Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Article: Hardy Euphorbias in the Garden An Untamed Passion for 'Shrubby Spurges': Very well presented article

Communities > Forums > Article: Hardy Euphorbias in the Garden An Untamed Passion for 'Shrubby Spurges'
bookmark
Forum: Article: Hardy Euphorbias in the Garden An Untamed Passion for 'Shrubby Spurges'Replies: 7, Views: 39
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

January 25, 2008
1:12 PM

Post #4451548

'Chameleon' was one of our first purchases when we established our gardens here. Some went in full sun and others in shade. Their colors are so beautiful all year but in spring, with the newly emerging hostas (as pointed out in Pamela Harper's "Color Echoes" book) it is stunning.

'Bonfire' was added to the garden just last year.

Thanks for all the information and the links.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

January 25, 2008
1:50 PM

Post #4451656

It's one of the rare plants where self-seeding is welcome. The small new plants are so easy to move and double the pleasure of growing them.

victorgardener

victorgardener
Lower Hudson Valley, NY
(Zone 6b)

January 25, 2008
2:12 PM

Post #4451707

Great article, Debbie! They are one of my favorite plants too. I call them Dr. Seuss plants since so many are so weird looking. Lots a number of supposedly zone 6 ones though. Not sure if it was cold or, more likely, extended wet periods in the winter.
rcn48
Lexington, VA
(Zone 6a)

January 25, 2008
7:50 PM

Post #4453230

Thank you both :)

Pirl, I'd love to hear about your experience with 'Bonfire' - good OR bad!

Victor, those "winter wet" conditions are more than likely what caused your problems - most of these Euphorbias detest wet soils. We're a cold Zone 6 and no problems so far, although...I'm going to have to keep my fingers crossed for the Zone 7 plants that I intend to "test" here. Give 'Helena's Blush' a try - she's a beauty :)
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

January 25, 2008
7:53 PM

Post #4453248

So far it's surviving.
rcn48
Lexington, VA
(Zone 6a)

January 25, 2008
8:02 PM

Post #4453274

LOL, well that's better than "dead"! Reports from the breeder indicate the foliage develops rich hues of red in early summer and continues through the fall - is that what you experienced with 'Bonfire'? I've always loved Cushion Spurge's mounded form and if it truly has the rich red foliage, well then...I just must have it!
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

January 25, 2008
8:39 PM

Post #4453414

Since I only received it in October, and planted it right away, I haven't seen it with all the glorious coloring...yet.
bigcityal
Menasha, WI
(Zone 5a)

January 26, 2008
2:11 AM

Post #4454665

Nice selling of those spurges Debbie.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Hardy Euphorbias in the Garden An Untamed Passion for 'Shrubby Spurges' Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Lovely Shrubs debnes_dfw_tx 3 Jan 28, 2008 5:52 PM
Wow, I'm impressed! darius 7 Jan 26, 2008 8:12 PM
Oh mercy.... Chantell 2 Jan 26, 2008 1:51 AM
Talisman Tiger? bearroadie2 6 Apr 20, 2010 10:46 AM
Gopher Repellent sandyrvrsd 1 Jan 29, 2008 7:58 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America