Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Article: Making Your Own Bird Cakes, Rendering Fat for Suet: Here's a Better Way

Communities > Forums > Article: Making Your Own Bird Cakes, Rendering Fat for Suet
bookmark
Forum: Article: Making Your Own Bird Cakes, Rendering Fat for SuetReplies: 4, Views: 180
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Dotsy1
Steamboat Springs, CO

January 28, 2008
2:01 PM

Post #4464237

I used to render lard that way until I used the microwave and found it was faster, cleaner and didn't stink up the house!

Just put the fat and meat in a deep microwave-proof glass container with a lid. I have a deep Corning Ware ceramic 3 quart bowl with a glass lid that is perfect. They're available at WalMart and you'll find a million other uses for it.

Set the power on HIGH and in minutes you'll have clear hot fat with bits of crispy leftovers. You can throw those away or chop them up and mix in once they cool.

Birds love peanut butter and the really cheap stuff in big plastic jars (keep the empty for nuts, candy, etc.) is great to mix in. I also buy bulk oats, corn meal, and flour to mix in as well as crushed breakfast ceral. The mix-ins can be anything in the back of the pantry that can be crushed or broken up in a blender or food processor.

cathy4
St. Louis County, MO
(Zone 5a)

January 28, 2008
4:17 PM

Post #4464761

Thanks for this information, I'll try it next time!
Liquidambar2
Mount Vernon, KY

November 18, 2009
4:49 PM

Post #7286462

I too use to render fat, especially beef fat (tallow) because I use to make homemade soap.

There is a big difference in fat when it comes to soap. Tallow makes hard soap like wax, olive oil makes tiny bubbles, lard makes slimy soap, coconut or palm makes great big fluffly bubbles (but all alone it will dry out the skin) I use to mix my fats to make very nice soap. I used them all except the lard.

Anyway you are right in your article, I would ask the butcher at a meat producer to save me back pieces of beef fat. I have not done this now for a decade and it was 10 cents a pound back then too. Glad inflation has not affected fat.

I put mine in a great big canner with no water or anything. I put the setting on my extra stove (that was outside in the garage) on very low and let it go all day long. It just kind of melted down. It at first did not smell very good but by the end of the day, oh mine, it was wonderful! It also confussed my family into thinking I actually had a good dinner cooking. They were always disappointed if dinner turned out to be salmon patties instead of beef burgers. It was kind of cruel.

This message was edited Nov 18, 2009 11:56 AM
cathy4
St. Louis County, MO
(Zone 5a)

November 18, 2009
7:03 PM

Post #7286845

It would be nice to have an outside stove for this, my husband's bbq has a burner on the side, why didn't I think of that?

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

November 18, 2009
7:21 PM

Post #7286907

Fun helpful article, great added advice, and love the little story about Liquidamber's poor misled family. ROFL

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Making Your Own Bird Cakes, Rendering Fat for Suet Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
a very clear article Dutchlady1 6 Jan 27, 2008 3:05 PM
Nicely done! darius 1 Nov 24, 2009 4:27 AM
Was that a Piggy or Figgy Pudding? clbrown1952 2 Jan 27, 2008 11:19 PM
Fat is fat golfish 1 Jan 28, 2008 4:17 PM
Bacon grease drippings flowerette 15 Feb 15, 2010 8:01 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America