Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Article: So Many Tomatoes, So Little Time: Melody...

Communities > Forums > Article: So Many Tomatoes, So Little Time
bookmark
Forum: Article: So Many Tomatoes, So Little TimeReplies: 23, Views: 155
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Kathleen
Panama, NY
(Zone 5a)

January 27, 2008
11:42 AM

Post #4459672

Yeesh, do you know how many months I have to wait to eat a tomato??? Just sitting here watching the cold and dark blow by salivatiing!
doccat5
Fredericksburg, VA
(Zone 7b)

January 27, 2008
12:02 PM

Post #4459683

Great article, I'm drooling as I'm typing. Am trying both the Cherokee Purple and the German Green this year, along with a couple other heirloom varieties I got in seed swaps. This should be interesting.
Elena
Middle, TN
(Zone 6b)

January 27, 2008
1:23 PM

Post #4459794

That is a great article and some really nice pictures, Melody. I am like the rest and can only dream of eating those delicious home grown tomatoes right now but what a nice dream it is on a cold winter day!!!!!
Dutchlady1
Naples, FL
(Zone 10a)

January 27, 2008
1:49 PM

Post #4459851

Lovely article.
bluekat76
Ijamsville, MD
(Zone 6b)

January 27, 2008
2:47 PM

Post #4460003

How did you pick lots of my favorites all in one article?!? Aunt Ruby's is my all time favorite. Thanks Melody for the reminder to narrow down my planting list and just maybe buy some seeds...

-Kim
Dea
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6a)

January 27, 2008
3:38 PM

Post #4460142

Mouth watering here too and agree with Kim - how did you come up with a list of our favorites also?

Wonderful article and thank you!

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

January 27, 2008
4:30 PM

Post #4460333

Melody, great article, your tomatos look so yummy!
planolinda
Plano, TX

January 27, 2008
4:40 PM

Post #4460368

was excited to read your article because i am going to try tomatoes this summer and spend a lot of time thinking about which ones, plants or seeds, store bought or catalog ordered etc --now i can add heirloom vs regular--and i need to find out why heirloom seems to be special

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

January 27, 2008
4:54 PM

Post #4460436

Heirlooms are special because someone has taken the time to lovingly save the seeds from their very best fruits for planting next year. They have a rich, true taste that I prefer.

Hybrids have generally been bred to make nice, perfect fruits that ship and store easily. This is usually done at the expense of taste, as the big seed companies breed for looks instead of what's inside. There are a few good exceptions, and a home grown hybrid is waaay better than it's supermarket cousin.

Some say that heirlooms are more disease-prone and don't produce as many fruits. Well, that may be somewhat accurate, but not really either. All tomatoes will be suseptable to disease. The hybrids that have the disease resistant labels are just that...'resistant'. They will get diseases too, they may last a week or two more than an heirloom, but not much.

Hybrids have been bred to produce more tomatoes supposedly, and possibly they do in some instances, but would you rather have 50 average tomatoes, or 30 wonderful ones?

I prefer the heirloom and Open Pollinated tomatoes. There are a great number of old commercial varieties that have great taste that weren't actually family saved.

Big Boy, Celebrity, Bradley, Jet Star, are all good hybrids.

I just prefer to think that I'm carrying on someone's legacy by keeping the old seeds around. It may be the only thing they left in this world when they passed. I have a connection to each person who consciously saved the seeds for future generations.

And besides that, the tomatoes are VERY good!
planolinda
Plano, TX

January 27, 2008
5:11 PM

Post #4460513

melody thank you for taking the time to educate me--oh i want the 30 wonerful tomatoes!! that is a nice thought to think of someone saving the seeds and just passing them from generation to generation--i used to think heirloom was just some nice term used to sell--i guess like saying "special"--i know, i know--how can i be this age and not know better?! i am glad to have learned just what it means
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 27, 2008
5:47 PM

Post #4460632

Oh, for a fresh Cherokee Purple bursting with flavor...Great article, Mel. It's always interesting to read your take on different varieties and the ways you enjoy using them.

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

January 27, 2008
9:13 PM

Post #4461418

Yeah, I'm a bit like Pavlov's dogs when it comes to thinking of beautiful vine ripened fruits in all of their glory. I was wistfully dreaming of warmer days with more exciting veggie choices when I wrote this...can't you tell?
Elena
Middle, TN
(Zone 6b)

January 27, 2008
9:30 PM

Post #4461522

Yep, and it put us in dream mode around here too. Albert read your article and started getting that LOOK in his eyes that he gets when he starts to plan his spring garden. I really do hope we have better gardening circumstances this year than we had last year.

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

January 27, 2008
10:22 PM

Post #4461726

Amen!
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

January 27, 2008
11:08 PM

Post #4461892

I sure am glad I waited till this late in the day to read this luscious article. I hate to think I would have spent this entire day drooling.
Thanks, Mel.
bmuller
Albuquerque, NM
(Zone 7a)

January 27, 2008
11:27 PM

Post #4461964

Wonderful article--thanks. I prefer heirlooms and open-pollinated, too--and have had good luck in our NM high desert climate with 2 in particular--Kellogg's Breakfast (love it) and Thessaloniki (a large red). I'm trying Aunt Ruby's German Green this year for the first time--wish me luck! Your picture and description make me even more eager to see how it turns out.
soive2000
Austin, TX

January 28, 2008
4:03 PM

Post #4464720

My favorite tomatoes are Porter tomatoes. They are orange/red and the most delicious and productive I have ever grown.
Thank you for the article it was great,
Anita
girlgroupgirl

January 28, 2008
5:18 PM

Post #4465075

I've become a tomato growing addict and I loved this article!

girlgroupgirl
VGMKY
Louisville, KY

January 28, 2008
11:09 PM

Post #4466389

Melody, I hope you are recovering from your accident. What better things to dwell on than thinking about springtime and growing your wonderful tomatoes. I have several which came from you and think of you each time I grow them! I owe my Grandfather and Grandmother for my interest in gardening.
I have a few packages of frozen tomatoes. The growing and the tasting provides experiences others have encountered over the years. For me it reminds me of blissful summers and cold winters when soups and sauces warmed the heart bringing back memories of boyhood days long ago.
You get well soon! You hear!!!
Gary

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

January 28, 2008
11:15 PM

Post #4466408

Thanks Gary!

I'm 'hobbling' around a bit, but for the most part, still house-bound. If it were just one broken ankle, I think I would have been out and pretty much doing as I pleased, but since both were broken, and there was so much tendon and ligament damage, I'm still pretty unsteady.

I'm finally feeling like myself though, the last 8 weeks were kind of a blur.
Elena
Middle, TN
(Zone 6b)

January 28, 2008
11:51 PM

Post #4466526

Praise the Lord that you are back on your feet, even if there are still problems. It will all work out eventually but you will need to take it easy and not overdo for quite a while. I know that will be hard for you but that is so much better than it might have been if you had been hurt more seriously. You are still alive although you are bunged up. I thank the Lord for that, my dear friend.
Love you buches,
Elena.

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

January 29, 2008
7:28 PM

Post #4470049

Melody, that's a good news, being again yourself !
Hugs,
Adina
FlowrLady
-South Central-, IL
(Zone 6a)

July 28, 2012
10:56 AM

Post #9221502

I know I'm 'bumping' this, but I want you to know how much I appreciate your articles on tomatoes. I'm choosing seed for 2013, and you have helped me choose some new ones.

Pat in Southern Illinois

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

July 28, 2012
11:16 AM

Post #9221520

;o)

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: So Many Tomatoes, So Little Time Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Home Grown Tomatoes joseyposey 1 Jan 28, 2008 10:41 PM
tomatoes cbaker1940 1 Jul 6, 2009 12:41 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America