AuthorContent
lonediver
Maricopa, AZ
(Zone 9b)

January 23, 2008
5:02 PM

Post #4442942

Hello Equil ,
You remarked that you would like to see a thread started on this so I will provide what I can . I will start by posting links to an organization here in Cave Creek , Arizona who I got a lot of my information from . They did provide me with written instructions on how to build/design structure and when I figure out how to get that from paper to onto to the computer I will post those instruction sheets . I am far more comfortable with construction type tools/skills than I am with office/computer skills . So bear with me and over the weekend I will try to get those instruction sheets up . For now here are some links to the group called Wild At Heart , they have been helpful with thier knowledge/expierience ;

http://mirror-pole.com/wild_at_heart/intro/wah_intro_fs.html

http://mirror-pole.com/wild_at_heart/bur_owl/site_mnu.html

http://mirror-pole.com/burr_owl/redhawk/bo_rh2.html

lonediver
Maricopa, AZ
(Zone 9b)

January 27, 2008
4:20 AM

Post #4459147

A couple of links to the sothwest gardening forum showing pics of what I have gotten made so far of burrowing owl habitat .

Southwest Gardening: Building a bird nest desert syle !

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/803956/

Southwest Gardening: Building A Bird Nest Desert Style - Part Two

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/807823/#post_4458793

I will try to get instructions of how to go about it a a materials list later .
Equilibrium

January 27, 2008
4:56 AM

Post #4459256

I am left speechless and that's pretty darn hard to do to me ;)
lonediver
Maricopa, AZ
(Zone 9b)

January 27, 2008
5:11 AM

Post #4459300

Hi Equil ,

I was wondering where you were , I left a few souces for aquatics and wetlands for you and others .

You may be interested in an upcoming thread on how I am prepping dead trees , cactus for planting .
Equilibrium

January 27, 2008
5:19 AM

Post #4459325

Sometimes I don't get around to looking at new threads in a forum. I about had a heart attack when I saw you were able to start a new thread outlining the process from start to finish and that I hadn't even caught it was out there. I think this is going to be a really great thread for anyone who wants to do something but doesn't quite know how to go about starting. People like you and me jump in feet first but others get hung up in the planning phase because they're afraid to make mistakes. Mistakes happen, there's simply no avoiding them but we can learn from others who have gone there before us and minimize the damage so to speak. It's always nice to watch a blow by blow account of how a real person tackled a real project.
lonediver
Maricopa, AZ
(Zone 9b)

January 27, 2008
5:25 AM

Post #4459341

Ok ,

Step one ;

Get a shovel , be prepared to dig a BIG hole ...
lonediver
Maricopa, AZ
(Zone 9b)

February 27, 2008
11:06 PM

Post #4597808

Never done scanning before lets see if this works ,

Horse puckey , It did not transfer , try again

This message was edited Feb 27, 2008 4:31 PM
lonediver
Maricopa, AZ
(Zone 9b)

February 27, 2008
11:53 PM

Post #4597964

I think that it has taken this time , this is page one of eighteen from a set of instructions on building burrowing owl habitat . There are some things in the instructions that are not accurate I feel such as on page one whereas it may be true that the owls prefer open land , it is not exclusive to thier choice .

Thumbnail by lonediver
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Equilibrium

February 28, 2008
12:10 AM

Post #4598033

I wish I could get one of those clapping smiley faces that comes in e-mails to add to my post. That's a great document.
lonediver
Maricopa, AZ
(Zone 9b)

February 28, 2008
12:16 AM

Post #4598065

Still mucking with this #%*@? computer ! I can run backhoes and most any piece of machinery except this #%&@? thing . I will get the other 17 pages sooner or later .
lonediver
Maricopa, AZ
(Zone 9b)

February 28, 2008
12:36 AM

Post #4598170

page two

Thumbnail by lonediver

lonediver
Maricopa, AZ
(Zone 9b)

February 28, 2008
12:37 AM

Post #4598172

page three

Thumbnail by lonediver

lonediver
Maricopa, AZ
(Zone 9b)

February 28, 2008
12:49 AM

Post #4598225

page four

Thumbnail by lonediver

lonediver
Maricopa, AZ
(Zone 9b)

February 28, 2008
12:56 AM

Post #4598258

page five

Thumbnail by lonediver

lonediver
Maricopa, AZ
(Zone 9b)

February 28, 2008
1:01 AM

Post #4598280

A brief intermission from wrestling with this #%&@? computer . For those of you following this, there is more pictorial of some of my expieriences with this can be seen at ;

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/803956/

and

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/807823/

lonediver
Maricopa, AZ
(Zone 9b)

February 28, 2008
1:39 AM

Post #4598418

page six

Thumbnail by lonediver

lonediver
Maricopa, AZ
(Zone 9b)

February 28, 2008
2:58 AM

Post #4598837

page seven

Thumbnail by lonediver

lonediver
Maricopa, AZ
(Zone 9b)

February 28, 2008
2:58 AM

Post #4598838

page eight

Thumbnail by lonediver

lonediver
Maricopa, AZ
(Zone 9b)

February 28, 2008
3:10 AM

Post #4598885

page nine , that is enough wrestling with the computer for tonight . I will try to get the last nine pages up later this week . Any questions so far ?

Thumbnail by lonediver

lonediver
Maricopa, AZ
(Zone 9b)

February 28, 2008
3:20 AM

Post #4598918

page ten . Apparently I made a mistake this was/is a duplicate of page nine . I will try again .

This message was edited Feb 27, 2008 8:22 PM

Thumbnail by lonediver

Equilibrium

February 28, 2008
3:29 AM

Post #4598949

This is the exact type of information people come looking for! This is really great that you took the time to post all those images.
lonediver
Maricopa, AZ
(Zone 9b)

February 28, 2008
3:43 AM

Post #4599009

If you only knew the trouble I have with dealing with computers . However I do realize that communication is key to people gathering information so I will deal with this pain in the butt chore .

Now my lady my turn to ask info of you , I would desire to know birds ( preferably in my area , southwest of Phoenix ) feeding preferences , diet what have you . Could/would you have access to such information ? Would you mind starting a thread on that ? Also I noticed elsewhere on this forum where you had posted on trapping English Sparrows , have you formed any new insights into this matter ? Preferences as to traps and disposal of the little critters ? I would appreciate any thoughts on the preceding , I will thank you in advance .
lonediver
Maricopa, AZ
(Zone 9b)

February 28, 2008
4:14 AM

Post #4599184

The real page ten I hope .

Thumbnail by lonediver

lonediver
Maricopa, AZ
(Zone 9b)

February 28, 2008
4:15 AM

Post #4599188

page eleven

Thumbnail by lonediver

lonediver
Maricopa, AZ
(Zone 9b)

February 28, 2008
4:34 AM

Post #4599260

page twelve

Thumbnail by lonediver

lonediver
Maricopa, AZ
(Zone 9b)

February 28, 2008
4:46 AM

Post #4599320

page thirteen

Thumbnail by lonediver

Equilibrium

February 28, 2008
4:51 AM

Post #4599334

Quoting: If you only knew the trouble I have with dealing with computers . However I do realize that communication is key to people gathering information so I will deal with this pain in the butt chore .
Yes. loading photos is time consuming and my love of computers is right up there with yours but someday somebody is going to do a search and they're going to end up smack dab here!

OK, so you want to know what plants to select to attract birds that are native to your county based on their diets. I think that might be a question for Audubon but we can do a search. I don't have any books on birds of the Southwest but that can be worked around. I do have a book on American Wildlife and Plants: A Guide to Wildlife Food Habits and I've been using it a lot lately. Cornell has a really great site too.

English sparrows are cavity nesters not burrow nesters so your owl babies should be ok. I did notice you had a bumper crop of HOSPs around Phoenix. I thought we had it bad. I think some of the roof styles out your way might be part of the problem. I saw a tremendous number of tile roofs that were ready made HOSP havens. Thousands of cavities they could nest in per roof. Anyway, I do have preferences over traps these days after having used a few different styles. This particular discussion would need to be moved over to the Invasive Speces Forum. There is a member out there named stelco, please send him a pm. He will help you. Exchange phone numbers and he'll walk you through it.

So now you need to start not one but two new threads! One in Invasives for your HOSP issues and one here to get lists going of plants based on diets of birds native to your region.
lonediver
Maricopa, AZ
(Zone 9b)

February 28, 2008
4:55 AM

Post #4599346

page fourteen

Thumbnail by lonediver

Equilibrium

February 28, 2008
4:58 AM

Post #4599360

Made a mistake, dispatching English house sparrows needs to be discussed in Garden Pests-
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/f/pad/all/
lonediver
Maricopa, AZ
(Zone 9b)

February 28, 2008
5:09 AM

Post #4599392

page fifteen

Thumbnail by lonediver

lonediver
Maricopa, AZ
(Zone 9b)

February 28, 2008
5:18 AM

Post #4599411

I remember my grandmother trapping sparrows her life long . She was a somewhat well known orintholigist in her time , quite a record setter and proud of it . The first woman to band the great horned owl , the first woman to band the ... you get the idea . The first woman president of one or more of various Audobon societies back in the 50's . She is not around for me to seek these answers anymore and I am not much of a joiner of orginizations . Usually too much politiking going on for my taste . I will try the forums you suggest .
lonediver
Maricopa, AZ
(Zone 9b)

February 28, 2008
5:19 AM

Post #4599413

page sixteen

Thumbnail by lonediver

lonediver
Maricopa, AZ
(Zone 9b)

February 28, 2008
5:36 AM

Post #4599440

page seventeen

Thumbnail by lonediver

Equilibrium

February 28, 2008
5:39 AM

Post #4599446

Ahh, an ornithologist in the family! No wonder why you are somewhat familiar with the issues already. You come from good stock!
lonediver
Maricopa, AZ
(Zone 9b)

February 28, 2008
5:42 AM

Post #4599455

page eighteen and I am done , yahoo , promise kept . Now any questions ?

Thumbnail by lonediver

Equilibrium

February 28, 2008
6:10 AM

Post #4599494

I like that the text includes photos. Most people learn better when there is a visual. Those photos are a labor of love, that's for sure. I thought I was bad drilling holes into blocks of wood for mason bees but you blew me out of the water.
lonediver
Maricopa, AZ
(Zone 9b)

May 30, 2008
4:42 AM

Post #5024470

Well guess what folks just to tell you that all the above hard work can pay off , I discovered this evening that I now have three baby burrowing owl chicks in residence with hopes of another pair of parents hopefully having more . I had four from a single pair last year so the project is working .
Equilibrium

September 21, 2008
2:10 AM

Post #5578586

Bumping for Mrs_Ed!

Could use an update of the three babies and photos would be really nice...hint, hint.
lonediver
Maricopa, AZ
(Zone 9b)

September 21, 2008
10:46 AM

Post #5579471

Well Equil , I never did get around to getting pics of the babies but I do have a neat small tale to tell .

I consistently have a problem with ground squirels around here and have taken to trapping them on ocassion to keep thier numbers under control . Normally the burrowing owls do not hunt these but they are not adverse to a few free snacks . Well one night getting home from work , I checked the traps and found that I had some owl dinners . So I walked out to thier burrows and usually would drop the dinners by some of the entrance holes .

This time though to my surprise ( It was after dark ) there was three little balls of fluff grouped right by one of the entrances . Apparently all the adults were away foraging and the chicks in thier innocence let me come right up to them . I played my flashlight on them , admiring them . I was so close that I could have touched them or picked them up . I resisted wanting to do that not wanting to put human scent on them . But they were so goll dang cute . I must have stayed there 5 to 10 minutes with them looking up at me , asking WHOOO are you , what are you . I left and hurried back to the house to get the wife so she could experience this but on going back a second time . At least one of the adults had returned and on our aproach sounded an alarm call . At which the chicks promptly obeyed and went down into the burrow .

Probably not too likely to have this happen again , one of those rare moments . But it is moments like that , that make the efforts worth it .
Equilibrium

September 21, 2008
12:48 PM

Post #5579729

That was your reward for all the hard work you have done providing them with an ideal home.

Have you ever noticed that when life provides you with one of those unexpected kodak moments that you never have your camera around your neck! At least I don't.
lonediver
Maricopa, AZ
(Zone 9b)

September 21, 2008
9:34 PM

Post #5581643

I do not have videos of my own but I found this neat site ;

http://wdfw.wa.gov/wildwatch/owlcam/b_owl.html

Scroll down about 3/4 of the way down the page and they have some video seqeunces of baby owls . #9 on the list is pretty funny .
Equilibrium

September 22, 2008
11:35 AM

Post #5583885

We think #2 was the funniest. One of our kids said they reminded him a little bit of meerkats.
lonediver
Maricopa, AZ
(Zone 9b)

September 22, 2008
3:50 PM

Post #5584851

I had skipped around in viewing them and somehow missed # 2 . I have to agree that was/is my favorite . Though in #9 I liked how the one owlet got aggressive with the camera lens .
Equilibrium

September 22, 2008
4:49 PM

Post #5585128

I saw that #9 and figured there was a bug on the outer casing of the video cam. By that time, they had to be accustomed to the video cam being there so why else would the little chick have come in that close to peck at it? Somebody stated they piled up manure in and around there humble abodes to be able to "farm" bugs so it made sense to me.

All in all, #2 was hysterical with the way his head swiveled around in its socket and then there was the other one in the background standing up to the right like a meerkat getting a peek which made it funnier.
lonediver
Maricopa, AZ
(Zone 9b)

November 5, 2010
12:29 PM

Post #8196148

Any interest in watching me build another burrowing owl habitat ? It is a pain to produce photos, post etc . , so if there is no interest I won't bother . Speak up if you want to see one under construction . anticipate starting in another week or two .
BirdieBlue
Winston Salem, NC
(Zone 7a)

November 5, 2010
4:08 PM

Post #8196554

I'm interested!!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Wildlife Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Hummingbirds! Marilynbeth 92 Apr 29, 2007 7:34 PM
Idaho to kill wolves terryr 36 Jun 8, 2012 2:20 PM
Any one know alot about hawks? lavenderwolf 24 Jun 6, 2007 2:40 PM
Drip watering system for birds? Equilibrium 68 Apr 3, 2008 10:18 AM
Moving a spider egg sac, possible? cresida 23 Jul 21, 2011 4:50 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America