Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: Cilantro: From Seedling to Salsa: Volunteers

Communities > Forums > Article: Cilantro: From Seedling to Salsa
bookmark
Forum: Article: Cilantro: From Seedling to SalsaReplies: 8, Views: 65
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Bubba_MoCity
Missouri City, TX

January 26, 2008
1:58 PM

Post #4455974

We are only 50 miles from the Gulf Coast, so quite a bit warmer than Kansas.

I intentionally let my first crop go to seed and harvested a whole baggie of seed. But I have not had to replant due to the volunteers.

We use the cilantro, parsley, and dill at our restaurant. I harvest a bit different than your suggestion -- I use kitchen shears and cut about 3 inches above ground - within a week, I have more harvestable produce.

Thanks for the article.
planolinda
Plano, TX

January 26, 2008
2:23 PM

Post #4456067

i have not had luck with growing cilantro and i just love it--will try again this year--oh and i like rice in my tortilla soup --i like to add that little pack of yellow rice (can't think of the name now) --but have made recipes using enchilada sauce which was really good too and one even added a package of ranch dressing and that was great--i love making salsa too--as for your brother not liking cilantro-i heard martha stewart say she doesn't like it and my husband doesn't--i guess it is something you love or hate because i just can't imagine not loving that fresh taste!
Bubba_MoCity
Missouri City, TX

January 26, 2008
2:42 PM

Post #4456136

planolinda,
Do you need some seeds?

I can send some - just need an address, so d-mail at your convenience.
debi_k
S of Lake Ontario, NY
(Zone 6a)

January 26, 2008
4:26 PM

Post #4456545

I love Cilantro and grow it, love to smell it in the garden. Thanks for the article!
planolinda
Plano, TX

January 26, 2008
4:29 PM

Post #4456553

i buy mine from the store and always smell it first--i love the smell too--haven't smelled it from a garden tho--bet that is nice!--sent you an email bubba
tabby7
Alford, FL

January 28, 2008
2:12 PM

Post #4464273

Cilantro self seeds and laughs at frosty weather. My grandchildren love it. They call it "the herb" and head to my herb patch to nibble on cilantro as soon as it starts to spring up. We all think it looks good, smells good and tastes good. mmmmm!
planolinda
Plano, TX

January 28, 2008
11:04 PM

Post #4466371

made a cuban dish for dinner club last weekend and used lots of cilantro--and of course for us tex/mex also uses cilantro
newenglandprim
Brooklin, ME

May 20, 2008
3:26 PM

Post #4978315

I just love cilantro in fresh flower arrangements...it's a sweet little filler flower and you sure can't beat the smell! My raised garden bed is getting dismantled to make way for a new potting shed this summer, so I'm going to try raising it in pots on the deck this year. But rest assured, once the shed is in place, my landscaping will be raised herb and veggie beds all around it!!
planolinda
Plano, TX

May 20, 2008
10:16 PM

Post #4980115

thanks for a great idea --i love the smell of cilantro and NEVER would have thought of using it for decoration! i am growing a lot of it and it is doing great

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Cilantro: From Seedling to Salsa Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
thanks Dutchlady1 9 Apr 1, 2010 10:28 AM
Great Article! karri_sue 0 Jan 26, 2008 11:19 PM
Just in time grampapa 1 Jan 27, 2008 5:05 AM
Cilantro in flower beds or containers CLScott 1 Jan 30, 2008 8:34 PM
preserving cilantro jes649 1 Jun 9, 2008 9:20 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America