-
AuthorContent
hammerhead1
Box Springs, GA
(Zone 8a)

January 23, 2008
6:28 AM

Post #4441753

Hey ya'll how soon can I plant potatoes (yukon gold).
doccat5
Fredericksburg, VA
(Zone 7b)

January 23, 2008
10:54 AM

Post #4441897

Normal St Patrick's Day, is the day to plant taters. :) And do it the easy way :) http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/435/
catmad
Pelzer, SC
(Zone 7b)

January 23, 2008
2:57 PM

Post #4442400

Okay doccat5, help. Last nights dinner revealed a bunch of nicely sprouted potatoes. Can I hold them until March? Seems doubtful, as they.ve already started...Any thoughts? Do I have to have indoor potatoes?? :)
doccat5
Fredericksburg, VA
(Zone 7b)

January 23, 2008
3:09 PM

Post #4442458

How long are the sprouts? Are these seed potatoes or one from the supermarket?
catmad
Pelzer, SC
(Zone 7b)

January 23, 2008
3:16 PM

Post #4442502

3/4 to an inch, organic supermarket red potatoes :)
doccat5
Fredericksburg, VA
(Zone 7b)

January 23, 2008
3:19 PM

Post #4442519

Eat em and get your self some closer to planting time :)
catmad
Pelzer, SC
(Zone 7b)

January 23, 2008
3:21 PM

Post #4442524

*G*. I ate the edible parts, but I just can't seem to throw these away. I put them on the counter, and they keep looking at me...all those eyes, ya know...
doccat5
Fredericksburg, VA
(Zone 7b)

January 23, 2008
3:22 PM

Post #4442528

ROFLMAO!! I understand, just rub those eyes off with your hands and make a big ol pot of tater soup with the rest...
catmad
Pelzer, SC
(Zone 7b)

January 23, 2008
3:27 PM

Post #4442553

I'll try, but they've become part of the decor...I do have an empty very large pot. But dirt. I need dirt. hmmmm. Got lots of leaves...know where there's a bag of potting soil, I think...What am I doing...nononononononono
doccat5
Fredericksburg, VA
(Zone 7b)

January 23, 2008
3:30 PM

Post #4442565

Well, you could try it in a large, large container in a sheltered area, if you're feeling brave. LOL Just keep covering the blooms, this way the "eyes" grow up but throw out laterals and each lateral has a tater eye on it, heck larger production and a whole lot easier to harvest.
catmad
Pelzer, SC
(Zone 7b)

January 23, 2008
3:39 PM

Post #4442606

OH!! I've been doing it all wrong! I kept adding _around_ the plant, but never covered the blooms. So, I guess that means just keep the leaves covered, as well. That must be where I went wrong...

Sheltered area will be my front hall and the porch (for sun when they need it, but do they need it if I keep covering them)? Oh dear. Wish I'd never wanted potatoes for dinner...
doccat5
Fredericksburg, VA
(Zone 7b)

January 23, 2008
3:41 PM

Post #4442620

You have to cover the entire plant to get more taters, sunlight will turn them yucky green. Don't know if I'd want taters growing in my hallway, but what ever you like, but you have to have drainage as well, taters don't like wet feet.
catmad
Pelzer, SC
(Zone 7b)

January 23, 2008
4:01 PM

Post #4442722

I kept them covered up to the base of the leaves, so I guess I need to research more. I'll let y'all know if the Hallpotatoes come to be :)

Thanks!
doccat5
Fredericksburg, VA
(Zone 7b)

January 23, 2008
5:13 PM

Post #4442988

Oh please, do. I'd love pictures ...:)
catmad
Pelzer, SC
(Zone 7b)

January 23, 2008
10:55 PM

Post #4444361

I've just discovered an empty garbage can on the front porch. Must be a sign...No! No! Not to throw them out, to use it as a planter! I've read about it, I know I have. It's on wheels and everything.

I must be losing my mind. It's just that it's too hard to wait to plant something...
doccat5
Fredericksburg, VA
(Zone 7b)

January 23, 2008
11:11 PM

Post #4444417

You need to force some bulbs, honey. And that trash can needs drainage...LOL
hammerhead1
Box Springs, GA
(Zone 8a)

January 24, 2008
5:02 AM

Post #4446068

Thanks doccat5
catmad
Pelzer, SC
(Zone 7b)

January 24, 2008
12:21 PM

Post #4446421

doccat5 wrote;"You need to force some bulbs, honey"

I'm doing that, but inadvertantly ;(. The house is really too cold for anything to be happy, except my pansies and the ornamental kale I never got planted outside (BTW, can I eat that?). I suppose I could find a way to make "bulb cozies"...

Yeah, I know about the drainage part. Somehow we have accumulated more garbage cans than we need (or else they're multiplying), so I will see which one lends itself best to draining *g*.
doccat5
Fredericksburg, VA
(Zone 7b)

January 24, 2008
12:33 PM

Post #4446444

Wrong person to ask about kale in any form. I don't believe the "ornamental" type is edible, but if it is you can have my share too. I still have pansies as well, they are so pretty.
No I meant forcing bulbs like hyacinths, daffodils, iris, that sort of thing. I don't do paperwhites because I don't like the way they smell. I started most of the bulbs the end of December and should get growth and bloom in mid February. Their all "sleeping" under a trash bag under my bed. I've got a couple of the big hyacinths, several pots of daffodils and a few iris, those I'm trying for the first time this year.
catmad
Pelzer, SC
(Zone 7b)

January 24, 2008
12:59 PM

Post #4446500

Oh, I knew what you meant*g*. I have a box of spring bulbs that are "forcing" themselves. My fault, I forgot about them, and they've begun to sprout. I would plant them outside if my hands didn't get so numb. Maybe next week, we're supposed to have a warm spell. They're sitting on my table so I don't forget about them again...
doccat5
Fredericksburg, VA
(Zone 7b)

January 24, 2008
1:05 PM

Post #4446512

Well, put em in some starter mix in the house, water and stick them in front of a sunny window. You'll have flower blooms in the dead of winter. Great mood lifter! :)
LTilton
Glen Ellyn, IL
(Zone 5b)

January 24, 2008
3:09 PM

Post #4446940

Drill holes in the bottom of the garbage can. Set it up on a couple of bricks. Throw in a couple of feet of dirt. Throw in the potatoes. Cover with straw.
catmad
Pelzer, SC
(Zone 7b)

January 24, 2008
3:20 PM

Post #4446993

Not enough sunny windows for all of them, but some will get the chance *g*.

LTilton, that's the plan! The garbage can is actually raised off the ground by "feet", so it just needs holes. Having issues deciding how to use what straw I've found (cow food, pet bedding, bale gardening, potatoe growing), it's in short supply around here, and expensive. Can oak leaves go in there, too? That would stretch my supply...
chickenrancher
Nova, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 24, 2008
5:04 PM

Post #4447525

Oak leaves will work great! Read the hyper link from above doccat put in (and wrote) - that will give you lots of info! I can't wait to plant my spuds either!!!! Good luck.
Megan
doccat5
Fredericksburg, VA
(Zone 7b)

January 24, 2008
6:31 PM

Post #4447864

I doubt you'll have problems with potato beetles in a trash can, but I can guarantee on the ground with the oak leaves we no longer have a problem with them. Evidently there's something in the leaves they don't like. One of my neighbor's who plants them in the garden in the traditional way, was having just fits with the nasty things. I talked him into trying a spray with 'juice" from oak leaves we soaked and then chopped up and strained. It worked! Had to redo it after a rain, but it worked. He's said that was way much work, he's going to plant on the ground this year. LOL Most of my neighbors think we're both nutsos, but who cares. They have landscaping I have a garden...:)
catmad
Pelzer, SC
(Zone 7b)

January 25, 2008
12:57 PM

Post #4451522

Wonderful !! I have about 7 acres of oak leaves. Now they will have a purpose...:) If they deter potato beetles, maybe they'll help with other things. I may have to transport some up to the Veggie Garden...

I keep meaning to go back to the link, and will do so before I have to go feed the cows...

My one close neighbor is a dream, she has no problem with any strange thing (read Bale Gardening) I do, and wants to know when I'm getting my chickens and roosters :)
doccat5
Fredericksburg, VA
(Zone 7b)

January 25, 2008
2:02 PM

Post #4451685

That's wonderful. Lucky you, although I keep telling myself, we can barely keep up with the 3/4 of an acre we have now. LOL
catmad
Pelzer, SC
(Zone 7b)

January 25, 2008
2:42 PM

Post #4451822

doccat wrote;"we can barely keep up with the 3/4 of an acre we have now. LOL"

My Mom came to visit in November, and asked me when I planned to get the leaves raked, and the grass edged...LOL
doccat5
Fredericksburg, VA
(Zone 7b)

January 25, 2008
2:53 PM

Post #4451865

ROFLMAO, that would be a job and a half.
chickenrancher
Nova, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 25, 2008
4:56 PM

Post #4452468

Hey, if she thinks its that important she could do it (that's what I'd tell my Mom - not that she would)!!! I only have 1 acre and I can see how clearing 7 acres of leaves and edging isn't high on the priority list.
Now if I can just convince my DH we do NOT need a pig in the spring... Oh, what does he care I take care of the animals so what's one more mouth to feed!?! ...or did he want two?
I'd rather get a cow (hmmm not enough room) or a goat ... even better - less to mow and I'd still get milk. I wonder if I'd like goats milk.
doccat5
Fredericksburg, VA
(Zone 7b)

January 25, 2008
5:02 PM

Post #4452499

Goat's milk is an acquired taste, but it is good. You do need to watch what their eating, just like dairy cattle. Onion flavored goat milk is a big pass! LOL You could also make your own cheese as well. Taking care of a pig is not that big a deal actually. I'm assuming your DH is planning on building you a pen??
LTilton
Glen Ellyn, IL
(Zone 5b)

January 25, 2008
7:27 PM

Post #4453130

Goats can be a lot of trouble if they get out and into the garden.
glendalekid
Tuscaloosa, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 25, 2008
7:41 PM

Post #4453188

Goat's milk is good for making cheese, if you're ambitious. Mother Earth recently published an easy recipe for mozzarella.

Interestingly, pigs are the only farm animals that can be put on self-feeders because they won't overeat. They're also very clean animals when given clean water to keep damp in when it's hot, and are easily housebroken. My daughter wants a pet pig. Since she has five dogs and I have four cats, I keep telling her "no pig".

doccat5,

I didn't think the onion and garlic flavored milk was so bad after my grandma's cows got to eating dog fennel -- oh, my, the milk tastes like quinine. My mom made us drink it -- said there was nothing wrong, that it was perfectly good milk -- I sure learned to drink it down fast.

Karen
chickenrancher
Nova, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 25, 2008
11:39 PM

Post #4454073

Funny to think a pig won't overeat. A goat in my garden wouldn't be around long. My garden is my pride and joy! I read the article about mozzarella on Mother Earth - got me thinking about making cheese. I eat a LOT of cheese!!!!!!!
I eat a lot of garlic so I might not even notice that flavor in milk.
glendalekid
Tuscaloosa, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 26, 2008
1:42 AM

Post #4454518

The thing to remember about goats is that they can jump - even little ones.

I remember years ago seeing the goats in the Petting Zoo, I think in San Diego. Several of the pygmy goats had managed to jump on top of the small dog-house kind of shelters there. These were structures about 3-4 feet tall.

I would find someone who has kept goats and find out how high a grown goat can jump. Probably would take at least 6 foot fence--maybe higher.

Of course, you can always take the route we finally had to with my daughter's newest dog -- basset hound/golden lab -- we had to electrify the fence! He could jump over a 3-foot fence! We have wire fence around three sides and that's what we had to electrify. The front side, which is a picket fence, he doesn't try to get over. I think maybe he is afraid of the points on the pickets. I've seen him try it, but he doesn't really make a serious attempt. Anybody want to buy a Humane Contain collar kit with 700 feet of wire cheap? LOL.

Karen

tarheel2az
Tonto Basin, AZ

January 26, 2008
3:33 AM

Post #4455053

"Horse high, bull strong, goat tight." The ultimate fence.

doccat5
Fredericksburg, VA
(Zone 7b)

January 26, 2008
11:58 AM

Post #4455756

Yes, indeedy. I have a friend who raises goats and that fence is at least 6 ft high. They are amazing critters, truly. If you decide to go for the pig, you won't need a fence that high, they don't jump well. LOL They are escape artists though, so pig tight is a good idea. They are smarter than dogs and you can become quite attached, so if you're figuring on bacon and pork chops down the line, don't name the pig!
Growing up in Nebraska, it's quite normal for women to go hunting together and I had a friend who's daddy happen to raise registered New Hampshire pigs. Yep, pigs have pedigrees too. Anyhoo, Pam, (my bud) rescued the runt of one of the litters and they raised her in the house. Her daddy's golden retriever had just had puppies and she mothered the piglet too. Sadie was her name and she was a piece of work. Best hunting "dog" I've ever walked behind. She thought she was a golden retriever, so she's point and that pig tail would come straight out. Too much. But I think the best thing was her ability to spot and kill rattlesnakes. Pam was in the throes of a break up with the boy friend and probably should not have been out with me and a gun too, but she's sat down on an old stump without looking. Yep, rattler on the other side and not happy about sharing space. That pig and we're talking 900lbs of sow, came around that stump like lightening and nailed the snake. The rest was pretty disgusting, as pigs eat snakes. Sadie was a success story, she had several litters of piglets, which the selling of same, helped Pam pay for college and Sadie died at the ripe old age of 15. They buried her in their pet cemetery.
catmad
Pelzer, SC
(Zone 7b)

January 26, 2008
12:52 PM

Post #4455823

chickenrancher wrote;"I'd rather get a cow (hmmm not enough room) or a goat ... even better - less to mow and I'd still get milk."

Careful what you wish for...My SO wanted cows. I had a friend who had rescue cows (steers, really). We reached a deal where they would transport all my critters (BIG job, the remains of a rescue/sanctuary) from FL to SC, amd I would take the cows. 5 steers, not very big, handraised. Field full of kudzu for them to eat, so no problem. Right? Well, they threw in a cow and calf, and in April there was an unexpected addition, so now 8, one of whom is still a bull...more additions in the future? Sigh. They do look nice spread out across the pasture in the sun, but man, they are expensive when the growing stuff runs out, and hay is scarce :(. And no, there are no hamburgers in their future. BTW, excellent cure for kudzu...

and again;"I eat a lot of garlic so I might not even notice that flavor in milk."

Maybe a plus when making cheese? Pre-flavored?*g*.
doccat5
Fredericksburg, VA
(Zone 7b)

January 26, 2008
12:55 PM

Post #4455828

What breed are your cattle, catmad? Especially the bull. Some need to have a nose ring to help control them when they are grown up bulls. They can be dangerous.
catmad
Pelzer, SC
(Zone 7b)

January 26, 2008
1:04 PM

Post #4455843

Like most everything else here, they're mutts *g*. Well, not really. TBone is an Angus, as is Lucy, the Mommy. The steers others are probably Holstien crosses. Spam (the bull calf) is Angus and possibly Limosin. He's polled, so that helps. His is NOT going to remain a bull. He's really cute right now, and looks like he's half poodle. His coat is long, black, and VERY curly :) The steers are no picnic, either, but for a different reason. They were bottle fed and spoiled rotten, and think they're big dogs, I guess. Want to play. Was okay when they first got here, but they're taller than I am now, so we keep a fence between us. In fact, it's about time to go de-ice their troughs...
deanna8
Raeford, NC

February 18, 2008
9:37 PM

Post #4556673

Have a seed potato question. Have some with rather long sprouts. Should I cut the sprouts shorter or leave and plant as they are. They are a little wrinkly but not rotten so figured they would be alright. Deanna
doccat5
Fredericksburg, VA
(Zone 7b)

February 19, 2008
12:04 AM

Post #4557274

Go ahead and plant them just the way they are. Those long sprouts are going to give you more potatoes.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Vegetables forum! dave 24 Mar 24, 2013 6:54 PM
Tomato problems jkehl 40 Oct 15, 2010 1:06 PM
starting a vegie garden wilflower 28 May 24, 2012 2:38 PM
Nasturtiums and squash? Terry 41 Mar 24, 2007 8:07 PM
Bees Please jkehl 95 Apr 7, 2013 7:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America