Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Article: Cats versus House Plants: fun article

Communities > Forums > Article: Cats versus House Plants
bookmark
Forum: Article: Cats versus House PlantsReplies: 6, Views: 51
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Dutchlady1
Naples, FL
(Zone 10a)

January 26, 2008
11:32 AM

Post #4455737

Not having any pets I dont have these problems, but I think these are very good suggestions.
doccat5
Fredericksburg, VA
(Zone 7b)

January 26, 2008
12:40 PM

Post #4455806

Loved your article, what fun. I have only one cat and she so far, knock on wood, hasn't dug in any of the houseplants, I have mostly cacti, that may be the reason. LOL But she loves to curl up around the pots and snooze. Go figure!
Thanks for sharing :)
gardengus
Flora, IN
(Zone 5a)

January 26, 2008
2:32 PM

Post #4456103

Great article ,I too have 6 cats and one out numbered dog.
mommie
Weslaco, TX
(Zone 9b)

January 30, 2008
11:37 PM

Post #4475431

I am the "mother" of 8 cats & 1 dog who thinks she is the mother of those cats. I only have a few house plants & don't have a problem with digging. My problem is chewing or biting on the leaves. Any solutions? I don't think it's harmful,but it sure looks ugly!
threegardeners
North Augusta, ON

January 31, 2008
12:19 AM

Post #4475626

You should try the Bitter Apple stuff. Like I wrote, you have to apply it often, but it does work.
cherigbs
Fort Lauderdale, FL

February 2, 2008
6:52 PM

Post #4486792

I often sit for my daughter's four cats. I have one long haired daushaund - who is not afraid of cats and stands his ground - even when out numbered. The older cats are used to him and they now play with each other- the two younger ones want to fight him. So I have plants and anything else that go flying off in the blue yonder. But the suggestions for the older cats to stay out of my pots - works nicely! Do admit that the dog runs for his life when he sees one of my pots on the floor to let the cats take all the blame. That is the only time he is smart when it comes to the cats. Now for my daughter - she needs to de-claw the cats so my furniture and curtains will stay intact and the dog's nose isn't so scared - or she will need to find a new sitter for her cats. Old saying - three strikes and you're out...this has been the third out sitting for the cats at my house. I have been raised with cats and dogs and never had a lot of problems till she got her cats. Any ideas of why?? Strays in the neighborhood come to this house, but pretty much leave my plants alone - to be fed or get attention. Oh, yes - the dog leaves the cats alone most times or they will play tag - looks like the game of tag anyway. . . husband and dog play tag inside the house. Another idea - when a new stray comes around, I put out moth balls around my delicate plants and the cats will leave the area alone. After awhile I don't need to use the moth balls.
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

February 5, 2008
5:11 PM

Post #4498475

I can just see the squinty-eyed cats backing away from those scented candle pieces! One of my cats would follow that up with "burying" the offending area with her paw.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Cats versus House Plants Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Great Job Lee Anne! plantladylin 1 Apr 23, 2010 10:35 PM
Your friend Slant..aka Rugcat rugcat 1 Jan 27, 2008 1:59 AM
cats and house plants hihosilver63 1 Apr 23, 2010 10:33 PM
Cats and plants baileyweb 1 Apr 23, 2010 10:28 PM
cats and coleus candyinpok 0 Jan 28, 2008 8:07 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America