Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
DeborahLink
New Canaan, CT

January 23, 2008
1:45 AM

Post #4440665

I have many deer which/who have pushed me into learning about plants they leave alone. Over the past five years I have planted many many varieties of Allium. The choices for them are increasingly wide and their shapes, sizes and timing of blooms makes for many continuing surprises in my Connecticut garden.

victorgardener

victorgardener
Lower Hudson Valley, NY
(Zone 6b)

January 23, 2008
1:51 AM

Post #4440694

Thank you Deborah. I too have been adding Alliums. Nice that there are even fall blooming ones! I'll include them in my article that focuses on the plants.

Victor
flowers7
Lutz, FL

March 20, 2010
11:01 AM

Post #7643264

What about us in Florida that have problems with deer eating our plants? I've read a lot of articles but they seem to be from up north? I'm trying to find some bush's that don't get taller than 2 and a half feet, that I can use in front of my Buford Holly bushes, that are about 4 feet tall. I want to replace my 15 year old Indian Hawthorns, which the deer have enjoyed off and on for a long time. They have just outlived their growing life. They are coming back after our hard winter this year and don't know wether to put the samething back in again? We have had a lot of problems with the deer eating them off and on, according to the time of year.

So, any thoughts of what kind of shrub would be greatly appreciated. I've thought of Mrs. Schillers Vibernun, not sure if it looks good in front of the Holly? Also, did forget to mention that we do have reclaimed water, which killed our Laurel Pedlum and azaleas.

So, help me if you can, come up with something that will work.

flowers7

victorgardener

victorgardener
Lower Hudson Valley, NY
(Zone 6b)

March 20, 2010
11:06 AM

Post #7643276

Crape myrtle? I know they are probably way too common there, but mine have never been touched.
hellnzn11
Rosamond, CA
(Zone 8b)

December 21, 2012
7:30 PM

Post #9364303

My house that I just bought was a repo for 4 years and the only things just fine besides trees are mints, boxwoods, butterfly bushes, vinca major, mostly. That is in the west in mountains of Ca.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Bamboozling Bambi Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Educational humor! Sharran 18 Jan 18, 2008 5:58 AM
No white picket fence for me! Dea 1 Jan 17, 2008 9:09 PM
Great! Jax4ever 1 Jan 18, 2008 2:30 AM
Great article! lalushc 1 Jan 21, 2008 3:48 PM
the "deranged dash" banzaibetty 7 Mar 2, 2009 10:30 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America