Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Antiques and Collectibles: Odd "Collections"

Communities > Forums > Antiques and Collectibles
bookmark
Forum: Antiques and CollectiblesReplies: 88, Views: 1,620
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
bigbubbles
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 26, 2008
8:39 PM

Post #4457531

Found theses when I was trying to open a few more boxes in my garage (and they still stink like milk)...somewhere, there's a box of milk bottles too!

Thumbnail by bigbubbles
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Raggedyann
Lawrenceville, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 27, 2008
2:40 AM

Post #4458796

Neat! I wanna come play at your house!

Susan ;)
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 27, 2008
3:10 AM

Post #4458914

Oh, me, too.
bigbubbles
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 27, 2008
4:10 AM

Post #4459116

My "intention" was to keep posting odd stuff I found in the garage boxes...but it was a warm beautiful afternoon...and everyone was out...so I closed the garage door and played outside! Intend to post somemore of the things I've hung onto just because I don't know what they are. Seems like there's always someone here with a good explanation of some oddities I've uncovered. Maybe tomorrow!
And...Come play anytime!
bigbubbles
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 28, 2008
12:23 AM

Post #4462225

Set of dishes...service for 8...must be hand painted by some little ole lady...most read Rosenthal on bottom, some have other markings. Question is...what are the little 2 handled cups? Are they tea cups? I first thought they were cereal bowls (in my infinite wisdom)...there's only one larger 2 handled bowl, and one 2 handled plate and one oval plate...
Appreciate input...

Thumbnail by bigbubbles

bigbubbles
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 28, 2008
12:31 AM

Post #4462263

And here's the dress pattern I found. Instruction booklet included. One pattern for all sizes.

Thumbnail by bigbubbles

bigbubbles
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 28, 2008
12:33 AM

Post #4462273

Purty lady's dress...

Thumbnail by bigbubbles

bigbubbles
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 28, 2008
12:41 AM

Post #4462308

And the instruction booklet...maybe I'll make one for Halloween!

Thumbnail by bigbubbles

LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 28, 2008
1:57 AM

Post #4462577

Well, the only I can say for sure is that the two handled cups are for soup or broth. I have some of those in one of my sets. Rosenthal? Google it.
The pattern at first I thought was a reproduction. What kind of paper is it on?
bigbubbles
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 28, 2008
2:21 AM

Post #4462717

The handled cups are only 3" across...kinda small for soup.. Looks like the set was put together from 'blanks' of Rosenthal, Haviland, B&S/Austria, M Z/Austria, and J R Hulschenrlulher(????), and the teapot's unmarked...

The pattern is cardstock weight ...the instruction booklet is very thin paper, 12 pps. I don't think it's a reproduction...

edited to add: some of the Rosenthal pieces also stamped "Donotello."

This message was edited Jan 27, 2008 8:23 PM
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 28, 2008
2:33 AM

Post #4462836

The "soup" would be very thin...such as bullion (sp). Very light first course.
bigbubbles
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 28, 2008
3:11 AM

Post #4463068

Gotcha... soup bowls. Well, if they don't go in the dishwasher...they're all going back in a box!
Thanks for explanation.
bigbubbles
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

February 22, 2008
4:20 PM

Post #4573034

Found these in bottom of box...will put them in a vase, as they look like potential "choking hazzard" for a DGS

Thumbnail by bigbubbles

bigbubbles
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

February 22, 2008
4:24 PM

Post #4573056

And this was in a box of insulators. It's ceramic and heavy. 'About 11" across the base. Could it be an old insulator? If not, it's going to be a small water feature in the garden soon...

Thumbnail by bigbubbles

bigbubbles
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

February 22, 2008
5:45 PM

Post #4573502

I thought these were all baby spoons, but some may be for jelly, maybe? Most are a little over 4" and none are longer than 5 1/2"...
I kept them for DGS, but DD preferred rubber coated spoons...

Thumbnail by bigbubbles

LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 22, 2008
6:13 PM

Post #4573604

The curled under handle is a baby spoon, the larger bowls are for sugar, the smallest bowls are demitasse. Hard to compare sizes in the picture.

the seven with matching handles and bowls may possibly be for consomme.

This message was edited Feb 22, 2008 12:15 PM
bigbubbles
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

February 22, 2008
7:25 PM

Post #4573835

Thanks! I put the curled handled one there for comparison.
Glad you're home safe and sound! Followed your Hawaiian adventure...it'll never leave you, you know. You take the islands with you, always in your heart.
schickenlady
Sherrie In, NH
(Zone 5a)

February 22, 2008
7:44 PM

Post #4573886

The marbles I see one TRUE Cats eye. Go to http://www.marbleconnection.com/ Those people there can tell you anything about marbles.
bigbubbles
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

February 22, 2008
8:23 PM

Post #4574010

Wow...a website just for marble collecting! Thanks for the link schickenlady!
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 23, 2008
12:37 AM

Post #4574933

It would be so wonderful if we could go back together. As you know, have been home just a little over 24 hours and already thinking about the next time.
sigh.

Princess Kilikina
bigbubbles
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

February 23, 2008
3:19 PM

Post #4577096

Well...we'll just have to have a Hawaiian Round Up!!!!!
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 23, 2008
4:46 PM

Post #4577510

Sylvain, LouresPolaire, is already working on it for 2009. Save your pennies.
bigbubbles
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

February 23, 2008
4:48 PM

Post #4577524

Ahem...it'll take more than pennies! I just hate that long flight.
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 23, 2008
4:55 PM

Post #4577551

I agree with you on both counts. We had not flown since 9/11. The TSA at DFW needs to be taught manners. They were unnecessarily rude to everyone. Big power trip. The flight from DFW to LAX was almost unbearable it was so crowded and hot. Both coming and going. We were shocked at the number of small children and babies. They were very unhappy and made it known to everyone. However, since there are no other choices, the end result was well worth it. Ahhhhh Maui.
Raggedyann
Lawrenceville, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 23, 2008
10:11 PM

Post #4578745

If you ever want to sell off a few of the marbles and milk bottle tops, let me know! :)
Your garage is awesome!

Susan
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 23, 2008
11:31 PM

Post #4579073

After having seen just a smidgeon of your collections, you may have enough to take a very good trip were you to sell some of them.
bigbubbles
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

February 23, 2008
11:59 PM

Post #4579178

Raggedyann...if you want a few bottle tops, I'll just send you some...

Christi...that may be a good idea! Our entire subdivision is having a garage sale the end of March. I'm sure DH would love to see the floor of his garage one of these days! I never intended to be the "keeper of the c#*$" for this long. Just had too many other things get in the way... Will challenge myself to open another box or two before spring fever hits and I can't leave the garden!

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

March 10, 2008
5:08 AM

Post #4644889

The 2 handled bowls are called "cream soup". The big brown thing is an insulator off of a large transmission line.

Back in the late teens to the 20's, young ladies were trained to hand paint china for the big importers. The importers would buy blanks from the factories in Europe & the ladies would paint them. Most of the hand painted things were done here & not in Europe.
I have a lunch set I bought at an estate sale. It also has blanks with many different back stamps. When I asked, I was told the lady had been a "hand paint girl" and painted this set for herself. They are all signed by her. Kind of neat knowing who painted rather than just a signature.

Thumbnail by CountryGardens

LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 10, 2008
4:03 PM

Post #4646191

Thank you Gardens, always looking for more education.

LouC
bigbubbles
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 11, 2008
1:05 AM

Post #4648503

Thanks so much C Gardens! Hope the old insulator isn't collectible. I plan to stick it in the yard for the birds as soon as it gets warm!
I did actually manage to open a couple of boxes. I found a "collection" of over a hundred shot glasses. And... too many to count...little footed ice cream dishes. At least I think that's what they are. Maybe a drugstore closed? I have 3 tall soda fountain chairs and a couple of low tables...so I'm figuring maybe my aunt went to an auction of such? Just don't know.
I think the china set I have may have been painted by a lady my aunt knew. It certainly isn't as pretty as your set, tho!
Appreciate the feedback.
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 11, 2008
1:28 AM

Post #4648666

Goodness me. You have a fortune in collectibles. What an astute aunt you had.
Might want to have someone help you before you just sell all of those for 25 cents apiece. Don't want to leave money on the table. Trying to help my cousins with their parents estate now. Cannot believe the wonderful things my aunt had. They were married for 72 years.

Christi
MitchF
Lindsay, OK
(Zone 7a)

March 12, 2008
5:22 PM

Post #4654799

Those insulators are collectible - Have 20 or so myself. They come in all colors and the blues, purples, and red tones being the most costly overall. The clear are very common and the soil ones like that (most are clear glass) are with the clear - unless the date and who made it or it was used for something special... they can run from 5.00 to 500.00 to the right person.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 16, 2008
2:11 AM

Post #4669072

My screen isn't as clear and when I looked at your insulator photo, it looked like the base for a chick waterer. We had something similar on the farm but may have recycled an insulator for that ~ We would use a large fruit jar filled with water invert the base on it and turn it upside down. The water would trickle into the base on demand. I am suspect Bernie is right on the 11' insulator though.

bivbiv

bivbiv
Central FL, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 16, 2008
7:27 PM

Post #4671147

Have you thought of selling the marbles, insulators, etc. on eBay?
bigbubbles
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 17, 2008
3:54 AM

Post #4673224

Christi...72 years they were married... I hope I live that long!
Some of the glass insulators are already in the yard on rebar sticks, poking out of the fern bed. Look kinda cool...
Pod..I do have a chicken feeder, or waterer, that's crockery...doesn't look like the brown insulator. 'Have a bunch of crockery jugs, all sizes...two with dried corn cobs for stoppers...
I put the marbles in glass candle holders. I think I'm too lazy to keep up with e-Bay.
I opened an old wooden trunk and found my little Southern Baptist aunt had it stuffed with decorative Jim Beam bottles!!! Maybe I can use 'em for planters...I don't think there's a big market for those in my lifetime!
Had planned to get some stuff out for the neighborhood garage sale, but it's the same day as Zilker Botanical Garden Festival. I check in the horticultural entries for the flower and vegetable show then. Can't do both... Plus I bought 3 racks of bedding plants on sale at Lowe's and have been planting them for nearly a week... too many distractions. Maybe before it gets too hot I can have a garage sale. I really have gotten rid of quite a lot of things in the last few yrs. I hung onto a lot for my daughter...who now likes modern...who knew?!
Appreciate the I.D.s on some of these mystery things...
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 17, 2008
11:58 AM

Post #4673759

Hmmm... sounds like DH won't see the garage floor anytime soon ~ LOL

Let me add, I hope you keep posting the goodies. It is almost as much fun as being there opening the boxes. 8 )

This message was edited Mar 17, 2008 6:59 AM
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 17, 2008
2:08 PM

Post #4674140

I second that, Pod. Might just take a look at the Jim Beam bottles. My uncle owned a liquor store for awhile (he died at 94) so it was sometime ago. He has 20 something Wild Turkey decanters. I was real disappointed to find they are only worth 30-35 dollars but the Jim Beam was a whole 'nuther story. That very well might be your next trip to Hawaiia. Won't get that kind of money in a garage sale. I don't like the hassell of e-bay so we are saving out the items that we know are worth several hundred dollars to take somewhere else. Check and see if you have any Miriam Haskell jewelry. My aunt had a lot and we were shocked to learn it is worth almost as much as her precious gems. Who knew?
Sometimes it is better to have your garage sale apart from the neighborhood. Most people have a designated amount they can spend and they tend to spread it around. Means less sales for each individual although it is a lot of fun. AND A WHOLE LOT OF WORK! (not shouting, just trying to emphasize)

LouC
vossner
Richmond, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 17, 2008
2:18 PM

Post #4674187

fascinating collections.
sandy, I think you ought to drop everything and make you a dress from that pattern, in time to wear in August...
velveteena
Seattle, WA

March 17, 2008
8:24 PM

Post #4675463

Funny insulator story...We were visiting relatives in NZ, and picked up a few insulators that we found here and there while we were touring. Upon departure, the security guy was rather amused. He asked if we were planning to start up our own phone company! Well, you had to be there and hear his cute accent and the spontaneity of his quick wit.

We used to have quite an insulator collection. They were cool, but I kind of got sick of having them around. Believe me, we have plenty of other stuff to make up for it. My only comment is that they just wouldn't sell for any price in my yard sale. Maybe I underpriced them! I'd target the true collectors. Anyway, keep the ones you like best---they were made to be outside anyway. I love the chick waterer idea.

Some of those marbles look rather ancient. My entire collection that were my dad's were stolen when I took them for 4th grade show and tell in 1959. There's a lesson in there, which I hope my son has learned thru having things ripped off at school, but I was pretty naieve in 1959. Still breaks my heart, but I've moved on. I have always had a fondness for marbles, though, and they look lovely displayed in any manner of glass receptacle. Some collectors display their special ones in the divots of those old glass frogs. Looks pretty if the sizes are compatible. I also love to decorate my potted plants with them, esp. if they need a color boost or other interest.

A few years back, the bottle tops were quite a craze. They called them pogs and new ones were created for advertising, etc. Again, a specialty item, but fun, esp. with the lingering milk aroma. At least they take up little space while you search for a real collector.

velveteena
Seattle, WA

March 17, 2008
8:36 PM

Post #4675512

Country Gardens, I'm fascinated by the story of the hand-paint ladies. Even tho I am often criticized for incessantly inspecting plate bottoms, I had never heard this explanation. Your set is absolutely gorgeous. When my girlfriend was studying fashion design, she remarked that people seldom realize that their clothing is made by humans. We are in such a machine age, even in China, that one has trouble believing such exquisite designs could be executed by a "mere" human. BTW, my mom used to sell Rosenthal in her gift shop. It was the delicate china all the brides wanted, and it even had matching crystal for some patterns. VERY delicate!
bigbubbles
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 18, 2008
2:55 AM

Post #4676938

Christi, I thought you were kidding about Jim Beam bottles...I'll have to take a look at them again. DD got most of the "vintage" jewelry. I don't think there was much, but one day I'll look.

Nery, I'll make you a dress from that pattern. Flannel maybe? Just as soon as I finish my backyard... Lowe's made me an offer I couldn't refuse and I have planted impatiens and geraniums for a week...literally. Paid $10. for over $460. in impatiens on a rack. While we were cramming them into the truck, the asst. mgr said they had more...but we had no room. I dropped lots off at DD's and we unloaded rest at home. DH asked if I was going back to see what else they had...well, I wasn't...but while he napped I drove back. The gal at the register said the two racks I bought on that trip rang up to over $1260. for $20. total. I had geraniums three deep in truck bed, a dozen qts of petunias, and more impatiens. Drove back to DD's and she was able to line front of her house with lots of red geraniums. If the storm tonight doesn't produce hail, I should have a pretty Easter garden till late June. Glad I have a rain tank! Still taking stuff out of greenhouse too. Makes for a messy mess...Plus I have caladiums and bulbs coming from co-ops...

Likes the insulator story...I'm sure they see everything coming thru customs! Had to laugh about displaying marbles in glass frogs. I have a box of those too! Some are ceramic, colored glass, pottery,dif. sizes. I usually have them out about now because I have spring flowers that I like to cut and bring in. I decorate my large palm pot on the patio with wine corks! Then the squirrels steal them and drop them in the neighbors' yards...and then I just have to keep replacing them...sigh..
Including pic of my little car that sits down behind the pond...

Thumbnail by bigbubbles

podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 18, 2008
10:33 AM

Post #4677581

Like your ride! But you need a bigger truck to doodle plants home from Lowes ~ LOL

Very pretty setting. I wouldn't want to be in the garage rummaging thru musty old boxes either. 8 )
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 18, 2008
1:29 PM

Post #4677933

Wow! What's with Lowe's. Are they closing down the garden center? You certainly deserved this windfall.

Christi
velveteena
Seattle, WA

March 18, 2008
3:40 PM

Post #4678495

Oh, Bubbles, your garden is fabulous! But I won't, I WON'T, scour all the yard sales for a similar vehicle. I just WON'T! It is so adorable in front of all the gorgeous geraniums. They are certainly workhorses in the garden, aren't they? Your neighbors must love you and your garden. We are all thrilled about your Lowe's haul. The Queen of England has similar resources for her gardens, I'm sure. In for Easter, something new for her birthday in June...
schickenlady
Sherrie In, NH
(Zone 5a)

April 8, 2008
5:32 PM

Post #4776579

I have been putting this off until the snow flew away. WHEELS

Out behind the house near a shed.

Thumbnail by schickenlady

schickenlady
Sherrie In, NH
(Zone 5a)

April 8, 2008
5:32 PM

Post #4776581

Then turn around

schickenlady
Sherrie In, NH
(Zone 5a)

April 8, 2008
5:33 PM

Post #4776585

Boxes in the shed that have to be put togather

schickenlady
Sherrie In, NH
(Zone 5a)

April 8, 2008
5:34 PM

Post #4776589

Start walking up the driveway and in my little DL garden

schickenlady
Sherrie In, NH
(Zone 5a)

April 8, 2008
5:35 PM

Post #4776593

keep walking up the driveway

schickenlady
Sherrie In, NH
(Zone 5a)

April 8, 2008
5:35 PM

Post #4776596

Back down the driveway to the lower back 40...

schickenlady
Sherrie In, NH
(Zone 5a)

April 8, 2008
5:36 PM

Post #4776597

Near my Green House in the back 40...

schickenlady
Sherrie In, NH
(Zone 5a)

April 8, 2008
5:37 PM

Post #4776601

Walking in the house

schickenlady
Sherrie In, NH
(Zone 5a)

April 8, 2008
5:38 PM

Post #4776603

In the house - a bathroom that is getting ready to be gutted.

schickenlady
Sherrie In, NH
(Zone 5a)

April 8, 2008
5:39 PM

Post #4776609

I know there is more tucked away in trailers... I did not take pictures of the SLEIGHS!
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 8, 2008
11:34 PM

Post #4778019

How wonderful! Glad you have a loooottt of room. Very unusual collection and I know were you to decide you were tired of it, there would be hundreds knocking down your doors to buy. How did you ever get started?

Christi
bigbubbles
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 9, 2008
12:08 AM

Post #4778172

How'd you keep them from deteriorating? I have four buggy wheels that I put out along the fenceline and they're just metal rings now. That's quite a "collection!" Just love that buggy...oh, what I'd do with a big yard!
schickenlady
Sherrie In, NH
(Zone 5a)

April 9, 2008
11:24 AM

Post #4780358

I went back out in the yard. Back up the driveway on the other side.

schickenlady
Sherrie In, NH
(Zone 5a)

April 9, 2008
11:24 AM

Post #4780360

In a trailer in the back 40

schickenlady
Sherrie In, NH
(Zone 5a)

April 9, 2008
11:25 AM

Post #4780364

I missed these! The other side of the green house.

schickenlady
Sherrie In, NH
(Zone 5a)

April 9, 2008
11:26 AM

Post #4780366

Inside the leantoo

schickenlady
Sherrie In, NH
(Zone 5a)

April 9, 2008
11:27 AM

Post #4780371

Now in the bigger garage - we have 2 garages.

A spinning wheel...

schickenlady
Sherrie In, NH
(Zone 5a)

April 9, 2008
11:28 AM

Post #4780375

And a Jennyville Cart.

schickenlady
Sherrie In, NH
(Zone 5a)

April 9, 2008
11:39 AM

Post #4780419

We go to auctions. Ocassionally sleighs, wheels and buggies will show up. I have even seen just a buggy seat go for like 10 bucks at an auction. People will buy them and mount them on a wooden bench and stick them in their house as furniture or decor.

To keep from deteriorating, keep a good coat of paint on them and keep it off the ground. Don't let it set in mud or water. Another thing is get it as dry as possible and soak it in linseed oil. I don't think they can be painted if soaked in oil. DH takes care of these so now you got me wondering if they can be painted or not after soaked in oil! Common sense tells me no.

bivbiv

bivbiv
Central FL, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 9, 2008
2:15 PM

Post #4781049

I love the sleigh. Do you have any idea of its age? What do you plan to do with it?

Btw, I have a friend who lives in Lincoln, NH, and yesterday she told me the snowdrifts are still piled high there.
MitchF
Lindsay, OK
(Zone 7a)

April 19, 2008
12:58 PM

Post #4830958

Wades Whimmies and Mold O Rama figures here - they are packed mostly but will get some photos up when I can the chance!
bigbubbles
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 27, 2008
3:03 AM

Post #4869625

Finally remembered to take camera to lake...here's some of the smaller jugs...notice the "shoeshine stand" in front of 'em. DH manages to trip over it periodically!

Thumbnail by bigbubbles

MitchF
Lindsay, OK
(Zone 7a)

April 27, 2008
3:05 AM

Post #4869644

Love the jugs!
bigbubbles
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 27, 2008
3:59 AM

Post #4869874

Somehow, I came home with a collection of hats when we were in Hong Kong, and they ended up at the lake. I know they're not valuable...but when my DSIL decided to have his bachelor party at the lake...they all used 'em while shooting pool and water-skiing, then ...forgot where to replace 'em, so that the next time were there...I "sensed" something was a little different!

Thumbnail by bigbubbles

bigbubbles
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 27, 2008
4:01 AM

Post #4869880

moving around

Thumbnail by bigbubbles

bigbubbles
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 27, 2008
4:02 AM

Post #4869885

and another...

Thumbnail by bigbubbles

bigbubbles
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 27, 2008
4:07 AM

Post #4869903

BTW... that little TV only gets one channel...the tree next door ripped all the "legs " off our antenna this winter...
mgh
Willamette Valley, OR
(Zone 8a)

April 27, 2008
4:15 AM

Post #4869930

Bummer about the TV. The hats are GREAT though! I love 'em!!
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 27, 2008
5:13 PM

Post #4871710

With your imagination I would think a tv would never be turned on. Your collections are worthy of a museum. Don't let anyone know what you have inside your homes are they might visit while you aren't there. I would expect the hats are worth a good bit more than you think. Going to go back and study the pictures closer as these are things I have never really seen. Only on the "tv". You are a very interesting person revealed by the things you deem worthy of keeping. All baskets are still handmade---no machines anywhere. It appears that all of these hats are woven like a basket, only better. When viewed from the perspective of two hands weaving and working it makes them even more special. You inately appreciate it. Sure wish I could meet you. A really special person.

Christi
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 27, 2008
5:16 PM

Post #4871722

Gosh, missed the baskets the first time around while looking at the hats. The lamp is very unusual. Baskets everywhere. Are the pictures of your stay in Hawaii?

Christi
bigbubbles
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 27, 2008
11:24 PM

Post #4873275

Thanks, mgh. ...And Christi, I'm blushing...if you could only see the chaos I see when I open the attic door...or worse..the garage...
The baskets, hanging from the ceiling, I collected in while in Hawaii. And when we went to Singapore, Hong Kong, Manila, and Bangkok...I always was slipping a basket into my luggage. I have over 100 miniature ones that used to be all over the kitchen walls at the lake...so many nail holes to fill before I painted! The lamp is a shrimp trap, I had DH make it into a lamp. Behind the telescope is a tobacco basket. Most floor baskets are from Manila. DD has some in her house that are "on loan."
Two paintings, I did...Padre Island (above tv), and North Shore Oahu (above couch). Middle pic is one I bought of Texas Coast...while in Hawaii!
The jugs were bunched together so I could get them all in one pic. They don't always look so messy.
Appreciate the comments. 'Enjoy sharing...
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 28, 2008
2:23 AM

Post #4874282

Oh my lord! An artist to boot. I'm feeling real jealous about now. Not really. Just glad to have you share an enormous talent.

Christi
bigbubbles
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 28, 2008
3:50 AM

Post #4874878

...Just not a very good artist, I'm afraid, Christi!

We had company tonight, but I wanted to share paper dolls of "Mona Haney, age 10." I believe she's the same Mona that kept all her postcards for yrs and yrs...I laid them out, snapped a pic, and then scooped 'em up minutes before a 2 yr old showed up!

Thumbnail by bigbubbles

LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 28, 2008
12:51 PM

Post #4875985

Goodness, girl. You could open your own shop. Love the red rug. We are currently removing red carpet in our family room. Have loved it for a long time.
Changing decor.

Christi
Countrymom
Cuyahoga Falls, OH
(Zone 5a)

May 3, 2008
2:02 PM

Post #4900635

All your collections are fascinating ! We have a collection that just kinda evolved. It wasn't intentional. Key chains ! When my youngest son was in grade school, he bought me a key chain that said "World's Best Mom". I kept it, of course. Years later, my grandson sent me one that said "World's Best Grandma" - another keeper.

Sometime's people sent us keychains from vacation spots, and of course, we kept them.

My DH got a couple at work from seminar promotionals, and one of my daughter-in-laws sells Avon and she started sending key chains which have flashlights.

Some have logos - like Time Warner Cable, and Ray Thomas Chrysler. We even have one that has the name of our apartment complex.

Like I said, the collection just evolved over the years. We have about fifty now. We moved last year, and I haven't figured out just where to hang them yet. Right now they are in a box for safe keeping.
bigbubbles
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 3, 2008
2:13 PM

Post #4900684

Christi...that's just a small area rug in my little computer room. How's your new carpet look? I have a deal with 2 yr old. He can drink anything from a cup (milk, grape juice, etc.) in the gameroom...as long as he spills a little each time. I have plans for a wood floor in there soon!
Don't think I'd be any good at opening a shop...too many other things interest me. I'd be closed most of the time...

Countrymom...that's a new one...keychains! Send us a photo when you get them hung. I'm going to have to look around. I bet I have some I can send you. Then I can tell my DH, "See, I'm getting rid of stuff!"
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 3, 2008
2:21 PM

Post #4900715

The room is mostly ceramic tile (as is the majority of the house) and we replaced the plush red with a mottled berber that blends well with the tile. Did a really drastic change. Room is actually a sunroom with 13 windows, looks into the back garden and now it is more complimentary to the view I see every day. Oh, sigh.

This picture is not real good. Took it through the screen and it sort of blurred it a bit. So beautiful today.

Christi

Thumbnail by LouC

bigbubbles
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 3, 2008
2:26 PM

Post #4900732

If my backyard looked that colorful...I wouldn't be standing behind screen...I'd be out there sniffing all the flowers!!! It's beautiful. We had a hailstorm with wind last Sunday. My garden looks like a took a machine gun to it! Now get outside and send another pic without the screen!
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 3, 2008
2:41 PM

Post #4900776

Oh my goodness. I just cringe when I hear possible hail. I'm sorry.

It is 48 here this morning. Just waiting for it to warm up a little. If you could see how little "housekeeping" is done these days you would believe I am 'out there' as much as possible---way after dark. I know that it will be over soon as the temps approach 100 and the mosquitos take over. No way to get a picture of the whole thing. My camera needs a wide lense.

Thumbnail by LouC

bigbubbles
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 3, 2008
2:44 PM

Post #4900785

Sooo pretty!
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

July 6, 2008
2:11 AM

Post #5210142

rosenthal is verrrry expensive .
schickenlady
Sherrie In, NH
(Zone 5a)

July 6, 2008
9:28 AM

Post #5211085

I hate hail in the summer also. Last week I got hit, my plants look tore to smitheriens.

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

July 6, 2008
7:39 PM

Post #5213347

Like Bernie I also collect keychains. But I think I have between 100-200 if I remember correctly. Been awhile since I counted. lol. And I am always looking for more when I go somewhere.
Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

July 19, 2008
8:42 PM

Post #5286479

bigbubbles, those are old insulators that you have. I have two of them and I used them as bird feeders for one and put a large candle in the other.
bigbubbles
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 23, 2008
2:38 PM

Post #5306924

Thanks for insulator confirmation. C Garden also ID'd it earlier, so I took it outside to use as a bird water station. Candle holder sounds interesting too!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Antiques and Collectibles Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Sampler 1801 Ginger_H 7 Aug 20, 2012 2:34 PM
mingmimi justmeLisa 6 Oct 20, 2007 11:51 AM
Wintermoor what is this? justmeLisa 7 Oct 1, 2011 7:20 PM
Do you collect Depression Glass? What pattern? bluegrassmom 82 Apr 11, 2011 10:14 PM
What do you consider your best "collectible/antique" find? nminmd 142 May 6, 2012 3:43 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America