Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

European Gardening: Thyme or Oregano or Plectranthus help with ID

Communities > Forums > European Gardening
bookmark
Forum: European GardeningReplies: 5, Views: 59
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
hobbyodlaren
Link
Sweden
(Zone 5b)

January 25, 2008
1:31 PM

Post #4451597

CLOSED
I think it also called India Oregano it have thick big leaf, greygreen leaf. It is a big robust plant.

Can anybody help me identify and perhaps, any can sell me a cutting

It would be very appreciate.

I had a plant for a couple of years ago and lost it.

Best Wishes from Sweden

This message was edited Feb 23, 2008 11:58 AM

Thumbnail by hobbyodlaren
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Patbarr
Sheffield
United Kingdom
(Zone 7b)

January 26, 2008
7:40 AM

Post #4455646

Plectranthus amboinicus is on the plant finder here and looks like your plant. Sorry I can't help you with a cutting. It isn't one I've tried. What does it taste like, and do use it for the same things you would use Oregano? It looks very much like an apple mint.
hobbyodlaren
Link
Sweden
(Zone 5b)

January 27, 2008
4:25 PM

Post #4460311

Hi
thanks for answer, I have problem to tell the fragrance but it not mint and It no anyone I use in food, only grow it for eye-catching. It is a huge beautiful plant, with think leafs and thick branch a very heavy plant. With strong fragrance, which I canīt identify.
I think Plectranthus amboinicus is an smaller one, with smaller leafs, this one have leafs to about 10 centimetre. And when I got it long time ago she say it was an India Oregano.
bonitin
Gent
Belgium
(Zone 8a)

January 27, 2008
5:45 PM

Post #4460624

Hi hobbyodlaren, it looks like a Plectranthus to me, but perhaps you could post it in the Plant Identification forum, you have the biggest chance there to get it identified. With the right name it will be easier to find it for sale or for trade..
Did it ever flower and how do the flowers look like ?
DATURA12
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 28, 2008
1:48 AM

Post #4462537

Looks like it could be catmint, it would have a unusual scent. Crush some in your hand and look for a cat, if the cat rolls in it or tries to eat it like mine do then that is probably what it might be. Kittens don't care for it so try it on an older cat.
wallaby1
Lincoln
United Kingdom
(Zone 8a)

January 28, 2008
10:18 PM

Post #4466246

Cuban Oregano and Indian Borage are listed in the common names for Plectranthus amboinicus

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/15007/

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other European Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Growing Sweet Peas what is the English Secret? gardendragon 22 May 1, 2009 4:40 AM
where are you? mark 265 Apr 18, 2009 12:30 AM
calling all Irish gardeners mark 53 May 18, 2011 6:49 AM
Old Address in Edinburgh Dinu 7 Mar 26, 2013 10:31 AM
What's occuring in the backyard? Baa 201 Jun 2, 2007 12:59 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America