer weather, Deb..
How about some frost till then~~

Thumbnail by kiska

KashtanGeorge
Sochi
Russia

January 27, 2008
11:31 PM

Post #4461978

Hi everyone!
We had some snow yesterday.
26.6F
The skating rink on the Palace square near my house.
Kiska, I also had my camera freezing (I did't charge the acumulator for long).
Adina, it's very surprising, that you studied Russian at schools in Romania! I didn't know about that.

This message was edited Jan 27, 2008 7:34 PM

KashtanGeorge
Sochi
Russia

January 28, 2008
12:30 AM

Post #4462255

My trivia for today.
What has the highest content of vitamine C?:

a) Lemon
b) Unripe walnut
c) Black-currant
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

January 28, 2008
12:31 AM

Post #4462264

I have no clue but I'll choose walnut. :~)
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

January 28, 2008
1:44 AM

Post #4462527

wow, what a skating rink, and love those ice crystals!

i am gonna go with black currants, cause thye sound like the healthiest choice. so curious think i'll go google...
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 28, 2008
2:01 AM

Post #4462600

George the answer is D. a Jalapeno Chile Pepper.
I too am praying for JW and Joey. It's so scary when they are tiny.
Thank God he's breathing on his own again.
We made it back to Jax okay. Nice drive on a sunny but cold day.
Sidney
kiska

(Zone 3b)

January 28, 2008
4:42 AM

Post #4463473

KG~I'll choose Black currant. Love the skating rink; do you skate?
Welcome back, Sugarweed. Glad you had a good trip home.Where to next?
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 28, 2008
11:07 AM

Post #4463937

21 heading for 51 .
Then a bit of rain and a Low tonight of only 43 .
Mid 50's tomorrow.

Our temps go up...Kiska's come down... lol! (sorry)

Man that looks like a cold skating rink Jorgi.
Ours are all indoors. Not as pleasing to the eye but...

We got the upper cabinets installed in the Kitchen.
Because we have to either rebuild or modify each one it's taken a while longer than we figured.
But now it's finish sanding and paint.
Off to the lowers next weekend.

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 28, 2008
12:42 PM

Post #4464044

Adina I hope you and family feel better soon too. Your daughter is beautiful!
Deb Great bird pics! Glad you are getting a part of the warming trend we are too!
Marsue We have a whole flock of the mourning doves that come by several times a day.We also have several Cardinals, Carolina Wrens, Titmouse, etc. I get tickled with the mourning doves when eat while lying down!
Kiska Your picture looks like a decoration, very pretty.
Juri Im going with A- lemon
Sidney waving from Fernandina! Glad you made it back to town safely.
Ric The cabinets are looking good!

39.6 F / 4 C
Clear
Humidity: 54%
Dew Point: 24 F / -4 C
Wind: 2.0 mph / 3 km/h from the NW
Wind Gust: 5.8 mph / 9 km/h
Pressure: 30.24 in / 1023.9 hPa (Rising)

Today
Mostly sunny. High 60. North winds 5 to 10 mph becoming east in the afternoon.

Prissy and Sylvester snoozing last night.

Thumbnail by MySharona

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

January 28, 2008
1:12 PM

Post #4464083

Sharon: give Prissy and Sylvester my sympathy --they have such a hard life! LOL
Those cabinets are looking good, Ric.
George, is that the Winter Palace behind the skating rink? I'll also go with C for the answer to your trivia question.
Kiska: another gorgeous photo and another one which I am saving!

Today: Cloudy and windy. Slight chance of a shower late. High 59F. (Did y'all see that? 59!! WOOHOO!!) Winds S at 15 to 25 mph.
Tonight: Rain showers early then thundershowers overnight. Low 53F. Winds S at 10 to 20 mph. Chance of rain 60%.
kiska

(Zone 3b)

January 28, 2008
4:48 PM

Post #4464905

11 Dark 7:30am
Sunrise: 9:30 Sunset: 4:49 Gain of 5m17seconds today;.
Snow accumulation less than 1 inch. Highs in the mid teens to lower 20s. Northeast wind 10 mph. Local gusts to 30 mph in the morning.
Ric~ the cabinets are looking good; I like the lights, too. Will try some dessicant packets in camera bag. Thanks.
marsue~thanks, glad you liked the pic.
And, speaking of liking photos; Prissy and Sylvester are so cute; except for the north winds, your weather looks ok, too,
"Tribute to Seniors" night at the hockey game; my gson/daughter; the fog machine was in full force; made for foggy photos. (Palmer won the game. They're going down to Homer, 400 miles, at the end of the hwy, on Wednesday; returning on Saturday.)
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska

fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

January 28, 2008
5:31 PM

Post #4465147

I rarely ever visit this site but roaming thru it this morning I thought you would all like to know how things are here in Calgary, Alberta.

This morning at 730 am the official temp was -32C with wind chill factor -47C!

At my house it is slightly (LOL) warmer at -25C!

Supposed to be like this most of the week . One of the dogs would not even go out into the yard, the other did come out with me when I went to shovel snow but in a couple of minutes she was sitting on the back steps waiting for me. ( They did go out earlier to pee/poop but did it pretty quickly) So we did not go for our morning walk!

Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 28, 2008
6:21 PM

Post #4465402

Brrrrrrr, fancyvan!!!! Thanks for roaming thru. We hope you roam back soon. :-) Keep warm!

Mohawks are back, I see, Kiska. LOL I hope they have a great trip.

Joey, I'm praying for JW and all of you. I sure hope he recovers soon, poor baby. Thanks for letting us know, Sharon!

We're feeling a LOT better. We went to church yesterday morning and then had to take a nap in the afternoon. It was the first time I'd been out of the house for a week, and I was completely wiped out. Very pathetic! Hopefully on Wednesday I can start dancing with my friend again. :-)

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 11:53am CST (21 min ago)
Temperature 68 F 20 C
Dew Point 61 F 16 C
Humidity 78%
Pressure 30.06 in 1017.8 mb
Wind Speed 13 MPH 11 kts
Wind Dir SSE 160
Ceiling 4600 ft 1402 m
Visibility 10 mi 16.1 km
Current Conditions Cloudy
6 hour min temperature ending 11:53am CST : 52.0F / 11.1C
6 hour max temperature ending 11:53am CST : 68.0F / 20.0C

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

January 28, 2008
7:47 PM

Post #4465729

52* and mostly sunny.

The only rain we've seen today is snow melting off the roof. Tomorrow is supposed to be arctic air and blizzard like conditions. I'll believe it when it happens.

I've been out picking up sticks, and filling birdfeeders. It's perfect weather for sinus infections so I don't feel too bad for staying in the rest of the day.

Oh Joey, prayers for JW. How terrible!!! Poor little guy!!!
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

January 28, 2008
7:59 PM

Post #4465770

Welcome, fancyvan, glad you popped in. Come back soon! After seeing your temps. I don't think I'll complain about our temps. today. LOL

Kiska, good pic of DGS/daughter. Is that the DGS who recently had a birthday?

Here's a link which someone posted on another forum. Maybe it will perk up everyone who is longing for spring!

http://www.wildlifefocus.org/
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

January 28, 2008
8:17 PM

Post #4465851

Sunny but windy and chilly. We got 1 inch of rain yesterday.

Updated: 11:51 AM PST on January 28, 2008
53 F / 12 C
Scattered Clouds
Humidity: 47%
Dew Point: 33 F / 1 C
Wind: 10 mph / 17 km/h / 4.6 m/s from the WSW
Wind Gust: 18 mph / 30 km/h / 8.2 m/s

KashtanGeorge
Sochi
Russia

January 28, 2008
8:59 PM

Post #4466007

Thanks for your guesses! The answer for the trivia is B! The unripe walnut has 50 times more vitamine C than lemon and 8 times more than black-currant!!!
That's a real miracle tree!

We have
26F.

Here is the pic of Atlases ( the new Hermitage).

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 28, 2008
11:48 PM

Post #4466512

Marsue LOL! Our children are so spoiled! Were you able to get out and enjoy the temp change? Thanks for the link. Ive never seen so many hummers in one place at the same time!
Kiska It was a beautiful day today, a little nip in the air, but no complaints from me! Congratulations on the win! Go Moose! LOL! Great picture!
Fancyvan - WOW and Welcome! I dont blame your dogs one bit. I would go outside either for anything!
Marylyn So glad yall are getting better. I still have a sore throat and sniffles, but for the most part its all gone. Seems like this stuff just wont go away.
Juri Need to eat more walnuts just not sure if I want them if they arent ripe! Great picture! The architecture is just beautiful.

48.0 F / 8.9 C
Partly Cloudy
Dew Point: 28 F / -2 C
Pressure: 30.21 in / 1022.9 hPa (Steady)
Clouds: Few 25000 ft / 7620 m

Tonight
Partly cloudy. Patchy frost after midnight. Low 40. Southeast winds 5 mph shifting to the south after midnight.

Taken today at lunch

Thumbnail by MySharona

KashtanGeorge
Sochi
Russia

January 29, 2008
12:58 AM

Post #4466816

MySharona, the the unripe walnut smells like medicine. It contains too much iodine. I also own some land near Krasnodar, and I've got a lot of walnut trees on that land. Once I came over there in the end of the summer. I've noticied a lot of green stone-fruit on the walnut trees, so I decided to taste those ( I knew those must've been good for health). You can emagine the impression on my face after I cut those with the knife...Oh wow, I thought I'm in some surgery. Lol.
But recently, while my vacation trip to my Sochi lands, I was communicating with my good neighbors. And I was offered a sip of liqueur made of walnut membranes. That stuff has some real impact...
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 29, 2008
2:08 AM

Post #4467212

48 (Wind Chill 44) almost there w/ Kelli!
Raining, T-Storms tomorrow then Yikes!
Back to a high Weds of 31 then up to mids 40's thru the weekend.
Can you say Yo-Yo... lol!

Fancyvan I've worked outside at -26 F... forget that wind chill!!!!
YOUR DOGS HAVE THE RIGHT IDEA!

Here's a shot from the backyard.
This is some of the Fossil Rock (Limestone) we picked up beside the HWY.
NOT for the fossils just for building up the planting beds.
We'll go Fossiling here in a few weeks.
The freeze/thaw really brings them tumbing down.
Some bigger than our car!

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

January 29, 2008
2:26 AM

Post #4467353

I can't believe I got the trivia right. lol. Go figure.

temps in the 50s.

wind advisory in effect from 8 am to 6 pm cst Tuesday
The NWS in kansas city/pleasant hill has issued a wind advisory, which is in effect from 8 am to 6 pm cst tuesday.
A powerful arctic cold front will slam across the region early tomorrow morning. Winds will shift into the northwest and increase abruptly with the passage of this front, averaging 25 to 35 mph with gusts of 40 to 50 mph possible.
Temperatures will plummet during the day, with wind chills falling to between zero and five below zero across northern missouri by nightfall. In addition, a band of snow will affect much of the region during the late morning and early afternoon hours. These strong winds will produce significant travel problems as blowing snow may reduce ground visibilities to less than one half mile at times. Persons should use extreme caution, especially along interstate 35 where cross-winds will be maximized. Loose outdoor objects should also be anchored.
A wind advisory is issued when sustained winds are forecast to be 30 to 40 mph, or gusts ranging from 45 to 57 mph are expected. Winds of this strength may cause minor property damage without extra precautions. Motorists in high profile vehicles should use extra caution until the winds subside.
KashtanGeorge
Sochi
Russia

January 29, 2008
2:29 AM

Post #4467378

Ric, you are sooo lucky to have those fossils on your soil! I mostly find mine on the beach...
DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

January 29, 2008
2:32 AM

Post #4467409

Well the weather people pulled a fast one on us yesterday. Ovenight was supposed to be mid-30s and it was nice and sunny yesterday, so I uncovered the plants. Woke up this morning and it was 29 and a thick frost on the ground. Grrrr.

They also delayed our warming trend as it's going to freeze again tonight. Sigh. After reading the temps in Alberta though, I should just quit my griping! LOL!

I hope all of you who are feeling poorly start to perk up soon!
George: Those are amazing columns! Huge!

I was over in Beaufort, SC today for work, and took a lunchtime stroll. I noticed this little side-yard.
Joey I took this one for you because this yard was full...really full.. of ferns.
Deb

Thumbnail by DebinSC

KashtanGeorge
Sochi
Russia

January 29, 2008
2:33 AM

Post #4467426

Pep, you have a tough winter state, since I had known it from my childhood!
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

January 29, 2008
2:38 AM

Post #4467461

LOL. We can't win here in MO. We get everything. Even dust storms that come from down south.
KashtanGeorge
Sochi
Russia

January 29, 2008
2:46 AM

Post #4467516

Anyways, your beautifull park beats anything!!! Providing, there work such good people as you!

This message was edited Jan 28, 2008 10:48 PM
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 29, 2008
2:53 AM

Post #4467561

I uploaded a few fossil shots from the yard rocks.
These are from stepping stones and raised beds mostly.

Here's a shot of the Arum...
It came thru the 3 degree temps a few nights ago perfectly.

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

January 29, 2008
3:43 AM

Post #4467778

MIL is from Missouri and growing up, for heat they had a wood stove in the kitchen and a wood stove in the living room, and that was it.
kiska

(Zone 3b)

January 29, 2008
4:13 AM

Post #4467911

http://www.adn.com/ This site has a front page pic of the avalanche hitting the state capital town of Juneau this afternoon.
Tonight:
Cloudy with periods of light snow or flurries. Patchy fog after midnight. Lows 5 above to 15 above. Light winds.
Deb~what a beautiful little yard you found.
Those fossils are fantastic,ric. Must be fun to dig and discover them. (or just find them)..
KG~would be a great find on the beach, I'd think. Fun for everyone to go beachcombing.
pepper~sounds like a winter weather report for sure; keep warm.
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 29, 2008
10:59 AM

Post #4468382

Juri Just thinking about what the unripe walnut would smell like has me pinching my nose!
Ric You could use the fossil rock for landscaping! Ive never seen anything like it. The arum is gorgeous and obviously very hardy.
Pepper Hang on! Sounds like you are in for a cold windy ride today.
Deb Thanks for posting the garden picture very pretty! Beaufort is such a pretty city.
Kiska Thanks for posting the link and the picture is great. The article didnt mention anyone getting hurt during the avalanche. Does that happen often?

39.0 F / 3.9 C
Partly Cloudy
Humidity: 88%
Dew Point: 36 F / 2 C
Wind: 0.0 mph / 0 km/h
Wind Gust: 0.0 mph / 0 km/h
Pressure: 30.15 in / 1020.9 hPa(Rising)
Clouds: Few 20000 ft / 6096 m

Today
Partly cloudy. High 70. Southwest winds 10 to 15 mph. Niiiice! :)

I still have buds on the Christmas cactus. They may fall off though with the temperature change today. Heading to the polls after my shower this morning.

Thumbnail by MySharona

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 29, 2008
11:06 AM

Post #4468392

45 here at 6 AM going for the low/mid 50's by dark (the next dark...lol!)

Around here we use fossil rock for everything.
You can't help it if you get local rock.
There are though rocks and boulders brought down by the glaciers during the ice ages.
Makes for a fun mix sometimes.

These shots are some random rocks in the yard.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rnranimals/sets/72157603811920898/

Ric
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

January 29, 2008
12:08 PM

Post #4468451

Right now it is windy and 50*. By 4pm it will be 21*.

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

January 29, 2008
12:14 PM

Post #4468467

Good Morning! All! :D Thanks (all of you) for your thoughts & prayers. The "little critter" is back home! :D He is still on the steroid, "breathing treatment", & antibiotic, but sounds & obviously feels better! He goes back tomorrow for a check up.
It's still Dyson Dark for the moment, but due to get lighter at any time now! :D We have a temp of 35 w/ rain predicted for the day.

Kelli, I'm thrilled that you have gotten all of that rain, with no flooding! :D I saw a news cast on the avalanche...very sad. Love the trail pics! :D
Kiska, 'Hope that you figure out how to keep your camera from freezing! :-O
Deb, Love the birdies at the feeder! :D
Sidney, Glad that you had a good trip, but glad to have you back at the house. :D
Ric, Your cabinets are really shaping up! :D And look at those fossils! I have seen a few like that here, but not very many.
Marylyn, Glad that you & everyone there is finally getting well! I would rather me be sick than the "kiddies".
Sharon, you are really getting good w/ your new camera! :D (did I say that, already?)
Rann? Where are you?
Dyson!? And where are You? Doing a lot of work? :D
Pepper? are you sending us another cold snap?

Well, I'll get back later...Thanks Again! :D
DH couldn't get up the hill for a little while...Alas! now the snow is gone!

Have a Marvelous! Day! :D
Joey

Thumbnail by music2keep

TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

January 29, 2008
3:57 PM

Post #4469138

good to see you back Joey!

well, i should know nutrition, that was one heck of a trivia question. i ought to run to the store to get some walnuts, but i bet they are all over-ripened... so congrats pepper! ;-)

our weather here changes so much it bores me. i don't even watch the news, just look outside to see what it's doing. lately wind warnings and fires, ;-( still windy and dry today.

i am just here for the beautiful pictures LOL and the trivia. give me an easy one Joey!

tf
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 29, 2008
4:04 PM

Post #4469165

Joey, that's the best news. Babies are more fragile than they were when we were born. Just more out there to make them ill.
Well, My DC is on her way to Amarillo, Tx and Fritch, (Tamara) is going to pick her up and take her back to her home.
She has been a God-send for this trip.
Maybe it will warm up now. I'm sure the cold weather was to accomidate her wishes since she lived in 'Kiska land' for 35 years.
We are supposed to have over 70º here today.
Sidney
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

January 29, 2008
4:38 PM

Post #4469350

It was 37F at 7:00 this morning (60F in the kitchen and 64F in the hallway where the thermostat is)

Updated: 7:51 AM PST on January 29, 2008
40 F / 4 C
Scattered Clouds
Humidity: 77%
Dew Point: 33 F / 1 C
Wind: 4 mph / 6 km/h / 1.5 m/s from the West

BTW, does anyone know how you go about submitting an article for "Today's Articles"? Do you have to be invited or have some kind of credentials? I sent a D-mail to the powers that be and never heard anything back.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

January 29, 2008
4:45 PM

Post #4469377

Joey, so glad that little JW is home again and doing somewhat better. Prayers for his complete recovery are going up.
Deb: shades of Scarlett O'Hara!! That pic takes me back to Gone With The Wind!! Spanish Moss and all. LOL
Pepper: your colder weather will most likely make its way down to us shortly. I'm not looking forward to it. :o((
Great fossil shots, Ric. Watch out for those falling rock, though!!
Glad you had a good visit with your DC, Sidney.
Kiska: I couldn't find the photo of the avalanche in Juneau. Did I miss it somewhere?

It is 62 on my back porch right now and the sun is peeking out from behind a cloud but we have had rain earlier this morning. 70% chance of rain forecast for the middle of the day, too.
I'll see if I can find a pretty picture to post. Here's one my DGD took last spring.

Thumbnail by marsue

KashtanGeorge
Sochi
Russia

January 29, 2008
5:06 PM

Post #4469485

Joey! It's such good news that JW is recovering! It's great to see you back!
clerkie56
Iberia, MO
(Zone 5b)

January 29, 2008
5:19 PM

Post #4469549

Henryr10 I just looked at you pics awesome! I like to put rocks around a area I feed the birds. I have nothing that is near as interesting! Lucky you. I did try to talk my H into dragging a huge boulder up a hill where we live because it looked like it had a natural seat in it. He said sure maybe next year. LOL.

dragonfly62

dragonfly62
Nilwood, IL
(Zone 5b)

January 29, 2008
5:23 PM

Post #4469565

It is 61 degrees here now. It is going to drop this afternoon and be 10 tonight. That is one big drop. I hope this summer does not follow suit on dropping that quick. We will have some bad storms. It is windy but the sun is out. BEV
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

January 29, 2008
6:11 PM

Post #4469787

Barbara had better not bring too much of that cold waether here!

Sid, CALL ME!
kiska

(Zone 3b)

January 29, 2008
8:04 PM

Post #4470141

10* 11am; light out; light snow
Today
Mostly cloudy with areas of light snow and fog in the morning then clearing. Snow accumulation less than an inch. Highs 10 to 20 above. Light winds.
Tonight
Mostly clear. Patchy fog after midnight. Lows zero to 15 below. Light winds becoming northeast 10 mph after midnight
Joey~just great news and hope there's a quick recovery at home. Interesting pic of the car stuck in the driveway; glad that's better, too.
marsue~the avalanche photo was on the front page of the news site. But with the time difference, it may have been changed when you checked. Juneau is at the base of the mountains, ocean out in front, so the chances of avalanches is high. The photo caught the moving avalanche as it ran into town. No one hurt. Very nice photo your DGD took.
The photo is of the gson that just turned 18. (our oldest gchild).
kelli~your kitchen temp looks a bit chilly:))
Bev~that is a huge drop; time to change back to cool weather gear.
Sugarweed; your DC going from 35 here to Texas; what a change indeed. This is our 30th year, so far, so good.
Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 29, 2008
8:24 PM

Post #4470182

Kelli, I would dmail Dave again about the articles. He was looking for some new submitters a few weeks ago, so maybe he still has some openings. I hope you hear from him. :-)

Joey, I'm glad JW is feeling better. :-) I would much rather be sick than the babies, too. We're finally feeling almost normal again now - or at least as normal as we get around here. LOL

Rannveig, I'm wondering about you, too! I hope it's "just" the computer that is down, or you're someplace fun on vacation, and nothing more.

It's quite warm here today. It is supposed to get chilly again tonight, but tomorrow it will be back in the 60s.

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 1:53pm CST (28 min ago)
Temperature 76 F 24 C
Dew Point 62 F 17 C
Humidity 62%
Pressure 29.80 in 1009.3 mb
Wind Speed 13 MPH 11 kts
Wind Dir WNW 300
Ceiling 4900 ft 1494 m
Visibility 10 mi 16.1 km
Heat Index 78 F 26 C
Current Conditions Mostly Cloudy
6 hour min temperature ending 11:53am CST : 69.1F / 20.6C
KashtanGeorge
Sochi
Russia

January 29, 2008

Post #4470242

Clerkie56, Dragonfly62, nice to see you on our thread!

I had a walk tonight. And made some pics.

It's 35,6F, everything thawing again!((( I want some Russian winter sometimes!!!

KashtanGeorge
Sochi
Russia

January 29, 2008
8:47 PM

Post #4470274

The canal through the wrought iron tonight.

KashtanGeorge
Sochi
Russia

January 29, 2008
8:54 PM

Post #4470297

Choir hall building.

dragonfly62

dragonfly62
Nilwood, IL
(Zone 5b)

January 29, 2008
9:53 PM

Post #4470531

In 4 hrs it has droped from 64 down to 27 degrees. We had some rain at first and then sleet and now snow. I have seen it drop 20 degrees in an hour in the summer time but never saw anything like today. Very wierd. Guess they had some bad storms down south today. BEV
kiska

(Zone 3b)

January 29, 2008
10:31 PM

Post #4470706

Elsewhere around the state of Alaska this afternoon:
Fort Yukon -54F / -48C
Arctic Village -47F / -44C
Chandalar Lake -47F / -44C
Northway -34F / -37C
Fairbanks -31F / -35
Guess Palmer really is the banana belt with our 10 this afternoon. And sunny.
KG~your photos are stunning~what a beautiful city.
Bev~I've never seen such a dramatic drop; especially in such a short time frame. What's going on now?
Marylynn~glad your famiy is doing better. Temp looks just about right.
Welcome clerkie56~think you'll get that big rock moved:) ?
Ice works on the window.
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska

dragonfly62

dragonfly62
Nilwood, IL
(Zone 5b)

January 29, 2008
10:47 PM

Post #4470779

@4 degrees now dropping to 7 tonight and 40 mph wind gusts, Bev
KashtanGeorge
Sochi
Russia

January 29, 2008
11:09 PM

Post #4470854

It's the Day After Tomorrow((( lol.

dragonfly62

dragonfly62
Nilwood, IL
(Zone 5b)

January 29, 2008
11:33 PM

Post #4471001

Sorry!! I meant 24 but it is 21 now. BEV Brain FReeze
KashtanGeorge
Sochi
Russia

January 29, 2008
11:41 PM

Post #4471042

Dragonfly62, OK!!! NOW , It's the Day After After Tomorrow !!! LOL(((

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 29, 2008
11:50 PM

Post #4471087

Joey So glad JW is doing better! Keep us posted on his progress. How far did your DH have to walk to the house? Hope you get more snow!
TF It sounds like you need some rain! Hope you get some soon.
Kelli You were colder than us this morning! I have no idea.
Marsue I did a search for avalanche on the link Kiska posted. Is that a Hoya? Very pretty.
Clerkie56 Post a picture when the boulder is placed in its new home!
Bev That is a huge drop in temp. Stay warm.
Juri Beautiful pictures! The architecture is visually stunning!
Kiska- I love the ice works on the window!

57.7 F / 14.3 C
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 40%
Dew Point: 34 F / 1 C
Pressure: 30.00 in / 1015.8 hPa (Rising)
Clouds: Few 15000 ft / 4572 m
Mostly Cloudy 25000 ft / 7620 m

Tonight
Partly cloudy until midnight then becoming mostly cloudy with a chance of showers late in the night. Not as cool. Low 52. Southwest winds 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 30 percent.

Thumbnail by MySharona

KashtanGeorge
Sochi
Russia

January 30, 2008
12:12 AM

Post #4471234

MySharona, I LOVE cats. but yours is real strict!!! LoL.
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 30, 2008
12:21 AM

Post #4471284

Boo has a split personality! She can very hissy then really sweet. That's why one of her nicknames is "sour patch" after the candy. First she's sour then she's sweet!

Thumbnail by MySharona

KashtanGeorge
Sochi
Russia

January 30, 2008
12:29 AM

Post #4471331

Exactly! That's the character of my brother's one.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 30, 2008
2:14 AM

Post #4471749

We're about to get dragonflies' weather.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
a wind advisory remains in effect until 9 am est wednesday.

a strong cold front will move across the region this evening. a
line of fast moving showers will accompany this front and may
cause wind gusts up to 55 mph. in the wake of the front...cold
air will come rushing in...resulting in sustained winds of 25 to
35 mph with frequent gusts up to 50 mph through the night. the
winds will diminish slightly early wednesday morning as high
pressure builds into the area.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's currently 55 .
It will be 27 by morning w/ a high tomorrow of 31 and snow...
Then right back up to 50 Thursday... errrrrrrr

JOEY So glad everything is looking better!!!!
((((HUGS)))))

Ric
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

January 30, 2008
2:46 AM

Post #4471919

Ric, I was out at Grenada Hills today. It looks like all the snow on the mountains immediately behind Tujunga is gone.

George, back when I was in high school, I did a little report on Siberia. The thing I remember is Lake Baikal, the deepest lake in the world. (I know that is nowhere near where you are.) What really impressed me was the clarity of the lake. It was reported that you could see down 100 feet into the water - at least in the days before pollution. I was used to muddy rivers where on a good day, you might see down 4 ft. Also, I am impressed with how pretty St. Petersburg is. I had this impression that most historic buildings had been destroyed by wars or "modernization" and that Russian cities were full of bleak, ugly, Soviet-era apartment buildings. I don't know where I got that idea - maybe from movies.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

January 30, 2008
3:09 AM

Post #4472031

When I went to work this morning it was in the mid 50s. So nice that I didn't have to wear the bibs, just carry them. 2 hours later the front moved in. In 8 hours we went from warm weather to rain, freezing rain, sleet, then snow. Wind was blowing so hard we had white out conditions at times. By 3:30pm my time it was 12*. We had 4 seasons in one day.
kiska

(Zone 3b)

January 30, 2008
7:05 AM

Post #4472471

Ric, pepper and Bev~ the weather forecasters must have quite a time keeping up w/changes that come throughout the day.
For here, there's very little fluction in temp, about the same day and night w/in about 10-15 degrees. Always freezing except for a few times a Chinook wind comes through; once in November and once just last week.
MySharona~Boo is perfectly perched on the stepping stone; very cute on the railing, too.
KG~the ornate building is gorgeous. Love "Day after Tomorrow" comments:))
Kelli~I read some news in one of the calif papers about the storm; that's a lot of snow at one time.
Taken at the end of the road that passes my home. Looking down across the river to Palmer. (last year's pic; looks much the same today)

Thumbnail by kiska

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 30, 2008
11:09 AM

Post #4472579

18 (Wind Chill 3) Dewpoint: 3 Wind: SW 16 MPH

Just after I posted last night the winds came whipping thru here.
15 minutes of 45-55 MPH straight line winds.
All night we've been having some serious gusts.
Looks like it's stabilizing now.

Ric

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

January 30, 2008
11:52 AM

Post #4472616

Good Morning! :D It rained lastnight and we have wind! 45-50 miles per hour! I hope it will be leaving soon! The temp is 33 & it's Dyson Dark!
At Dublin...
Fair: 34F
Feels like: 22F
Barometer: 29.8 in
Dewpoint: 25
Humidity: 69%
Wind: 22 mph W
Sunrise: 7:28 AM
Sunset: 5:45 PM

Thanks everybody! I do hope that we get more good news this morning from the Dr. The nurse (head) had told us that JW did so well because of his "chunky-ness". She said that "premies" & smaller babies don't fair as well, because there is significant weight loss. But she also said that RSV can be recurring...ughhh. I really don't want him to go thru this again!
Ric, can you take back the wind? Please? I recon that we'll be getting the cold drop in temps, too.
Sharon! Boo sits so pretty! :D I've found that kitties pose...Jack will not! :D DH didn't have far to walk...just up the hill to where I was w/ the camera! :D
Kiska, Your icy window is so pretty! Gorgeous pic! I made some luminarias & hope to put them out in the next few days! :D I should have done it when we had all the snow! Maybe we'll get some more.
Juri, Love those pics! I agree w/ Sharon! " The architecture is visually stunning!"
Kelli? Will you get any more rain? Glad to see that your streams & lakes/ponds are filling up! :D
Marsue, Love that Hydrangea! (sp) Great Color! & a fine specimin! :D
clerkie56, Welcome! :D

Today's trivia is...
What does MCS stand for in meteorology terms?
a) Massive Convective System
b) Mesoscale Convective System
c) Miniature Convective System
d) Mesoscale Convergence System

Have a Great Day! All!
Joey

Thumbnail by music2keep

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

January 30, 2008
11:58 AM

Post #4472621

Tamara Faye and Clerkie, welcome to this thread--glad to have you!
Pepper, Bev, and Ric: We are all having the same type weather. Yesterday afternoon within about two hours our temp fell from almost 70F to less than 40F!
We had very hard wind gusts but I'm not sure of the wind speed. I just know that leaves and trash were blowing everywhere and even those heavy basketball goals that people have on the side of their driveways were blowing over. If it was outside and fairly lightweight and it wasn't tied down it was blowing around! At one point the sky was dark and rain was really coming down. 10 minutes later the clouds and rain were gone and the sun was shining!! Wierd!!
Sharon: the flower in the pic above is a pink hydrangea.
George, as usual, the buildings in your photos are beautiful. That shot of the river through the wrought iron is awesome! You and Kiska both need to post some of your photos over on the "Texture" thread, if you aren't already doing so.
Kiska, did you notice my comment to George? Love that ice on the window photo!
Clerkie56: It sounds like your hubby needs a block and tackle to get that boulder up the hill. Once years ago, there was a huge and beautiful moss-covered rock on the empty lot next to our house. When the builder started building a house there, the construction people were going to haul off that boulder. I asked them if they would load it into their front end loader and dump it over the fence into our back yard. They agreed and it became the focal point for a rock garden! You might very well get your boulder after all. Just keep persevering! LOL
Edited to add: we cross-posted Joey. Love the snow-covered evergreen tree! Please keep us posted about JW. Prayers continuing to go up for him. Get some sugar for me!

Everyone have a good day!

Current conditions as of 4:55 am CST

Fair
Feels Like: 20
Barometer: 30.18 in and steady
Humidity: 85%
Dewpoint: 17
Sunrise: 7:08 am
Sunset: 5:34 pm
High: 46 Low: 34

This message was edited Jan 30, 2008 6:01 AM
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 30, 2008
12:40 PM

Post #4472751

Boo is a handful. She's a very pretty cat and knows it. If I don't pay enough attention to her she will do this little swat thing at me, no claws, just a "Hellllllo...need some attention now" swat!
Pepper Stay safe in the erratic weather conditions.
Kiska Thats a neat picture of the road and Palmer.
Ric Well be getting the high winds today.
Joey Were keeping yall in our prayers. Prissy wont pose either. Shes always too busy to sit or stand still often. Im going with B on the trivia.
Marsue I should have known, but the cluster of flowers really look like the hoya flowers.

59.5 F / 15 C
Overcast
Humidity: 90%
Dew Point: 56 F / 14 C
Wind: 2.0 mph / 3 km/h
Wind Gust: 5.4 mph / 8 km/h
Pressure: 29.97 in / 1014.8 hPa (Rising)
Clouds: Mostly Cloudy 3500 ft / 1066 m
Overcast 10000 ft / 3048 m

Now
Through 9 am...Doppler radar indicated an area of showers of between Jacksonville and Live Oak moving east at 45 mph. The showers will produce brief downpours and wind gusts to 30 mph.

Today
Showers likely in the morning...then partly cloudy this afternoon. High 62. West winds 10 to 15 mph shifting to the north 5 to 10 mph in the afternoon. Chance of rain 60 percent.

sunset last night

Thumbnail by MySharona

clerkie56
Iberia, MO
(Zone 5b)

January 30, 2008
2:24 PM

Post #4473089

Thanks everyone for the welcome! Just checked the temp here it is 20, windy and lots of sunshine right now. Talking about snow moving in tonight and tomarrow. Yesterday when it started snowing the wind was blowing so hard the snow looked like a river running down the black top. We didn't get much or maybe we did and the wind blew it to the next town. LOL. My daughter called this morning and a major transformer in Iberia blew about 4 this morning. No electric no school. We are with a different electric coop. so we still have electric. Hope everyone stays warm.

Marsue-I will show H that wonders do happen. If I win I will post a pic. But don"t hold your breath. LOL.
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

January 30, 2008
3:41 PM

Post #4473504

Wow, what a kitty cat! Looks, brains & attitude LOL! Kiska, that looks like quite a drive, up or down! We must have sent our terrible winds to marsue & ric! Hey, ric, didn't you use to live in Kansas? you must've moved while i was offline, cool, now i have yet another friend in Ohio, i simply must live there someday. all my kinfolk trace back to Ohio, or near there... Joey, hope you don't get a recurrence, that is scary. & i hope it diesn't spread to parents or elderly. despite my warnings my mother got too close to our baby last night. he is looking & feeling & breathing better, but far from well, & he is losing weight, he was slim to begin with...

loving all the beautiful pictures, & appreciating our mild weather [currently] & our new soapstone woodstove!

tf
kiska

(Zone 3b)

January 30, 2008
4:24 PM

Post #4473706

Today
Cloudy with flurries in the morning then clearing.
Areas of dense fog in the morning reducing visibilities to one quarter mile or less at times.
Highs 5 to 15 above. Light winds becoming north 10 mph in the afternoon.
Temp now: -2 F / -19 C
Freezing Fog
Good morning; will be back later:))
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

January 30, 2008
5:20 PM

Post #4473933

It got down to 36F last night. The roofs were covered with frost like a sugar-coated Christmas village.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

January 30, 2008
5:50 PM

Post #4474062

10* and NO WIND! What a change from yesterday! It would snow, then stop, snow, then stop. Only it it was blowing in sideways and nothing stuck. Oh, but it was very cold!

My missing feral cat was home this morn. I'm so happy!

Kiska, I love the steepness in your picture, but I bet a lot of people don't when it's slippery. I like the way the road ''stops'' cold at the end.

Ric, we went thru the gusts and howling winds yesterday.

Joey, I'm so glad JW is on the road to recovery and I sure hope it doesn't recur. Poor baby! I'll guess D. I love the texture the snow gives the pine tree!

Marsue, I'd love to have a boulder dropped in my yard!! I did get some nice largish rocks from a friend before they moved.

Sharon, Boo is so sophisticated!. My cat will jump on my table, turn tale and''spray'' me. Thank goodness he's fixed! I'd take the swat! Love the sunset and sweep of the clouds.

Welcome Clerkie! I'm glad to have a weather system below me : }

TameraFaye, I'm so sorry your baby is sick. I hope he turns around quickly. How old is he? (I'm behind so I don't know the details.)

Kelli, that is a lovely description. I have a sugar frosted horse and sleigh Christmas decoration that was my Mom's. It sounds like your roof. Is that unusual weather?
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

January 30, 2008
6:38 PM

Post #4474214

It's not all that unusual. It is unusual to have a killing frost but not a non-killing frost.
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

January 30, 2008
7:20 PM

Post #4474353

well, all three kids got RSV from caregiver. all 3 on antibiotics, hopefully we nipped it in the bud. baby is ten months, he can breathe better at night now, but head and tummy hurts, sometimes inconsolable, fever comes and goes.

but we will catch up on our sleep LOL. older kids are feeling well enough to have a pillow fight... and time for meds now. thanks for your well wishes, and hopefully we can stay out o fthe hospital.

sorry about the wind, i think it started here the other day! now we have rain coming, maybe you all will get that too!

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

January 30, 2008
7:22 PM

Post #4474358

Wow, those are such wonderful pics!
Joey, sending big hugs for little JW, I'm so happy he is better!
Yuri, you must know communism did something good for us: made us learn a lot, including foreign languages! Your country is so beautiful, love those pics!
Kiska, great shot of the freeze on the window!
Deb,thanks, love your garden and ferns, also the little birds!
Marsue, thanks, wonderful hydrangea !
Welcome Tamara and Clerkie!
Sharon, love those kitties, Prissy...Boo is a beauty, great shot !... and your Christmas Cactus...mine has only one bud which has grown and is about to bloom! Beautiful skies too!
Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

January 30, 2008
7:24 PM

Post #4474362

Tamara, hi, sorry for your babies! Praying they get well soon!
A sunset the other day.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

January 30, 2008
7:26 PM

Post #4474370

One more.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

January 30, 2008
7:27 PM

Post #4474374

A closer look.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

January 30, 2008
7:28 PM

Post #4474376

Pink clouds.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

January 30, 2008
7:29 PM

Post #4474382

Another sunset.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

January 30, 2008
7:30 PM

Post #4474386

And closer.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

January 30, 2008
8:02 PM

Post #4474512

Kelli, it makes weather interesting!

Tamerafaye, that's tough. Poor kids! I hope everyone gets better!!

Adina, I think you and George both bring wonderful pictures from your homeland. The bud is lovely! I think the buildings in the first picture could be called ships in the night. Such beautiful sky pictures! I love pink clouds! The wires in the picture sure stretch a long ways across!

A silly cork.

Thumbnail by billyporter

KashtanGeorge
Sochi
Russia

January 30, 2008
11:01 PM

Post #4475265

Kelli, you have even worse propoganda, than we!!! I knew your country mostly from the positive view point. Except some peculiarities. Lol.

KashtanGeorge
Sochi
Russia

January 30, 2008
11:08 PM

Post #4475289

Adina, your sunset pics are wonderful. Thanks for the true comments!!!

KashtanGeorge
Sochi
Russia

January 30, 2008
11:15 PM

Post #4475324

We have 38.5F tonight.
Cloudy...

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

January 30, 2008
11:21 PM

Post #4475350

So sorry about your kids' being ill, TF. Glad the older two are feeling well enough to pillow fight, though.
Adina, beautiful pictures of the cactus and the sunsets.
George, I love the fence. It looks like there are little men with smiling faces on the bottom holding up the rest of the fence. LOL
BP--you are correct--that is a silly cork. LOL
It's 40 on my backporch right now and the sun is just beginning to set. Rain and wind moved out so today was nice although cold (to me).
KashtanGeorge
Sochi
Russia

January 30, 2008
11:41 PM

Post #4475448

Marsue, those aren't little men, those are little lions! Lol.

KashtanGeorge
Sochi
Russia

January 30, 2008
11:51 PM

Post #4475485

TamaraFaye, I wish your kids soon recover!!! Vitamine C as more as possible (L. Polling). Kiwi or Sea Buckthorn whatever. Posting to yours a pillow greeting. Lol.

This message was edited Jan 30, 2008 7:52 PM

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 30, 2008
11:56 PM

Post #4475503

Clerkie Sounds like some nasty weather you have. Are you close to peppers area? Has the power been turned back on in your DDs area? Does she have a generator?
TF- I had to look up soapstone wood stove. Very pretty and they seem to be very energy efficient. How many rooms will yours heat?
Kiska I get this mental image of freezing fog, like driving through glass.
Kelli Sugar coated Christmas village sounds so pretty! Did you take any pictures?
Sally So glad your baby made it home! Boo just swatted Prissy on the butt! Great cork!
TF I hope everyone continues to heal.
Adina Thanks! The buds are still there. Love those skies!
Juri Great golden pictures! Is the lampshade on the horse? Or is it an optical illusion and there a lamp behind the horse?!

54.9 F / 12.7 C
Scattered Clouds
Humidity: 56%
Dew Point: 39 F / 4 C
Pressure: 30.09 in / 1018.8 hPa (Rising)
Clouds: Few 2500 ft / 762 m
Scattered Clouds 7000 ft / 2133 m
Scattered Clouds 15000 ft / 4572 m

Tonight
Partly cloudy. Low 44. Northeast winds 5 to 10 mph.

Fog and rain this morning, cloudy all afternoon, the sun came out around 4:00 then we got cool and cloudy again. Amazingly - no high winds here.

Thumbnail by MySharona

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

January 31, 2008
12:22 AM

Post #4475649

LOL, George! Little lions!! I'm curious about the horse and the lampshade, too.
Is that a dept. store or somebody's apartment?

Lots of people in our state were without power today due to high winds yesterday. We were not affected with power outages in our area, however.
There was one death in the state due to a tree falling on a house and another due to a tree falling on a moving car. :o(

(Nasty weather coming in tomorrow with snow expected for the upper third of the state. Possible wintry mix in my area tomorrow night.

Tonight: Partly cloudy this evening, then becoming cloudy after midnight. Low 34F. Winds ESE at 10 to 15 mph.
Tomorrow: A steady rain in the morning. Showers continuing in the afternoon. Temps nearly steady in the mid to upper 30s. Winds ENE at 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 80%. Rainfall near a half an inch.
Tomorrow night: Scattered flurries and snow showers. Low 28F. Winds WNW at 10 to 20 mph. Chance of snow 30%.

Here's another picture which my DGD took last Spring.

Thumbnail by marsue

DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

January 31, 2008
12:54 AM

Post #4475816

Darn, I'm behind again. I'll just put up the weather and then go back and read. :)
48F now. We had a bit of rain and wind last night, but really a nice day. I think...think...spring might be actually creeping in.

Going back now and catch up on everything.
Deb

Thumbnail by DebinSC

kiska

(Zone 3b)

January 31, 2008
1:02 AM

Post #4475870

Areas of fog.
Lows 5 to 15 below. Light winds becoming north 10 mph after midnight.
Thanks for posting so many wonderful pics to browse this afternoon.
marsue~the hot pink is so bright and happy.
Ice fog is pretty on a sunny day; it glitters like diamonds and covers everything with layers of glittering ice. It was beautiful in lthe ight a short time ago.
MySharona~does look a bit gray in the pic.
KG~so many beautiful scenes in that series; very nice.
Adina~I loved the series you've posted, too. Such a colorfilled sky, wonderful.
bp~great imagination for photo ops.
TF~hope everyone is on the mend; get well soon.
kelli~sounds very pretty all frosty and white.
Hi Deb~love the pretty pansy~busy thread, isn't it?
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

January 31, 2008
1:10 AM

Post #4475926

Sharon, no, no pictures. It wouldn't have made a very good picture. There would have been too much extraneous stuff.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

January 31, 2008
2:34 AM

Post #4476313

Winter storm warning in effect from midnight tonight to midnight cst Thursday night,
The NWS in wichita has issued a winter storm warning, which is in effect from midnight tonight to midnight cst Thursday night. The winter storm watch is no longer in effect.
Snow will develop across the area late tonight and become widespread on Thursday. The snow may be heavy at times. Storm total snow accumulations of 6 to 8 inches are expected by thursday evening. In addition, north winds of 15 to 25 mph with gusts of 35 mph are expected, resulting in blowing and drifting snow and reduced visibilities. Wind chills in the teens can also be expected on Thursday

Currently: 25F Cloudy
Currently: -3C Cloudy
Wind: East at 17 MPH
Dewpoint: 10F
Barometer: 29.99 inches and
Wind Chill: 11F
Wind: East at 27 KPH
Dewpoint: -12C
Barometer: 1015 millibars and
Wind Chill: -11 C
Sunrise: 7:27 am
Sunset: 5:38 pm

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 31, 2008
2:49 AM

Post #4476391

Looks like it will be here on Thursday night Pepper.
The Winter Storm Watch is for about 40 miles north of us though.
We're looking at a light dusting... so far...lol!

I had to take a shovel and break my trash can lids off the driveway this morning.
They froze right behind my car.
Can't believe they and the cans weren't half way to the river.

Ric
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

January 31, 2008
2:55 AM

Post #4476425

Yeah, this storm is gonna be a bad one. Visibility will be bad in the afternoon when I go home. May skip going home if it is and go to a coworker's a few miles and across flat land away til it clears a bit.
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

January 31, 2008
3:07 AM

Post #4476496

sorry about the death from the fallen tree ;-(

thanks for the well wishes, DH is getting it now. i have cleaned the house & done so much laundry today that my arms feel like they could fall off...

the kids enjoyed the greeting from Russia. yes, lots of vitamin C wish we had some unripe black walnuts LOL. lot of fruit and juices. it's hardest on the baby, hard to nurse or take a bottle when he can't breathe through his nose. that has improved somewhat.

loving seeing all these spring pictures, and always love info from other palces, weather, pictures, etc...

the stove we got heats aobut 2000 square feet. we are loving the efficiency, using a lot less wood and putting out even heat. esp love seeing the flames in the nice window. we have another to install upstairs, one of these days LOL, and then we want a woodcookstove in the kitchen. DH is from Vermont, and is an excellent cook, plus he just loves buckin' wood ;-)

tf
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

January 31, 2008
3:17 AM

Post #4476548

That stove sounds great, especially when our gas bill was $120 last month! Here, in zone 10!
se_eds
Millersburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

January 31, 2008
3:32 AM

Post #4476625

Not only are you storym out west, but you are also COLD!.

We had freezing rain yesterday morning that really 'gummed-up" traffic. Today dawned bright and clear. The cold front (courtesy of Ric) has moved across the state. Once again we have winds that gusted to 50-60 mph. Very steady all day. We have a double bay garage we built 10 years ago in May. It lost about 6 shingles today.
Temps will be up to lower 40's tomorrow.
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

January 31, 2008
4:01 AM

Post #4476722

they have gas ones too, with remote control thermostats... i am green with envy, we don't have gas out here...

took some vitamin C, going to bed..

ouch on the shingles, i hope that wind dies down soon!
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

January 31, 2008
4:39 AM

Post #4476859

I just discovered, thanks to another Arkansas DGer on another forum, that it is sleeting here. :o(( This wasn't supposed to happen until tomorrow. Guess the front got here early.
Tamara, I wish we had a wood-burning stove. There is nothing like wood heat to warm the bones. We have a fireplace but it only has gas logs in it and it is very expensive to use so we haven't even had it on this year.

I'm going to go and find another flower picture from last spring to post. I'm tired of winter!!

Thumbnail by marsue

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

January 31, 2008
11:40 AM

Post #4477449

Morning! All! :D We have a nippy 18. No precip yet, but they say we are to get 1/4" of freezing rain tonight. There are only 4 counties that they say will get it & we're one of them! I hope we don't get any more than that! Dyson? will you get any of it? Where are you?
At Dublin...
Clear: 21F
Feels like: 21F
Barometer: 30.4 in
Dewpoint: 12
Humidity: 64%
Wind: 0 mph
Sunrise: 7:27 AM
Sunset: 5:46 PM
RAIN WILL OVERSPREAD THE AREA TONIGHT. TEMPERATURES ARE EXPECTED TO BE AT... OR A FEW DEGREES BELOW FREEZING ACROSS MUCH OF THE WARNED AREA... POSSIBLY UNTIL MID MORNING ON FRIDAY. ICE ACCRETIONS OF A QUARTER TO ONE HALF OF AN INCH ARE LIKELY... ESPECIALLY ON ELEVATED SURFACES SUCH AS TREES AND POWER LINES.

TamaraFaye, I cannot imagine 3! having the RSV! One is really bad enough! Poor babies! Hope they all get well real soon!
Juri, Wow!
Deb, What a gorgeous Pansy! I do believe that you really have spring fever! :D How is the precip in your area? (as far as catching up to missed amounts)
Kiska, I want snow instead of the ice...could you send some of that, Please? They are saying that Phil will see his shadow...meaning that we will have 6 more weeks of winter weather. I want Snow! (I know..."careful what you wish for") Love those snow pics! Keep them coming! :D
Marsue, I think that you have got the "bug", too! :D Gorgoeus! Rose!
Ric! Did you already have the ice? Trying to pry your trash cans loose seems too much of a chore! How are the cabinets coming?
Kelli! That is an aweful price for gas heat! I suppose we may have to get the wood ready for this evening in case the electricity goes out...that means I'll have to move all of my flowers from in front of the fire place! (which may be a chore)
Sally, What an different looking cork! :D Where in the world did you get it?
Thanks Adina...how is your mom doing? Great sky pics! :D
Sharon, how is you MIL doing? Did Jeff make it thru the snow? or did he have any to fight? I think that I have missed some things...

Thanks everyone, JW's check up went really well...He still needs to be on the breathing treatments & antibiotic, but is back to playing & giggling as usual. Such a blessing...

The answer to the trivia is...B
A complex of thunderstorms which becomes organized on a scale larger than the individual thunderstorms, and normally persists for several hours or more.

Today's trivia is...
The hottest days of the summer in July through early August originally became known as "the dog days" because:
a) Hot dog sales went up
b) Dogs can't take the heat
c) The Dog Star's location
d) The discovery of Pluto

Have a Greaat! Day!
Joey

Thumbnail by music2keep

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

January 31, 2008
12:09 PM

Post #4477482

B. :~)
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 31, 2008
12:24 PM

Post #4477536

Dyson? Rann? What are you?
Marsue and Deb pretty spring pics!
Kiska Love that wintery picture!
Pepper, Ric and marsue Sounds like you are in for a rough ride. Stay safe and w-a-r-m!
Ric I see new trash can lids in your future!
TF Im going to look into those stoves! Hope your DH gets of over the illness soon and your poor little baby : (
Joey MIL is doing better. I dont think I told yall, but last week when she was being transported by ambulance from the hospital to the assisted living facility the 2 EMTs slid on the ice and dropped her. She fell off the gurney, etc. It was bad. So shes recovering from that as well. : ( Jeff went back on Monday (drove), he may have to stay through the weekend due to the winter storm moving in the area. Awww, JW is so precious! Glad he is doing better. You are richly blessed with that little man. : ) Trivia answer is C.

56.7 F / 13.7 C
Overcast
Humidity: 64%
Dew Point: 45 F / 7 C
Wind Gust: 3.1 mph / 5.0 km/h
Pressure: 30.21 in / 1022.9 hPa (Rising)
Clouds: Overcast 2100 ft / 640 m

Today
Mostly cloudy. Slight chance of rain in the morning...then chance of showers in the afternoon. High 66. East winds 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 40 percent.

My white ghost is blooming!

Thumbnail by MySharona

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

January 31, 2008
1:25 PM

Post #4477679

Sharon: so that is a white ghost blooming!! I love all your succulents!
Joey: JW is still just as cute as ever. So glad he is on the mend!! I'm guessing C for the trivia answer.

Schools in portions of northwestern and north central Arkansas are closed this morning. None in our area, though. Later this afternoon, we are supposed to start getting sleet and rain/snow mix here in the central portion of the state. The northern and southern portions of the state are forecast to get more snow and ice than we here in the middle. Crazy, huh?

Current conditions as of 6:55 am CST

Cloudy
Feels Like: 27
Barometer: 30.01 in and falling
Humidity: 72%
Dewpoint: 28
Wind: E 14 mph
Sunrise: 7:08 am
Sunset: 5:35 pm

Here's Climbing Don Juan.

Thumbnail by marsue

Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 31, 2008
1:49 PM

Post #4477752

Good morning! Sharon, your poor MIL! I'm glad she is recovering. I hope Jeff can get home safely soon. I hate it when my DH is away for long.

JW is adorable, Joey. :-) I'm glad he and Orion and the rest of Tamara Faye's gang are getting better.

It's foggy and warm right now. We have a line of thunderstorms coming through.. Oh, here, I'll just post it from the weather page (http://www.uswx.com/us/wx/tx/77024/?stn=KSGR):

Right Now Issued 7:00am CST -- Thu, Jan 31, 2008
Tornado watch in effect. Through 9:30 am, a line of showers and thunderstorms will be moving into the area from the north. This line should be along a Moss Hill to Houston to Edna line around 9 am. Scattered showers and thunderstorms will also develop ahead of the line of storms. Some small hail and wind gusts to 30 mph are possible. Expect rainfall rates up to 1 inch per hour.

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 7:32am CST (9 min ago)
Temperature 64 F 18 C
Dew Point 62 F 17 C
Humidity 94%
Pressure 29.80 in 1009 mb
Wind Speed 9 MPH 8 kts
Wind Dir S 180
Ceiling 100 ft 30 m
Visibility 0.5 mi 0.8 km
Current Conditions Fog
6 hour min temperature ending 5:53am CST : 54.0F / 12.2C

dragonfly62

dragonfly62
Nilwood, IL
(Zone 5b)

January 31, 2008
2:01 PM

Post #4477795

It is 26 degrees. Going to start snowing arround 3oclock and we are to get up to 10 inches with winds. YIKES!! BEV
clerkie56
Iberia, MO
(Zone 5b)

January 31, 2008
2:58 PM

Post #4478011

Good morning to everyone! We are in line for snow this afternoon but I went out to mail letter and snow flakes are floating around I guess I better get to town and back. Temp here is 29 and of course we have wind wind and more wind. I was up around 4:30 this morning and the stars were beautiful. I really like all the pics. Mysharona-
I live in a very small town that is about 36 miles from the Lake of the Ozarks. My DD got their electric back by 8:30 just as they pulled into our driveway my brother who lives next to her called and said it was back on. I got to vist with my granddaughter she is going to be 5 going on 18. I am glad to see all the little ones seem to be on the mend. Hope everyone stays warm-keep sending pictures i really enjoy them.
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

January 31, 2008
3:37 PM

Post #4478176

snow, wow, last night part of the panhandle was under snow advisory, but we didn't get any ;-(

love that picture, can't wait for Spring!

yes, those stoves are great, and the company is great to do business with, hope you can find a dealer near you! btw, they have fireplace inserts for gasd fireplaces to make them more efficient!!!

I think we are goin gback to doctor tomorrow. Orion's breathing is better, cough is worse, and antibiotics run out tomorrow. I don't want to guess what my weekend will be like. The oldest is the same, still in bed with cough and fever. and DH is down too!

Thanks for the trivia Joey, you were missed! Glad JW is improving, isn't it nice to see them feeling better?! :-) I gooogled the MCS and ofund a dictionary with a section on acronyms, how cool is that?

I will guess the dogs can't take the heat. I should know that one. This is one of the parts of the country where the weather varies enough to have a three dog night and dog days of summer, and rather close together too! often in September and October. And DUmas is nearby, where they have a festival called the Ding Dong Daddies...

although, since the dog star is part of the Orion constellation in his belt, where the ORion nebula is located... hmmm, thought you couldn't see it in those months,... hmmmm, gonna stay with my first answer...

thaks everyone for keeping the weather interesting and beautiful! Jw is the prettiest one on here!

tf
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

January 31, 2008
5:32 PM

Post #4478756

The answer to the trivia is C, unless what I've been told is wrong.

Might get up to 64F today. Yay!

Updated: 8:51 AM PST on January 31, 2008
51 F / 11 C
Clear
Humidity: 35%
Dew Point: 24 F / -4 C
Wind: 9 mph / 15 km/h / 4.1 m/s from the North

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 31, 2008
5:42 PM

Post #4478800

Marsue Thanks! The white ghost is my favorite. Who doesnt love Don Juan?!
Marylyn MIL is rarely sick, but she is definitely making up for it now. I really feel for her. Thats a lot of weather going on in Houston!
Bev And thats a lot of snow at one time. Yikes is right! Are you ready for it? Thats probably a silly question!
TF Ding Dong Daddies OMG Im cracking up!!

61.0 F / 16.1 C
Overcast
Humidity: 58%
Dew Point: 46 F / 8 C
Wind: 3.0 mph / 4.8 km/h / 1.3 m/s from the North
Wind Gust: 9.6 mph / 15.4 km/h
Pressure: 30.24 in / 1023.9 hPa (Falling)
UV: 2 out of 16
Clouds: Mostly Cloudy 3700 ft / 1127 m
Overcast 7000 ft / 2133 m

Just imagine a loud long snort with that face! LOL!

Thumbnail by MySharona

TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

January 31, 2008
5:52 PM

Post #4478836

thanks for the smile on my face! man, was it cold out there! i fed the kids animals, and i don't even want to know what the wind chill is down to! there was a dusting of snow on the gorund, it's almost gone now. i just kept remembering the rose blooms, and thinking of those DogDays, so hot you gotta dunk your head in a bucket of water, or hose your legs down while watering the garden, go out to the lake late in the day to chill off, or soak in the pool, find a shady spot and take a nap on the grass... but IT DIDN'T WORK, I WAS STILL COLD! so i warmed up by the stove when i cam ein...

Yep "Come celebrate the Dog Days of Summer with the Ding Dong Daddies of Dumas" is their advertisement... there is some history to that phrase, if i recall...

i guess that wind brought in a cold front. hope it warms up for the weekend...

dragonfly62

dragonfly62
Nilwood, IL
(Zone 5b)

January 31, 2008
6:59 PM

Post #4479043

It is 26 degrees and snowing like mad. We are going to get 10 inches by tomorrow. Yikes!!! Bev

Thumbnail by dragonfly62

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

January 31, 2008
7:32 PM

Post #4479151

Yikes is right!
clerkie56
Iberia, MO
(Zone 5b)

January 31, 2008
7:51 PM

Post #4479225

Just looked out the window snow has started. Temp is 31. I really like snow just wished everyone was home from work first we have really bad roads and not the greastest road crews. Not really road crews fault not enough of them for all the back roads.

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

January 31, 2008
7:58 PM

Post #4479240

Sunny, but cold in Bucharest, 30 at noon! I hope everyone is safe today.
Tamara, praying for your little children and DH, take care of yourself too!
Marylyn, how are your bunnies?
Joey, so glad JW looks so well and beautiful as ever!
Ric, your cupboards are great! Looking forward to see what you're doing next!Remember I have to get furniture for a whole house , so I need ideas!
Kiska, wonderful forrest!
Sharon, love that snort face!LOL Love the white ghost!
Billy, thanks, those are the Internet wires between our blocks...they sure are many!
Yuri, your night pics are great!
Marsue, love the flowers, I'm tired of winter too!
One more sunset.
Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

January 31, 2008
8:00 PM

Post #4479251

Hi, Clerkie, take care and stay warm!
kiska

(Zone 3b)

January 31, 2008
8:14 PM

Post #4479288

Just spent some time catching up~~lots of winter happening down there; take care.
Hope to get back on track, but not yet, it seems.
-4 ~ clear in some places; fog in others; ice fog and on and on ~~~~
Love little JW's sweetness~

Thumbnail by kiska

Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 31, 2008
8:41 PM

Post #4479399

Adina, the bunnies are doing fine now. Thanks for asking! The big bunny somehow managed to miss getting this last flu. The rest of us are really tired of sniffing and coughing, but aren't contagious anymore. I dreamed about blowing my nose last night until I finally woke up enough to stagger to the bathroom and actually did it. (That was more than you wanted to know, I'm sure! LOL)

Sharon, I haven't forgotten your DVD! It should be in the mail tomorrow or Saturday at the latest. I've been SOOOO slow this winter...
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

January 31, 2008
9:12 PM

Post #4479527

Read all about the Ding Dong Daddies of Dumas right here (it was a song):
http://www.ci.dumas.tx.us/legend.htm

Sharon, that was awful about the guys dropping your MIL. Poor lady--as if she wasn't suffering enough!! :o(( Prissy is hilarious!
Bev: 10 inches of snow!! Yikes, indeed!
Marylyn: LOL about your dream!!
Interesting pic, Kiska. I can't enlarge it right now or I will lose my post. I'll go back and look at it in a minute.

Here is what I found peeking up through the mulch on Monday. I think these are grape hyacinths.

Thumbnail by marsue

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

January 31, 2008
10:07 PM

Post #4479702

24* and flurries. Rushing thru my threads.
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

January 31, 2008
10:33 PM

Post #4479768

wow, thx for the link. apparently there are a few songs with DDD in the title... just when i think i've heard it all LOL

sunny here, but cold wind outside... every-body cooughing but me, so far...
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 31, 2008
11:24 PM

Post #4479952

Well it is dark & cold, with freezing rain predicted.
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

January 31, 2008
11:35 PM

Post #4480014

Nice weather today - sunny and no wind. I pulled some weeds.

Van Nuys, California (Airport)
Updated: 2:51 PM PST on January 31, 2008
61 F / 16 C
Clear
Humidity: 31%
Dew Point: 30 F / -1 C
Wind: 7 mph / 11 km/h / 3.1 m/s from the SSE

Aloe ferox

Thumbnail by Kelli

KashtanGeorge
Sochi
Russia

January 31, 2008
11:36 PM

Post #4480021

MySharona, Marsue, the lampshade is on the horse's head. I walk pass that office furniture store very often- it's near my house. The thing, which is quite noticible is, what I checked on the wall of that building. There was a memorial table saying, that Ivan Turgenev lived in that building from 1856 to 1860. (if any bells sound).

Joey, TamaraFaye, I just remember myself tormenting my parents soooo badly in my childhood years with all the colds and the respiratory infections, and stuff, which I used to catch in those years.Wow. But now, in my elder years, I'm really GREATFULL to my parents! I simply don't understand what all that colds, flues, RSV etc. are for many years. Maybe, because I excersise a lot and practice contrast water procedures. I've always respected my Mom's advices!!!

Deb, thanks for the beautifull garden violet pic. I was educated what it's called by my Mom.

MySharona, I also like suculents! Cool pic tracing the plant in the progress.

Maryltn_TX, do you grow banana in TX? People do grow those in Sochi, but mostly for decorative purposes.

Pep, I pray you have finally safe roads and some better weather!

Clercie56, let it snow! It's winter!

Adina, love your pics! I'm discovering Romania, at last! I do vividly recollect your wonderfull gymnast - Nadya Kimanechi!

Kiska, your frozen window patterns are a winter work of art! I get nostalgic of the real Ural winters of my childhood.

DragonFly 62 thanks for a real winter snow pic!

Billyporter, I'm trying my best to get you know about the wonderfull country, where I live!

Kelli, thanks for sharing!!! I think your propoganda was even worse. We had all the historical buildings been real cared about during the Soviet period. The story about the lake Baikal real excites me. You had good Geography classes, and you made good preparation for the lecture back then.

Well, SPb weather is boring as it ever was with
33.8F
Quiet
Clear skies.
The Sun is on the way to Spring.

Posting my water color from my young archeologists expedition of Hermitage. That was in Smolensk region.

This message was edited Jan 31, 2008 7:40 PM

KashtanGeorge
Sochi
Russia

January 31, 2008
11:42 PM

Post #4480042

Joey, my answer for the trivia is C :~)
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

January 31, 2008
11:58 PM

Post #4480116

Nice picture, George.

Back on Saturday I posted a picture of a trail that was running with water like a creek. This is what it looked like in July. (Slightly different angle but the same general area)

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

February 1, 2008
12:00 AM

Post #4480122

This was the pond in May. In my picture from Saturday, you'll see that it's full now.

This message was edited Jan 31, 2008 5:12 PM

Thumbnail by Kelli

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 1, 2008
12:01 AM

Post #4480130

http://www.dumasar.org/DingDongDays/DingDongDaddy.htm

TF I hope you get some warm weather over the weekend!
Bev Thats a cute frozen squirrel!
Clerkie Hope everyone makes it home before the snow starts piling up. Stay warm.
Adina and Kiska Beautiful pictures!
Marylyn LOL! Youve been sick! Send it when you get a chance and dont push yourself!
Marsue Thanks for the link! I love it! LOL! Isnt it too early for the hyacinths or is it too late? Im pretty clueless on them!
Dyson!!! Welcome back! Weve missed you! How is work going?
Kelli Thats gorgeous is it in your yard?
Yuri Yes He wrote Fathers and Sons. Thanks, its the first time WG has bloomed, so Im really excited to see it progress. Nice water color youre good! Do you still paint?

55.9 F / 13.3 C
Overcast
Humidity: 92%
Dew Point: 54 F / 12 C
Wind: 2.0 mph / 3 km/hfrom the NNW
Wind Gust: 7.8 mph / 12 km/h
Pressure: 30.15 in / 1020.9 hPa(Steady)
Visibility: 7.0 miles / 11.3 kilometers
Clouds: Overcast 700 ft / 213 m
(Above Ground Level)
Elevation: 20 ft / 6 m

Tonight
Mostly cloudy with a 20 percent chance of showers. Low 56. Southeast winds 10 to 15 mph shifting to the south after midnight. We're already lower than the low!

taken yesterday

Thumbnail by MySharona

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

February 1, 2008
12:07 AM

Post #4480142

Thanks, and yes, the Aloe ferox is in my yard.
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

February 1, 2008
12:16 AM

Post #4480175

thanks for the "warm" wishes. an inconsolable baby likes pictures on the pc. this thread is getting long i have 1.5 broadband & still slow to load... but alas, tomorrow is Febrauary, YEAH!

I SEE DYSON IS BACK, I'VE BEEN WONDERING WHAT THE TERM dYSON dARK REFERRED TO... sorry bout the caps lock, Orion dozed off in my arms & i wasn't watchng the screen.. he's not feverish so i'll hold him upright for his nap so he can breathe. we usually don't get sick here, but we were sharing our home with another family, & they brought crud in after visiting extended family & friends... we try to eat healthy & exercise. when a virus hits you can't do much to make it srtop ;-(

artwork is beautiful too...!

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

February 1, 2008
12:22 AM

Post #4480200

George: Pretty watercolor. I googled Ivan Turgenev and came up with this:
"Ivan Sergeyevich Turgenev (Russian: Ива́н Серге́евич Турге́нев IPA: [ɪˈvan sʲɪrˈgʲeɪvʲɪtɕ turˈgʲenʲɪf]) (November 9 [O.S. October 28] 1818 September 3 [O.S. August 22] 1883) was a Russian novelist and playwright. His novel Fathers and Sons is regarded as one of the major works of 19th-century fiction. . .
Shortly after his death, Turgenev's brain was weighed at 2,021 grams, a world record for largest human brain size."

Sharon: grape hyacinths are usually the first bulbs to make an appearance in our area--usually in February. Another pretty sunset.

Kelli: pretty Aloe ferox. Your other pics just prove that you never know what the next season will bring!

Tonight: Snow showers this evening. Becoming partly cloudy later. Low 28F. Winds WNW at 10 to 20 mph. Chance of snow 40%.
Tomorrow: Sunny skies. High 44F. Winds WSW at 10 to 15 mph.
DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

February 1, 2008
12:58 AM

Post #4480337

Woohoo! Marsue has G. Hyacinths coming up. Yay. :)
Joey: Trivia answer is C - dog star. To answer your question, we are getting more regular rain now, but are still finished the year at about 8" below normal.
Sharon - I like your white ghost! I'm going to start paying more attention to suculents, I think.
TF - I sure hope your little ones are feeling much better soon.
Ric - If it had been me, the can lids would've stayed in the driveway and I'd have gone back to bed.
Kiska - I love your icy window formations. We never get those here.

54F and very cloudy. Rain and wind predicted over the next 18 hours or so. Low tonight is sposed to be only 51!! Weeee! Sping's coming.

All of you in the north and mid-west who are going through this nasty storm, stay warm and safe and I hope it goes away quick!!
Deb

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

February 1, 2008
1:10 AM

Post #4480392

George, I'm enjoying all the pictures from your side of the world too. Oh my gosh, the horse is fantastic!! I love the light reflecting in the street.

Sharon, I just shake my head over everyone's weather. I think Pepper summed it up best for all of us with ''we had four seasons in one day.''

Marsue, so glad you had power. Lovely blooms.

Deb, that's the prettiest pansey!! It looks so much like a butterfly!

Thanks Kiska, I feel like I could walk right into the woods. (I see a black billed swan in the lower right : ))

Pepper, the storm is here. I'm glad you have a place to ''crash.''

Ric, at least they froze down before the could blow away : )

TameraFaye, the stove sounds nice. We heated with coal then wood when I was growing up. No heat beats wood heat.

Seeds, that's a bad wind.

Marsue, such a gorgeous bloom. Does it have a scent?

Joey, stay warm! and stay inside!! I hope you don't get ice! My cork came from a woman I used to clean house for while she was in the nursing home. I also have some of her old yellow iris that my Dad got from her. I'm so glad JW is OK. What a scare! What a cutie!! I'll guess C.

Oh Sharon, so sorry for your MIL> That's terrible! I'll bet the EMT's felt horrible. Smile, we had a 40% chance of snow. It's about 1/2'' deep now. 1'' to 3'' total. Beautiful Ghost!

Marsue, Crazy indeed! Mom loved Don Juan, but it's not hardy here. She have Blaze instead.

Marylyn, tornado for you too! Stay safe!!

Dragonfly, you are going to get it so much worse than us. You have my sympathy!

Clerkie, laughing over your ''old'' grandaughter. What a nice visit!

TameraFaye, it's hard to have everyone sick.

Kelli, enjoy the cool weather!

ROTFL!! I can definately hear the snort! Hilarious!!

TameraFaye,I'm Roaring with laughter!!! It didn't work!

Dragonfly, somebody better thaw out that squirrel!!

Clerkie, I hear you. I like storms, but want everyone to get to stay home during them.

Adina, I love the color peeking thru.

Kiska, that is a beautiful window!! So delicate!

Marylyn three cheers for blowing!! We've all been there : ))

Marsue, I love grape hyacinths!

Dyson, sounds like everyone is getting a winter night.

Kelli, if I could just pull one weed I'd be happy! Wow, aloe blooms are something else!

George, I envy anyone getting to live there! I find your country beautiful. I love the detail on everything! Your painting is very interesting. I'm not sure what I'm loking at, but I love how the yellow glows. (I wasn't very good in geography or history.)

Kelli, that's a neat trail. No pond. That's so sad.

Sharon, clouds instead of fog and grey, Yayyy!

TameraFaye, careful hugs for Orion!

Marsue, that's interesting! (Ivan.)

Thank you Deb!!

I'm all caught up : )) I'm dialing up slow too.

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

February 1, 2008
1:14 AM

Post #4480409

Billy, the pond is full now. There is joy at Rocky Oaks park!

Thumbnail by Kelli

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

February 1, 2008
1:26 AM

Post #4480463

Kelli, it's quite a nice pond when it's full! I like the pines standing at the top. I'm assuming there's a town or buildings up there.

I don't know why my computer is so slow tonight. Especially on a new thread. I hate dial-up! It took me forever to catch up.

dragonfly62

dragonfly62
Nilwood, IL
(Zone 5b)

February 1, 2008
1:37 AM

Post #4480505

25 dgrees now and about threeinches of snow so far. It is supposed to come in heavy later tonight. That squirral thaws out in the spring LOL. Here is a pics I got today

Thumbnail by dragonfly62

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

February 1, 2008
1:54 AM

Post #4480584

I love the cardinals! I wish we had cardinals out here.

Billy, the "pines" are Italian cypress, but I wouldn't expect anyone to know that. Pine is close enough. There is a mroad along there and those brown things, I think, are shipping containers. There is some construction going on over there up the hill from those things. You can see it on the upper left in this picture. It's looked the same for months, so I don't know what is going on. I guess it's going to be a house. It will be a huge one.

Thumbnail by Kelli

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

February 1, 2008
1:56 AM

Post #4480594

Dragon, they are beautiful. I took this picture last year right after one flew away!

Thumbnail by billyporter

se_eds
Millersburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

February 1, 2008
1:57 AM

Post #4480600

WOW dragonfly62 you got a triplet of Cardinals. Beautiful. We had wind gusts to 50 mph yesterday which tore a diamond shaped patch of shingles off a 10 yr. old roof. Today my son came to see me and a hammer, shingle nails and a tall ladder had all repaired in about an hour. Aren't kids great? I have been searching for a good weather day to go the Harrisburg - about 45 miles south to get stuff I can't get up here in my little town. Since my son was coming to visit and repair the roof today I made a batch of home made spaghetti sauce and spaghetti and baked a cherry pie and some chicken for his lunch.

It is really a blessing to have someone to call and help out in a situation like this. We are both retired. If we call a roofing company (1) they cannot do it for 4 or 5 weeks, (2) their charges are out of this world. This is hard to accept for us oldsters who were always used to getting out the ladder and doing it ourselves.

My husband is 81 yrs. old and doesn't realize that crawling around on ladders and the roofs(which he did all his life) is not an option now. I asked him today if he wanted to live the rest of his life in a wheelchair and not be able to ride his motorcycles. Talked him out of doing it himself. You need to use psychology with 81 yr. old husbands. Bless their hearts!

We are scheduled for Freezing rain and sleet throughout the night until about noontime tomorrow. Guess my trip to Harrisburg, will have to wait until next week.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

February 1, 2008
2:04 AM

Post #4480639

Kelli, ahhh, I should have guessed arborvitae. I would have been closer. I guess it is going to be huge! What a view tho! Are those ducks in the pond?

Seeds, that's a great kid! That's a great lunch! Take care with this weather!
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

February 1, 2008
2:17 AM

Post #4480698

In a rush as there are fire trucks by my neighbor's house.
Not them though... so I'm curious...

a low pressure system will lift northeast across the ohio valley
tonight into friday. as it does...precipitation will develop and
spread northeast across the area during the evening hours. the
precipitation will begin mainly as freezing rain. the freezing
rain may be mixed with snow and sleet at times. the freezing rain
may be heavy at times with significant ice accumulation around a
quarter inch possible before changing to rain late.

Looks like we get just a taste of IL's weather.

BBL
Ric

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

February 1, 2008
2:18 AM

Post #4480700

They are ducks - ring-necked ducks to be exact. They're fairly common around here in the winter. I was surprised that they found the pond so quickly.

One more view of the pond. Yeah, I like the pond.

Thumbnail by Kelli

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

February 1, 2008
2:23 AM

Post #4480722

The worse of the storm skipped me and my job by 15 mintues east and south. We only got a dusting to an inch around here.

Currently: 25F Mostly Cloudy
Currently: -3C Mostly Cloudy
Wind: North at 9 MPH
Dewpoint: 21F
Barometer: 30.06 inches and
Wind Chill: 15F
Wind: North at 14 KPH
Dewpoint: -6C
Barometer: 1018 millibars and
Wind Chill: -9 C
Sunrise: 7:26 am
Sunset: 5:39 pm

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

February 1, 2008
2:26 AM

Post #4480733

Kelli, I like the pond too. I like that view of it. Is it close to your home or are you hiking?

Pepper, I'm glad you're safe! It's still snowing here. We have 24* and close to an inch. It has ice in it so if the sun shines tomorrow it will be sparkle city!
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

February 1, 2008
2:59 AM

Post #4480845

The pond is at one of the places where we go hiking.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

February 1, 2008
3:07 AM

Post #4480878

It's nice to look forward to it!
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 1, 2008
10:25 AM

Post #4481531

Kelli Im so glad the pond is back! I like the pond too! Thats going to be a large building! Wonder what it will be. Post more pics, so we can watch its progress.
Bev Awww, your cardinals are so pretty!
Sally I love your cardinals too! I had one fly past me yesterday morning and lit on the bird feeder about 2' from me. I guess it didnt see me. I said well, good morning and then it flew away! What is the little brown bird? I cant tell.
Se_eds - Im coming to your house for lunch! Sounds delicious! Thats so sweet of your son to come up and help. Thats they way its supposed to be! Thanks for the heads up on the retired husband. Mine is 46 and he still thinks he 18 (doesnt surf, thinks he can, then gets hurt). Stay warm in the cold wet weather.
Ric Hope everything is well at your neighbors house. Yesterday I spoke to a woman from Cleveland, she said it was 0* there. Brrrrrrrrrrr!
Pepper Glad the worst part of the weather missed you. It sounded like it was going to be really bad yesterday.

Here is the new February thread
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/809244/

This message was edited Feb 1, 2008 5:43 AM

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Weather Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Boring Hurricane Boards? Floridian 106 Jul 24, 2011 12:43 PM
Big Feb Storm CountryGardens 54 Mar 3, 2007 2:39 PM
Yipee It's March!! Daily Weather sugarweed 206 Mar 9, 2007 4:58 AM
Deadly Tornado hits Alabama henryr10 22 Mar 5, 2007 5:01 PM
Help!!! Something's eating the moon!!!! Resin 10 Mar 6, 2007 4:42 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America