The farm is taking shape!

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Taynors is starting a new farm and building a log house.
A picture story.
We came from;
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/748623/

Best to you on the building & all the other projects.
Bernie

This message was edited Jan 23, 2008 12:29 PM

none of ur business, OK(Zone 5b)

Hahahha thanks Bernie
sorry about that
Well today was a bummer
driveway didn't get started , the guy got a flat tire , hopefully tomorrow . i will have pics too to share .
boy its cold today.

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Can't wait for the pics of the new adventure to start rolling in.

hopefuly tomorrow will be some

well i did start a website with the constuctions going on.
I hate to say that the driveway is taking alot longer to get done than expected.The guy we hired is really taking his time. ! Thank goodness we don't pay him by the hour lol
So i have his first day of work posted on the website .
i will try and post pics here too.
since i m using a diffent program ,im still learning how to do this.
the weather today is not great. snowing and very windy with ice everywhere.
if i can't figure out how to post the pics from my other application then i will give the link to the website
thanks
sue

This message was edited Feb 1, 2008 4:57 PM

here is the link
http://web.mac.com/taynors/iWeb/Raising%20of%20the%20Logs/Raising%20of%20the%20Logs.html

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Sue, a user name and password is required. I couldn't get in.

Scottsburg, IN(Zone 6a)

Hey Sue - what is your driveway guy using as a base, and how deep is he making it?

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

I couldn't get in either. Could you post the pics here. We'd love to see them.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Very easy to post here.
Just hit the browse on the bottom of the post box.
You must have words in the box though.

oh i m sooo sorry
ok
user name is
taynormom
password is
savannahrose
sorry about that. Forgot that part.
i have to transfer sorme of the pics onto another folder to post them here . They are in my digital camera picture project .
but you should have no problems with the password and username
i just have to figure out how to transfer the pics lol :)
Robin i think it is limestone and will dig 6 inches down .
take care
sue

i think i may have it

Thumbnail by taynors

here is Dave hard at work
clearing some of the trees
don't worry
we inspected all surronding area and didn't find any critters living in any burrows, holes,nest or other habitat. We are doing our best to not disturb to much natural habitat.
Doesn't look like it from the pics ,but ...... it is a small are considering
hope you enjoy
sue

Thumbnail by taynors

Hey stop that truck !!

Thumbnail by taynors

Here are some trees
once again
these trees were inspected by a forrester and he said these trees will not live up to there potential, due to rot and disease. Don't get me wrong ,some healthy young trees do need to come out. But we also need to clear out alot of brush and sapling to create air flow.
Maple sapling are a woods worst nightmare along with wild grape vines , they suffucate the trees that need sun like oak .
with this in mind we are acutally creating a better living enviornment for our woods. So trees can be grown to there fullest hight.
Maple sapling will be used as garden teepees for beans ,peas and other viney things.
The rest of the wood will be sold and used for our own use as furniture and firewood.

Thumbnail by taynors
Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Good progress and great forward thinking. Am enjoying your journey.

here is the house site
as you would be driving in from the driveway
the dozer is where the house would be at

Thumbnail by taynors

hey thanks Cajun
need any firewood :) lol

Here you go Robin
as far as i know they are rocks lolol :) that is as far as my knowledge goes .
Which is funny since my mom was a secratary for the Dean of Earth Sciences at Stanford.Gee you would think i would now alot more on rocks :) go figure.

Thumbnail by taynors

we have friends

Thumbnail by taynors

ok so there we are
I hope you enjoyed it . Im having alot of fun with you guys and gals hanging out with me on this journey. I sure do appreciate all the folks here .
Ya'all come back now ya har
(((((sue))))))

Paris, TN(Zone 6b)

Looking great Sue! Thanks for sharing with us :)

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Wonderful, Sue!

Thanks Darius
:)

Sue, RI(Zone 6a)

Sue,
Thanks for sharing all your pics and I love your website! You are so lucky to have a stream running through your property. Your kids are going to love growing up there. My favorite memories of childhood are running through the woods and pastures-never knew what neat thing you'd find for the day. Used to love late summer with the butterflies and dragonflies flying all about the fields.

Did you have LIghtning bugs saanassandy ? i can't wait for them . That is my fav in the summer.
yes your right never the same day in the woods.
we have the clearing done. The culvert in the front by the st rt is also in ,but i don't have a pic of that
here is an update on the website
username is taynormom
password is savannahrose
i will post more pics too here later today

Sue, RI(Zone 6a)

Yes lots of Lightening bugs! they are one of my favs too. We also have a pair of wood owls which serenade us nightly. Also a resident Red-Tailed Hawk-he helps keep down the field mice.
We cut wood to use for heat and we are very careful on where we cut to keep his nesting area. So far he agrees on how we have been managing our forest! He has been here for three years. I've been hoping to get a pic of him but no luck so far! Everytime I see him I don't have my camera.

Scottsburg, IN(Zone 6a)

LOL - your Owl must be able to hear the camera start up and hide :)

Sue, RI(Zone 6a)

lol! The only birds (other than the songbirds) I can catch on film are the turkeys! Not sure what that says about them!

Thumbnail by saanansandy

How great is that saansansandy your own owl . neat
turkeys are notoriously stupid. LOL they realy are dumb, but very lovable. They ain't got the common sense God gave a rock. so i m told lol :)
i live the pic too
sue

Sue, RI(Zone 6a)

Haven't seen the turkeys in about 3 weeks. We had two groups, one with 4 and the other 25 turkeys. They would make their way down the driveway and across the hay field, then down into the yard to check out the bird feeder. Hoping they just changed their routine which they do once in awhile. What concerns me about their welfare is on a walk I took a couple of days ago I found a goose head. Could have been a lone coyote or a fisher cat(guessing). Last week around 4 am, the coyotes found something that got them very excited-we could hear them yipping and howling right through the closed windows. I'm assuming they caught a deer. Gives you chills to wake up to their racket!

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

I enjoyed seeing the pictures. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks Leaf
so glad everyone is enjoying the site.
im sure having alot of fun taking the pics to share.
So i have to look forward to is coyotes and fisher cats , ? ! gulp.
we did see a fox out in the feild last week. and it ran back in the woods.
Well i got a forrester to come out and take a look and give me a managment plan for our woods. We are in the CAUV program .We get a really good tax break. I am glad i called apparently everyone else is booked. He told me to contact the auditor and give them his name and i should be ok to get an extension. I hope so.
I called about 7 forresters and all of them were booked. yikes
stormy our this day. no work on our homesite today. to muddy.
thanks for comming and enjoy
sue

Scottsburg, IN(Zone 6a)

My sis has coyotes in her area too - I may be the only one who's actually seen one there, but we hear them. That's why she got a llama to go with her sheep, apparently they detest dogs of any kind. She's lost one duck since then, but not a thing has happened to the sheep.

I have herd Llamas are good
we are thinking of an Livestock guardian dog like a Pyranese .

Scottsburg, IN(Zone 6a)

She debated that too, but opted for the llama as she didn't want to lose a dog to the coyotes. She does have two "outside" dogs, a blue healer who found them (can't imagine someone dumping him, he's an absolute sweetheart, but there ya go......) and a shepherd mix they got up here at Indy's Animal Shelter. But the llama (his name is Voodoo - he was a 4H project) is King of The Cedar Field, so nothing goes on with his "girls" that he's not instantly up and inspecting!

Llamas are neat
those blue heelers are nice, Dh wants one ,but i said no they have to much energy for me. LOL :)

Paris, TN(Zone 6b)

Love to see your progress Sue, keep 'em coming :)

thanks
not much going on this week i m afraid. it is a Muddy mess out there , we got several inches of rain and it is still comming down . Even the ducks are taking cover from the rain LOL :)
will keep soon as i get some more progress going
I do have to talk to someone on fences and getting a bid
Feb 12 i have another foresseter comming out to help with a managment plan for hte woods. That should be intersting. :)
best and thank you for you interest in my adventure it sure is fun with all you folks to share with
best wishes
sue

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images